• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 (VLR sequel) "difficult to realize", problems with funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then don't make your second game end on a cliffhanger!

Ugh, whatever. I'll survive as long as Danganronpa keeps getting made. Still, this fuckin sucks.

AniHawk

i'm just glad a hugeass cliffhanger was made for a game we will never see. haven't had enough of those recently.

Holmes

I'll place my trust in Uchikoshi, nobody wants the trilogy ended more than he does. And I'll support him with any path he takes. Hopefully Kickstarter becomes an option, I will donate.

Dawg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jucksalbe

Banned
tumblr_mbjaxkrJzi1roglxl.gif

Fuck my life

This seems appropriate.

Drago

This just makes the ending for VLR even worse. We possibly will never know how it all ends!

I'm seriously so upset over this. ZE3 was my most anticipated game, maaann :(

What the heck?! I thought VLR did well? It was the talk of the Internet for quite some time...got a lot of people more interested in that type of game...at least I thought it did.

I figured the sequel was a no brainer. ;_;

I don't know why, but I got it into my head that Virtue's Last Reward was a relative commercial success and that a sequel was guaranteed. Bummer.

It's a huge fucking shame, though, and I'd absolutely kickstart a sequel in a heartbeat. It makes me pretty sad that Danganronpa reached great successes, when the Zero Escape series is just so much better, :'(

Maybe ZE would be more popular if you could brutally murder emotionally disturbed children and the villain was a cartoon bear instead of a vague concept like the hubris of super scientists.

Xater

Why rule out Kickstarter? If the Japanese don't want ti I am sure we Westerners would easily get it funded.

Uthred

Ending stuff on a cliffhanger, especially videogames, when you've zero confirmation of whether you can make a sequel feels irresponsible to the audience

esterk

Yeah I don't know why they don't kickstart it. I don't know what 'persuasive enough' means, but it's almost a guarantee that it would be funded for digital download with how many people love the series.

What's he working on next? He talks about his next project. Unless that's just like a general statement.

Thought he was helping on something Stiens;gate related though I could be mistaken.

I think a part of this problem it that there really isn't a secondary market for the series. You probably aren't going to see a Zero Escape anime or Alice merchandise anytime soon. Not to take anything away from Danganronpa, but that series is more than just a game at this point and is a full blown franchise.

It's just a bummer because I feel like 999 got the ball rolling for more of these kind of games in the west and now might be left behind.

sörine;100642481 said:
They should quick port 999 to 3DS and Vita too to raise capital.
I'd buy it. Heck, maybe I'll buy it twice - I already have two copies of VLR for Vita, after importing the US version and getting the EU one on PS Plus.

He somewhat seems to imply that VLR sold well in the west. Did it not make enough to fund a sequel? Or did they just get little more than the licensing fee and publishers in Europe and USA got the biggest share of the revenue?

Arelaz

Being honest on twitter might have been a great idea, though. Though the despair is pretty real right now, if this can pick up steam and start snowballing both interest and willingness to help, well..

hao chi

Shit. I thought ZE3 was already well into development, and now I learn it might not ever even happen? Fuck.

If they ever change their mind and decide to try Kickstarter, I'd support the hell out of it. I need to see how this trilogy ends.

At this point the Zero Escape series has amazing good will, I'd be very surprised if a successful Kickstarter was not possible.

There's probably more to consider than just the base cost of development. Is this a DD release or physical? How much goes to rewards? What happens if the number crunching turns out to be inaccurate and you need more, how much good will pays for that? Do you open it up to paypal and the possibility of meddling or chargebacks?

What I am guessing happened is they aren't proposing a total crowd-funding kickstarter, but a partial thing to show interest. But Chunsoft is looking at every kickstarter that failed to get to the goal and using that as evidence that it's still too risky. Even then, they are mostly concerned with Japanese sales, and would probably look at Japanese kickstarters and kickstarter contributions that come from Japan.

I think the best way to handle it is a combination of a kickstarter for partial funding (let's say $100k) to show intent and for Aksys to invest in development of the game for a better publishing deal. Though this assumes Aksys has that kind of money and I am not sure they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom