• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

PadWarrior
Member
(01-20-2017, 04:48 PM)
PadWarrior's Avatar

Originally Posted by phanphare

good riddance ;p



burst bomb rush was life

Shame on you! Zooka was awesome!
Last edited by PadWarrior; 01-20-2017 at 04:56 PM.
MannyToons
Member
(01-20-2017, 04:55 PM)
MannyToons's Avatar
See ya Inkzooka, see ya Kraken, see ya Bubbler, see ya free-ass Bomb Rush. I'll miss Inkstrike and Echolocator though. Especially Echolocator. I like the concept of a supportive special, and being able to see the enemy team's location is just so good. I hope there's some kind of successor to it in Splatoon 2. :s
phanphare
Member
(01-20-2017, 04:57 PM)
phanphare's Avatar

Originally Posted by PadWarrior

Shame on you! Zooka was awesome!

I was frequently on the receiving end of zooka blasts so I am admittedly biased lol
PadWarrior
Member
(01-20-2017, 04:57 PM)
PadWarrior's Avatar
Can a kind soul replace the Wii U pro controller in my avatar with this http://img.game.co.uk/ml2/6/5/5/8/655827_wiu_b.png


Originally Posted by phanphare

I was frequently on the receiving end of zooka blasts so I am admittedly biased lol

Lol
MannyToons
Member
(01-20-2017, 05:00 PM)
MannyToons's Avatar

Originally Posted by phanphare

I was frequently on the receiving end of zooka blasts so I am admittedly biased lol

Shit's dumb when there's lag. Too many scenarios where I move away ahead of time, but still die to a shot aimed where I was. Bleh
SM239
Member
(01-20-2017, 05:14 PM)
SM239's Avatar

Originally Posted by Azure J

I'm going to miss Inkzooka the most for sure. :(

Best special. Got so many team wipes with that thing. Once you get a hang of how the shot arcs even players trying to take cover were no longer safe. Zooka will be missed. :'(
J@hranimo
Member
(01-20-2017, 05:39 PM)
J@hranimo's Avatar

Originally Posted by phanphare

good riddance ;p



burst bomb rush was life

My man! Gonna miss the bomb rushes more than anything tbh. Pure chaos and framedrops :D
Regiruler
Banned
(01-20-2017, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by QisTopTier

I'm going to miss doing this :(

You can still do that with stingray.

Originally Posted by random25

I'll miss the Spongebob memes, even if it wore out its welcome by excessive use lol. Hopefully there's a form of replacement, even if it's Splatoon exclusive.

Last edited by Regiruler; 01-20-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Azure J
Member
(01-20-2017, 06:33 PM)
Azure J's Avatar

Originally Posted by SM239

Best special. Got so many team wipes with that thing. Once you get a hang of how the shot arcs even players trying to take cover were no longer safe. Zooka will be missed. :'(

Zooka squad forever. Gotta wait and see if Squids 2 has something similar, but I'm guessing Inkjet's launcher will be it.
RaptorGTA
Member
(01-20-2017, 06:40 PM)
RaptorGTA's Avatar

Originally Posted by random25

I'll miss the Spongebob memes, even if it wore out its welcome by excessive use lol. Hopefully there's a form of replacement, even if it's Splatoon exclusive.

I missed them as well. Always made me laugh.
RecRoulette
Member
(01-20-2017, 06:41 PM)
RecRoulette's Avatar
Is there a chance of them putting their own Miiverse like thing into the game? Or is that just too optimistic.
Ahnez
Member
(01-20-2017, 07:03 PM)
Ahnez's Avatar
Even without miiverse, I hope there's an in-game way to share drawings

Originally Posted by PadWarrior

Can a kind soul replace the Wii U pro controller in my avatar with this http://img.game.co.uk/ml2/6/5/5/8/655827_wiu_b.png

No
UncleSporky
Banned
(01-20-2017, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by MannyToons

See ya Inkzooka, see ya Kraken, see ya Bubbler, see ya free-ass Bomb Rush.

I'm not confident that all old specials are gone. We haven't seen enough of them to account for the same number...I think they just wanted to highlight the new stuff.

I want my shield.
PadWarrior
Member
(01-20-2017, 07:11 PM)
PadWarrior's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahnez

Even without miiverse, I hope there's an in-game way to share drawings



No

:(
Nia
Member
(01-20-2017, 07:18 PM)
Nia's Avatar

Originally Posted by PadWarrior

Can a kind soul replace the Wii U pro controller in my avatar with this http://img.game.co.uk/ml2/6/5/5/8/655827_wiu_b.png

I got you.

PadWarrior
Member
(01-20-2017, 07:40 PM)
PadWarrior's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nia

I got you.

Thanks!!!!!
Omega Kirby
Member
(01-20-2017, 07:45 PM)
Omega Kirby's Avatar

Originally Posted by MannyToons

See ya Inkzooka, see ya Kraken, see ya Bubbler, see ya free-ass Bomb Rush. I'll miss Inkstrike and Echolocator though. Especially Echolocator. I like the concept of a supportive special, and being able to see the enemy team's location is just so good. I hope there's some kind of successor to it in Splatoon 2. :s

Wait the Kraken's leaving ;_; ?

At least Ink Wall is still safe
CoconutTank
Member
(01-20-2017, 08:36 PM)
CoconutTank's Avatar
Zooka is fun if you're on the giving end :3

In general though, fast long range instant kill shots are pretty bullshit. For mostly everything else there's usually some amount of counter-play one can do (imo). But dying, then coming out of base and dying to a random ass zooka shot is the epitome of dumb and down time, especially when it's the same damn tentatek.
Robotguy
Member
(01-20-2017, 09:56 PM)
Yeah, that fact that you can be instantly killed by a zooka from the other side of the map by someone you can't even see is pretty bs.
Confused Cheeseburger
Member
(01-20-2017, 09:59 PM)
Confused Cheeseburger's Avatar
If they literally ported Splatoon to switch, that would be enough for me to buy it. But seeing the the additions and even some of the map design, plus the sweet prospect of lotion on the go has me amped. One of Nintendo's best franchises.
Dystify
Member
(01-20-2017, 10:09 PM)
Dystify's Avatar
I posted this on Twitter earlier, but it might also be of interest here. A comparison between Splatoon for Wii U and Switch. Splatoon 2 seems to have better textures, better lighting and shadow effects. (Look at the tree for example.) Some people argued that the game doesn't look better on Switch, which this should disprove. I personally don't care either way, even on Wii U it looked great.

RedFyn
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:35 PM)
RedFyn's Avatar

Originally Posted by UncleSporky

I'm not confident that all old specials are gone. We haven't seen enough of them to account for the same number...I think they just wanted to highlight the new stuff.

I want my shield.

We have actually. Splatoon only has 7 specials. So far we've seen six of Splatoon 2s.

Originally Posted by Dystify

I posted this on Twitter earlier, but it might also be of interest here. A comparison between Splatoon for Wii U and Switch. Splatoon 2 seems to have better textures, better lighting and shadow effects. (Look at the tree for example.) Some people argued that the game doesn't look better on Switch, which this should disprove. I personally don't care either way, even on Wii U it looked great.

People that played Splatoon saw that it's different. People that didn't never cared.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(01-20-2017, 11:37 PM)
QisTopTier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Regiruler

You can still do that with stingray.

Stingray looks so slow x.x/
Aldric
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:40 PM)

Originally Posted by RedFyn

People that played Splatoon saw that it's different. People that didn't never cared.

I played Splatoon for hundreds of hours and think Splatoon 2 looks like shit. The aliasing is awful.
EmCeeGramr
Mr. speaker, we are for the big
(01-20-2017, 11:40 PM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dystify

I posted this on Twitter earlier, but it might also be of interest here. A comparison between Splatoon for Wii U and Switch. Splatoon 2 seems to have better textures, better lighting and shadow effects. (Look at the tree for example.) Some people argued that the game doesn't look better on Switch, which this should disprove. I personally don't care either way, even on Wii U it looked great.

I kinda noticed this. Splatoon 1 is a game that heavily benefits from its art style, but if you ever tried to take screenshots of it (like I did to show off Miiverse posts or outfits) using the Wii U's browser screenshot tool, you'd quickly see how in-game it looks very jaggy, with low res textures and not a lot of geometry, even on the Inkling models, and flatly lit levels. Nintendo themselves even tried to hide it a bit; the screenshots they used for the Twitter and Tumblr pages were always clearly downsampled with lots of AA and possible other IQ enhancing features that aren't in the actual game which make it look much smoother.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:41 PM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aldric

I played Splatoon for hundreds of hours and think Splatoon 2 looks like shit. The aliasing is awful.

Haha alright man.
RedFyn
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:51 PM)
RedFyn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aldric

I played Splatoon for hundreds of hours and think Splatoon 2 looks like shit. The aliasing is awful.

Uhh you can think it looks bad all you want. But I can't believe that you played for hundreds of hours and didn't see the difference when watching the trailer.

Doorman
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:52 PM)
Doorman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Confused Cheeseburger

If they literally ported Splatoon to switch, that would be enough for me to buy it. But seeing the the additions and even some of the map design, plus the sweet prospect of lotion on the go has me amped. One of Nintendo's best franchises.

....Uhhh....???

Anyway...I for one will be glad to see inkzooka go. Its speed for being an instant-kill and its pathing combined with some of Splatoon's fun latency issues makes for a really frustrating experience to deal with. Getting insta-killed while around a corner because someone shot a zooka where you were literally a second and a half ago does not make for a fun experience. The grenadier you get while using the inkjet is still powerful but feels much more fair to use properly, since you need to actually hit a target in order to one-shot them, not just happen to fire along the correct [i]entire line[/] of ground. And it also makes it tougher to sneak around while still firing off those super-powered shots.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(01-20-2017, 11:53 PM)
QisTopTier's Avatar

Originally Posted by RedFyn

Uhh you can think it looks bad all you want. But I can't believe that you played for hundreds of hours and didn't see the difference when watching the trailer.

Yeah, this pretty much blows away anything in part 1
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(01-20-2017, 11:55 PM)
Jintor's Avatar
I have to admit like 60℅ of my splats in ranked are from surprise inkzookers
Aldric
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:58 PM)

Originally Posted by RedFyn

Uhh you can think it looks bad all you want. But I can't believe that you played for hundreds of hours and didn't see the difference when watching the trailer.

lt might not look exactly the same (the lighting is indeed the most obvious improvement) but l honestly don't know how anyone could blame people for thinking the two games are graphically similar. The geometry is still super simple. There's jaggies everywhere. l must have missed these high res textures because the pic posted earlier looks like the grass texture from Mario 3D World's savanna level. l'm sure it'll be a great game as the strength of the franchise lies in its gameplay but Splatoon looked obsolete two years ago and this does too.
SinCityAssassin
Member
(01-21-2017, 12:03 AM)
SinCityAssassin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aldric

l'm sure it'll be a great game as the strength of the franchise lies in its gameplay but Splatoon looked obsolete two years ago and this does too.

EleventhHourSuperpower
EleventhHourPlagiarism
(01-21-2017, 12:03 AM)
EleventhHourSuperpower's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dystify

I posted this on Twitter earlier, but it might also be of interest here. A comparison between Splatoon for Wii U and Switch. Splatoon 2 seems to have better textures, (Look at the tree for example.) Some people argued that the game doesn't look better on Switch, which this should disprove. I personally don't care either way, even on Wii U it looked great.

About that tree, it looks like it's just a different, more complex design which ends up looking more blocky. Nothing more.

The game looks awfully similar to Splatoon 1, a significant improvement to lightning and small improvements elsewhere aside. I wonder if it will be possible for it to render above 720p (which it renders at the moment with no AA) in the final version.
Last edited by EleventhHourSuperpower; 01-21-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Doorman
Member
(01-21-2017, 12:37 AM)
Doorman's Avatar

Originally Posted by EleventhHourSuperpower

About that tree, it looks like it's just a different, more complex design which ends up looking more blocky. Nothing more.

The game looks awfully similar to Splatoon 1, a significant improvement to lightning and small improvements elsewhere aside. I wonder if it will be possible for it to render above 720p (which it renders at the moment with no AA) in the final version.

There's probably still at least a good six months before this launches, and Nintendo's going to be positioning it as a big release. I feel pretty good about the odds that the wizards they keep stored in the basement will find ways to further improve the look of the game between now and then. 1080p60 isn't out of the question.
D.Lo
Member
(01-21-2017, 12:45 AM)
D.Lo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aldric

l'm sure it'll be a great game as the strength of the franchise lies in its gameplay but Splatoon looked obsolete two years ago and this does too.

Apart from possibly resolution I always thought Splatoon looked nearly perfect. Especially the way the ink interacts with the environments.

The reason the new one looks similar is the art style has already been nailed. It's like how Mario Galaxy looks amazing in Dolphin, it's already basically perfect looking and all it needs is a resolution bump.
RedFyn
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:20 AM)
RedFyn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aldric

lt might not look exactly the same (the lighting is indeed the most obvious improvement) but l honestly don't know how anyone could blame people for thinking the two games are graphically similar. The geometry is still super simple. There's jaggies everywhere. l must have missed these high res textures because the pic posted earlier looks like the grass texture from Mario 3D World's savanna level. l'm sure it'll be a great game as the strength of the franchise lies in its gameplay but Splatoon looked obsolete two years ago and this does too.

The two games ARE graphically similar. Thats generally the point of a sequel. Splatoon 2 has the same art style and gameplay with improved visuals and design. I don't know what you mean by "looks obsolete". The art style looks unique (although less so now than when Splatoon was revealed) and fresh. The opposite of obsolete.

And I don't blame people that haven't played Splatoon (or very little of it) and thought the trailer looked like a port. But that could be said for a lot of games and I don't think I've seen another game that has gotten this much skepticism. Its not hard to look at comparison pics and see the differences. At this point people saying it looks like a port are either trolling or have missed any of the comparisons and that just tells me they don't care enough about the game to want to.
Aldric
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:38 AM)

Originally Posted by RedFyn

The two games ARE graphically similar. Thats generally the point of a sequel.

That's a weird thing to say. There's quite a lot of sequels that are more immediately distinct than Splatoon and Splatoon 2. Especially when they're on different generations of hardware.

Splatoon 2 has the same art style and gameplay with improved visuals and design. I don't know what you mean by "looks obsolete". The art style looks unique (although less so now than when Splatoon was revealed) and fresh. The opposite of obsolete.

l thought the rest of my post made the context clear. lt looked technically obsolete. Basic geometry and textures, no AA, 720p. All things you find in Splatoon 2 except it's on new hardware released four years after the Wii U.

And I don't blame people that haven't played Splatoon (or very little of it) and thought the trailer looked like a port. But that could be said for a lot of games and I don't think I've seen another game that has gotten this much skepticism. Its not hard to look at comparison pics and see the differences. At this point people saying it looks like a port are either trolling or have missed any of the comparisons and that just tells me they don't care enough about the game to want to.

Or maybe people just think Switch games look like Wii U+ games, which they do. l also think Nintendo has done a pretty poor job highlighting the new gameplay elements outside of things only dedicated Splatoon fans would care about. l don't blame them though as l'm sure they'll go in depth in a Direct later this year.
Regiruler
Banned
(01-21-2017, 01:42 AM)

Originally Posted by QisTopTier

Stingray looks so slow x.x/

FWIW it does seem to last longer.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(01-21-2017, 01:43 AM)
QisTopTier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Regiruler

FWIW it does seem to last longer.

It last about a billion years longer, but outside of some very specific choke points I don't see it being anywhere near as good. The wail was great for how sudden it was and how huge the hitbox on it is
Last edited by QisTopTier; 01-21-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(01-21-2017, 01:48 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
Yeah honestly I loved the wail. A tier area denial
Ataru
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:48 AM)
A lot of the specials seem rather nerfed compared to the original, I hope that's not the case.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(01-21-2017, 01:50 AM)
QisTopTier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ataru

A lot of the specials seem rather nerfed compared to the original, I hope that's not the case.

I think they are aiming for the game to be just a tad more skill based and less steam roller moments. That raincloud looks a bit too much though.
Maxinas
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:54 AM)
Maxinas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aldric

l thought the rest of my post made the context clear. lt looked technically obsolete. Basic geometry and textures, no AA, 720p. All things you find in Splatoon 2 except it's on new hardware released four years after the Wii U.

Well yeah, the game won't be out till sometime in June-August, so there's still plenty of time to refine things, particularity the AA.
Ataru
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:03 AM)

Originally Posted by QisTopTier

I think they are aiming for the game to be just a tad more skill based and less steam roller moments. That raincloud looks a bit too much though.

Oh please, the original game was already quite skill based.

Without powerful specials, there is no way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, and that's just boring.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(01-21-2017, 02:04 AM)
QisTopTier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ataru

Oh please, the original game was already quite skill based.

Without powerful specials, there is no way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, and that's just boring.

Spoken like someone bad at competitive games :D

Teamwork is what snatches victory, the new specials look less of a one man army affair for the most part
Last edited by QisTopTier; 01-21-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Aldric
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Ataru

Oh please, the original game was already quite skill based.

Without powerful specials, there is no way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, and that's just boring.

They're giving main weapons new tools and honestly we've barely seen anything of the new specials, plus no one knew what they were doing with them either. Let's wait a bit before worrying about changes in the meta. lt's not like they can't patch the specials if they're indeed too weak anyway.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(01-21-2017, 02:15 AM)
TheGreatMightyPoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aldric

l'm sure it'll be a great game as the strength of the franchise lies in its gameplay but Splatoon looked obsolete two years ago and this does too.

Thanks for the laugh, I nearly broke all my ribs.
Doorman
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:15 AM)
Doorman's Avatar

Originally Posted by QisTopTier

I think they are aiming for the game to be just a tad more skill based and less steam roller moments. That raincloud looks a bit too much though.

To this point, I'm less sure about that. The raincloud looks to cover a pretty wide area and moves, but from the tiny bit of it that we saw, the rate of raindrop fall isn't actually all that fast and it doesn't look like the rain itself does any sort of considerable damage, it's just meant to help ink an area and flush out potential hiding enemies. I'm actually kind of happy something like that exists, mainly for the sake of forcing an enemy reaction when incurring rather than trying to single-handedly decimate the other team.
QisTopTier
XisBannedTier
(01-21-2017, 02:17 AM)
QisTopTier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Doorman

To this point, I'm less sure about that. The raincloud looks to cover a pretty wide area and moves, but from the tiny bit of it that we saw, the rate of raindrop fall isn't actually all that fast and it doesn't look like the rain itself does any sort of considerable damage, it's just meant to help ink an area and flush out potential hiding enemies. I'm actually kind of happy something like that exists, mainly for the sake of forcing an enemy reaction when incurring rather than trying to single-handedly decimate the other team.

Ah if it's something that does pretty much no damage then it will be great for forcing fights and it's fine as is :P
ryechu
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:18 AM)
ryechu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ataru

Oh please, the original game was already quite skill based.

Without powerful specials, there is no way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, and that's just boring.

The original was quite skill based, but none of that came from the special weapon mechanics. In fact, the game revolving around specials is what started holding the game back.

Thread Tools