• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massicot

Loving the new map so far. It seems very well crafted. Honeymoon period but far more interesting than the last 2 so far.

You can get 100 of the Jade shards from the PVP track if you're impatient and have potions saved up.

Wanderer5

Well got that fight over with. Brought in some healing food, repair canisters, and made some tweaks to my engi, but it was still not fun. The fight gets so chaotic with AoE galore, and other enemies spawning in, with all of this in a small damn room. You can get nailed down so hard it is ridiculous even when you are trying to come back in if you died.

Ugh anyway some story thoughts.

Despite some annoyances, I really digged the last instance in regards to returning to the manor, and coming in where the old dungeon ended. It is also pretty hilarious that the hidden rooms with all the faces in queensdale became an actual thing.XD

It was nice seeing Demmi again, with mentions of Tybalt, only for her to die at the end :|, but damn did it hit me when her last words were that Tybalt came and found her.

So Xera's plan failed afterall. Will be interesting regarding this "Lazarus."

Massicot

I'm normally not one to collect minis
unless they give ap
but I might have to have this one.

xFICxfY.png

Wanderer5

So what is the word on the new wing? Saw stuff on the first three bosses mostly, and I dig Samarog's design (along with his staff). The second boss looks quite interesting too.

Massicot

So what is the word on the new wing? Saw stuff on the first three bosses mostly, and I dig Samarog's design (along with his staff). The second boss looks quite interesting too.

Well if you've watched videos you're probably up to speed.

The first boss is pretty standard. Lots of similar mechanics to old bosses in different ways. It's a tricky fight but vanilla if that makes sense. Avoid this attack. Stand here at this time. Etc. Aoe markers and mechanics you've seen before. He's a really nice GW1 callback. The second boss is more of a puzzle.

Samarog is awesome. What a unique boss. The main thing about him from what I could tell today is that if the players do their job, there is very little damage pressure on the team, You do not need magi druids here. Positioning is super important. It's very much like a Dark Souls boss in how you fight him really. Maybe that doesn't make sense in text but it should in practice. His split phase is pretty different and not something similar to anything else in the game that I can think of right now. The fourth boss I haven't seen go down yet. It seems really tricky. Lots of split party mechanics. There's not a lot of fat on this raid. 4 bosses with very little in between them, I don't imagine people are going to be cutting corners here with pre-clears or skips like they do in the spirit vale forest or twisted castle.

I've managed to avoid watching the end raid cinematic beforehand so far, but I'll probably get sufficiently bored at work tomorrow.

Edit: Reading through this post again it's pretty uselessly vague but I didn't want to spoil anything.

Edit2: This new leather farm is pretty boring but at least prices should come down.

Morokh

This episode was great overall, lots of little throwbacks at vanilla GW2, be it in the story or in the new zone, only thing I didn't like is the last boss-fight, way too chaotic to be enjoyable.
They should have stuck with the main mechanic and make it deadlier if you mess-up instead of crowding the fight with adds.

Interesting things happening left and right about many characters, and I especially appreciated that the PC starts to doubt his leadership skills, cause let's face it the way he was written so far made him approach 'worse than trahearne status' real fast.

What's the leather farm everyone is talking about ?

Massicot

This episode was great overall, lots of little throwbacks at vanilla GW2, be it in the story or in the new zone, only thing I didn't like is the last boss-fight, way too chaotic to be enjoyable.
They should have stuck with the main mechanic and make it deadlier if you mess-up instead of crowding the fight with adds.

Interesting things happening left and right about many characters, and I especially appreciated that the PC starts to doubt his leadership skills, cause let's face it the way he was written so far made him approach 'worse than trahearne status' real fast.

What's the leather farm everyone is talking about ?

The leather farm is the upper area of the zone where centaurs are cranked up to 11. You get salvagable leather items from chests and mobs. There were already a bunch of tags advertising in LFG last night.

The last boss fight was pretty hectic but it was pretty easy to rally off an add when I went down. So maybe that chaos is design intent there, but yeah it's never really fun to fight in a cramped low-ceiling room. There's a pretty long reddit thread about the fight, mostly negative. Though I know someone who supposedly was stuck on it for an hour so maybe I got lucky.

The leather farm is the upper area of the zone where centaurs are cranked up to 11. You get salvagable leather items from chests and mobs. There were already a bunch of tags advertising in LFG last night.

The last boss fight was pretty hectic but it was pretty easy to rally off an add when I went down. So maybe that chaos is design intent there, but yeah it's never really fun to fight in a cramped low-ceiling room. There's a pretty long reddit thread about the fight, mostly negative. Though I know someone who supposedly was stuck on it for an hour so maybe I got lucky.

Those Centaurs... oh my god.

I was gunning for map completion, because it is my favorite thing to do, and i need to get up that canyon of death to get to those POI's. I have no idea how you're supposed to manage that. My group had split, as we had originally wanted to go through the storyline stuff, but that fell apart as soon as we hit Lake Doric and were assaulted by so many things to do.

So... many... things.

I love it. I really enjoy all the running around, and it legit feels like a crazy disorganized War Zone.

Side note, if you haven't snagged a Peach yet... get the damn Peach.

Also crazy basement. Crazy basement was the highlight of my night. Might as well call it Sen's Fortress.

Wanderer5

Bunch of changes to the last fight lol (last five bulletins). I am just glad that they at least replaced the jade enemies honestly.:p

Anyway will probably end up checking out the new wing soon this evening, so shall see how it goes if so.

Edit: Oh wait the jade armor might still be there, damnnit, but well the fight should be more bearable anyway.

Sonicbug

Bunch of changes to the last fight lol (last five bulletins). I am just glad that they at least replaced the jade enemies honestly.:p

Anyway will probably end up checking out the new wing soon this evening, so shall see how it goes if so.

Edit: Oh wait the jade armor might still be there, damnnit, but well the fight should be more bearable anyway.

When that fight first started I was thinking "oh, this isn't so bad..." and then they just hammered the shit outta you.

(Speaking of shit..... there's a guy near the logging camp whose speech text does not match the words coming out of his mouth... considering what he actually says is "I'm getting too old for this shit." Please tell me someone else heard that guy.)

Fishious

I was in the middle of that story step when I got the patch notification so I wound up doing the boss fight before any of those changes. After the initial shock of knockbacks, aoes, and the spinning room I actually didn't have much trouble with the fight, though I was on my reaper so I had a lot of extra HP leeway most classes don't have.

The patch note that stuck out to me was: Removed a conversation on an NPC near the Temple of the Six. I think I know what NPC they're talking about because I sent in a bug report about it yesterday. Now I'm going to have to go back and check to see if I'm right. If so, weird that they'd remove it rather than fix the dialogue.

Morokh

Ugh the sharpshooters were my biggest problem during that fight had to respawn like 5 times to get them down cause they focused me every time and got me down in like 3 seconds ... and now there's more ?

Seriously the only way to keep that fight a challenge and just make it less chaotic would have been to get rid of the adds and just make the boss deadlier should you mess-up one of his queues, but they went the complete opposite way.

Indignate

Do people still not treat the special action as an important bind? So many people complaining about not having enough time to hit it during the boss fight cuz they either had to move their mouse down to it or hit a key that was on the opposite of their keyboard or something.

I thought the final boss was hard but fair in its difficulty. But then again I main Necro and that might be the easiest PvE class.

Dizzy-4U

Sorry for the noob question but I fought my first world boss yesterday. It was that alien looking monster in the swamps. We killled him and got a pretty nice chest. About 3 hours later I log in again and he pops up but this time I didn't get the chest.

Is there like a cap per day or week on how many times he drops the chest?

spiritfox

Sorry for the noob question but I fought my first world boss yesterday. It was that alien looking monster in the swamps. We killled him and got a pretty nice chest. About 3 hours later I log in again and he pops up but this time I didn't get the chest.

Is there like a cap per day or week on how many times he drops the chest?

Once per day.

Once per day.

Unless they changed it in the last few months i haven't been playing..

The mini chest that pops up on the side of your screen is ONCE/DAY

The big Chest from the boss once/day per character, you can loot the big chest again on another character that defeats the boss..

Wanderer5

Just FYI, babysitting my niblings all weekend so I likely can't run missions tomorrow.
puzzle in the new zone? :)

Yeah at Noran’s Homestead in the new map. In the basement there is a secret entrance to it. Make sure you get the key (that you can get daily) from the heart vendor there too.

Yeah at Noran’s Homestead in the new map. In the basement there is a secret entrance to it. Make sure you get the key (that you can get daily) from the heart vendor there too.

