• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club |OT| Go for the shins! THE SHINS!!

Khrno

Just coming in to say that I too got the game, fun so far. Being waiting for it since it got first announced on ND some time back.

sugarless

My 3DS XL is out for repair, so can't get this yet. Can anyone who has it tell us how many characters you get when naming your team and the players?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Played a few matches so far, it's a lot of fun even if the starting team is rubbish! The card system makes it feel more like an RPG than the likes of Football Manager and the visual style is great too.

I agree :)

What are you gonna name your team?

Schuster. It was the name of the club I played for when I was young.

Do you actually 'play' the matches, or just watch?

Just watch, make substitution, and so on. during matches you are the "coach"

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Played 13 matches, lost every single one. No idea what I'm doing wrong and the game doesn't really give any hint other than "train your team with these cards to get better!"

Just watch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Played 13 matches, lost every single one. No idea what I'm doing wrong and the game doesn't really give any hint other than "train your team with these cards to get better!"

try to position the "line" of yuor team on the field to cover your defense, initially.
continue training a lot, so play "exibition matches" before starting the real championship season.
I've got only draws and losses in the pre-season exibitions but they helped me in growing footballer skills before the league

SHarris78

Just bought this. Played my first match and won 2 - 0, towering header for the second!

Reminds of the 'manager' games for the Commodore 64 / Spectrum where you choose a team and then just sit there whilst the 90 mins ticks down and hope your goal number increases whilst the oppositions doesn't.....I loved those games!!

1404813_f520.jpg

As an American who never understood how we commandeered the name "football", this just made me cackle in my cubicle. Thank you, kind stranger.

sugarless

As an American who never understood how we commandeered the name "football", this just made me cackle in my cubicle. Thank you, kind stranger.

IIRC, 'rugby football' emerged as a popular variant of football (i.e. soccer) in the UK, then that was taken to the US, and the rules were adapted until it became (American) football, a separate sport in its own right. So the 'football' part comes from the sport's heritage as a descendent of (soccer) football. In any case the ball is still counted as a ball due to how it's used, despite its shape (ball does not equal sphere), and foot contact is still made to score points.

RiggyRob

Aww yeah, I'm downloading this on a coach using a shitty phone connection but it'll be oh so sweet when it's done.

Tyldesley Titans represent!

Lucifon

Just watch, make substitution, and so on. during matches you are the "coach"

Oh :( That's a shame, I got a sensible soccer vibe from it.

Aww yeah, I'm downloading this on a coach using a shitty phone connection but it'll be oh so sweet when it's done.

Tyldesley Titans represent!

Hey, if that's your surname it's very very close to mine! Not often you see a surname like that :)

Randdalf

IIRC, 'rugby football' emerged as a popular variant of football (i.e. soccer) in the UK, then that was taken to the US, and the rules were adapted until it became (American) football, a separate sport in its own right. So the 'football' part comes from the sport's heritage as a descendent of (soccer) football. In any case the ball is still counted as a ball due to how it's used, despite its shape (ball does not equal sphere), and foot contact is still made to score points.

Rugby isn't so much a variety of football (soccer) as it is a different formalisation of the notion of old 'football', it's more like a sibling than a descendant.

fred

Downloaded. Bit pricey tho.

Will try to get lots of work done today so I can enjoy it tonight.

Struggling to think of a decent team name.

I usually end up with either Real Madras or Dynamo Kebab lol

Think I might have to pick this up.

Mael

Finally I really need to have this game!
Been waiting for this since the 1rst ND it was announced, I hope they provide enough letters and you're not limited to only 1 team...

RiggyRob

Hey, if that's your surname it's very very close to mine! Not often you see a surname like that :)
It's not, it's the name of my hometown, although Tyldesley isn't that rare a surname in the UK - Clive Tyldesley is the football
commentator for ITV for example.

Ezalc

The fact that this isn't up for America is a travesty, make use of the World Cup fever dammit.

Somebody post the superplay video it's hilarious

This, jesus NoA get your head out of your ass. I know the US doesn't really like soccer but the rest of the countries in the Americas are batshit crazy about it.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

try to position the "line" of yuor team on the field to cover your defense, initially.
continue training a lot, so play "exibition matches" before starting the real championship season.
I've got only draws and losses in the pre-season exibitions but they helped me in growing footballer skills before the league

Alright, I'll restart and give it that a go, thanks. Don't want to label the game as terrible in my review just because I'm bad at it so I'm willing to try different methods to see what works.

RiggyRob

So, what formation is everyone going with?

I'm thinking 4-3-3 with a lone striker and 2 inside forwards/wingers, switching to 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 when defending/counter-attacking.

Kuntz

I'm in!
I'm usually terrible at those games because I like experimenting and not using what everyone uses to win.

Let's see where it leads me...

JoV

I always play Football Manager like this, try and turn hopeless youth prospects into world beaters. This game seems far more suited to that sort of thing!

Not quite got my head round the menu's for substituting and whatnot, and my goalie is utter balls, but otherwise am having fun.

Lucifon

It's not, it's the name of my hometown, although Tyldesley isn't that rare a surname in the UK - Clive Tyldesley is the football
commentator for ITV for example.

Ah damn. It's not the most common, outside of Coronation Street and the Footy Commentator I'm yet to know anyone else with it! My surname is spelt slightly different but sounds the same.

NoA please.

Nintendo Pocket Soccer Club
Nintendo Pocket Soccer League
Nintendo Handheld Soccer Club
Nintendo 3DS Soccer Club
Nintendo 3DS Division Soccer

Pocket Soccer has something to it.

Also, soccer is now a weird looking word.

fred

I'm really surprised that Nintendo haven't released this in the US given football's rise in popularity during the last 10 years or so. Very odd, particularly given that it's an eShop exclusive title, it's not as if it's cost them much to develop and publish.

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
Is there any way to see a players potential before you sign them?

Also, playing with a high defensiv line in the beginning is a sure way to lose.

Damn, this is a tough game. I only won my first match until now (still on practice matches), all I do is lose or draw. The game certainly has its charm and I already know the names of the players I so freaking hate on my team. Y'all getting sacked!

fred

It's taking forever to download. Was only 21% of the way through last time I checked. Really annoying that the Wii and 3DS storage space has always been given in blocks rather than MBs or GBs. Anyone know what size this thing is..?

M3d10n

Looking at the stats website, I can understand why there's no NA version yet. Unlike Europe, most countries in the Americas don't have official Nintendo presence or even their own eShops and a whole bunch of South Americans have their 3DSes set to US or Canada (thanks to the stupid country-locked NNIDs) *and* the disproportionally biggest NA market (the US) is indifferent to soccer, making the whole online stat tracking thing kinda not work right without some serious reworking.

Quick question. I'm out of space on my 3DS SD card, if I delete Ace Attorney to free up blocks will it keep the save data?

Yes. Nintendo added the option to keep a backup of the save when deleting games a few firmware updates ago. It's automatically restored when you re-download the game too.

It's taking forever to download. Was only 21% of the way through last time I checked. Really annoying that the Wii and 3DS storage space has always been given in blocks rather than MBs or GBs. Anyone know what size this thing is..?

1 block = 1 megabit.
8 megabits = 1 megabyte.

sugarless

Yes. Nintendo added the option to keep a backup of the save when deleting games a few firmware updates ago. It's automatically restored when you re-download the game too.

Should be obvious, but just to be clear: you have to hit the Save Data Backup option on the home menu for AA5 (it's on the lower edge of the touch screen once you touch the game's icon) first, then go and delete it to make room.

Owensboro

Also of note, we got the term "Soccer" from England.

Basically, WE LEARNED IT FROM YOU, DAD!

RiggyRob

It's 3000+ blocks so it's under 0.5GB, but my download stalled at 21% as well when I tried switching to sleep mode download.

8bit

Knows the Score
I used to love Football Manager on the Spectrum even though I had no idea what was going on. I did try one of the recent FM games but it was spreadsheets to infinity. This looks a bit more in line with my expectations and hopefully Kevin Toms won't get his cock out.

fred

I used to love Football Manager on the Spectrum even though I had no idea what was going on. I did try one of the recent FM games but it was spreadsheets to infinity. This looks a bit more in line with my expectations and hopefully Kevin Toms won't get his cock out.

Yup, Football Manager is number 3 in my best 5 games of all time list, it was number 2 until recently when The Wonderful 101 took its place.

I hate to think how many hours I put into that game.

Still playing the pre-season matches, but I've used quite a few cards and can already see improvements! Still getting beat, but my keeper is making saves and attackers are jumping for crosses etc. Progress!

daxgame

getting a "007-2916" error when it gets around 20% -_-

I'll try again in a few hours, this better disappear !

edit: nvm closed the 3DS on sleep mode and it's still downloading anyway

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
12 Characters for team name.

So, "FootballTeam" will just fit, without spaces.

Hmmm, feels good to finally win. Started the season with a draw away (1-1) and won the second game at home (4-1) even with my main striker out with an injury (3 weeks). I'm starting to see some football!

Top Bottom