• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Same. And plus with those engines their running (forged internals, tons of aero) at least you know their being abused. I absolutely love the aero on time attack cars these days. Even if they resemble little of the production car. I even hear that amateurs are running sequential gearboxes.

My favorite crazy aero car

095-000-Feat-RadotC-Lead-1078x516.jpg

Futaba

Personally, I only watch RCR, Mighty Car Mods, Motor Trend, SavageGeese, The Smoking Tire, Redline Reviews, Everyday Driver, and Doug DeMuro. All these other YouTubers are just garbage tbh... feels like as if they're talking to a child to get their point across.

Let me also suggest Bad Obsession Motorsport and to some extent, b is for build (the later gets things wrong a lot but he isn't afraid of getting his hands dirty on a task he hasn't done before)

Bad obsession though, combine British humor with sexual innuendoes and a real skill for fabrication and problem solving and you get a mix of entertaining, educational and interesting viewing, the only real downside is that the video releases are spaced months apart, but at last it's not an insane marathon to catch up.

They're currently completely gutting and overhauling a mini and slapping a Celica ST185 3SGTE engine into it.

J-Rzez

What's the best product for removing water spots on windows? Have a leak in my garage that I've neglected to patch up and the car has paid the price for it in the form of water spots that are deeply embedded :/

Sorry if you got them out, I check the thread every so often.

If the spots are surface, you can use a clay bar on the windshield. That doesn't work, then use a fresh razor blade and diluted alcohol. Now, if the spots are below the surface, the razor won't work, maybe catch edges and make it worse. Finally, worst case, glass polish wheel, but those should be left to the professionals since its many steps, even I wouldn't tackle it.

Let me also suggest Bad Obsession Motorsport and to some extent, b is for build (the later gets things wrong a lot but he isn't afraid of getting his hands dirty on a task he hasn't done before)

Bad obsession though, combine British humor with sexual innuendoes and a real skill for fabrication and problem solving and you get a mix of entertaining, educational and interesting viewing, the only real downside is that the video releases are spaced months apart, but at last it's not an insane marathon to catch up.

They're currently completely gutting and overhauling a mini and slapping a Celica ST185 3SGTE engine into it.

Man, Bad Obsession is SOO good. I just wish they updated more. Been watching B is for Build and Speed Academy a lot lately. SA is run by the main guys behind the old Modified Magazine.

When looking at NBs what is a good price to get them at? I know it depends but in what price range would they be considered a good deal.

Get a 2001+

The 99s and 00s have awful seats and lack the Variable Valve Timing.
Plus the bumpers look bad.

Depends on the mileage but for a nice 01+ NB you are looking between 4-7k.

Evo X

Profit per car sold:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a32989/ferrari-porsche-per-car-profit/

Porsche is still averaging the $17,250 I mentioned previously ($15-20K, to be exact). BMW still at $5K.

And the cost of an average Porsche? 99K

One thing we learned in training yesterday is that the average household income of a Porsche owner is $517k, which is far higher than the next competitor, which was Jaguar at $227k. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi were all the same around high 190s, low 200s.

Lexus was at the bottom with $147k.

Really helps understand the mindset of the buyer. We don't need to lower the prices on our cars because they are exclusive and the customers obviously have the money to spend.

But at the same time the customer is used to being treated with extreme respect and hospitality and have very high standards so we really need to step it up compared to most sales individuals.

golem

Ok, a while back, I said I'd post some pictures of the new car I got for my family after my last one died. It's been a real pleasure to drive in the last two weeks since I took delivery of it. I just got back from auto crossing it today, too.
Awesome! Really want to drive one of these

rokkerkory

One thing we learned in training yesterday is that the average household income of a Porsche owner is $517k, which is far higher than the next competitor, which was Jaguar at $227k. Mercedes, BMW, and Audi were all the same around high 190s, low 200s.

Really helps understand the mindset of the buyer. We don't need to lower the prices on our cars because they are exclusive and the customers obviously have the money to spend.

But at the same time the customer is used to being treated with extreme respect and hospitality and have very high standards so we really need to step it up compared to most sales individuals.

Id say lexus dealers treat their customers better than bmw though lol

But damn 517k avg income for P drivers? I have some ways to go.

Pterion

Close friend of mine put a deposit on the new GT3. Won't be here until fall. Can't wait!

I'm picking up a new car today for my wife. She didn't care much for luxury brands, and she saw the best value in a fully loaded Hyundai Sonata. Heating steering wheel, ventilated seats, panoramic sunroof, the latest advanced driving aids, etc. Now it's my turn to pick a new ride. Considering a 991.2 but not willing to pay the Porsche tax yet...

