• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Twookie

rip cloud9
grave.gif
team_cloud9.gif
grave.gif

Hylian7

Wish Siltbreaker didn't require so much micro when they're locking your damn camera Diablo-style.

Yeah that was the #1 thing that turned me off of Siltreaker. I never even finished Act 1. I might go back and try again sometime.

I understand why the camera is locked, but I really hate it since this is still Dota we are playing, not Diablo.

RIP C9. putting all your eggs into EternalEnvy was an epic mistake. That's not someone you want associated with your brand as its face. They should have known better. They made the same mistake TWICE.

funny until I realized that is most likely a real child's actual burial site being used to help you deliver a fucking punchline.

then it stopped being funny. do better.

shira

RIP C9. putting all your eggs into EternalEnvy was an epic mistake. That's not someone you want associated with your brand as its face. They should have known better. They made the same mistake TWICE.

funny until I realized that is most likely a real child's actual burial site being used to help you deliver a fucking punchline.

then it stopped being funny. do better.

yikes, I thought it was a clown's grave.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if EE will be on Fnatic long enough to convince me to buy a Shirt for the team. I have been burned by him three times for team Jerseys.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just had a game of siltbreaker where our DK would constantly just type FF.
mayatomr_fume.gif

He kept just trying to run through the ice zone and when we would stop at a fire FF! And then wondered why he was taking damage...
cBj1LTf.png

mr stroke

So I decided to jump into DOTA for the first time last week

I've played the tutorial, 15 online games, and watched YouTube

I still suck, team is yelling at me, and don't understand what the hell is going on :

Is this normal ?

I still suck, team is yelling at me, and don't understand what the hell is going on :

Is this normal ?

Possibly....depnds on how badly you are playing..,..have you read purges guide? also play co-op bots until you believe you have found a set of heroes you like.

The tutorial isnt good enough for you to jump straight into online games sorry.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Have you tried doing the mode to play against a team of bots, but be matched with real players for your team? That may be easier to get the flow of the game down.

Also, what really helped when I was first starting was to go into Private Lobby, turning on cheats, gave myself max gold, and played around with all the different items. Can at least give you an idea of what all the different items do in the game, especially the ones that have active abilities.

Hylian7

Is this normal ?
Yes.

Even though the unranked games you are playing don't show any kind of MMR, there is a hidden MMR, and since you are new to the game, it's probably low. This means the teammates and opponents you face are likely either new as well, or just really bad and are probably doing something just as dumb, if not dumber than what they say you are doing. I went back and looked at my first few games, way back in 2011 where I had no idea what I was doing and fed enough to make a few Thanksgiving meals, and looked at my teammates and saw the dumbest items for their respective heroes. I didn't know at the time.

Playing is generally the best way to figure things out, but also be sure to check out the famous Purge guide titled "Welcome to Dota, You Suck". That guide may be slightly out of date on some mechanics and map changes (I don't know if it was updated after 7.00), but the majority of it still holds true to this day.

As for items, the default builds aren't bad, and can win you most of the games you play, but I also recommend using the in game guides, as they tell you stuff like skill builds and talents too.

Overall just learn as you play. If you try to sit there and study the whole chart of heroes and items at once, you're going to be overwhelmed.

Hylian7

who wants to sell me their snes classic preorder.

You could track down that guy in the preorder thread that posted screenshots of him getting like 10 of them and then gloating about how other people couldn't get them.

He got all his posts and posts about him deleted, and I think he was banned too.
Nintendo surely has plenty more in stock. What kind of idiot company would only sell a few thousand
Any company that extremely undersupplied even when they knew the demand existed would just be fucking stupid LUL

shira

i know you got snes classics sell me one.
These two are needed. Sorry.

I'll definitely make an effort to try and snag another online or in-store as it seems there isn't really a demand in my immediate area. I'm not good at winning any sort of lottery so it does feel very surreal to have gotten more than one.

You could track down that guy in the preorder thread that posted screenshots of him getting like 10 of them and then gloating about how other people couldn't get them.

He got all his posts and posts about him deleted, and I think he was banned too.
This guy?
Not banned

Hylian7

These two are needed. Sorry.

I'll definitely make an effort to try and snag another online or in-store as it seems there isn't really a demand in my immediate area. I'm not good at winning any sort of lottery so it does feel very surreal to have gotten more than one.

This guy?

Not banned
Yeah fuck that guy. I thought at least all his posts and posts about him in that thread got deleted, because I couldn't find them later.

I could spend 300 dollars on a frame meister and then 100 for a moded super famicom but the games are what's expensive and I will have to wait a long time for someone to make a starfox 2 repo cart.

traveler

Not Wario
Is taking a payment with a preorder and giving a "All sales final" warning illegal in America or something? I still don't understand why they don't do that and at least give dedicated fans a chance to guarantee one a year or more out- however they long they need to plan manufacturing. That + some stock to have on shelves seems perfectly reasonable to me, and, given the experiences people have had twice now, I don't think anyone will be complaining about being unable to cancel a preorder.

I got the one for myself because I happened to be awake for the Best Buy listing, but wouldn't mind another for a Christmas Gift. Won't push my luck though; grateful I got what I did.

Does the existence of 7.06f mean we won't see a major patch until after Hamburg?

All Nintendo really wants is shelf space at all these stores.

They create an item that drives people to the stores.

They don't really care about people who want these things to be able to get them.

mr stroke

Yes.

Even though the unranked games you are playing don't show any kind of MMR, there is a hidden MMR, and since you are new to the game, it's probably low. This means the teammates and opponents you face are likely either new as well, or just really bad and are probably doing something just as dumb, if not dumber than what they say you are doing. I went back and looked at my first few games, way back in 2011 where I had no idea what I was doing and fed enough to make a few Thanksgiving meals, and looked at my teammates and saw the dumbest items for their respective heroes. I didn't know at the time.

Playing is generally the best way to figure things out, but also be sure to check out the famous Purge guide titled "Welcome to Dota, You Suck". That guide may be slightly out of date on some mechanics and map changes (I don't know if it was updated after 7.00), but the majority of it still holds true to this day.

As for items, the default builds aren't bad, and can win you most of the games you play, but I also recommend using the in game guides, as they tell you stuff like skill builds and talents too.

Overall just learn as you play. If you try to sit there and study the whole chart of heroes and items at once, you're going to be overwhelmed.

great info, thank you :)

Curious: how long does it take to get good at DOTA 2?

Hylian7

great info, thank you :)

I wouldn't say good, rather just competent. It took me maybe a few months to really get a grip on things, where I could tell you what all the heroes and items did.

Granted skill, strategy, and all still takes longer to come along. It's hard to give a figure of that really.

shira

Is it because you never need to to win in LPQ?

How do you keep ending up in there anyway?
I can mid with like Axe or Doom, but I can't win a traditonal Invoker vs puck type matchup 1v1.

Last hitting too hard

Prolly cause I like to pause, allchat, and tip people who have no compendium

Yazzees

completely depends on what you mean by "good". there's a lot of e-peening where people say 4k, 5k etc are "still shit" even though it's already better than 90-95% of players.

I think low-3k is perceived as the "average non-casual player" for "person who knows the basics of the game, plays ranked regularly, participates in reddit discussions and shitposting" and that took me about 700 matches to reach. Varies wildly per person though.

if you mean just knowing all the heroes, items, skills, and generally who tends to build what and tends to lane where, it'll be much quicker.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I can't understand how 3k games work

Will I ever get back to 5k or will I have a one way ticket to 2k. Stay tune
Did you calibrate bp ranked last year? A near 1200 mmr drop is hard to explain outside of some form of inflation or you somehow getting worse at the game.

Top Bottom