• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Tanks |OT| Big guns and penetration

hom3land

just a heads up. The launcher isn't working. It gets stuck, but if you load right from the application you can get in no problem.

I'm kinda ticked off at the moment. We were just doing the blitz's and my power cut out right before we went into battle. It was against the only team we were concerned about too. So we picked up a loss there. Placed second still, but damn.

Just had two monster games. Had two back to back Crucial Contributions.

Got Pool's Medal (and there's an event for this going on now too!), Top Gun, Crucial Contribution, and Sniper.

5ZPmcg1.jpg

EM6IYWp.jpg

...and this was the game right before it, I got carried a bit this time:

SsXrWzE.jpg

Hellix

Nice, I never got a Pool's Medal. I almost had a monster game in my SU-100Y today. I was the last man standing on my team against six enemy tanks. I killed all five in one shot, but the Jackson had full health so I couldn't seal the win. