• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Defenders - Reviews Thread

DeathyBoy

Banned
Can't really please everyone, which is fine. Both Jessica and Luke were very well received shows. Plenty of people think Jessica was the best Netflix show. I'd personally give that to S2 of Daredevil.

Punisher mini arc to start S2 was great. Then... the Hand suck. Stick is awful. But Marvel keeps doubling down on them for some stupid reason.

people sure have fragile hearts when it comes to super heroes.

I'm gonna bail out of here

giphy.webp

Sadist

People still pissed off because of the Hand huh

Those peeps should never read Daredevil comics or read up on other ressurections by the Hand.

Those include Wolverine and Hulk.

Since we are doing Netflix MCU rankings

Daredevil S2
Daredevil S1
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

Though I think the second half of Luke Cage is the worst thing Marvel has put out. But the first half is amazing which is why I put it above Iron Fist

hydruxo

Since we are doing Netflix MCU rankings

Daredevil S2
Daredevil S1
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

Though I think the second half of Luke Cage is the worst thing Marvel has put out. But the first half is amazing which is why I put it above Iron Fist

Yeah this would be my rating as well. S2 is my favorite almost solely because of the Punisher scenes, he carried that season.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Those peeps should never read Daredevil comics or read up on other ressurections by the Hand.

No people aren't pissed, they're just disappointed and bored by the way the Hand have been presented to us. A lot of things that were great in the comics haven't turned out that way in the MCU shows and movies, most of the villains for example.

It's been my experience that none of these shows can be judged by the early reviews of the first 4 episodes. They always seem to wildly vary between front and back half. I still think this being 8 episodes instead of 13 will be a good thing, but it is disappointing that it seems like they've dragged their feet a bit in the first four episodes.

Eh, I'm sure the series is fine at first. It's just the handling of the characters that's not so great.

Can't say I'm super looking forward to this series though.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I loved Daredevil Season 1, and I enjoyed Jessica Jones and Luke Cage to varying degrees.

I'm looking forward to this.

I'll watch it as Jessica Jones 1.5. I'm guessing JJ S2 will need Defenders context.

I don't remember Daredevil fighting The Hand in pitch black panels where you couldn't see shit.

But it's also worth noting that comparing Miller Hand to Netflix Hand is a serious downgrade.

Prompto

Banned
Daredevil Season 1 >>> Daredevil Season 2(first couple of episodes are great) > Luke Cage

I haven't seen Jessica Jones or Iron Fist. And I gave up on Luke Cage after his
brother shot him into a conveniently placed garbage truck that then proceeded to drive away.

a.wd

S1 dd
S1 LC (1ST half)
S2 DD
S1 JJ
S1 LC (2ND half)
S1 IF

I see Luke cage as 2 seasons, and the rest as reasonably consistent (with poor pacing).

Defenders is likely to be a good tie up for the marvel Netflixverse, just in time for some really deep cuts from the archives, moon Knight TV series and then for the marvel TV aos, inhuman, Netflixverse crossover event.

Sadist

No people aren't pissed, they're just disappointed and bored by the way the Hand have been presented to us. A lot of things that were great in the comics haven't turned out that way in the MCU shows and movies, most of the villains for example.

I don't remember Daredevil fighting The Hand in pitch black panels where you couldn't see shit.

But it's also worth noting that comparing Miller Hand to Netflix Hand is a serious downgrade.
I was partially joking, but I do agree with the above. I wished the Hand would have been inserted into Daredevil in a more... believable way.

LotusHD

Banned
These 3-4 years were all for nothing then. And they stereotype Luke for a bit too. Just great.

Jk my ass is watching this.

Only 8 episodes? Of all the Marvel shows to get a shorter season, Defenders is the one that gets the 8 episode treatment? That makes no sense to me.

Right? I know they have a deal, but they should've given this more episodes, take em from the other shows lol

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Says the person who "bails out" after a few posts pointing out the silliness of his/her posts.

Maybe bail out is the wrong term. Take my hat and leave? Is that better? I mean, you think it's silly to think super heroes are over saturated. That makes you sound like a person it's completely useless to have even a tiny discussion with.

Simply put. I don't care enough about super heroes to bother.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Punisher mini arc to start S2 was great. Then... the Hand suck. Stick is awful. But Marvel keeps doubling down on them for some stupid reason.

Stick is one of the best characters in the Netflix shows and I had no issues with the Hand/Elektra arc.

I will say I liked the Punisher stuff more but I thought the whole season was fantastic.

I'm gonna bail out of here, cause people sure have fragile hearts when it comes to super heroes. I'm not asking anyone to stop doing anything. At all. I'm just kinda full with it. Get it? It was a nice meal. I've had the same desert for a few years now, and I'm ready for a change. Am I so blind that I can't see there's other stuff being made? Nah. But the big budget blockbuster stuff is dominated by super heroes. Is that a crime, and I trying to make it stop? Nah, I'm not as invested in this as you, clearly. I'm just bored with it by now.

Mostly, I'm just ready for my collectible websites to find something else to report on than yet another lkne of marvel figurines. But hey, my problem, not yours. You can relax. Peace. Go back to dicussing the defenders, which is the show my original post was about. The rest of it was just me kinda gently venting over not being a fan of everything being so connected. Not my cup of tea.

But I am very happy it's yours and I hope you have a fantastic time.

Translation: You want a multi-billion dollar company, like Marvel, whose main business is comic books, to capitulate to your personal interests for "something else"because you are too lazy to tune them out and find other forms of entertainment for yourself.

This is projection, I believe.

Appears that way.

Also, for the record, Contica, nothing about my posts screams I am "invested" as you keep trying to say to make your point.

Mariolee

After Twin Peaks, I've learned to be so so patient so if they don't team until later in the show, as long as there's quality stuff before that then I'm fine.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Comic con really disappointed me this year, it's just one super hero after anothrr at the expense of everything else. Oh well.

It's Comic Con

Literally a convention about comic books

And you didn't expect superheroes?

These 3-4 years were all for nothing then. And they stereotype Luke for a bit too. Just great.

Jk my ass is watching this.

Right? I know they have a deal, but they should've given this more episodes, take em from the other shows lol

The reviewer complaining about the Luke Cage scenes is reaching. In the first episode, they played a D'angelo love song and Mos Def and Mobb Deep. In all three scenes they were appropriate. Also after watching the first episode, I was surprised that the show is closer in scope as the first Avengers movie.

LotusHD

Banned
There's still hope:

Defenders calls out Danny’s privilege immediately and bluntly, and–in some of the most entertaining scenes of these episodes–smartly frames Danny as what he is: an immensely naive and socially stunted weirdo who foolishly throws money at the problems his infrequently used Iron Fist can’t solve. The show gives Danny just as much side-eye as Tumblr did, and that finally makes the character work. You can actually see Jones’ performance shift in these four episodes, going from childishly stoic to shockingly watchable as soon as he’s put in close quarters with Luke, Jess, and Matt. I did not expect Iron Fist to win me over in these four episodes, but here we are.

http://decider.com/2017/07/24/netfl...m_source=DeciderTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow
The reviewer complaining about the Luke Cage scenes is reaching. In the first episode, they played a D'angelo love song and Mos Def and Mobb Deep. In all three scenes they were appropriate. Also after watching the first episode, I was surprised that the show is closer in scope as the first Avengers movie.

Cool, good to know.

Sounds like another dull one. Hard pass. I really hope this trend of Netflix marvel being so boring doesn't translate to the punisher show

Seriously there's so much potential for a great action crime show there to fill the void that Banshee and Strike Back left. With a fantastic lead too. It can't be anything like the other marvel shows tho.

Pachimari

Even though I'm not excited, I am still gonna watch this. I wanna see Jessica Jones' interactions with the group, which seems to be a strong point of the team up. And I'll never ever say no to more Daredevil. Also wanna see if they really do improve upon Danny Rand, cause I want the character to succeed. That said, I'm sick of the Hand at the moment.

Tobor

Sounds like another dull one. Hard pass. I really hope this trend of Netflix marvel being so boring doesn't translate to the punisher show

Seriously there's so much potential for a great action crime show there to fill the void that Banshee and Strike Back left. With a fantastic lead too. It can't be anything like the other marvel shows tho.

What are you reading that implies "dull"? These reviews are alll solid.

Anyway, bring it on. I have patience to let the show build over the first four episodes. Can't wait to get started!

I don't have any expectations from this.

I hope it's good, but considering Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron fist are all trash, I can't get my hopes up.

Please be good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't have any expectations from this.

I hope it's good, but considering Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron fist are all trash, I can't get my hopes up.

Please be good.

If you think Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are "all trash," I somehow doubt you'll enjoy this.

If you think Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are "all trash," I somehow doubt you'll enjoy this.

Alright, to be fair, Iron Fist is possibly the worst thing that Netflix has done. It's an abomination.

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are just bad shows with bad writing and horrendous action scenes. They are definitely better than Iron Fist.

All three have incredibly poorly chosen leads though. Luke Cage dude looks the part, but can't act and if the stiffest human being I've ever seen on film. Iron Fist guy looks like he's never thrown a punch and it shows. I actually like Jessica Jones the actress, but not in that role. Doesn't work.

It's Discotheque.

Nobody asked you lame.

And yeah some of the review excerpts do imply the first 4 are off to a slow start. Based on precedent with these other shows I don't think I'll be into the slow burn of this one.

Hopefully punisher is pretty far removed from Netflix marvels writing and pacing in the past. The concept could make for an awesome action show

I'm in love with your name. Who are you darling?

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I've not seen Luke Cage or Iron Fist.

Someone suggested to me for Iron Fist I should watch the first episode and the last as a lot of nothing of note happens in between. Should I do this?

LotusHD

Banned
I've not seen Luke Cage or Iron Fist.

Someone suggested to me for Iron Fist I should watch the first episode and the last as a lot of nothing of note happens in between. Should I do this?

Yea sure why not... I guess. First episode introduces you to Danny, Last episode lets you know what to probably expect for Season 2, as well as how it leads into the Defenders. Although specifically regarding the Defenders, you only really need to see like the last 5 minutes.

Top Bottom