• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan 2014 Console/Handheld Market: Lowest in 24 Years + Top Games

thats partly a misunderstood concept. Most of Europe has also a shrinking population and demographic problems. But gaming when you are older is not an issue like in japan.

European countries have massive immigration to fix that to an extend. Japan doesn't.

ninjabat

I think project morpheus will be what turns things around for the ps4, but it won't do much damage as I'm sure Apple will follow Samsung and release their own VR mobi tech.

Tetranet

Demographics work both ways though, less customers but also less people trying to make a living of gaming companies.

EDIT: At least anime, manga do well consistently, if you're into them as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not surprising. The ps3 is still rolling and there arent as many ps4 only japanese games. Im sure sales will pick up once these games start rolling in.

MGS5 and FF15 will bring in sales. I suspect we'll begin to see more titles this year at tgs that will move consoles in japan.

Let's be very optimistic and say PS4 sales double next year.

With the likely declines in everything else, that's still not really going to help.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Demographics work both ways though, less customers but also less people trying to make a living of gaming companies.

EDIT: At least anime, manga do well consistently, if you're into them as well.

I would argue anime has been on the decline for a long time now.

I would argue anime has been on the decline for a long time now.
In terms of mainstream popularity, probably. A huge portion of the industry is just banked on exploiting a niche, hardcore otaku crowd. There's more hope for the future of anime than console gaming though.

wmlk

FFXV won't save anything. These games take forever to release, unless you're saying this one game will save Japan for 5 years lol.

Draft

I'm sure the Japanese console Renaissance will begin once they realize 18 million westerners are totally stoked to play open world shooting games.

Road

I imagine none of this is accounting digital software sales. I imagine this would be the highest yearly for that.

Console/handheld online sales have been increasing, yes. I didn't include in the chart because there are no 2014 numbers yet.

But they're not enough to change the overall picture:

year / online / physical + online

2002 ¥5 / ¥475
2003 ¥6 / ¥437
2004 ¥7 / ¥435
2005 ¥7 / ¥462
2006 ¥9 / ¥634
2007 ¥15 / ¥703
2008 ¥17 / ¥600
2009 ¥20 / ¥563
2010 ¥22 / ¥515
2011 ¥29 / ¥483
2012 ¥34 / ¥483
2013 ¥38 / ¥447

billion yen.

2014 online sales are probably higher than 2013. But they need to be ¥78 billion to match the same ¥447 billion total of 2013, which I find unlikely.

By online I mean online transactions (downloads, subscription, microtransactions etc.)

PSP had MH and 3rd party support with S-E (FF,KH), Konami (WE and MGS), Capcom (MH already mentioned)

Vita has none of them, if you take out those brands from PSP chart you have Phantasy Star Portable (670k) then God Eater (615k)
PSO2 is a F2P game which also had a retail release on Vita, it had around 500k players (100k retail FYI); the top seller retail game is God Eater 2 (400k), so the difference between PSP and Vita is more or less the first part of my post

That's exactly what I said.

SmokyDave

It's really interesting watching the Japanese market drift away from the rest of the world. It's probably going to be the most interesting thing to watch over the next few years. I wonder what effect (if any) VR will have.

I'm sure the Japanese console Renaissance will begin once they realize 18 million westerners are totally stoked to play open world shooting games.
This sounds as sensible as 'who cares if the Japanese market crashes? Pokemon fans and people that like games about little girls?'.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Do people in Japan view the PS4 as being super expensive?
I talked with my coworkers about that and for 90% of them the main problem is the lack of games. Their attitude boils down to "I guess I'll buy it if interesting games come out".
On the other hand, those interested in Western games like Ubisoft titles, shooters etc. all own PS4s.
It reminds me the situation with the Vita when I started working here. I was really surprised that so few people owned it despite most of them liking games, but in the end the lack of titles worth getting the console for was to little. Now quite a few people own Vitas, but 3DS and smartphones rule when it comes to spending lunch breaks.

Edit:
I just remembered - Wii U has the same problem as the PS4. People who aren't super excited about Mario Kart/Smash/Mario World said that they have 0 reasons to buy the console. Same as in the West, I guess.

You can make a similar graph to the OP using mainline Final Fantasy sales in Japan.

Yeah but those FF games don't have this:

tumblr_n4c86pmjsG1tt3ziao1_500.gif

Anyway, every system bar PS4 is probably going to decline in 2015.

Software is a bit more interesting. Is YW going to pull another 6 million......no. Smash was also a big seller this year. Whose going to pick up the slack? We do have stuff like MGSV and DQH but thats not nearly enough....is there going to be another Pokemon/MH even though we had one last year. Welp I think software may be down as well.

Draft

It's really interesting watching the Japanese market drift away from the rest of the world. It's probably going to be the most interesting thing to watch over the next few years. I wonder what effect (if any) VR will have.

This sounds as sensible as 'who cares if the Japanese market crashes? Pokemon fans and people that like games about little girls?'.
Crash? Japanese devs can use their considerable talent to create DLC for Far Cry 5, Destiny 2, and Final Fantasy 16: The One More Like Skyrim.

