• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Place S2 |OT| Well, Fork Me - Thursdays 8:30/7:30c

Brilliant season premier. I wonder if they will reset a few more times during the season?

It seems this is actually turning out to be a more personal hell for Michael himself instead. He's getting tortured just as much as any of the human characters, not to mention a few of the other demons too

sammex

Brilliant season premier. I wonder if they will reset a few more times during the season?

It seems this is actually turning out to be a more personal hell for Michael himself instead. He's getting tortured just as much as any of the human characters, not to mention a few of the other demons too

Can see the Michael torture angle but I think they're done with the resets because of what Michael's boss said. It could become old fast if they just kept resetting things now too.

Next up real Eleanor will blackmail Michael in order to get a better role again.

(oh and so glad this is back, felt like I'd been watching for 15mins then it was over)

caliph95

Can see the Michael torture angle but I think they're done with the resets because of what Michael's boss said. It could become old fast if they just kept resetting things now too.

Next up real Eleanor will blackmail Michael in order to get a better role again.

(oh and so glad this is back, felt like I'd been watching for 15mins then it was over)
The demons underling will get suspicious too if he keeps abusing this since they know he's on thin ice for fucking up

sammex

Season 1 is supposed to be airing on UK Netflix today, I'm really excited to finally watch this.

Thought I'd have a rewatch of S1 and S2 is on there too! All new episodes will be on uk Netflix on Fridays.

They're using this image on Netflix - kinda spoilery don't you think?

tumblr_own8dbuz4a1t0grs4o1_1280.jpg

dLMN8R

That's not spoilery at all. It's one of those things that will only seem to be a spoiler for people who already know what happens in the first season.

For those who have no idea, all it suggests is that Kristen Bell thinks she should be in hell while she's actually in heaven.

Wild prediction for the season:
They figure out it’s the bad place for a third time, then Michael convinces them that his experiment is better than the alternative tortures, begs them to help him avoid ‘retirement’ and they all have to pretend to be in torment to save all of their asses.

VegiHam

So I'm late on this one; but Netflix UK added all of season one and the season 2 premier today. I'd never heard of this show so I got to binge it unspoiled and it was a crazy ride so I'm hyped for the rest of it. Genius twists.

caliph95

You know hearing the introduction as well as the lies from the denizen again with the knowledge of the twist

You realize how ridiculous it all is especially with most of the philosophers except Chidi being in hell

And how too good the people are

Plus it makes no sense how the world changed because if Eleanor and makes more sense to be Micheal doing

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not had a chance to watch the first episode yet but super pumped that this is on UK Netflix now. Not only that, but they're showing the new episodes weekly! Last season was great, can't wait to get started on the second.

sammex

That's not spoilery at all. It's one of those things that will only seem to be a spoiler for people who already know what happens in the first season.

For those who have no idea, all it suggests is that Kristen Bell thinks she should be in hell while she's actually in heaven.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess cos I've just recommended this to my sister I'm all paranoid about her getting spoiled on the twist.

Funnily enough I checked this morning and they've changed the picture to just a close up of Eleanor and Michael. So no worries either way now.

Wild prediction for the season:
They figure out it’s the bad place for a third time, then Michael convinces them that his experiment is better than the alternative tortures, begs them to help him avoid ‘retirement’ and they all have to pretend to be in torment to save all of their asses.

That was my line of thinking too.

Along with the fake residents getting increasingly annoyed and blackmailing Michael. Like RealEleanor in the opening episode demanding a bigger role.

Quonny

Congrats, you just blew the second season's twist.

big ander

lmao the gym guy. Yeah my theory is
the demons will be major players this year and, now that Michael is lying to them, he's going to have to end up giving into their character demands whent hey find out. e.g. making Real Eleanor a bigger character again. And longview I think the show might become Eleanor, Chidi and the gang convincing the demons to keep up the fake good place by teaching them to prefer being these people instead of torturing. Chidi's gonna have to teach Kant to literal demons. Maybe the overall arc is about our characters essentially creating heaven.
I've not finished S1 yet and don't think I have time to finish it up before this premieres. Hope to join you guys soon.
As it has already premiered, you definitely do not have the time!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Omg this show continues to deliver. I was cracking up at all the little touches like Hawaiian pizza. Also fucking died at a very rare occurrence like someone on the internet saying you've convinced me I was wrong.

zou

wow, didn't know what to expect after the amazing season finale, but it certainly wasn't this. as someone else said, they took what most expected and crammed it into the first two episode and now they have a clean slate. love it.

Kalor

I watched the first season over the last few days since Netflix put it up and the season premier surpassed my expectations. Gym guy is the best new character.

Real Eleanor (aka Vicky) is quickly becoming my favorite. Love her resentful attitude towards the other demons and her desperate attempts to build up her character. I hope she just gets more and more outlandish with the way she rewrites her characters and inserts herself into events as the season goes on.

Also she’s the cutest <3

zou

just rewatching S1, and I love the janet reboot episode.

"she knows her a-b-janets"
"do you have a file or is it actually a cactus?"
"thanks tahani, you've been a great help."
"but don't judge me" - "that's literally the entire purpose of this exercise"

Unai

So, we know that Eleanor's case was the 000003. Mindy St. Claire's probably was the first or second case. There's probably one more to go.

I also wouldn't be shocked if everything were actually Mike's bad place instead.

Unai

There was no case, Shawn is not a judge. That was all made up.

Of course, duh! I started watching the first episode today during lunch and just couldn't stop until I saw everything a few hours ago. My mind is still blown by everything so I'm not thinking straight haha.

12 hours ago, I hadn't seen a minute of this show.

I have now finished all released episodes.

Hopefully the writers can pull it off. I really like these types of unusual stories.

Makonero

Everyone's favorite Janet, D'Arcy Carden, did an interview with GQ.

Some highlights:

Have you sat down with the writers and established a Janet rulebook at any point?

In a way. We actually didn't do it the first season, but at the beginning of the second season, before we started filming, I did have a lunch with all of the writers. It was basically them saying, "You trust us. We trust you if you make a decision about Janet."

So what are some of the decisions you make as Janet, as far as what she knows, how she acts, how she "feels"? Because your Janet feels like a very informed performance.

The funny thing is that in the beginning, it didn't feel like that, the first few episodes. Quickly I was like, "Janet wouldn't do that." Again, these writers are amazing. Rarely, if ever, would it be in the script where I'd say, "Oh, Janet wouldn't say that." I mean rarely. Maybe once or twice. I would read a line and be like, "Um, I don't know if Janet would say that." We'd do it at the read through and then the next day, we'd have a different script and it would be gone. They know. We share a brain.

When she's in regular Janet mode, she is not judgmental. She is the most positive, always looking at the glass half full. Unflappable. Whatever it is, it's deep within me and I don't know why. I think it's because the writing is so strong. They get it. I imagine that the work that these writers and Mike put into these scripts is ten times what a normal great show would do. I imagine it makes them crazy. I wonder if it's even fun. It seems very hard.

Knowing that Janet is this informational system who knows all, how do you play her without human emotions without coming off as a Dwight Schrute-ian know-it-all?

I think early on there was a tendency for me to do the know-it-all. I could feel myself going to "annoying corrector," which just didn't feel right. And I knew Mike wasn't wanting to go in that direction. So we just kept saying, "Positive, no judgment." If I would do a take that was a little on the judgmental side, he knew exactly what to say to me to get me back to positive, happy, easy-going Janet.

And another, very slightly spoilery thing:

And the fun thing with Season Two, she does get to have more emotions. A lot more. If I knew a script was coming that night, I would cancel plans. The second it would get there, I would want to read it and re-read it. It was the highlight of my week, always.

*walks in with eyes covered*

So is there no way to watch the extended cut S1 episodes? Netflix has the standard 22 across the board, and neither Hulu nor NBC itself seem to have any of season 1 available.

Edit: Caught up. This is so good. I’m always on board with Schur’s sense of humor, but the structure of this show is what has me particularly excited, almost like it’s a comedy Lost or something. There are so many places they could go with all this. My only concern is that it’s possibly going a little too fast? (Which feels like an insane complaint considering it’s a network show and any forward movement is normally a miracle.)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*walks in with eyes covered*

So is there no way to watch the extended cut S1 episodes? Netflix has the standard 22 across the board, and neither Hulu nor NBC itself seem to have any of season 1 available.

Edit: Caught up. This is so good. I’m always on board with Schur’s sense of humor, but the structure of this show is what has me particularly excited, almost like it’s a comedy Lost or something. There are so many places they could go with all this. My only concern is that it’s possibly going a little too fast? (Which feels like an insane complaint considering it’s a network show and any forward movement is normally a miracle.)

If you're okay with DVDs, the Season 1 set will have the extended episodes.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-good-place-season-one?product_id=6391

Kinda sucks they're only doing a DVD release right now, but the set is less than $20 pretty much everywhere. Think I saw it on Amazon for like $13.

Kalor

I wonder how long they can keep this show going. I love the heavily serialized nature but I can't see it lasting for four or five seasons.

I'd be surprised if it went that long. Although maybe the end of this season will change the dynamic again like with the first season.

W-00

I wonder how long they can keep this show going. I love the heavily serialized nature but I can't see it lasting for four or five seasons.

This is my favorite show in a long time, but I sincerely hope that they don't try to stretch is past three seasons. The premise just doesn't seem sustainable. Maybe they could pull the
"It's really to torture Michael"
twist at the end of this season, but where do they go from there?

This is my favorite show in a long time, but I sincerely hope that they don't try to stretch is past three seasons. The premise just doesn't seem sustainable. Maybe they could pull the
"It's really to torture Michael"
twist at the end of this season, but where do they go from there?
I kind of agree here but if they are careful they can slowly expand things. I trust them so far.

Based on very little, I imagine The Good Place running for 3 seasons or something like that. Schur said that they've started breaking some S3 ideas as they're writing S2, just to make sure they know where they're going. It is a show that can be reinvented seasonally if need be, but I'm not sure they'll get the ratings to be renewed indefinitely. Might be best if they have a finite end point in mind and work towards that with the blessing of the network.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Binged season 1 and really liked it. Season 2 opened super strong aswell, really glad this is added to Netflix 1 day after it airs in the states :D

Top Bottom