PSA: can't enter unless we hold the out post....
If the Heart NPC is downstairs find a new map...or complete the event to open it up..

Fishious

PSA: can't enter unless we hold the out post....
If the Heart NPC is downstairs find a new map...or complete the event to open it up..

Really? I went there once when it was under Mantle control and it let me talk to Noran by using the door. I went through the dialogue and he teleported me into the basement, I bought the key off him, then went through the jumping puzzle.

Enjoyed this episode a lot:) There is something nostalgic about The White Mantle. It was of the things I remember most vividly from the GW1 e3 2004 Beta. You started out in old Lions Arch and helped the Mantle until they turned on you.

Massicot

I was bored so I replayed though a certain Guild Wars 1 Bonus Mission that involves the story of the new Raid. Trying to be vague in case of spoilers for the raid. I'm talking about
Saul's Story: The Rise of the White Mantle.

Its really neat to play through this and then watch the Raid cinematic from this week. It's crazy that a weird half-answered set of questions about what happened to
Saul
is finally getting light shed on it a decade later. I really hope they pull more from GW lore, there's so much untapped. But I know they can only do so much so fast.

The GW1 mission itself unfortunately is kinda a snooze. It's a stealth mission followed by a wave based encounter. Very inspired. But initially as a preorder bonus to Eye of the North (iirc), I guess it's about what to expect. The coolest thing? :
Saul
has skills on his bar in the mission that he still uses to help you on the last fight of the Raid: the healy banner and movement shout . It's a really tidy call back that I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't go back to GW1. Really cool! I just wish more of the dialogue was voiced.

Don't watch the video if you don't want to be tangentially spoiled specifically about the Bastion of the Penitent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g59UW2Y7oKU

Even the cutscenes are consistent:

http://i.imgur.com/9aymYEw.jpg

You guys think there's any chance the original GW will go on sale anytime soon? I have been keeping an eye on it since before Christmas, but still nothing.

Wanderer5

So I saw through the first two bosses of the new wing. The first boss was okay, but man was the second one a pretty cool puzzle like fight. Didn't take long to nail down the mechanics and get things quite smoothly, but it is a very interesting and nicely done fight nonetheless.

And yeah there doesn't seem that much in-between fights, just some searching for items, but I think that is fine. Samarog has a pretty cool intro too.

Indignate

Is this still an issue? If I hold 1 instead of left click, I shouldn't be worry, right?

I don't believe this is at all an issue anymore. The attack speed increase is quite noticeable and I hold left click on my Rev all the time.

EDIT: Also this:

Update - July 26, 2016
Fixed a bug in which holding down the left mouse button to activate weapon skill 1 would sometimes result in the skill activating less frequently than intended in action-camera mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, I conked out last night. I will pop on at 3 today to do some missions if anyone is interested (roughly an hour from now)!

Ascended Viper's trinket set done in one weekend thanks to Winterberry Farm.. 10 characters.. I don't want to see Bitterfrost again..lol

Dizzy-4U

Fought the running man from REZ yesterday.

Wc4UsGx.jpg

Anyways, it was a lot of fun seeing 200 players chasing this dude across half the map. I know this is very old news to you guys but as a new player I found it very entertaining.

Fought the running man from REZ yesterday.

Wc4UsGx.jpg

Anyways, it was a lot of fun seeing 200 players chasing this dude across half the map. I know this is very old news to you guys but as a new player I found it very entertaining.
We (as in nearly the entire map) failed to kill him, and he exploded us into oblivion. The 2nd most casualties I have seen, with the most casualties being when someone failed to defend one of the batteries during a Teq fight.

Massicot

I love how Maul is seemingly buffed every update to try to validate GS for rangers.

GotL topping out at 10% seems like the biggest change to my classes. Still poking through the changes, however.

Edit: I'm surprised Guardian GS got so much love. I'm not sure why it was a focus. It was already in an okay place imo.

Wanderer5

Finished this update's current event and it is really good.

I am glad Trahearne got more closure after his death, and it was pretty cool returning to the Artesian Waters in particular where you fight you.XD Plus there some cool weapon skins to get out from it (I went to get the GS).

Massicot

Most all of the current events have been...well...unspectacular, but this one is pretty nice. And the rewards are good. Nice little freebie update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom