• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Mael
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:27 AM)
Wii was a horror show because demand far outstripped any projection they had.
It's not their fault they planned for a moderate success/failure instead of the biggest phenomenon they ever created.
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-21-2017, 02:28 AM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by spelen

eb games in Toronto had them for aprox 30 min today sadly

which one? all of them?
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:34 AM)
zackmorris's Avatar

Originally Posted by WizardofPeace

Im not too worried about the games, i imagine ill be able to walk in and buy most games i want. Getting the console to play those games, well, thats going to be the hard part.

Shouldn't be too hard to find games. Most people won't have the console that can play them.
phsfootball2005
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Sola Scriptura

You asked them to check in the back?

I asked customer service.
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:36 AM)
zackmorris's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mael

Wii was a horror show because demand far outstripped any projection they had.
It's not their fault they planned for a moderate success/failure instead of the biggest phenomenon they ever created.

That would account for maybe the first few months. A year later that's no excuse. They new the sales numbers by then and had plenty of time to adjust
Yarbskoo
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:48 AM)
Yarbskoo's Avatar
It's Nintendo. The only time they don't have supply issues at launch is when they release a console no one wants.
Mael
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:53 AM)

Originally Posted by zackmorris

That would account for maybe the first few months. A year later that's no excuse. They new the sales numbers by then and had plenty of time to adjust

Usually you have a lull or something where you can replenish stock and everything.
They were sold out for 3 years!
They couldn't ramp up production so much because they were not enough plants around to produce enough ships anyway (remember how the GC was a failure after all and since they share a lot of internals after all).
They increased production as much as they could without being left with half the plants to do nothing once demand is met.
My point is that it wasn't something one could account for especially since usually most stock is sent for Xmas where the demand would kick into overdrive.
They basically were selling a product with Xmas demand all year, it's the kind of problem you want to have but then you have to meet the demand and that's not easy even for a big company (not so big at the time they were not even 7000 employees).
Heck how do you explain the explosive sales in 2007 when the biggest title they had was Mario Galaxy that didn't all that much and was released near Xmas?
in 2008 they released the big hitters with Wiifit and MKWii so you could anticipate the demand.
But january 2007->October 2007?
Demand didn't cool down till late 2008 when they had basically nothing interesting to sell.
And STILL they managed to sell less than DS which had no stock problem!
So I'd say the issue is more on the manufacturing of the Wii that they had an issue they couldn't easily solve.
My point is the more you look into the actual problem the more it seems like a comment similar to "lazy devs".
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:08 AM)
zackmorris's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mael

Usually you have a lull or something where you can replenish stock and everything.
They were sold out for 3 years!
They couldn't ramp up production so much because they were not enough plants around to produce enough ships anyway (remember how the GC was a failure after all and since they share a lot of internals after all).
They increased production as much as they could without being left with half the plants to do nothing once demand is met.
My point is that it wasn't something one could account for especially since usually most stock is sent for Xmas where the demand would kick into overdrive.
They basically were selling a product with Xmas demand all year, it's the kind of problem you want to have but then you have to meet the demand and that's not easy even for a big company (not so big at the time they were not even 7000 employees).
Heck how do you explain the explosive sales in 2007 when the biggest title they had was Mario Galaxy that didn't all that much and was released near Xmas?
in 2008 they released the big hitters with Wiifit and MKWii so you could anticipate the demand.
But january 2007->October 2007?
Demand didn't cool down till late 2008 when they had basically nothing interesting to sell.
And STILL they managed to sell less than DS which had no stock problem!
So I'd say the issue is more on the manufacturing of the Wii that they had an issue they couldn't easily solve.
My point is the more you look into the actual problem the more it seems like a comment similar to "lazy devs".

I'm still going to disagree. You could find a PS2 pretty easily within the first year. Same with an Xbox 360. The PS2 sold more than the Wii and the 360 wasn't far off. You could find a PS4 pretty easily after a few months despite it selling incredibly well.
Even still how do you explain the other stuff I mentioned? How many game cube adapters did they make 6? The NES classic not being readily available by Holiday is laughable, no way they couldn't meet that demand. It's not like it sold 10 million units, they just always under supply.
Peltz
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:28 AM)
Peltz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mael

Oh fuck, I'm getting Wii flashbacks...
People were actually listing Nintendo's shipment data and extrapolate from that...

Damn... the thirst is back. Who would've thought?
Mael
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:29 AM)

Originally Posted by zackmorris

I'm still going to disagree. You could find a PS2 pretty easily within the first year. Same with an Xbox 360. The PS2 sold more than the Wii and the 360 wasn't far off. You could find a PS4 pretty easily after a few months despite it selling incredibly well.
Even still how do you explain the other stuff I mentioned? How many game cube adapters did they make 6? The NES classic not being readily available by Holiday is laughable, no way they couldn't meet that demand. It's not like it sold 10 million units, they just always under supply.

Yeah I'm not going to defend anything but the Wii here.
NES classic, the closest explanation I have is that similar products like Genesis and Atari emu machines sold REALLY poorly so retailers didn't really want it and Nintendo planned and produced based on these estimates. They were wrong and they should plan accordingly now.

Wii was the fastest selling thing they ever had at the time, it sold at that rate (or increasing) for an abnormally long time. They were increasing production as much as could even advertising opening plants to meet the demand.
You have to remember that it was really product that they could easily throw away if it failed to edge their bets. It's different to plan for something to sell 50mil than it is to sell double that.
They basically reajusted every month because demand wasn't failing like it did for every other products.
Every other product usually have a launch period where you sell as much as you are able to stock, after that it's slower and you begin to see stock surface at retailers.
That didn't happen on Wii.
For you 360 example, MSFT basically stuffed the channel in mid 2007 to claim 'victory' on the sold 10mil mark while Wii didn't have enough stock to even get there.
And you're conflating LTD numbers too, 360 basically had 2 big marketing push where they relaunched the whole thing with Kinect, it proved successful but let's not claim that it was initially as popular as Wii on the outset either.
And we have wiki page for Wii sales performance lol
101Mil to date.
and you can see the shipment trajectory too.
Persona7
Banned
(03-21-2017, 03:35 AM)
The only games that seem to be in short supply are 1, 2 switch and bomberman. Every store locally has 4-5 instead of 20+ like Zelda.
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(03-21-2017, 03:37 AM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Persona7

The only games that seem to be in short supply are 1, 2 switch and bomberman. Every store locally has 4-5 instead of 20+ like Zelda.

Do you know what short supply means? lol

More like there is no demand for those games.
JoshuaJSlone
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:58 AM)
JoshuaJSlone's Avatar

Originally Posted by zackmorris

The Wii was a horror show to find for well over a year

There were more Wiis available than any near-launch home console ever.
Persona7
Banned
(03-21-2017, 04:00 AM)

Originally Posted by BeforeU

Do you know what short supply means? lol

More like there is no demand for those games.

uhhh..something that is only available in small amounts.
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:01 AM)
zackmorris's Avatar
Well Best Buy just restocked pro controllers online. So now I have my pro controller, my case, my SD card, screen protector and Zelda. Just waiting on you Switch.
PAULINK
I microwave steaks.
(03-21-2017, 04:01 AM)
PAULINK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Persona7

The only games that seem to be in short supply are 1, 2 switch and bomberman. Every store locally has 4-5 instead of 20+ like Zelda.

at the local bestbuy, there were 30 copies of 12 switch, more stock than the other games combined lol.
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:03 AM)
zackmorris's Avatar

Originally Posted by JoshuaJSlone

There were more Wiis available than any near-launch home console ever.

I'm not even sure what your trying to say. But the Wii was not easily and readily available for well over a year after launch.
Ocho
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:17 AM)
Ocho's Avatar

Originally Posted by zackmorris

Well Best Buy just restocked pro controllers online. So now I have my pro controller, my case, my SD card, screen protector and Zelda. Just waiting on you Switch.

Damn I missed it.
sviri
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:41 AM)
Checked a few Best Buys a few hours ago in California.... no luck yet. All stores said they have not received any additional shipments since launch.
milw00kiee
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 04:26 PM)
milw00kiee's Avatar
Good morning thread. I am swinging by 1 maybe 2 GameStops on my commute from work this evening and hoping for the best, but mainly to try and gather intel. Then tomorrow I'm heading in over my lunch hour. Fingers crossed!
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:26 PM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar
here's to another day of waiting for the rooster sound only to be followed by disappointment.
milw00kiee
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 04:30 PM)
milw00kiee's Avatar
Also, I have added the black RDS case to my shrine this morning.
Jaded Alyx
(03-21-2017, 04:31 PM)
Jaded Alyx's Avatar

Originally Posted by zackmorris

That would account for maybe the first few months. A year later that's no excuse. They new the sales numbers by then and had plenty of time to adjust

This is silly.

The Wii sold more units than any other console month after month. Do you not realise what that means? There were more Wii consoles available for purchase than any other console in history.

The amount of consoles Nintendo supplied to retail was literally unprecedented.
Glass Shark
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:33 PM)
Glass Shark's Avatar
My Switch arrived yesterday from Spain in tip-top shape. I was really worried that it would have some sort of defect and I'd have to send it back right away, but all is well. Spent some time with Zelda on both docked and handheld mode and the system is great. Really looking forward to more games, things are a bit sparse right now... but at the pace I'm playing Zelda I imagine I'll be chipping away at it for weeks, if not months.

Since my endless nightmare of refreshing is over, this is where I leave you all. Best of luck to those of you still searching for your Switches. All I can say at this point is buying from an international Amazon site was a boon for me with no major hiccups, so if it's an option, you should go for it!
DR2K
Doesn't buy fighting games to actually play them
(03-21-2017, 04:34 PM)
DR2K's Avatar
Walmart in Houston got a restock today. Just picked up mine. Brickseek is a god send
JoshuaJSlone
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:38 PM)
JoshuaJSlone's Avatar

Originally Posted by zackmorris

I'm not even sure what your trying to say. But the Wii was not easily and readily available for well over a year after launch.

Yes, but it wasn't for Nintendo holding back supply. They were selling more than any home console had before and kept increasing production, but things still didn't even out for about 3 years.
Griss
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Persona7

uhhh..something that is only available in small amounts.

Nah, it means that the amount available does not / will not equal demand.

Therefore, with these games the fact that there's few of them on shelves doesn't mean they're in short supply as that small amount is presumably plenty to meet demand.
Luschient
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:48 PM)
Luschient's Avatar
Welp, so far this morning I've tried 2 Targets, a Walmart, and Costco with no luck. Hitting up a Best Buy on the way home and if they don't have it then I'm done searching for this thing. Will just wait until it's sitting on shelves, whenever that is.
Gai Murakumo
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:50 PM)
Gai Murakumo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Luschient

Welp, so far this morning I've tried 2 Targets, a Walmart, and Costco with no luck. Hitting up a Best Buy on the way home and if they don't have it then I'm done searching for this thing. Will just wait until it's sitting on shelves, whenever that is.

Unless you are hardcore dedicated to find a Switch no matter what, it is best just to wait till it can be much easier to get one. That is what I am doing since it will be at least around summer before I may try to get a Switch.
electric turd
Banned
(03-21-2017, 04:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Luschient

Welp, so far this morning I've tried 2 Targets, a Walmart, and Costco with no luck. Hitting up a Best Buy on the way home and if they don't have it then I'm done searching for this thing. Will just wait until it's sitting on shelves, whenever that is.

This is where im at. I'm running myslef ragged
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:04 PM)
zackmorris's Avatar
Going by some stock trackers it seems like a lot of stores got restocks today. Not much in my state though. Also some gamestops popped up on there, so I'm guessing those shipments came in early.
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:04 PM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar

Originally Posted by Luschient

Welp, so far this morning I've tried 2 Targets, a Walmart, and Costco with no luck. Hitting up a Best Buy on the way home and if they don't have it then I'm done searching for this thing. Will just wait until it's sitting on shelves, whenever that is.

I've given up on randomly showing up at stores. I just check iStockNow with New Arrival's filter on and have online alerts. I don't have the patience to run around to every single store.
Mpl90
Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
(03-21-2017, 05:04 PM)
Mpl90's Avatar

Originally Posted by JoshuaJSlone

There were more Wiis available than any near-launch home console ever.

I knew you would've appeared :P
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:32 PM)
zackmorris's Avatar

Originally Posted by TarpitCarnivore

I've given up on randomly showing up at stores. I just check iStockNow with New Arrival's filter on and have online alerts. I don't have the patience to run around to every single store.

Yeah going store to store is tough. I wish those in stock trackers were a little more reliable. I'm hoping for an Amazon restock
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:04 PM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar

Originally Posted by zackmorris

Yeah going store to store is tough. I wish those in stock trackers were a little more reliable. I'm hoping for an Amazon restock

with iStockNow filter out by New Arrivals and then validate the activity time. Anything less than 10 minutes and you're probably safe.
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:18 PM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar
Holy shit, I finally got one from Amazon Prime Now in NYC.
milw00kiee
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 06:18 PM)
milw00kiee's Avatar
according to iStockNow Gamestops across the country are poppin off with Switches right now
milw00kiee
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 06:19 PM)
milw00kiee's Avatar

Originally Posted by TarpitCarnivore

Holy shit, I finally got one from Amazon Prime Now in NYC.


congrats!
Naked Snake
(03-21-2017, 06:29 PM)
Naked Snake's Avatar

Originally Posted by jrh2

My Switch arrived yesterday from Spain in tip-top shape. I was really worried that it would have some sort of defect and I'd have to send it back right away, but all is well. Spent some time with Zelda on both docked and handheld mode and the system is great. Really looking forward to more games, things are a bit sparse right now... but at the pace I'm playing Zelda I imagine I'll be chipping away at it for weeks, if not months.

Since my endless nightmare of refreshing is over, this is where I leave you all. Best of luck to those of you still searching for your Switches. All I can say at this point is buying from an international Amazon site was a boon for me with no major hiccups, so if it's an option, you should go for it!

It looks like Amazon Spain doesn't ship internationally currently/anymore, and they increased the price of the Switch by 10 euro.
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:34 PM)
zackmorris's Avatar

Originally Posted by milw00kiee

according to iStockNow Gamestops across the country are poppin off with Switches right now

Yep. Still nothing in my area. Seems like a lot of people on this thread have been slowly getting them the past few days. Hopefully that bodes well for me in the next few days.
psychotron
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:35 PM)
psychotron's Avatar

Originally Posted by TarpitCarnivore

Holy shit, I finally got one from Amazon Prime Now in NYC.

Damn I've been checking today too and all I see are classic controllers and a few games.
Valdfellgar
Banned
(03-21-2017, 06:38 PM)

Originally Posted by zackmorris

Yep. Still nothing in my area. Seems like a lot of people on this thread have been slowly getting them the past few days. Hopefully that bodes well for me in the next few days.

Same, although there's a lone Gamestop up above Boston MA that claims to have gotten stock two hours ago lol. That's like a three hour drive for me. I'm hoping it's a sign that stock is about to hit most of southern MA tomorrow though.
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:41 PM)
zackmorris's Avatar

Originally Posted by Valdfellgar

Same, although there's a lone Gamestop up above Boston MA that claims to have gotten stock two hours ago lol. That's like a three hour drive for me. I'm hoping it's a sign that stock is about to hit most of southern MA tomorrow though.

Yeah I'm just outside Boston but it looks like the one that got stock was Peabody. If I wasn't at work I would have called and headed over. I assume they are probably gone at this point, but I'll give them a call when I get off just to be sure.
Valdfellgar
Banned
(03-21-2017, 06:43 PM)

Originally Posted by zackmorris

Yeah I'm just outside Boston but it looks like the one that got stock was Peabody. If I wasn't at work I would have called and headed over. I assume they are probably gone at this point, but I'll give them a call when I get off just to be sure.

Good luck if you call and decide to head out!
Zarovitch
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:50 PM)
Zarovitch's Avatar
Yesterday I've found a Switch for my friend in a ToysRus. They receive two console.
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:53 PM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar

Originally Posted by psychotron

Damn I've been checking today too and all I see are classic controllers and a few games.

https://primenow.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LTHP2ZK
https://primenow.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUAGZ49

I used auto refresh plus extension in Chrome. I set it to notify me if the words 'Currently Unavailable" ever went away.
Soulscribe
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:56 PM)
Soulscribe's Avatar
Any luck for anyone in the Austin area? iStock Now said Walmart got like 16 units but the lady on the phone said they didn't get any.
Hari Seldon
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:57 PM)
Hari Seldon's Avatar
I wish I could just put my name on a fucking list and get an email when mine comes in. This calling and checking stock websites is fucking horseshit. This is 2017 why the fuck isn't this more streamlined.
zackmorris
Member
(03-21-2017, 07:01 PM)
zackmorris's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hari Seldon

I wish I could just put my name on a fucking list and get an email when mine comes in. This calling and checking stock websites is fucking horseshit. This is 2017 why the fuck isn't this more streamlined.

GameStop was doing something like that about a week and a half ago. Doesn't appear to be going on anymore.
Futureman
Member
(03-21-2017, 07:11 PM)
Futureman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hari Seldon

I wish I could just put my name on a fucking list and get an email when mine comes in. This calling and checking stock websites is fucking horseshit. This is 2017 why the fuck isn't this more streamlined.

Yep I'd gladly put down a $300 non refundable deposit. I guess these stores figure they'll sell the systems no matter what so why bother? I have a Best Buy elite gold membership or whatever it's called... would be nice perk for them to hold one for me!

Thread Tools