• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(03-22-2017, 05:00 PM)
mckmas8808's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grinchy

I checked out my brother's 8500 today and holy shit it looks amazing. I'm still using a samsung that I bought back in 2009, so this TV just feels like something that an advanced alien civilization would use in comparison.

Can't wait until I get my 65" curved 8500 this summer just for quotes like this!
PodcastFips
Member
(03-22-2017, 05:04 PM)
PodcastFips's Avatar

Originally Posted by AndyD

Does the KS8000 do a good enough job of upscaling? Am considering buying just a basic $80 BR player vs a $300 4k BR player for now as it'll probably be used just by the kids to watch disney movies.

Anything above 720p looks pleasant. Sub-HD television for example is an issue, but the TV's native resolution is 4.5 times higher after all.
metalmachine
Member
(03-22-2017, 07:09 PM)
metalmachine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neat Machine

Still happening. It's really unacceptable, and since it doesn't happen with Xbox One HDR or anything else and it does happen on other TVs, I'm blaming Sony and steering clear in the future.

I've tried three different certified cables.

Originally Posted by stargateheaven

use YUV420 mode on the ps4 under resolution


I've bought these. So the cable replacement option has already been tried. I do however use an adapter to switch between plugging in my PSVR and the PS4 Pro. It might have an effect but I'm not sure.

With regards to using YUV420 mode, what are the negative effects of this?
DavionStriker
Member
(03-22-2017, 07:47 PM)
DavionStriker's Avatar
Has anyone tried this model against a LG OLED B6? Just curious if the OLED is worth the extra thousand bucks.
family_guy
Member
(03-22-2017, 07:52 PM)

Originally Posted by AndyD

Does the KS8000 do a good enough job of upscaling? Am considering buying just a basic $80 BR player vs a $300 4k BR player for now as it'll probably be used just by the kids to watch disney movies.

I've seen dedicated 4k players from 2016 for as low as $180. You could also just pickup an Xbox One S Minecraft edition for $200 at a bunch of places.
meltingparappa
Member
(03-23-2017, 05:19 AM)
meltingparappa's Avatar
Switch question -- sooooooooo, I'm having an issue trying to get surround sound.

I have my HDMI going into the OneConnect box, then out to my receiver via ARC (the tv remembers my input settings that way, if I do that instead of routing it all through my receiver).

I tried to Google it and saw that the switch seemingly outputs exclusively in LPCM 5.1, and I can get it working if I plug it into my receiver, but that involves juggling extra remotes.

Has anyone gotten it working on their system?
Lima
Member
(03-23-2017, 05:44 AM)
Lima's Avatar
LPCM 5.1 lossless is too bandwidth heavy for ACR and as such will be downmixed to stereo. Plug it directly in your receiver. In fact plug everything in your receiver and just a Logitech harmony remote. Best purchase you will ever make.
meltingparappa
Member
(03-23-2017, 07:04 AM)
meltingparappa's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lima

LPCM 5.1 lossless is too bandwidth heavy for ACR and as such will be downmixed to stereo. Plug it directly in your receiver. In fact plug everything in your receiver and just a Logitech harmony remote. Best purchase you will ever make.

Thanks for the definitive confirmation.

Having the tv randomly reset settings is too substantial a con to push me over the fence in moving everything off the arc and into the receiver.

I guess I will have to keep my receiver remote around solely for the switch. Or mess with the universal remote setting on the tv, I guess, which looks a little more convoluted.
OmegaNemesis28
Junior Member
(03-23-2017, 09:17 AM)
OmegaNemesis28's Avatar

Originally Posted by reektann

I've started to notice that anything running HDR on the 8000 looks oddly dim. Horizon Zero Dawn as an example. When you speak to somebody at night you see the panel almost dim as it focuses on the main character.

Read up a bit and saw somebody mention there is some sort of dimming effect you can't disable in HDR? A few people on the Samsung forums seemingly get round it with dynamic contrast on medium solely for HDR.

Anyone else seeing this? It's not the end of the world - just looks like there is a layer of dimness over the top.

Im using the included HDMI with the Pro connected directly to my one connect box.

I have RGB Full selected in output. I follow the settings from Rtings.com except I'm in Game mode.

I have this Resident Evil 7 theme that has a bright red background. With the backlight cranked to 20, this menu blows your eyes out with red. It's so bright and cool looking.

When you launch an HDR game like Horizon, the output switches to YUV22. TV says it's running HDR video. When I minimize the game with the home button. The same background is washed out and fill looking. The red doesn't pop. Maybe it's because the background isn't HDR? But it's just not bright even though my settings are all the same on the TV. I feel like the game suffers from the same issue. I can't figure it out. Turning HDR off ingame, then going into the home menu, makes the issue go away and it says it's in RGB again. RGB in game makes it look kind of over Saturated but nice and bright. HDR YUV22 looks kind of greyish and less bright. I thought it's supposed to be the opposite.

I can't take pictures either because it doesn't show a difference, but that maybe makes me think HDR is actually working. I can't tell if I like it dull like that.

Oh and I can't tell if Netflix is doing HDR right either. Like the TV never says HDR video is playing like when it goes in game. It does say UHD on the input selection though. I do have Netflix 4k and it does stream it but I can't tell about HDR
Garwoofoo
Junior Member
(03-23-2017, 10:14 AM)
Garwoofoo's Avatar
It's been said many times in this thread but if you think HDR looks too dull and dim, try setting Dynamic Contrast to Medium (for HDR only).

For me that resolves all the issues. It brings the brightness up on HDR, removes the grey filter and keeps the "HDR-ness" of it all with bright lights and deep contrast.

Others here don't like it because they claim it loses fine detail, but for me it's a huge improvement. Use whatever setting you personally prefer, but do give it a go at least.
Lacix
Member
(03-23-2017, 11:04 AM)

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28

Im using the included HDMI with the Pro connected directly to my one connect box.

I have RGB Full selected in output. I follow the settings from Rtings.com except I'm in Game mode.

I have this Resident Evil 7 theme that has a bright red background. With the backlight cranked to 20, this menu blows your eyes out with red. It's so bright and cool looking.

When you launch an HDR game like Horizon, the output switches to YUV22. TV says it's running HDR video. When I minimize the game with the home button. The same background is washed out and fill looking. The red doesn't pop. Maybe it's because the background isn't HDR? But it's just not bright even though my settings are all the same on the TV. I feel like the game suffers from the same issue. I can't figure it out. Turning HDR off ingame, then going into the home menu, makes the issue go away and it says it's in RGB again. RGB in game makes it look kind of over Saturated but nice and bright. HDR YUV22 looks kind of greyish and less bright. I thought it's supposed to be the opposite.

I can't take pictures either because it doesn't show a difference, but that maybe makes me think HDR is actually working. I can't tell if I like it dull like that.

Oh and I can't tell if Netflix is doing HDR right either. Like the TV never says HDR video is playing like when it goes in game. It does say UHD on the input selection though. I do have Netflix 4k and it does stream it but I can't tell about HDR

I feel like to get a good feeling with HDR is a never ending iteration for me.
Now I am using Gamma 2 + Dynamic Contrast Low.
Saint9806
Member
(03-23-2017, 01:37 PM)
Saint9806's Avatar
I'm using all 4 HDMI slots on my One Connect (PS4, Cable Tv, Switch, Firestick). I don't have my XB1 plugged in because I have no more slots. What's the best way I can get this plugged in without taking out taking out anything from the other 4 slots? I don't think I noticed an HDMI slot directly on the TV.
Bessy67
Member
(03-23-2017, 01:41 PM)
Bessy67's Avatar

Originally Posted by I Win Yet Again

I'm using all 4 HDMI slots on my One Connect (PS4, Cable Tv, Switch, Firestick). I don't have my XB1 plugged in because I have no more slots. What's the best way I can get this plugged in without taking out taking out anything from the other 4 slots? I don't think I noticed an HDMI slot directly on the TV.

You could plug the cable box into the HDMI in on the Xbox, then plug the Xbox in to the TV.
stargateheaven
Member
(03-23-2017, 01:42 PM)
stargateheaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by metalmachine

I've bought these. So the cable replacement option has already been tried. I do however use an adapter to switch between plugging in my PSVR and the PS4 Pro. It might have an effect but I'm not sure.

With regards to using YUV420 mode, what are the negative effects of this?

I'm not sure about the negatives. I heard YUV420 is the better mode anyway? If there are negatives, i can't see them.
Anyway i've not had the problem since of the screen going black for a second anymore using YUV420 mode. I get 4k and HDR to use freely.
laxu
Member
(03-23-2017, 01:50 PM)
laxu's Avatar

Originally Posted by stargateheaven

I'm not sure about the negatives. I heard YUV420 is the better mode anyway? If there are negatives, i can't see them.
Anyway i've not had the problem since of the screen going black for a second anymore using YUV420 mode. I get 4k and HDR to use freely.

You are unlikely to notice any real difference, that's the beaty of chroma subsampling. HDR only works at YUV 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 because of HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limitations. Technically though 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 are better.

If the screen goes black then that to me indicates issues with the cable being able to push the bandwidth. I experienced issues like these a lot when I was hunting for a HDMI cable that works properly with my PC. No issues with the included PS4 Pro cable though.

I've just set everything to auto on my PS4 Pro and use auto color space on the TV. This seems to work fine for me and HDR looks great, definitely not too dim at all and no issues with over/under contrast and colors that you can get with some of the TV color space settings. Otherwise my settings are very much as shown in the rtings.com review but I think I use Warm 1 instead of 2.
stargateheaven
Member
(03-23-2017, 01:53 PM)
stargateheaven's Avatar

Originally Posted by laxu

If the screen goes black then that to me indicates issues with the cable being able to push the bandwidth. I experienced issues like these a lot when I was hunting for a HDMI cable that works properly with my PC. No issues with the included PS4 Pro cable though.

That's the weird thing. In Automatic it goes black for a second every so often. in HDR games or standard games. Did it alot on Yakuza 0 and overwatch.
Since using YUV420 i've not had the issue.
laxu
Member
(03-23-2017, 02:05 PM)
laxu's Avatar

Originally Posted by stargateheaven

That's the weird thing. In Automatic it goes black for a second every so often. in HDR games or standard games. Did it alot on Yakuza 0 and overwatch.
Since using YUV420 i've not had the issue.

It's possible that it tries to run 4:2:2 in automatic. When I tried the various cables, on some I would get no picture at all in 4:4:4, on some I got flickering with that whereas 4:2:0 worked perfectly fine.
Impulsor
Member
(03-23-2017, 02:11 PM)
Impulsor's Avatar

Originally Posted by stargateheaven

That's the weird thing. In Automatic it goes black for a second every so often. in HDR games or standard games. Did it alot on Yakuza 0 and overwatch.
Since using YUV420 i've not had the issue.

Originally Posted by laxu

It's possible that it tries to run 4:2:2 in automatic. When I tried the various cables, on some I would get no picture at all in 4:4:4, on some I got flickering with that whereas 4:2:0 worked perfectly fine.

I haev the same problem with my European KS9000, sometimes the screen will go black for a second with the Ps4 Pro.

So setting YUV 4:2:0 will fix this?
Saint9806
Member
(03-23-2017, 02:44 PM)
Saint9806's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bessy67

You could plug the cable box into the HDMI in on the Xbox, then plug the Xbox in to the TV.

Gotcha! Thanks!
philm87
Member
(03-23-2017, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Impulsor

I haev the same problem with my European KS9000, sometimes the screen will go black for a second with the Ps4 Pro.

So setting YUV 4:2:0 will fix this?

Hopefully should fix it. But you'll be reducing the HDR from 10-bit to 8-bit.
Grinchy
Member
(03-23-2017, 05:20 PM)
Grinchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garwoofoo

It's been said many times in this thread but if you think HDR looks too dull and dim, try setting Dynamic Contrast to Medium (for HDR only).

For me that resolves all the issues. It brings the brightness up on HDR, removes the grey filter and keeps the "HDR-ness" of it all with bright lights and deep contrast.

Others here don't like it because they claim it loses fine detail, but for me it's a huge improvement. Use whatever setting you personally prefer, but do give it a go at least.

I might give that a shot the next time I'm near my brother's 8500. The HDR did look really subtle in comparison to his 850C that broke on him.
Sleeping Lesson
Member
(03-23-2017, 05:24 PM)
Sleeping Lesson's Avatar
I've been playing Mass Effect Andromeda with HDR, and I've noticed an odd thing. Between load screens, when you'd expect pure black, the screen is faintly red or blue. Anybody else see this? This effect isn't present when HDR is turned off.
The Futurist
Member
(03-23-2017, 05:34 PM)
The Futurist's Avatar
Finally started messing with my PC on the KS8000.

4k60 4:4:4 works perfectly using a 20 foot monoprice premium hdmi cable.

Have not tried any HDR stuff from the PC. Don't think I have any HDR PC games.
Impulsor
Member
(03-23-2017, 06:25 PM)
Impulsor's Avatar

Originally Posted by philm87

Hopefully should fix it. But you'll be reducing the HDR from 10-bit to 8-bit.

How noticeable is the difference?
theclosetfan
Member
(03-23-2017, 06:38 PM)
theclosetfan's Avatar

Originally Posted by DavionStriker

Has anyone tried this model against a LG OLED B6? Just curious if the OLED is worth the extra thousand bucks.

I spent about a month obsessively studying this set and the C6/B6/E6.

OLED is impressive but in the end, the difference didn't justify the cost and I went with the KS8000 for the gaming benefits, and got a bigger screen with the savings. A/V enthusiasts might crucify me for saying this, but the picture on both sets is just so, so close.
Karamsoul
Member
(03-23-2017, 07:29 PM)
Karamsoul's Avatar

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

Can't wait until I get my 65" curved 8500 this summer just for quotes like this!

Yup. It's quite a sight in person. I've fallen madly in love with this TV.
Micerider
Member
(03-23-2017, 07:38 PM)
Micerider's Avatar

Originally Posted by theclosetfan

I spent about a month obsessively studying this set and the C6/B6/E6.

OLED is impressive but in the end, the difference didn't justify the cost and I went with the KS8000 for the gaming benefits, and got a bigger screen with the savings. A/V enthusiasts might crucify me for saying this, but the picture on both sets is just so, so close.

I conccur. I was really hesitating between the two sets. But the sheer fact that I never found the B6 below 2k EUR here and that I managed to scoop a KS7000 for 990 made a huge difference. And honestly, for my usage, the case scenarios where I would obviously see the benefits of OLED over the KS7000 are way too scarce to justify doubling the investment. And the KS7000 has it's own advantages on OLED too (namely peak brightness, color volume, input lag).
JetSetRadio
Member
(03-23-2017, 07:44 PM)
Should I upgrade firmware if everything works just fine since I've bought it?
The Futurist
Member
(03-23-2017, 08:53 PM)
The Futurist's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

Should I upgrade firmware if everything works just fine since I've bought it?

I'm still on 1154. Aside from a few software issues with youtube and the very rare glitch, It's working perfectly.

Won't upgrade firmware unless their is a drastic improvement.
philm87
Member
(03-23-2017, 09:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Impulsor

How noticeable is the difference?

More noticeable in some areas than others, but definitely worth trying other things to fix it as it shouldn't happen.

8-bit allows a 256 colour range for each of Red, Green, and Blue. You'd think 10 bit wouldn't be much more, but it actually allows a 1024 colour range for each of Red, Green, and Blue. The extra range helps to create a much more realistic image and more depth to pick up small details. It also pretty much eliminates any banding, which is the lines you sometimes see on an area of colour.


