• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

it's all music and podcasts. although right now it's music.

i don't stream my music because a) my plan is shit for that, b) reception is terrible and i take my phone overseas, and c) stuff i listen to is mostly not streamable

Ever consider getting portable wireless storage? I haven't used it for this purpose myself but might be cheaper than replacing the phone.

Sandisk Connect Wireless stick for something small, or Seagate wireless plus for more bulk, capacity, and battery life.

Quasar

and c) stuff i listen to is mostly not streamable

well at least that part is solvable. Just use the free google play music and upload all your music. That's how I listen to all my Japanese imported music as none of it is on a streaming service. Its why any service without that option (hellow Spotify) is a non starter as I require a music locker component (and so I think my only options are Google, Apple and Amazon).

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
For when I'm in an office with bad reception. or when I'm on a plane. Or when I'm on a train in another country. Or maybe because I can.
This. Not everyone wants to stream their music. I want it sitting on my phone ready to go. Wanna use my data for actual internet stuff.

This. Not everyone wants to stream their music. I want it sitting on my phone ready to go. Wanna use my data for actual internet stuff.

Yep, I have a stupidly large collection of music. Probably close to 500gb by now. I would say half of it isn't available via streaming services. Also, my LG V20 has excellent audio quality. I listen to a couple of hours of music a day.

I also have a 12gb data cap, and come close to using that each month without music streaming.

Streaming is nice... but I much prefer being able to access my files at all times. I kind of feel like this is a generational thing, that younger people don't understand. Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong!

Jintor

Yeah I butt up against my 8gb as it is without doing a lot of streaming, only watching the occasional youtube vid. I don't want to imagine it with all my music streaming when I already have it in a form suitable for mass transit.

i mean remember these things

cap._classic-mp3-player-with-lcd-display-8gb-expandable.jpg

i think i still have a couple of 256mb ones of these hanging around somewhere. They really teach you to consolidate down your collection to what you want to hear on the move

Let's not get into casette tapes, lol.

choodi

Banned
Yep, I have a stupidly large collection of music. Probably close to 500gb by now. I would say half of it isn't available via streaming services. Also, my LG V20 has excellent audio quality. I listen to a couple of hours of music a day.

I also have a 12gb data cap, and come close to using that each month without music streaming.

Streaming is nice... but I much prefer being able to access my files at all times. I kind of feel like this is a generational thing, that younger people don't understand. Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong!

Nah, I'm 39 and am perfectly happy with streaming my music.

Also what sort of music are you listening to that is not available on streaming services? I listen to death and black metal and most of that shit is available on Google Play Music.

Hope I'm not sounding to critical, I'm just keen to know how other people use their devices.

Jintor

a lot of game and anime soundtracks (some not officially released yet like the splatoon 2 ost), jpn alt music labels that don't have the clout yet to get onto streaming services that aren't bandcamp etc. japanese media companies are still pretty behind on things. that kinda thing.

Nah, I'm 39 and am perfectly happy with streaming my music.

Also what sort of music are you listening to that is not available on streaming services? I listen to death and black metal and most of that shit is available on Google Play Music.

Hope I'm not sounding to critical, I'm just keen to know how other people use their devices.

Mostly obscure electronic stuff. I haven't looked super closely at the streaming services beyond Spotify honestly, but I find the concept of having to juggle multiple streaming services more of a hassle than just loading the music onto my SD card and calling it a day!

jambo

I use a mixture of Google Play Music, Soundcloud and Bandcamp to cover all my bases.

Luckily Google Play Music doesn't count towards data on Optus, but with the others I often just download ahead of time or eat the data.

I have 64+32 on my phone though.

Mostly obscure electronic stuff. I haven't looked super closely at the streaming services beyond Spotify honestly, but I find the concept of having to juggle multiple streaming services more of a hassle than just loading the music onto my SD card and calling it a day!
The PS4 Spotify integration is what got me to make the jump to streaming music, and I don't think I'll ever go back. It's a very rare occurrence that Spotify doesn't have something I want to listen to though, I can understand the frustration if you're into a sub-genre of music that isn't well represented there.

a lot of game and anime soundtracks (some not officially released yet like the splatoon 2 ost), jpn alt music labels that don't have the clout yet to get onto streaming services that aren't bandcamp etc. japanese media companies are still pretty behind on things. that kinda thing.
I shouldn't have to go to YouTube when I have a hankering to listen to the Persona 4 soundtrack. That's just not right.

Oh God, I am such a nerd.

Google Music integration of your own music is pretty amazing next level streaming. Always been impressed with that.

Spotify algorithms are so good, can't do without my Discover list, knows me so well!

PPxooRu.png

Quasar

Yeah. Basically none of my Japanese music (mostly but some jpop too) is available on any streaming service. At best you see is covers. Otherwise there’s basically only LiSa. Hence why music locker functionality is critical.

if i can find any Big W stock i might get a Mini SNES but i wish it had one of the turtles games on there by default.

in other News this Show is the guilty pleasure of mine and is much better then it has any right to be ( but what can you expect from one of the ex futurma writers/ show runners)

highlights include Crash bandicoot ( with a Voice over)

anyone else going to tune in ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0WpQq41MMw

- wait how do you embed youtube videos again ?

if i can find any Big W stock i might get a Mini SNES but i wish it had one of the turtles games on there by default.

in other News this Show is the guilty pleasure of mine and is much better then it has any right to be ( but what can you expect from one of the ex futurma writers/ show runners)

highlights include Crash bandicoot ( with a Voice over)

anyone else going to tune in ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0WpQq41MMw

- wait how do you embed youtube videos again ?

Yeah I watch Skylanders Academy with my son, it's great. Also check out Sonic Boom which is really similar. Loving this askew kids show style we've been getting lately. Teen Titans Go is out fav so the news of a movie next year was huge in the house hold lol

TLZ

Banned
Didn't know this thread exists. At least there's a place to vent my frustrations where maybe someone might relate or understand.

I've been unemployed for more than a year now because of a disability I have in my back that stops me from working full time.

Been looking for work since but can't find a single employer who'd take me part time (half day work because that's all I'm able to do). As a result I'm stuck on Centrelink with little money (at least some money so I'm thankful to them I'm not on the streets begging) and have to report fortnightly to a disability program thing I've been sent to where I was told I'll get all the help needed to get a job, and I thought yay!

These guys at the program don't care and don't do anything. Even though they know I'm not good for Labor work because of my disability, they give me lectures about how I should accept toilet cleaning work! Where I can meet people to get back into the industry I was in! Like what in the world?! They just want to get rid of me and aren't empathetic at all. Thanks to them I have anxiety now and will have to see a doctor.

After 20 years of work experience I've gone through (and a uni degree), and this is how I'm treated. I feel so worthless :(

I have my wife and kids to cheer me up, but I wish I could do more for them, because I'm only 37. I hate feeling like a nobody.

And I'm sorry if this post is gloomy to you.

choodi

Banned
You should lodge a complaint with Centrelink about the program/agency. That's pretty unacceptable.

Have you applied for government jobs. Public service tends to be a little more flexible and you might be able to negotiate something suitable.

TLZ

Banned
Shit, mate, that sucks. What profession were you in previously, if i can ask?

I've done a few different things; PR, IT, HR, a bit of accounting, then a management role. Been managing another forum for almost 10 years now but I do that for free. I'm happy with any office work with a friendly environment at the moment because I just can't find any work. It's just become desperation at the moment, when it shouldn't be.

You should lodge a complaint with Centrelink about the program/agency. That's pretty unacceptable.

Have you applied for government jobs. Public service tends to be a little more flexible and you might be able to negotiate something suitable.
At this point I'm not sure Centrelink would even care that much? I don't know.

I haven't applied to govt jobs on the basis that others didn't accept me so why would these more important/sensitive ones be any different. I don't know. I just feel so devastated and unwanted tbh, for something I didn't do. I might try these govs but at this point I'm not optimistic.

Didn't know this thread exists. At least there's a place to vent my frustrations where maybe someone might relate or understand.

I've been unemployed for more than a year now because of a disability I have in my back that stops me from working full time.