SmokyDave

Crash? Japanese devs can use their considerable talent to create DLC for Far Cry 5, Destiny 2, and Final Fantasy 16: The One More Like Skyrim.
As long as they leave enough talent for the bi-monthly Yokai Watch installment, I doubt Japanese gamers will notice any difference.

I'll be honest, I've lost what it is that we're actually doing here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really? I would have thought XIII sold like gangbusters.

Final Fantasy VII: 3,277,776
Final Fantasy VIII: 3,501,588
Final Fantasy IX: 2,707,301
Final Fantasy X: 2,325,215
Final Fantasy XII: 2,322,541
Final Fantasy XIII: 1,905,979

Throwing in some mainline direct sequels:

Final Fantasy X-2: 1,960,937
Final Fantasy XIII-2: 906,394
Lightning Returns: 419,532

Geeze... XIII had a real chilling effect, at least judging by the sequel sales...

Well this confirm my thoughts, FF VIII the best of the series, Japan has good taste :)

lyrick

Why are people thinking the PS4 will have higher sales in 2015? Is there actually some software on the horizon that will help sales surpass the the sales of the Consoles launch?

Crosseyes

Banned

Wow, I never knew X-2 outsold the mainline title of XIII there. I wonder if that speaks more to the massive phenomenon it was closer to its height or more towards its decline now.

Why are people thinking the PS4 will have higher sales in 2015? Is there actually some software on the horizon that will help sales surpass the the sales of the Consoles launch?
Well having some games that actually appeal to a Japnese market should help. Disgaea, Bloodborne, FF Type-0, supposedly FFXV (lol), Persona 5, DQ: Heroes, Ys, God Eater 2 Burst and MGSV all should help.

01/20 Japan BioHazard HD Remaster
01/22 Japan Far Cry 4
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
01/29 Japan Bladestorm: Hyakunen Sensou & Nightmare
01/30 Japan Dying Light
02/05 Japan Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
02/11 Japan Sengoku Musou 4-II
02/12 Japan Lords of the Fallen
02/19 Japan Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
Terraria
02/20 Japan The Order: 1886
02/26 Japan Dragon Quest Heroes: Anryuu to Sekaiju no Shiro
03/05 Japan Evolve
03/12 Japan BioHazard: Revelations 2
Ryu ga Gotoku Zero: Chikai no Basho
03/19 Japan Battlefield Hardline
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
03/26 Japan Bloodborne (First Print Limited Edition)
Kagero: Mou 1-nin no Princess
Makai Senki Disgaea 5
One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 3
Sengoku Hime 5: Senkatatsu Haoh no Keifu
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus - Shoujotachi no Sentaku

shamelessly stolen

FluxWaveZ

Why are people thinking the PS4 will have higher sales in 2015? Is there actually some software on the horizon that will surpass the the sales of the Consoles launch?

PS4 exclusives like Bloodborne, Dragon Quest Heroes, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Disgaea 5 will boost sales in Japan, for sure. This doesn't include cross-platform titles that will at least have a relative effect, as well.

Let's be very optimistic and say PS4 sales double next year.

With the likely declines in everything else, that's still not really going to help.

I only said its not surprising, not that it will be solved in a year.

But, honestly, i think ps4 sales will more than double in Japan during the period of time mgs5 and ff15 are respectively released from whatever sales figure they were immediately prior to mgs5.

Also, wii u struggling and the even more atrocious sales numbers of the one compared to the 360 will continue hurting those numbers. The ps4 can triple in sales and home console adoption rates in japan will still be lower than before.

PS4 exclusives like Bloodborne, Dragon Quest Heroes, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Disgaea 5 will boost sales in Japan, for sure. This doesn't include cross-platform titles that will at least have a relative effect, as well.

Dragon Quest Heroes is also on PS3.

monpiece

Banned
One fun fact.

In 2014 (we're missing the last week of the year) software sales have dropped by 11.73%. Without Youkai Watch series, sales would have declined by around 25%.

Source: Media Create.

That is not exactly true because we will never know how many people would have bought something else if Youkai Watch had not existed. Certainly numbers would be far worse without Youkai Watch, but we can't say how big would have been the contraction if the series hadn't been created.

Hiltz

Japanese consumers didn't care much for Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii, where the game sold 161k copies in its first six months of release in 2010, so I doubt they'll care much for Xenoblade X on Wii U.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
When you have a commuter country with amazing mass transit, and a work/school schedule that keeps people away from home, collapsing console sales was inevitable. What really has come out of left field is the adoption of smartphones and tablets as a main gaming machine in lieu of a portable console.

The 3DS and PS Vita has collapsed, in comparison to its predecessors, and the future Nintendo portable will have an even harder time. Sony wont likely have a future portable console and will probably ride the PS Vita wave into the sunset, with no successor.

iOS and Android to a lesser extent is the future of Japanese gaming.

Why are people so concerned about Japan?
Japanese style games on consoles is what people are worried about losing.

Me personally if they go mobile they go mobile. They're going to do what they think is best for them. That type of shit you gotta come to terms with early especially with Japan and the games they make.

Top Bottom