• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting a new laptop after 7 years. What do I need?

So yeah finally upgrading and the thing ive feared the most is approaching.
How do I bring my next one up to scratch?
Easy mass installers, quality of life installs and so on?

Not really looking forward to the masses of updates and restarts lol

bionic77

You need solid-state of some kind. 100%.
This.

For me the things that really matter for a laptop are portability, speed, display, keyboard, trackpad and battery life.

Check out wirecutter.com for a quick summary of what the best options are.

500gig HDD with optional 128gig SSD?

youarealreadydead.gif

Ah says optional on there, mine has both SSD and HDD.

SSD can handle the OS and programs, the 500 is going to be just media/music files tbh. At the moment my current one has 500G total haha

nampad

So you already got the hardware and are worried about the software?

What is there to even worry about? Just click windows update, maybe update some drivers manually.
Are there really so many essential apps you need which qould require mass installations?
I can only think of a new webbrowser and VLC for videos. Maybe Steam if you want to play games.

So you already got the hardware and are worried about the software?

What is there to even worry about, just click windows update, maybe some drivers.
Are there really so many essential apps you need which qould require mass installations?
I can only think of a new webbrowser and VLC for videos. Maybe Steam if you want to play games.

I wouldn't say I'm worried, just feel like saving some time. That nite link in the first post will save me shit loads of time.
Also some people recommend cool programs I wouldn't have thought I needed.

nampad

I wouldn't say I'm worried, just feel like saving some time. That nite link in the first post will save me shit loads of time.
Also some people recommend cool programs I wouldn't have thought I needed.

Maybe it's just that I prefer a clean install and don't feel the need to install everything before I actually need it.

But the biggest time waster for me doing full reinstalls was actually backing my stuff up beforehand and the windows installation.
Still curious what kind of software you are using.

Top Bottom