Check out this vid for real detail on the differences.
https://youtu.be/bKjSox0uwnk
Parmadillo Marshmallow
Member
(03-23-2017, 09:43 PM)
Parmadillo Marshmallow's Avatar

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28

I have this Resident Evil 7 theme that has a bright red background. With the backlight cranked to 20, this menu blows your eyes out with red. It's so bright and cool looking.

When you launch an HDR game like Horizon, the output switches to YUV22. TV says it's running HDR video. When I minimize the game with the home button. The same background is washed out and fill looking. The red doesn't pop. Maybe it's because the background isn't HDR?

Yes this is true. The TV is trying to display non-HDR content while in HDR mode, and the non-HDR content looks dull. It's especially apparent to me whenever a trophy notification pops up while playing an HDR game. The notification is way darker than it would be in a non-HDR game. I'm 90% sure this is normal expected behavior.
Impulsor
Member
(03-23-2017, 09:43 PM)
Impulsor's Avatar

Originally Posted by philm87

More noticeable in some areas than others, but definitely worth trying other things to fix it as it shouldn't happen.

8-bit allows a 256 colour range for each of Red, Green, and Blue. You'd think 10 bit wouldn't be much more, but it actually allows a 1024 colour range for each of Red, Green, and Blue. The extra range helps to create a much more realistic image and more depth to pick up small details. It also pretty much eliminates any banding, which is the lines you sometimes see on an area of colour.


Check out this vid for real detail on the differences.
https://youtu.be/bKjSox0uwnk

What should I try to fix this issue then? A better hdmi cable?
philm87
Member
(03-23-2017, 09:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Impulsor

What should I try to fix this issue then? A better hdmi cable?

Not entirely sure as I've not had the issue. But it makes sense that it could be solved by a better HDMI cable as the HDMI connections go through a 'handshake' process, which it may be occasionally failing. May be worth seeing if you can pick one up somewhere that you could return if it doesn't help. Firmware issues with the tv or ps4 could also cause issues, so make sure you have the latest.
xCaptainCanadax
Member
(03-23-2017, 10:01 PM)
xCaptainCanadax's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Futurist

I'm still on 1154. Aside from a few software issues with youtube and the very rare glitch, It's working perfectly.

Won't upgrade firmware unless their is a drastic improvement.

Yeah same, I dont think ill update mine unless the game mode HDR profile thing gets added. Havent really had any issues thus far.
Leeroy605
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:18 AM)
Leeroy605's Avatar
Guys for gaming on PC...Leave the input as it automatically detects it as PC mode (which disables some pictures settings) or rename it to get game mode back?

What are the advantages of PC mode over normal?
Button
Banned
(03-24-2017, 12:20 AM)
Ok, why the hell is The Grand Tour not playing in HDR in the Amazon app? Talking about KS7000/8000 here. It's 4k but not HDR.
Heel
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:24 AM)
Heel's Avatar
The YouTube app has stayed signed in for me on the latest firmware, knock on wood. Used to sign out by itself at random. Seems...fixed?
TheFNEffecT
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:26 AM)
TheFNEffecT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Button

Ok, why the hell is The Grand Tour not playing in HDR in the Amazon app? Talking about KS7000/8000 here. It's 4k but not HDR.

Are you sure it's the proper UHD one? I found the 4k HDR one deep in the catalog haha. When I initially played it, I thought it looked like it was in 4k but the TV didn't tell me it was in HDR. After fishing for it I found it, TV said it detected HDR...and detect it did because it's super nice!
RoninChaos
Member
(03-24-2017, 01:03 AM)
RoninChaos's Avatar
Is there a display setting that tells you your resolution?
OmegaNemesis28
Junior Member
(03-24-2017, 06:11 AM)
OmegaNemesis28's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parmadillo Marshmallow

Yes this is true. The TV is trying to display non-HDR content while in HDR mode, and the non-HDR content looks dull. It's especially apparent to me whenever a trophy notification pops up while playing an HDR game. The notification is way darker than it would be in a non-HDR game. I'm 90% sure this is normal expected behavior.

I thought so too I just can't tell for sure I guess. Like ingame nothing has a really quick enough HDR toggle to make a good 1:1 comparison lol

If I use the blue sparkle background, I presume that's HDR when I'm in game. It just looks less blue and more greyish.
Yoday
Member
(03-24-2017, 07:28 AM)
Yoday's Avatar
Do we have any hint on if they are even working on a fix for the auto HDR settings in game mode? I just picked up the TV yesterday, and this little big is incredibly annoying.
DieAntwoord
Banned
(03-24-2017, 07:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Yoday

Do we have any hint on if they are even working on a fix for the auto HDR settings in game mode? I just picked up the TV yesterday, and this little big is incredibly annoying.

Researching you can see there's several post from different months about engineering acknowleding the bugs. Still hasn't translated to actual fixes. I wish I'd have kept my Sony but it was great for games and terrible for movie watching since the uniformity sucked.
tiku
Member
(03-24-2017, 11:07 AM)
tiku's Avatar
If Samsung is not giving us a fix for the Game Mode issue, should we use another mode to play videogames?

I mean, if I remember correctly, Game Mode features a lag of 21ms. The lag on another mode is around 31 ms. Is this difference actually noticeable for us while playing?
Impulsor
Member
(03-24-2017, 11:25 AM)
Impulsor's Avatar

Originally Posted by tiku

If Samsung is not giving us a fix for the Game Mode issue, should we use another mode to play videogames?

I mean, if I remember correctly, Game Mode features a lag of 21ms. The lag on another mode is around 31 ms. Is this difference actually noticeable for us while playing?

In what TV models does this happen? And is this bug about the dimming thing?
PLASTICA-MAN
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:04 PM)
PLASTICA-MAN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoday

Do we have any hint on if they are even working on a fix for the auto HDR settings in game mode? I just picked up the TV yesterday, and this little big is incredibly annoying.

What issue?

Originally Posted by tiku

If Samsung is not giving us a fix for the Game Mode issue, should we use another mode to play videogames?

I mean, if I remember correctly, Game Mode features a lag of 21ms. The lag on another mode is around 31 ms. Is this difference actually noticeable for us while playing?

What game mode issue?

he new QLED TVs are worse than the KS8000/9000 in almost all aspects including input lag. If the KS8000 have issues in Game Mode that i don't know what Samsung TV to get this year.
Impulsor
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:06 PM)
Impulsor's Avatar

Originally Posted by PLASTICA-MAN

he new QLED TVs are worse than the KS8000/9000 in almost all aspects including input lag. If the KS8000 have issues in Game Mode that i don't know what Samsung TV to get this year.

Lol?

How can that be? Aren't new models supposed to be better? What is it worst at?
PLASTICA-MAN
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:11 PM)
PLASTICA-MAN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Impulsor

Lol?

How can that be? Aren't new models supposed to be better? What is it worst at?

Everything from Black levels to brightness levels and peak in both SDR and HDR modes, even the input lag.

I posted about this in a previous post:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7f

Even Samsung acknowledged that issue and they are investigating that issue. I hope it is not another Galaxy S7 issue where all the units will be pulled back from the market for being defective.

It seems the whole QLED tech in much behind OLED and even LED in almost every aspect because the tech itself is still LCD: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...vs-oled-vs-led

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp2WYhB_7dM
tiku
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:29 PM)
tiku's Avatar
I'm talking about Game Mode not saving the HDR and SDR config separately.
PLASTICA-MAN
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:31 PM)
PLASTICA-MAN's Avatar

Originally Posted by tiku

I'm talking about Game Mode not saving the HDR and SDR config separately.

You mean this issue: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346891

Where you have to reconfigure the settings everytime you switch between SDR and HDR modes?
Impulsor
Member
(03-24-2017, 12:31 PM)
Impulsor's Avatar

Originally Posted by tiku

I'm talking about Game Mode not saving the HDR and SDR config separately.

Oh, ok.

I do find that bothersome.

Thread Tools