• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

meep!

Neo Member
So I bought Arma 2 off steam now that its 20% off to try out DayZ.
I really like the concept for the game and it's pretty fun to play, but those animations on the zombies running after you make it feel like a cartoon rather than a scary zombie running after you. It's pretty annoying they slow down and suddenly get this uber-sprint and are right behind you in 1 second. It looks ridiculous and is rather annoying. I really hope those things will get better in future patches,

I went ahead and picked this up on steam, and think I have everything setup, but everytime I try to join the GAF server, it just ends up on a plain black green with a full beige bar that says "loading" underneath and stays there forever. Cant get past that.

The respawn button really needs an "are you sure" prompt. sigh...

Tell me about it. Happened to me once, I was gonna click options but just then it lagged a little and my mouse went to the respawn button instead.

I don't feel safe in the menu cause there's basically a kill button there xD

So, in most games, "drop down ladder" means slide down.

Apparently not in Dayz.

Hehe - did the same once! Dayz teaches through death I suppose :D

In other news I managed to get my blood up after a long session of looking for animals, then raiding Elektro, getting attacked - needing to start the great blood search all over again.

Now at 12,000 thanks to a lovely sheep and cow - with some meat packed away :)

Was wanting some info though - I just got a tent and don't want to bug out and lose it or something. But wheres it possible to set it up? I know out in the open - but what about indoors(?) on roofs (?) - just from those in the know. (Cherno gaffers will likely know :) )

Other than that I've got everything I need, I just want a tent as a reference point; so am on the way forward if I do die again (when I do die lol)

TommyT

have i broken dayz or something because its not letting me join any servers.

Yup. Installed and updated and after about 30 minutes of trying I haven't gotten anywhere past the "male/female" choice yet. Always freezes when going into a game or I'm running a difference version than every other server apparently.

Yeah youll need to downgrade the beta patch. Just got into your arma 2 arrowhead folder and look for The expansion folder. Then Delete the Beta folder and reinstall. Super simple
Trying to install beta patch 94876, but it keep says invalid cd key.

What's the problem?

You know oddly it said that for me. Are you running the patch out of the rar file(with out extracting it first?) Thats what I did but it still worked regardless.
Yup, it's outside the rar file.

Did everything you told me to, I still can't join gaf server. There is a red x mark.

ZenVolta

Huh, well thats bit of a sticky widget.

Since it worked for me. Make sure the Beta folder is gone. Open the rar file(double click). And just run the exe without extracting it first. It should still say bad CD Key but dont click it away just give it a second. Thats exactly what I did.

If all else fails. Load up Arma 2 and play around in the armory. Its really fun to fly the jets and helis.

Huh, well thats bit of a sticky widget.

Since it worked for me. Make sure the Beta folder is gone. Open the rar file(double click). And just run the exe without extracting it first. It should still say bad CD Key but dont click it away just give it a second. Thats exactly what I did.

If all else fails. Load up Arma 2 and play around in the armory. Its really fun to fly the jets and helis.
Fail. I kept launching the game through steam lol. I finally get it to work by launching the game through beta patch file.

Another question, how do you run the game on full screen, instead of window screen?

Is launching the game through the beta patch only way to play on gaf server?

TommyT

NVM got it going... spawned and ran around a bit. Killed 2 zombies then died as I was only using a crowbar. Found a lot of cool stuff, esp ammo! Just no gun :(

ZenVolta

Fail. I kept launching the game through steam lol. I finally get it to work by launching the game through beta patch file.

Another question, how do you run the game on full screen, instead of window screen?

Is launching the beta patch only way to play on gaf server?

Haha, Im so sorry bro. Im running this with Arma 2 free. As such I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the game to work right. I didnt think you were trying to run through the steam version(1.60)

To answer your question though. You CAN make it work through steam. But youll have to find a working guide for you. I couldnt get it to work for a long time. So I just add the exe to my steam list and play it that way.

To avoid any more weirdness you can try sixlauncher others seem to like it. Although iv used it once and thought it sucked but thats just me

Haha, Im so sorry bro. Im running this with Arma 2 free. As such I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the game to work right. I didnt think you were trying to run through the steam version(1.60)

To answer your question though. You CAN make it work through steam. But youll have to find a working guide for you. I couldnt get it to work for a long time. So I just add the exe to my steam list and play it that way.

To avoid any more weirdness you can try sixlauncher others seem to like it. Although iv used it once and thought it sucked but thats just me
Fuck, now I cant join the server again... T_T

It keep says "you cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted. chernarus, dayz_code, dayz_weapons, dayz_equip, dayz_vehicles"

But I already have the dayz files in the directory.

just cant get into it, I liked the idea but arma 2 is janky as fuck in about every way possible, and I cant get over that. I hope he does his own version someday or arma 3 is actually polished.

Orenhy

Neo Member
Yesterday me and a friend were sharing our awesome loot on top of a tower, when suddenly we and almost all people in our server instantly died
Boo.

JambiBum

Went to play today, and instead of spawning at the hospital like I where I did before, I spawned on the coast in the middle of nowhere. Found a small town near me, went to read the sign to see where I was but I got attacked by zombies. While I was killing them off some random fucker murdered me :(. I had pretty good loot too. Why did it spawn me away from the hospital?! Boooooo.

Mirk

So whats the reason the time is always messed up on the gaf server? I would like to play
during night sometimes but it never seems to get dark. I do know the server restarts messes
it up sometimes. There will be times thou that my watch says 8pm so I'll log for an hour or two
and when I come back it will say 6:45pm. :/

ZenVolta

Yesterday me and a friend were sharing our awesome loot on top of a tower, when suddenly we and almost all people in our server instantly died
Boo.

I had a hacker warp right next to me put a shot in my head and "drag" me to the top of the skybox and drop me. Was pretty shitty but nice view

Irish

So whats the reason the time is always messed up on the gaf server? I would like to play
during night sometimes but it never seems to get dark. I do know the server restarts messes
it up sometimes. There will be times thou that my watch says 8pm so I'll log for an hour or two
and when I come back it will say 6:45pm. :/

Night time on the server usually occurs during the day in the US because playing at night is pretty shitty for the most part.

Picked this up today.

So far, a LOT of running! First Zombie spots me, and its all downhill from there. Did get a shotgun and some nice stuff on my first go. Then... I learned the hard way they can open doors. Went to go to the restroom and get a snack and drink, came back to a dead body.

After that, been having trouble to get it to go again, a lot of getting stuck on loading, and a lot of "waiting to create a character" screens. Got another round going, got to a town, and as soon as I scaled one of the building to get a lay of the land, a sniper drilled me.

All and all, its very neat, having fun, but not sure what to do. Would also love to someone meet someone to travel around with.

After getting killed and starting afresh in the black of night, I came across a barn where I could see a flashlight and a couple of occupants.

They seemed to be new starters - a single shotgun between them, basic packs - I figured perhaps we could team up.

Still wary of them I crawled up to the building and crouched by a window they were stood next to, I opened the Mic channel and said 'Hey guys, can we be cool?' - in what I assume was blind terror the man turned, shot his friend point blank and sprinted out of the barn.

This game is incredible.

TommyT

I really want to enjoy this game, however after going through buildings in a town, being found in the woods by zombies which chased me through another town, finally losing them, and going back to the town to find supplies (which resulted in again - nothing)... I don't know if I can. All that was about an hour to the point where I just got tired of running and let myself die.

Irish

Eh, if you can't take a little bit of running, then this is most definitely not for you. Running around is 95% of what DayZ is. Of course, that isn't much of a bad thing. You would be much wiser than myself.

