• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

DaBoss
(01-18-2017, 06:20 PM)

Welcome to the Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab! This thread will contain the regular updates the devs post on Twitter (JP) and Tumblr (English). Feel free to discuss about the updates or anything regarding the game.

Controls for the game:

Weapons in the demo:

Here is Smol Judd to bless your day:

Updates will be compiled in this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...75&postcount=5
New updates will also be in a new post in the thread.

Splatoon 2 Image Album

Current Splatoon OT

SplatGAF also has a discord, you can PM me for an invite link.

Last edited by DaBoss; 01-25-2017 at 03:38 AM.
James Scott
(01-18-2017, 06:22 PM)
Interesting that they switched the jump button from X to B. Makes more sense based on where the analog stick is, though.
pizzacat
im a kid
Lambtron
My body is so fucking ready for this.
DaBoss
(01-18-2017, 06:23 PM)

Created by: https://twitter.com/PhilDragash/stat...00198859517952

Will compile all the updates here, any new ones made after today will also have a new post in the thread.

All of the stuff posted here would be from either of these two links:
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP

Originally Posted by Jan 13th

The Squid Research Lab can confirm that Inkopolis Plaza is no longer the central hub of Inkling culture. Apparently a new location within Inkopolis known as “Inkopolis Square” is now the most popular area for young Inklings. Many new businesses have opened shop in Inkopolis Square, and it is only two subway stations away from Inkopolis Plaza. We at the Squid Research Lab were surprised to learn that the center of Inkling culture has changed locations in such a short amount of time, but perhaps there is something to be learned about the Inkling way of life in all this. Or maybe we’re just thinking about it too hard.

A Squid Research Lab special report:
As we suspected, Turf War is still the most popular sport among Inklings. The basic rules of this sport remain the same–two teams of four Inklings compete to cover the largest area of ground with their ink color within the allotted time. Inklings still eat, sleep, and breathe Turf War, and the sport still drives the direction of fashion, art, and language for Inkling culture.

We have found photographic evidence of one of the new battle stages in Splatoon 2. Inklings call this new area “The Reef”, presumably because it’s a popular area to hang out when it’s not being used for Turf War. The Reef is located a few blocks from Inkopolis Square, and it’s home to some of the most popular boutique shops in the city.

Our research indicates that the mid-battle stage map has changed a bit. Apparently Inklings can press the X Button to view the map at any time during a battle. Once the map is open, they can then press the directional buttons and the A Button to Super Jump to a teammate. Each teammate is assigned to a different directional button, as is the spawn point. The map also features a cursor that can be moved by tilting the controller.

Originally Posted by Jan 14th

While an Inkling is on the ground, swinging a roller weapon will still result in a standard horizontal swing. Please see the attached footage for a comparison of roller swing techniques.

This is the Splat Charger in Splatoon 2. Its design has changed a bit from the original game, as have the designs of the Splat Roller and the Splattershot. These classic weapons are still among the most popular with Inklings.

Charger weapons have gained a new ability since our original analysis of them. Inklings can now store their charge for a short time by entering squid form. Then, when they return to Inkling form, they can instantly unleash a charged shot. Very impressive.

Originally Posted by Jan 15th

The tried-and-true Splattershot hasn’t changed drastically, so veteran Inklings will feel right at home with this weapon. We can also report that all previously existing weapon types, including Splatling and Slosher weapons, will appear in Splatoon 2. Stay tuned for further developments.

Interestingly enough, all of the special weapons that appear in Splatoon 2 are brand new. We’ve been able to secure an image of one of the new special weapons, but we’re unsure of its name. To use it, an Inkling targets as many opponents as he or she can before firing. Once the weapon is fired, four homing missiles are launched at each targeted opponent.

This special weapon is called the Sting Ray. It fires a ray of pressurized ink that can shoot through walls and travel long distances, splatting any enemy players it touches Once activated, it’s very difficult to change the direction of the ray.

This special weapon is the Inkjet. It allows its user to hover in the air, and features a blob launcher that can be used to shoot ink blobs at enemies below. It seems to be a very powerful weapon, but it also leaves its user rather exposed. Once this special weapon runs out, the Inkjet explodes, sending its user to the exact point they activated the special from.

This special weapon is called Splashdown. An Inkling who activates it will jump into into the air and then strike the ground, sending an explosion of ink onto nearby players and surfaces. This special weapon can also be activated mid-Super Jump, creating an explosion of ink upon landing. This technique may be very useful when coming to the aid of a teammate who is under attack.

I nearly overlooked it, but I’ve noticed the existence or a new type of subweapon. This new subweapon is called the Curling Bomb. I was shocked to learn that the Inklings are familiar with the sport of curling, which may be the greatest discovery of all. Once deployed, the Curling Bomb slides across the ground, bouncing off walls.

We haven’t discovered any other new subweapons, but we’ll keep our eyes open.

Originally Posted by Feb 1st

We’ve received a report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with an upcoming app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will link with the game and allow you to set a play appointment with your friends and teammates invited through your social media accounts. It also lets you match up with them directly in the game and voice chat with them too.

For example, during a Private Battle, you can voice chat with all of the connected friends when you divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates in the same team. Also, you cannot communicate with random Inklings you don’t know.

Originally Posted by Feb 9th

We’ve just received an image of a small cat-like creature on top of a larger cat-like creature known only as…Judd. Could this young cat be Judd’s offspring?! Or perhaps his younger sibling? Or even something more…sinister? MUAHAHA! Nope. Sorry. There’s no evidence to support that. I just got carried away. Anyway, according to our information from two years back, Judd was supposedly the squid world’s only mammal. Just what happened in the intervening time? We’ll spare no effort to solve this mystery!

Originally Posted by Feb 10th

We’ve acquired images of some returning legacy weapons we weren’t able to show at our recent research presentation, so we’ve decided to reveal them here! This is a Splatling-type weapon called the Heavy Splatling. The angle of the signature ink barrels has been adjusted to make for easier maintenance, but aside from that it functions just as the original model did.

In the Slosher category, the crowd-favorite Slosher is also making a return in Splatoon 2. The keen-eyed observer may notice that slight cosmetic adjustments have been made to the Slosher’s handle and suspension arm. These changes are in line with the cosmetic changes that other legacy weapons have recieved. It may seem a trivial change to some, but we at the Squid Research Lab feel that even the smallest changes must be documented in order to keep up with the ever-changing trends of the Inkling world.

We’ve gotten a first look inside one of the new stages–Musselforge Fitness. This state of the art work out facility contains a bouldering gym, a regulation-sized pool, and all the treadmills you could ever want. Judging from our research, today’s Inklings are foregoing the calisthenics and aerobics for more back-to-basics, iron-puming workouts.

Originally Posted by Feb 10th

Eureka! We’ve just discovered a breakthrough in squid-observation technology! In Splatoon 2, a new feature called Private Battle Spectator View will allow up to two non-players to spectate a Private Battle. These two people act as camera operators in order capture all the action. This is, of course, in addition to the 8 players who fight in the Private Battle. Outstanding!

Previously, we’ve reported that Splatoon 2 will allow up to eight Nintendo Switch systems to connect via local wireless to play Private Battles. In addition to this, a new feature called LAN Play will enable players to connect eight docked systems using a wired LAN setup. This feature allows players to create local Private Battle tournaments without the need for an Internet connection.

If you’re willing to put in the work to set up LAN Play, you can also use the Private Battle Spectator View feature by hooking up two additional Nintendo Switch systems. Local wireless play is perfect for your regular gaming get-togethers, but LAN Play is where it’s at when you want to organize a serious tournament event with your fellow players.

Originally Posted by March 17th

The rock band Wet Floor are the latest sensation in the Inkling world. Their songs are an enticing blend of different genres, and they’re especially popular with the kids right now. Let’s check out their song “Rip Entry,” which you’ll hear as background music while battling!

[Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR1eQa4oDFI]

If you want to read about the members of Wet Floor, read these links:
https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/1...floor-this-guy
https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/1...at-play-guitar
https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/1...rhythm-section

Updates without an official translation (from JP Twitter):

Originally Posted by Jan 19th

画面上の表示も進化しているようだ。 それぞれのプレイヤーの所持しているブキがわかるようになった他、スペシャルメーターが溜まったこともわかるようになったぞ。 ここをよく見て、攻めるタイミングや、守りを固めるタイミングなどを見極めよう。

Google translate \_(ツ)_/:
It seems that the display on the screen is also evolving. In addition to becoming able to understand the buki possessed by each player, it became clear that it became clear that the special meter had gathered. Look closely here, and determine the timing to attack and the timing to protect defense.

Last edited by DaBoss; 03-21-2017 at 08:02 PM.
LordKano
Banned
(01-18-2017, 06:23 PM)
You're a squid now you're a teenager due to how they're dressed in this sequel now.

Subscribed.
kirbyfan407
(01-18-2017, 06:24 PM)

Originally Posted by DaBoss

The real reason this is a sequel, and the real reason to buy this game.
Oregano
(01-18-2017, 06:24 PM)
Why do they need to do news updates if it's just a port though!!1!!!!
RichiRamjag
(01-18-2017, 06:25 PM)
Haha. Love it. Game looks great.
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
Doesnt seem a real sequel to the first research lab

Yet

But it is fun
LegendofLex

Originally Posted by James Scott

Interesting that they switched the jump button from X to B. Makes more sense based on where the analog stick is, though.

What I don't get is why they didn't use the unused L button to bring up the map and both the D-pad AND the AXY buttons to pick super jump targets. Are they removing beacons this time, d'you think?
Debirudog
(01-18-2017, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Aostia

Yet

But it is fun

what defines a real sequel lol.
PadWarrior
(01-18-2017, 06:26 PM)
Here's some high level play

https://youtu.be/He_F-vvFPyk
Bamboo 竹
(01-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
Smol Judd is the best!
Gorilla Shark
(01-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
The wait for this until August(?) is going to be painful.
oti
(01-18-2017, 06:30 PM)
Won't you accidentally move the camera when you want to jump (press B)?
Last edited by oti; 01-18-2017 at 06:39 PM.
MomoQca
(01-18-2017, 06:33 PM)
Playable Callie & Marie? Yes, please.
TheBanditKing
(01-18-2017, 06:33 PM)
Does this new one have any kind of single player or is it just the MP?
MomoQca
(01-18-2017, 06:34 PM)

Originally Posted by TheBanditKing

Most likely. A Treehouse member confirmed the game takes place 2 years after the events of the first game.
Musolf815
I really hope I have enough money for a Switch when this comes out.
DaBoss
Here is a series of tweets that look into what the Japanese Splatoon 2 event showcased: https://twitter.com/Swiffy22/status/821091874505101312

Originally Posted by TheBanditKing

They confirmed there is going to be a new single player campaign.
BronzeWolf
(01-18-2017, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by pizzacat

im a kid

you are a squid now
Het_Nkik
(01-18-2017, 06:40 PM)

Little Judd a clone? Exact same fur pattern...
TheBanditKing
(01-18-2017, 06:40 PM)

Originally Posted by MomoQca

Most likely. A Treehouse member confirmed the game takes place 2 years after the events of the first game.

Here is a series of tweets that look into what the Japanese Splatoon 2 event showcased: https://twitter.com/Swiffy22/status/821091874505101312

They confirmed there is going to be a new single player campaign.

Thats great to hear, thanks!
Ogodei
(01-18-2017, 06:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Het_Nkik

Has to be, unless there's a Judy out there, or Judd is actually a she and underwent parthenogenesis somehow.
psyfi
(01-18-2017, 06:43 PM)
Subbed! I'm a huge competitive FPS fan, but sold my Wii U before Splatoon came out. I'm stoked to finally get a chance to try it out. :)
CNCOMICS
(01-18-2017, 06:44 PM)

Lol, that's awesome, maybe that could be in the OT once it's created

I'm being cautiously optimistic for playable Octolings as we get closer to the release date.
jnWake
(01-18-2017, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Aostia

Yet

But it is fun

It's basically the first research lab but with new weapons.

Not even a new font.
spindashing
Ku Klux Kawaii
(01-18-2017, 06:48 PM)
Damn. This will actually hype me up for the game.
AdanVC
(01-18-2017, 06:49 PM)

Mann, I hope the final game ends up looking like this! With no jaggies and stuff.
phanphare
(01-18-2017, 06:51 PM)

oh. my. god.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(01-18-2017, 06:51 PM)

Originally Posted by AdanVC

Mann, I hope the final game ends up looking like this! With no jaggies and stuff.

That's the best part of the Switch screen, free AA or the illusion of it.
Kaban
(01-18-2017, 06:52 PM)
One of my most anticipated games of the year. But I'll definitely miss having the map on the screen at all times. It was very intuitive.
Jackano
(01-18-2017, 06:55 PM)
Should have been at launch. Timely updates giving the Switch the feel of an healthy ecosystem you comes back to often, from the start.

OP should have links with the rock band concerts: https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoJPofficial/videos

Also just waiting for the playable octalings confirmation, and I hope for more solo content.
blitzwolf215
(01-18-2017, 06:56 PM)

Smol Judd is the best thing ever!
DecoReturns
(01-18-2017, 06:59 PM)
The Splatoon marketing is fantastic. I love how self-aware they are
pinkurocket
(01-18-2017, 07:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Het_Nkik

Because Judd is the only mammal in the world of Splatoon, they actually continuously clone him so that there's always one alive. Maybe older Judd teaches smoll Judd what to do before he passes so what we're witnessing here is the overlap where both are alive. Might also explain why he is so old and showed up in scrolls over 1000 years old in Splatoon 1.
JCX
(01-18-2017, 07:01 PM)
Giving me Smash Dojo vibes. I like it.
-shadow-
(01-18-2017, 07:05 PM)
The B button is now jump? That seems like an odd change. I'll press the X button so many times in the beginning, I just know it!
GriffinCorpOne
This game looks so awesome, I can't wait to try it out. I missed out on the first game. So bright and colorful.
TangoAlphaLima
Pretty sure I'd be waiting out the Switch until at least Mario Odyssey if not for Splatoon 2. Loved the first, can't wait to see what they're gonna do with the sequel.
DaBoss
(01-18-2017, 07:08 PM)
Will be updating the thread later, so if there are any suggestions, please post them.
Fandangox
(01-18-2017, 07:11 PM)

Originally Posted by LordKano

You're a squid now you're a teenager due to how they're dressed in this sequel now.

Subscribed.

Splatoon 3 to be the gritty military-themed shooter since we will logically move onto adult squids by then.
SkeptiMism
(01-18-2017, 07:16 PM)

Originally Posted by psyfi

Subbed! I'm a huge competitive FPS fan, but sold my Wii U before Splatoon came out. I'm stoked to finally get a chance to try it out. :)

You'll be in for a ride. The game really is incredible.

It's not an FPS though :).
Magnet_Man
(01-18-2017, 07:19 PM)
Not sure if old but I noticed that it is possible for rollers to do their normal jump flick if they jump after the swinging animation has started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0iEhxwJyg&t=1m01s

I never used a roller (because I have a soul) so I'm not sure how applicable that is.

Kidding. We all know blaster mains are the real monsters.
foxuzamaki
Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
(01-18-2017, 07:20 PM)
smol judd brings the world joy
MrSaturn99
(01-18-2017, 07:22 PM)
smol judd gives me life
Lambtron
(01-18-2017, 07:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Magnet_Man

Not sure if old but I noticed that it is possible for rollers to do their normal jump flick if they jump after the swinging animation has started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0iEhxwJyg&t=1m01s

This song is fucking LIT.
kinaesthete
(01-18-2017, 07:24 PM)

Originally Posted by LegendofLex

What I don't get is why they didn't use the unused L button to bring up the map and both the D-pad AND the AXY buttons to pick super jump targets. Are they removing beacons this time, d'you think?

Or better yet, put jump on L also or let me bind it. Please???
Busaiku
(01-18-2017, 07:27 PM)
Is Smol Judd evil.