Pterion

Shit, I'm dragging the average Porsche owner down. Not even clearing 80k a year. Still, I'm only 32. Got some ways to go yet.
Not sure how true that is, honestly. Last I heard was around 290k MEDIAN income, and that was a couple of years ago. For it to almost double in such a short time would be surprising. Maybe they mean MEAN income, which is easily manipulated by outliers (i.e. Bill Gates buys a Porsche). Porsche isn't the IRS either...

Awesome! Really want to drive one of these

It's an amazing car, especially for autocrossing and track. On the streets, it's a really nice car that's more comfortable than what you'd expect a sports car to be like, but it really changes its personality when it's driven where it's most at home, which is on track and autocrossing.

Shit, I'm dragging the average Porsche owner down. Not even clearing 80k a year. Still, I'm only 32. Got some ways to go yet.

That's actually really interesting. Do you know if those figures include just new cars purchase or do they also include used car sales?

I've heard before that the average Porsche Cayman owner averages about $300K/year, while 911 owner averages are much higher, double that.

I always thought those figures were crazy and if true, I am definitely at the bottom end of the range, nowhere near the average.

From my personal experience, it seems like most Porsche customers tend to be fairly laid-back, respectful, easy to deal with, and know what they want most of the time. I remember putting up much more of a fight when negotiating discounts on past cars, but it was surprisingly simple at Porsche. I knew I couldn't get much of a discount so I just didn't care much, but I asked for a 2-3% discount and they gave me a little over 3% discount as well as finance rates much lower than I got pre-approved for from my credit union. It was the fastest I've ever walked into and out of a dealership. I was pleased. I've stayed at dealerships like Mazda and Mercedes for 3-6 hours before and that's never fun.

Id say lexus dealers treat their customers better than bmw though lol

But damn 517k avg income for P drivers? I have some ways to go.

To be fair, I think both Lexus and BMW in my area treated me better than Mercedes did. However, I also realized it depends on the dealership. One BMW dealership treated me just as poorly as the Mercedes dealership in my area, while another BMW dealership not too far away treated me with the utmost respect. Just depends on who you meet that day or the general dealership atmosphere and environment.

rokkerkory

That's actually really interesting. Do you know if those figures include just new cars purchase or do they also include used car sales?

I've heard before that the average Porsche Cayman owner averages about $300K/year, while 911 owner averages are much higher, double that.

I always thought those figures were crazy and if true, I am definitely at the bottom end of the range, nowhere near the average.

To be fair, I think both Lexus and BMW in my area treated me better than Mercedes did. However, I also realized it depends on the dealership. One BMW dealership treated me just as poorly as the Mercedes dealership in my area, while another BMW dealership not too far away treated me with the utmost respect. Just depends on who you meet that day or the general dealership atmosphere and environment.

Generally Id agree with you sure. I am in bay area and it's a hit or miss. My bmw buying experience was great because I konda knew the fleet manager and dealt with him directly. While my friends had pretty avg to bad experience at same dealer.

Lexus dealers here have decent sentiment. Actually Acura too.

Edit: My 2 mazda experiences from different dealers were on par with bmw lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So Kei Muria just released a render of the Pandem S2K.
17426264_10154786765364902_7817944773175932451_n.jpg

I don't think i like it better than the M&M Racing.

My understanding of the s2000 is that the factory engine is so highly tuned and wrung out that getting more hp out of it is really difficult and expensive
Is that a myth?

KRaZyAmmo

My understanding of the s2000 is that the factory engine is so highly tuned and wrung out that getting more hp out of it is really difficult and expensive
Is that a myth?

From what I understand the F20C with a 3mm head gasket can supposively handle 700hp. But they can also blow up at 300hp. I did hear someone did have a S2000 build with a 701 hp with the stock motor (unsure if the internals were forged and strengthened) on the F20C. It honestly depends on how the tune is. (don't quote me on this)

boltz

summer season 2017 opened on saturday.
C3A8742B-BA54-40E8-BE74-EB747B9AAEE2.jpg

Side Note: never diss the mechanic when the entertainment unit is not working after the tire change before pressing the obscure on/off button yourself.

Stealth brag - I'm glad that I can run my summer tires all year round :)

I imagine a lot of Lexus owners come from Toyotas and want a little more luxury without having too much cost of ownership, which would obviously bring down the average household income for them. That Porsche number is just on a different level from everyone else, lol.

Generally Id agree with you sure. I am in bay area and it's a hit or miss. My bmw buying experience was great because I konda knew the fleet manager and dealt with him directly. While my friends had pretty avg to bad experience at same dealer.

Lexus dealers here have decent sentiment. Actually Acura too.

Edit: My 2 mazda experiences from different dealers were on par with bmw lol.

I live in the area, too. So we've probably been to the same dealerships across the South Bay and maybe even San Francisco and East Bay. The BMW of Stevens Creek was actually really pleasant to deal with. I bought a used car there last year and they treated me with respect. However, BMW of Mountain View treated me about the same as Mercedes of Stevens Creek, which I was outright ignored because I am not on the older side, didn't come with a girl/parents/whatever, or made myself look like a target audience for a luxury vehicle. My 17-year old Japanese daily driver car pulling up to these dealers probably didn't help them think I can afford anything. Then again, Mercedes of San Jose were stellar and treated my family with respect. Toyota of Stevens Creek wasn't as good as Mazda of Capitol in San Jose, etc.

My point is, even though there are multiple dealers of the same brand, each dealership can be very different. I'm sure there are bad Porsche dealerships, but in the Bay Area, they have all been stellar in the way they've treated my family. Ultimately, this was one of the reasons I decided to go with them instead of other brands even though they're more expensive.

I think those numbers are trying to tell me I cannot afford a Porsche.

Half a milli is average for a Porsche owner?

What?

Don't believe that. These are just averages. Not many people buy their sports cars anymore, usually due to practicality but also price. But most of their profit comes from their Cayenne's and Macan's. Especially with their new Macan's, it's easier than ever to get into the Porsche family and they handle so incredibly well, even their base Macan. If you just want to own a Porsche in the future and you want new, then you can always get a Macan, a practical and great handling vehicle. If you want a Porsche but can't afford new, then just wait a few years and get used with certified pre-owned. I think anyone can afford these cars if they save up enough money and have a cushion for maintenance/repairs in the long term.

The real question is how much money do you have to track/autocross/change out tires and such for these cars. I've heard some people spending $16,000 on rallying these cars and tracking them each year, or more. It's insane.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Half a milli is average for a Porsche owner?

What?

People buying Cayennes and Macans don't make $500K HHI. Believe me. There is definitely some play with those numbers that involves fuzzy math.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Stealth brag - I'm glad that I can run my summer tires all year round :)

I'd love to as well, but winter can have its fun moments as well. Need to get a decent set of rims and tires for the next winter season, though. The current ones were some kind of an emergency buy because the car was built about two months earlier than expected.

rokkerkory

People buying Cayennes and Macans don't make $500K HHI. Believe me. There is definitely some play with those numbers that involves fuzzy math.

If i made 500k a P car would prob be a daily and not weekend car haha

Prob a nice macan gts for dd and an F or Mclaren car for weekend. Of course outside of the 918 spyder that is but for a 918 id need to be raking in a few million per year.

yamo

Average household income is probably the income of two people, unless one is a stay at home dad/mom. So 517k is not really that much!
lol

matmanx1

Wow, that seems pretty off the charts although I imagine this was just for new cars and not pre-owned sales. I know that when I bought my 2007 Boxster a couple of years ago our household income was below 100k with both my wife and myself together. We were obviously far below the average but we didn't have much debt so it was doable.

I've gotten a much better paying job since then so we're in a better place financially and could afford a Macan or Cayman/Boxster but am committed to paying off the house (next year, woohoo!) and building the garage (this year, woohoo!) before our next luxury car purchase.

I've also told the wife she gets the next car. I've had like half a dozen different ones while she's been driving the same Altima since 2008. She literally drives hers til the wheels fall off though so it may be a while...

Still, I would love to be able to walk in to a Porsche dealership in a few years and walk out with a CPO Macan GTS. That's what I'm aiming for currently.

Wow, that seems pretty off the charts although I imagine this was just for new cars and not pre-owned sales. I know that when I bought my 2007 Boxster a couple of years ago our household income was below 100k with both my wife and myself together. We were obviously far below the average but we didn't have much debt so it was doable.

I've gotten a much better paying job since then so we're in a better place financially and could afford a Macan or Cayman/Boxster but am committed to paying off the house (next year, woohoo!) and building the garage (this year, woohoo!) before our next luxury car purchase.

I've also told the wife she gets the next car. I've had like half a dozen different ones while she's been driving the same Altima since 2008. She literally drives hers til the wheels fall off though so it may be a while...

Still, I would love to be able to walk in to a Porsche dealership in a few years and walk out with a CPO Macan GTS. That's what I'm aiming for currently.

Congrats! Those goals all seem great. Hopefully you achieve all of the house goals. And I see your time at the Porsche Experience Center definitely sold you on the Macan!

I'm somewhat considering a Macan S for the upcoming year as well for my daily...but not sure yet.

J-Rzez

When the hell is Toyota going to unveil the Supra already? This is getting ridiculous.

I hope its there when I go to NYIAS, but I doubt it.

KRaZyAmmo

When the hell is Toyota going to unveil the Supra already? This is getting ridiculous.

It seems like Toyota is in a struggle on unveiling the Supra. I wanna guess something is going on with the collab with BMW. The JZA80 still looks great.
p4-5.jpg

friday

When looking at NBs what is a good price to get them at? I know it depends but in what price range would they be considered a good deal.

Depends on a lot of factors, but in general drive-able NB's can be found for 3.5K to 8K. The high end is a car that is in great shape, has under 100k miles, and probably a hardtop. The once below 4K are going to have some body damage, but not always severe, and above 100k, possibly above 150K miles.

Also, prices can vary quite a bit depending on region. Convertibles are much more common in warmer climates. Miatas are dirt cheap in California.

Anion

I read that initially as average owners income, but if it's average household income - that's a bit more reasonable. But I still kinda can't believe that (I hope they removed the outliers cause that doesn't count lol)

matmanx1

Honestly all of the Japanese manufacturers need to step up their game when it comes to enthusiast models except for Mazda (who skews towards driving pleasure anyway). It's gotten a little better lately with the 86 twins and the Civic Type R but for the most part they are WAY behind their American and German counterparts.

KRaZyAmmo

Honestly all of the Japanese manufacturers need to step up their game when it comes to enthusiast models except for Mazda (who skews towards driving pleasure anyway). It's gotten a little better lately with the 86 twins and the Civic Type R but for the most part they are WAY behind their American and German counterparts.

I agree with this. Nissan needs to get back into the game with a affordable moddable Silvia. Honda does have great little sport cars in Japan like the S660, a new Integra would be great if it can be affordable like the DC2 ITR that we got. I would say Suzuki Swift is a great FF hot hatch, but don't know if Suzuki is even sold here anymore (most likely not). I wanna say Nissan has the best chance right now to bring out a affordable sports as people are hunting for 180sx/240sxs (I'm also one of them).

v1lla21

I agree with this. Nissan needs to get back into the game with a affordable moddable Silvia. Honda does have great little sport cars in Japan like the S660, a new Integra would be great if it can be affordable like the DC2 ITR that we got. I would say Suzuki Swift is a great FF hot hatch, but don't know if Suzuki is even sold here anymore (most likely not). I wanna say Nissan has the best chance right now to bring out a affordable sports as people are hunting for 180sx/240sxs (I'm also one of them).
Nissan announces em for release, comes with cvt. Paddle shifters extra for more fun sportiness.

Depends on a lot of factors, but in general drive-able NB's can be found for 3.5K to 8K. The high end is a car that is in great shape, has under 100k miles, and probably a hardtop. The once below 4K are going to have some body damage, but not always severe, and above 100k, possibly above 150K miles.

Also, prices can vary quite a bit depending on region. Convertibles are much more common in warmer climates. Miatas are dirt cheap in California.
Thanks. Yeah keeping my eyes on sales to see how it goes. Should definitely pick it up by September the latest. Found a guy selling is mazdaspeed Miata for 8k.

Gonna keep my eyes out for trypto too 😎😎

Thanks. Yeah keeping my eyes on sales to see how it goes. Should definitely pick it up by September the latest. Found a guy selling is mazdaspeed Miata for 8k.

Gonna keep my eyes out for trypto too 😎😎

Wow, are you also in the Bay Area? If you are, you'll probably find me up on Alice's Restaurant or Skyline Blvd on weekends or prowling around at night.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I would love to know how strongly outliers are affecting those HHI numbers.

J-Rzez

Honda is doing Honda again, with their performance civics, and NSX. They're missing a S2000-esque car, maybe a Integra/prelude slotted car. Nissan makes a GT-R and the 370 lived long past its respective welcome. Mazda has its miata and overall sporty nature, but its missing its RX-7 type car.

Toyota is missing it all. Period. Needs this Supra badly, a GT-Four, and MR2. They are the dulist of the dull people mover makers.

Subaru is the only one on point but its STI needs help, bring back the 22B.

I just want the 90s glory days of Japan back.

It seems like Toyota is in a struggle on unveiling the Supra. I wanna guess something is going on with the collab with BMW. The JZA80 still looks great.
p4-5.jpg

Toyota surely needs this car to be good, and welcome. Because their enthusiast offerings are basically nil. Not to mention their remaining hopefully and others will lose their shit if they screw this car up.

Futaba

I just want the 90s glory days of Japan back.
I believe 失われた十年 is to blame here. The massive drop in economic growth coincides almost perfectly with the end in Japan's production of such vehicles, mainly because their primary markets were tightening the purse strings and no longer wanted the more expensive sporty offerings, even now the sportier new cars rely mostly on iconic heritage to sell in Japan, the majority of buyers are perfectly happy with stepwagons and Kei cars, in general the number of younger drivers with any vested interest in car modification, racing, tuning etc has declined steeply, that loss of demand locally is likely why very few Japanese auto companies are willing to rebirth an older classic, he'll look at the last actual celica, the VVTI, that things in my opinion (as someone that's owned an st183, three st185's and an st205) a freaking abomination, looks terrible and gets progressively uglier the more modifications are added.

Most sporty sedans here seem more comfortable with chasing the Audi and BMW infrastructure and styling (e.g., Lexus RCF) then doing anything as outlandish as releasing a car with a new, dinosaur drinking 2JZ

Also, it's off topic somewhat but despite having the financials to buy mostly any Porsche, I never would, mainly because for that sort of money I could buy 10+ iconic Japanese vehicles such as sultans, 180sx, fairladys, skylines,ae86 etc, and have a hell of a lot more fun and still have change left over for a second set of tires for each to burn up.
Just completely different approaches to driving for them, they get praised on the driving feel, comfort and luxury, but the only part of that I care about is driving feel, and I'm willing to bet a junky s13 feels a lot better going sideways down a mountain inches from the guard rail than any Porsche, partly because you know clipping anything isn't going to break the bank and you can focus, completely, on enjoying yourself.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

You haven't seen the latest pics of the car driving around? They've taken off some more camo so you can actually see the headlight shape...and the front end looks absolutely generic (there's still some padding and cladding going on at the nose tip). The rear seems nice and actually resembles the old car. But the front, just bleh.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-supra-spied-up-close-at-gas-station/

I'm warning you...low expectations.

Futaba

You haven't seen the latest pics of the car driving around? They've taken off some more camo so you can actually see the headlight shape...and the front end looks absolutely generic (there's still some padding and cladding going on at the nose tip). The rear seems nice and actually resembles the old car. But the front, just bleh.

It looks so shit.

Wow, are you also in the Bay Area? If you are, you'll probably find me up on Alice's Restaurant or Skyline Blvd on weekends or prowling around at night.

Didn't realize there were so many bay area locals here. I'm moving to the mountain view area (ish) in a couple months.

v1lla21

oh god kill me if that happens. Someone would be bound to manual swap the transmission if that happened. Daigo Saito did it with the R35 GT-R
DaigoSaito-FDGTR-15-1200x800.jpg

DaigoSaito-FDGTR-14-1200x800.jpg
Lol that's cool but I honestly think they'd probably not offer a manual version.

Everyone goes to skyline Blvd or hwy 9 :p

J-Rzez

Oh yeah. I've seen them, I just want them to take the wrap off already. I don't know if theyre hiding something nice under that junk wrap, and, more concerning, what's its engine(s)?

Everyone goes to skyline Blvd or hwy 9 :p

I know...You're all missing out on some great roads on the east side such as Mount Hamilton, Sierra Road, Calaveras, and even as far as North Mines Road in Livermore!

Didn't realize there were so many bay area locals here. I'm moving to the mountain view area (ish) in a couple months.

Congratulations! Mountain View is a wonderful area. I enjoy the downtown area quite a bit.

I'm somewhat surprised there's a lot of Bay Area locals here in the AutoGaf group, too.

While I know the US has a time attack scene (Global Time Attack and mostly in CA), I've been following Japan's Attack Time Attack series. Makes me wish there were more race tracks around. (Also these are the type of cars I'm really interested in).

Autobahn JZZ30 Soarer
Deep Grip FD3S
Under Suzuki S15
Escort CT9A EVO 9
Admix BNR32
Kyushu Danji NSX
Trust S15
Agent K PS13
Not all S chassis are drift machines lol

I've followed Option, Rev Speed, and other Japanese car magazines... I love TA builds, and even was able to visit Japan during a HKS premium day.

You've picked quite a few quality builds my man!

KRaZyAmmo

I've followed Option, Rev Speed, and other Japanese car magazines... I love TA builds, and even was able to visit Japan during a HKS premium day.

You've picked quite a few quality builds my man!

HKS is gonna try to take the Tsukuba Circuit record back from Under Suzuki with a new time attack ZN6 build GTS800. It's built specifically FOR Tsukuba circuit.

Top Bottom