TommyT

Eh, if you can't take a little bit of running, then this is most definitely not for you. Running around is 95% of what DayZ is. Of course, that isn't much of a bad thing. You would be much wiser than myself.

No incentive to run around to lose the zombies if I have nothing on my character to lose. I'd love to actually find supplies (see: weapon) and have a reason to run away and 'survive'.

Ceebs

Picked this up today.

So far, a LOT of running! First Zombie spots me, and its all downhill from there. Did get a shotgun and some nice stuff on my first go. Then... I learned the hard way they can open doors. Went to go to the restroom and get a snack and drink, came back to a dead body.

After that, been having trouble to get it to go again, a lot of getting stuck on loading, and a lot of "waiting to create a character" screens. Got another round going, got to a town, and as soon as I scaled one of the building to get a lay of the land, a sniper drilled me.

All and all, its very neat, having fun, but not sure what to do. Would also love to someone meet someone to travel around with.

My usual method for a new character is to keep respawning until I am near Elektro. Go into the supermarket and then either 2 story house across the street or the 3 story (I guess it is the school?). From there I high tail it out of town. I may hit up the power plant if there are not a ton of people on the server on my way out. Then head north into the forests hitting up places where whatever I may be missing could spawn (residential mainly since I am usually short matches or a water bottle or a barn if I still need a hatchet)

From there I just pick a spot in the north and start making my way there hitting up deer stands along the way. By the time I reach the far north I am pretty stocked up on whatever I may need.

Realyn

Bought the Steam bundle thingy. Run both games once, installed the beta patch, installed the anti cheat thing, installed six launcher and getting waiting for char creation ... what have I done wrong ? ><

Ceebs

Bought the Steam bundle thingy. Run both games once, installed the beta patch, installed the anti cheat thing, installed six launcher and getting waiting for char creation ... what have I done wrong ? ><

Nothing. Try a different server, or try back later. That tends to happen after updates or when the upset Russians are DDOSing the main server.

Realyn

Meh, that sucks :/. Find some google hits about ddos'ing too. Does this happen alot?
Kinda sucks since some friends of mine are on mumble waiting for me to stream :/. Hope it works soon. Game sounds very funny, IF(!) they don't fuck up and add stuff like villages for survivors and god knows what. Like survival MC could have been ...

after dying yesterday from a hyper-strength zombie that downed me and left me unconscious so the infected could drain my 9k of blood before I went back on my feet... (goddamn, i had a silenced mp5 and lots of goodies)... i finally updated.

And since I updated to 1.7.2 and 1.7.2.3 im getting an error that doesnt even let me get into the server lobby (not the browser, the lobby inside a server)

"addon 'dayz_anim' requires addon 'camisc_fix_a2free' "

I have combined ops, so I dont know what's the problem and there's only one entry about it on the forums... without any solution.

AHvUZ.jpg

The latest Adventure... Being in Elektro when basically unarmed is nerve racking.

TommyT

I've been running in a huge open grass land for 15 min with NOTHING in sight... I spawned here. Is this normal?

edit: just respawned which kills yourself apparently and got myself out of it. After about 3 hours of playing no gun or anything really to use as a weapon so overall I'm quite disappointed with the game. Got this on suggestions of friends, so hopefully it will be somewhat better whenever they're on.

I've been running in a huge open grass land for 15 min with NOTHING in sight... I spawned here. Is this normal?

edit: just respawned which kills yourself apparently and got myself out of it. After about 3 hours of playing no gun or anything really to use as a weapon so overall I'm quite disappointed with the game. Got this on suggestions of friends, so hopefully it will be somewhat better whenever they're on.

You spawned in the debug forest, which was supposed to be fixed.
Im thinking about taking a serious break. I ran to Berizino yesterday, and came up on some good loot. I hop on today looking forward to playing with my new weapons and i spawn in Balota. WTF!? i didn't die.
I'm slowly starting to hate this alpha shit. Thinking about holding out for ARMA III.

Top Bottom