Been looking for work since but can't find a single employer who'd take me part time (half day work because that's all I'm able to do). As a result I'm stuck on Centrelink with little money (at least some money so I'm thankful to them I'm not on the streets begging) and have to report fortnightly to a disability program thing I've been sent to where I was told I'll get all the help needed to get a job, and I thought yay!

These guys at the program don't care and don't do anything. Even though they know I'm not good for Labor work because of my disability, they give me lectures about how I should accept toilet cleaning work! Where I can meet people to get back into the industry I was in! Like what in the world?! They just want to get rid of me and aren't empathetic at all. Thanks to them I have anxiety now and will have to see a doctor.

After 20 years of work experience I've gone through (and a uni degree), and this is how I'm treated. I feel so worthless :(

I have my wife and kids to cheer me up, but I wish I could do more for them, because I'm only 37. I hate feeling like a nobody.

And I'm sorry if this post is gloomy to you.
Sorry dude, I haven't heard anything good about job seeker programs :(

choodi

Banned
I haven't applied to govt jobs on the basis that others didn't accept me so why would these more important/sensitive ones be any different. I don't know. I just feel so devastated and unwanted tbh, for something I didn't do. I might try these govs but at this point I'm not optimistic.

You should definitely try government. Public service has way more equal employment considerations and is not profit focussed. What state/city are you in? I can vouch that queensland government is pretty progressive when it comes to flexible working arrangements. I imagine other state govs are the same.

TLZ

Banned
You should definitely try government. Public service has way more equal employment considerations and is not profit focussed. What state/city are you in? I can vouch that queensland government is pretty progressive when it comes to flexible working arrangements. I imagine other state govs are the same.
I'm in NSW, Sydney Metro. I'll try that.

Sorry if I'm being a bit negative, but all this so far got me to this point and it's depressing, to the point I sometimes don't know what's the point of living then, with all this neglect. Really trying hard not to be a bum but it's not working.

Feeling productive is good for the soul. Not sure if your situation makes it possible but have you thought about volunteering? Even just a few hours a week? Good way to get out and talk to people too.

choodi

Banned
I'm in NSW, Sydney Metro. I'll try that.

Sorry if I'm being a bit negative, but all this so far got me to this point and it's depressing, to the point I sometimes don't know what's the point of living then, with all this neglect. Really trying hard not to be a bum but it's not working.

Nah mate, we're all entitled to get upset now and again. Just don't let it get you down too much.

Feeling productive is good for the soul. Not sure if your situation makes it possible but have you thought about volunteering? Even just a few hours a week? Good way to get out and talk to people too.

This is a good idea and could lead to some good contacts as well. Worked for me when I needed to get some work experience under my belt after uni.

TLZ

Banned

This is a good idea and could lead to some good contacts as well. Worked for me when I needed to get some work experience under my belt after uni.
That works for younger people better yea. In my case though at 37 I'm not sure it'll do much. Companies are always looking for younger, fresh minds.

legend166

That works for younger people better yea. In my case though at 37 I'm not sure it'll do much. Companies are always looking for younger, fresh minds.

Don't try and get yourself down, 37 definitely isn't old enough for age discrimination to start.

The key is to not give up after a few (or even many) rejections. Just keep sending off that resume to as many jobs as you can find. Look for part time ones, say where they may want you 3 days a week, because they may be willing to let you do 5 half days instead. That way you're not restricting yourself to jobs that only advertise half days.

Sorry you're in this position, it sounds terrible.

On another topic, it looks as though Golf Story was developed by an Aussie! I was most likely going to buy it, but now I'm getting it for sure.

choodi

Banned

Actually, most people who volunteer are older than you, so you will most likely be the younger person.

Have a look at places like Oxfam and other charity groups. Check out www.volunteering.nsw.gov.au for how you can find something that suits you. There are plenty of places that need skilled volunteers, so it's not just menial work.

In the end, it's up to you to make the system work for you. Sitting back and waiting for Centrelink to do something is a waste of time, so make something happen for yourself.

Get out there and prove you can do the work and that will make it easier to show a prospective employer that you are capable of being a valuable employee.

SNES mini has been shipped...looks like I'll be playing SFII turbo later. I ain't about to let my son win either :)

8 year old can combo already

5yo daughter can have a free win or two though

TLZ

Banned
Don't try and get yourself down, 37 definitely isn't old enough for age discrimination to start.

The key is to not give up after a few (or even many) rejections. Just keep sending off that resume to as many jobs as you can find. Look for part time ones, say where they may want you 3 days a week, because they may be willing to let you do 5 half days instead. That way you're not restricting yourself to jobs that only advertise half days.

Sorry you're in this position, it sounds terrible.

That's exactly what I've been doing since May 2016 til now. I feel like the disability part is putting people off.

Actually, most people who volunteer are older than you, so you will most likely be the younger person.

Have a look at places like Oxfam and other charity groups. Check out www.volunteering.nsw.gov.au for how you can find something that suits you. There are plenty of places that need skilled volunteers, so it's not just menial work.

In the end, it's up to you to make the system work for you. Sitting back and waiting for Centrelink to do something is a waste of time, so make something happen for yourself.

Get out there and prove you can do the work and that will make it easier to show a prospective employer that you are capable of being a valuable employee.
I'll try that. And believe me I haven't waited nor expected Centrelink to do anything. I've been applying for more than a year now. My problem with Centrelink or that disability work program is that they do the opposite of what they advertise and aren't helpful at all. In fact they're pushing me to accept Labor work which they know I can't do, and at one point threatened to tell Centrelink I'm rejecting jobs offers! I told them to go ahead because they're just being idiots and they know it. They're making matters worse and I just want these people off my back if they can't be helpful.

I know this is probably unnecessary here but I feel obliged anyway: make sure you return your Marriage Plebisurvery Thingies by October 27th (to allow time for postage), and if you haven't received your form by now you should contact the ABS for a replacement, all forms should have arrived by September 25th.

Recreat3

Sent mine straight away.

Who here has a switch pro controller. Think ill grab one in the next week or so in preperation for mario. Will be nice for when i complete zelda aswell. Worth the price?

Rizzi

Sent mine straight away.

Who here has a switch pro controller. Think ill grab one in the next week or so in preperation for mario. Will be nice for when i complete zelda aswell. Worth the price?

I bought one the day after I bought my Switch. Honestly I prefer using the regular joycon controller.. thing.

Rezbit

Sent mine straight away.

If you can get one on sale at Big W or Target it's not too bad (although still kinda pricey). Very comfy controller, nice sticks and big buttons. I mostly go for that over the joycon grip. I think it's definitely a luxury though, not totally necessary but it's nice to have, especially when I play 2 player games.

Sent mine straight away.

I'd say so, though I mostly played Zelda in handheld mode as I don't get to spend a lot of alone time in front of the TV.

Pro controller is good except for the dpad input wonkiness. I'm considering one of the Switch tailored 8bitdo pseudo-snes pads as my second Pro controller when it comes out.

senahorse

Pro controller is good except for the dpad input wonkiness. I'm considering one of the Switch tailored 8bitdo pseudo-snes pads as my second Pro controller when it comes out.

Thanks mutes you saved me, I was about to buy a couple of SFC30 pads for SNES classic/swtich, and now I see there are new versions coming.

Arksy

If you're looking for a mini-SNES but don't have one on pre-order, there have been extra consoles shipped out to almost every EB games. More than the number required to fill pre-orders. So there -should- be spares all over the shop, but I'm not 100% how many in each store, etc.

Recreat3

If you're looking for a mini-SNES but don't have one on pre-order, there have been extra consoles shipped out to almost every EB games. More than the number required to fill pre-orders. So there -should- be spares all over the shop, but I'm not 100% how many in each store, etc.

Picking mine up from eb on saturday. I wonder if they will let me snag a 2nd if they have any.

Thanks for the info on the pro controllers aswell guys. Ill definitely pick one up, just goinf to look into the dpad issue.

If you can get one on sale at Big W or Target it's not too bad (although still kinda pricey). Very comfy controller, nice sticks and big buttons. I mostly go for that over the joycon grip. I think it's definitely a luxury though, not totally necessary but it's nice to have, especially when I play 2 player games.

I've been telling everyone that it's a must have for Switch owners. Since getting the pro controller I can't go back to the joycon grip. Still so expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom