• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1# selling console in October, Nintendo accounts for 2/3 of hardware in US

FStubbs

Wii success was mostly link to the casual gamers market who just bought the Wii with Wii Sports and nothing else, Switch is selling a lot to hardcore gamers, who are grown up men and can't always play at home since they're often at work or outside, so Switch is perfect for them, also Switch games are mostly for hardcore gamers, besides 1 2 Switch and Snipperclips there aren't really casual games

Yeah, the Wii's attach rate was definitely a LOT higher than 1. Try again.

Sapiens

Hopefully they can dump some money into making sure 2018 has plenty of interesting games.

Great system.

tkscz

Good news for Nintendo. Glad they are bouncing back after realizing the Wii's name was dead. The Wii U deserved better.

seady

Wii success was mostly link to the casual gamers market who just bought the Wii with Wii Sports and nothing else, Switch is selling a lot to hardcore gamers, who are grown up men and can't always play at home since they're often at work or outside, so Switch is perfect for them, also Switch games are mostly for hardcore gamers, besides 1 2 Switch and Snipperclips there aren't really casual games

Agree totally. I would associate the Switch success to the Gameboy or NDS more than the Wii. The games that are selling a lot go beyond the casual games or 1st party games. People actually hyped and generate interest over games like Doom, Skyrim, Stardew Valley etc. Of course its main audience is still the Nintendo crowds, but its audience is way more than that this time around.

Hilarion

What is this take? Wii had a higber software attach rate than literally any other Nintendo home console.

What is this take? Wii had a higber software attach rate than literally any other Nintendo home console.

Shhhhhhh, the going trend is Nintendo underships product to create artificial demand, nobody bought/wanted a Wii except casual gamers, and Wii didn't move software. Let them dream...

Teran

This is a really annoying myth that people keep wanting to believe because "muh Nintendo gimmicks".

Wii's attach rate was very good, and yes these numbers aren't 100%, but it shows a clear enough picture, especially considering number of consoles sold, to highlight that the Wii was a success in every regard. Just Google it or something it's not hard

But yeah, I guess people are still going to insist on being utterly delusional about the ridiculous success of both the DS and Wii to fit some bizarre narrative; where the real "hardcore" market didn't buy into the Nintendo ecosystem thus making it doomed to fail. I hate to break it to everyone, but the hardcore market doesn't actually drive sales. What are the best selling games? FIFA, COD, Minecraft, GTA etc

All casual/mainstream appealing games.

Nothing sells tens of millions or over a hundred million units by catering to some sort of hardcore niche. Now if you're saying Nintendo have made mistakes in their choice of specs/engineering, 3rd party dealings etc etc then that's perfectly valid. However, this weird idea of Nintendo never having real success with the Wii, bad attach rates, and being the "casual" company as opposed to any other company needs to just fucking stop.

seady

I just went to the Switch eShop to look at the Best Seller list, 11 out of the top 15 games are 3rd party games, with only 4 are 1st party. I think it's telling something that the system is a lot more healthy in terms of 3rd party variety.

1. Mario Odyssey
2. Rocket League
3. Stardew Valley
4. Doom
5. Skyrim
6. Sonic Forces
7. Mario Kart 8
8. Overcooked
9. Zelda BOTW
10. Minecraft
11. Sonic Mania
12. UNO
13. Cat Quest
14. L.A. Noire
15. Snipperclips

Crazyorloco

Short lived success?

102 million. lol

And the biggest difference this time is that 3rd party games are actually selling on this system. The Nintendo switch might be on a better path than even the Wii.

Edit: Receipt

I just went to the Switch eShop to look at the Best Seller list, 11 out of the top 15 games are 3rd party games, with only 4 are 1st party. I think it's telling something that the system is a lot more healthy in terms of 3rd party variety.

1. Mario Odyssey
2. Rocket League
3. Stardew Valley
4. Doom
5. Skyrim
6. Sonic Forces
7. Mario Kart 8
8. Overcooked
9. Zelda BOTW
10. Minecraft
11. Sonic Mania
12. UNO
13. Cat Quest
14. L.A. Noire
15. Snipperclips

Nice.

Kid Ying

They sacrificed Iwata.
Funny that back when Iwata was alive, there were a notion here that him was the sole culprit of nintendo's situation. Now, with switch being his last child and being a huge success, i Hope people stopped with that Idea.

Jigga

Wtf!!!! I finally join after years of lurking. Go home. Put on my freshest outfit for a npd party. Get to the party. No one is here lol

Smh

Steph_E.

This is a really annoying myth that people keep wanting to believe because "muh Nintendo gimmicks".

Wii's attach rate was very good, and yes these numbers aren't 100%, but it shows a clear enough picture, especially considering number of consoles sold, to highlight that the Wii was a success in every regard. Just Google it or something it's not hard

But yeah, I guess people are still going to insist on being utterly delusional about the ridiculous success of both the DS and Wii to fit some bizarre narrative; where the real "hardcore" market didn't buy into the Nintendo ecosystem thus making it doomed to fail. I hate to break it to everyone, but the hardcore market doesn't actually drive sales. What are the best selling games? FIFA, COD, Minecraft, GTA etc

All casual/mainstream appealing games.

Nothing sells tens of millions or over a hundred million units by catering to some sort of hardcore niche. Now if you're saying Nintendo have made mistakes in their choice of specs/engineering, 3rd party dealings etc etc then that's perfectly valid. However, this weird idea of Nintendo never having real success with the Wii, bad attach rates, and being the "casual" company as opposed to any other company needs to just fucking stop.

Well said!

Wii attach rate was definitely rather high and it didn't succeed off Wii Sports alone, but I think there's truth in saying that the Switch market is very different from the Wii market - as others have said it's more comparable to DS or Game Boy.

Switch has been out for about seven months, and the games released in the launch window are more telling and ultimately have decided how the system will be viewed by people and the media.

Pepboy

I wonder how many of the Switch buyers were kids or young teens when Wii launched, now ten years later have disposable income. It'd be interesting if the Switch success was in part a followup to their earlier blue ocean strategy with Wii.

Blam

I wonder how many of the Switch buyers were kids or young teens when Wii launched, now ten years later have disposable income. It'd be interesting if the Switch success was in part a followup to their earlier blue ocean strategy with Wii.

I'd say I'm one of them. I've got disposable income so it definitely got me.

tkscz

I don't know how physical copies are doing, but I'm glad to see DOOM, Skyrim and L.A. Noir consistently in the top 15 digital sales day in and day out. This at least shows an audience is there for these types of 3rd party games and can see future support.

RootCause

I remember when people said a hybrid would kill Nintendo. Also, if you have a switch, then you must buy BOTW.

ps: GTA5 keeps on going. I bet they would climb the ranks to 1 if they port it to switch.

And some people still say there's no console wars and fanboys in this place....

We don't know what was changed after his death. It's entirely possible that he was designing another gimmick first system and only after his death it was changed to Tegra. Lack of any deeper soc customisation is also unusual choice for console makers.

Edit stupid mobile should have been quote about Iwata influence.

Wii all over again.

No. The Wii came out in 2006 the same year as the PS3 and only a year after the xbox 360. It was selling extremely well in an incredibly competitive console market.

The Switch came out almost four years after the PS4/Xbox one and after those consoles have already sold massive numbers(especially in the case of the PS4).

The number of people who would have interest in a PS4 or Xbox one but haven't bought one at this point in the cycle is incredibly small versus the number of potential new Switch buyers.

I love my Switch and am obviously glad it is having success, but comparing sales to a four year old console in a month when a new Mario game is launching on that platform is bit misleading.

We don't know what was changed after his death. It's entirely possible that he was designing another gimmick first system and only after his death it was changed to Tegra. Lack of any deeper soc customisation is also unusual choice for console makers.

Edit stupid mobile should have been quote about Iwata influence.

Huh. When he passed away Nintendo was undergoing a huge restructuring of its teams from Iwata's direction.

See also quotes from the man himself like:

Satoru Iwata said:
Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.

Satoru Iwata said:
“To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.

The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment."

Note how Iwata deliberately doesn't confirm whether Nintendo is working on a hybrid or not, but technologically it appears that "NX" games are not tied to a single hardware configuration or architecture.

Decisions were undoubtedly made about NX after Iwata passed away, but by mid-2015 a lot of the work on the platform would have been completed. A "gimmick-first system" and it being powered by Tegra X1 are also not mutually exclusive things. If anything Switch is a "gimmick-first" system, but it's one that people didn't know that they wanted.

From a TIME interview:

Mr. Iwata, Mr. Takeda and myself provided feedback and made decisions, but ultimately Mr. Iwata was the head of development, so he put a lot of thought and time into Switch.

jjasso21

It definitely is amazing. Glad the third-party support is there too. Nintendo's games are good, but after I beat it once I will never go back to them. Happy to see some variety.

Top Bottom