• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

danowat

Banned
This is a random question, but does the EE have any form of minimap quest tracking? I tried playing the original but could never figure out where I had to go and eventually gave up on it. Would love to give this version a shot though.

It does on mine, there are icons on the minimap to denote quest points.

epmode

This is a random question, but does the EE have any form of minimap quest tracking? I tried playing the original but could never figure out where I had to go and eventually gave up on it. Would love to give this version a shot though.

I think the journal entries were updated to make it more clear but Larian refuses to add minimap arrows or objective markers aside from some basic navigation aids.

It does on mine, there are icons on the minimap to denote quest points.

That seems to go against what I read about the Enhanced Edition during development.

How specific are the markers? I suspect they'll only show you building names or towns and the like, not pinpoint your destination.

Lanrutcon

Except it costs more than 1 AP, right? You get Glass Cannon on your rogue, go stand behind an enemy, and Sneak/Backstab over and over during your turn (probably like 5 times depending on AP). You'll easily wipe out damn near anything.

I'm solely talking about damage, not misdirection or anything else. Sneaking is just a way to deal more damage rather than hiding in this scenario (although you can still end your turn in sneak mode).

Oh, that makes sense. In my mind the enemy would face you after a single hit, hadn't realised you can spam backstabs like that.

eh...there's a Scoundrel skill that makes you invisible. Invisibility doesn't have any checks associated with it, you can go dance in front of a boss and he won't see you. I abused the shit out of it for stealing, setting up barrels and scouting.

It has a 10rounds cooldown. Sneak has no cd, which means, you get behind a mob, backstab, sneak, backstab, sneak, backstab etc until out of AP, sneak before end of round so mobs don't see you and rinse repeat the next round.

Sneak is a damage boost in combat for a melee rogue, it's not for moving around. I mentionned it but at least in original if you played melee rogue, you had to have 5sneaking, as it massively improved combat performance. Good thing though is it only costs 2points to achieve 5, since you get +2 from gear and +1 from a trait you can unlock in the first town.

With that said, there's a bunch of nerfs to that playstyle in talents and the skills are a lot better, so don't know how necessary it'll be in EE. It's one of the things I want to test right away, that and how dual wielding works(AP penalty, damage calculations with skills/backstab and such).

danowat

Banned
That seems to go against what I read about the Enhanced Edition during development.

How specific are the markers? I suspect they'll only show you building names or towns and the like, not pinpoint your destination.

Seemed fairly specific to me, they lead you to the objective, they are on the map you access when you press the touchpad, yellow and black pointers/markers

Ourobolus

Banned
Oh, that makes sense. In my mind the enemy would face you after a single hit, hadn't realised you can spam backstabs like that.

Yeah man. Blind or stun the enemy so you get 100% hit chance. Line up a backstab, and start sneak-stabbing. It's ridiculous.

Though I'm not sure what nerfs may be incoming.

Speaking on which, is there a list of what skills/talents/spells are changed and in what way?

danowat

Banned
Is there any sort of option to turn them off?

I didn't delve too much into the options, but I think so, the tutorial prompts eluded to it, there are also big black item markers that shout "TOMB KEY" and stuff like that which I think can be turned off.

Lanrutcon

Yeah man. Blind or stun the enemy so you get 100% hit chance. Line up a backstab, and start sneak-stabbing. It's ridiculous.

Though I'm not sure what nerfs may be incoming.

Speaking on which, is there a list of what skills/talents/spells are changed and in what way?

The wiki is slowly being updated. I've been having a read through. Scoundrel got massively revamped. Actually interested in rolling one now.

Actually, I wonder if they added that to Tactician on some/most mobs. The backstab chain thing was fairly OP and even with the talent nerfs I think it'd still be broken. Would be interesting if they force you to stun/knockdown mobs before you do it and stuff.

aravuus

Welp. Looks like I'm back in.

- Purchased D:OS at launch.

- Thoughouhly enjoyed playing like 10 hours in the opening town, completing all the side quests.

- Went outside the gates for my first real combat experience.

- Must have gone in the wrong direction 'cause I completely got my as kicked. Again. And. Again.

- Uninstalled the game.

Can't wait to try again in Baby Mode!!!

I got around 25 hours into it before it started getting a bit too harsh for me

So yeah, also can't wait to try again in baby mode lol

Durante

[Dragon Commander is] an RTS/RPG/adventure game hybrid. The sort of "this is exactly the game I wanted to make" experience that we used to see more of in the 90's. Definitely worth a go.
I agree absolutely, except I'd like to note that it's also somewhat of an action game (playing as a dragon in the RTS parts).

hemtae

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130199.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hemtae, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition -- MB-954D0E3A63C04141 - Taken by The_Monk. 37 entrants total.

t1445966260z1.png

Ricker

Too bad you have to start over...I am like 40 hours in the vanilla game and theres no way I am starting over...I will take a look and play it to see how the controller works and all though.

Ugh, 60 bucks for the console version? I was going to buy it again on ps4 like I did for wasteland but sixty? For a game that came out a year ago at 40?

Pass.

26% finished Witcher 3 on Steam.

Witcher 3 is a damn exception in that regard. There are games that are good, linear and easy and even then less than half people finished them. And W3, being a 100 hour game, have an incredibly high % of people finishing it.

I suppose it's that good and gripping. :)

aravuus

In case someone didn't notice, the game's unlocked on Steam. Playing it right now.

I'm not gonna get any uni stuff done tonight, am I

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm aware of that but what do they end up doing for you? Does a squirrel occasionally kill a guard with poison or something awesome?

Sometimes you get some humorous dialog. Sometimes they can provide unorthodox solutions to quests, some will even outright give you quests.

Also all the rats in the world act as a hint system, you'll find rats near puzzles and they'll give you clues.

Anno

Plus the dog in the first town is secretly the best NPC in the game. I really hope they didn't rewrite him too much.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm downloading it on PC. The fact that this update is completely free puts a smile on my face :)

What really infuriates me is that fucking ugly icon. My goodness. Huge square icons need to fucking die a quick and merciless death. I'm off to find a suitable replacement...

Sometimes you get some humorous dialog. Sometimes they can provide unorthodox solutions to quests, some will even outright give you quests.

Also all the rats in the world act as a hint system, you'll find rats near puzzles and they'll give you clues.

Secretly I must have always wanted this because this sounds like the best thing ever. Will fire it up on my macbook later, graphic settings be damned!

I'm not forced into using those unorthodox solutions am I?

If I were to pick up the trait, would it make sense to use it on my main character or the second character I create?

patapuf

I'm not forced into using those unorthodox solutions am I?

No, but the solutions the animals provide are obviously only available if you can talk to them.

That said, imo, the main reason for picking the perk is that you miss some of the best dialogue and jokes of the game if you don't have it.

It's not a perk you pick for min/maxing. You pick it for a good laugh.

Top Bottom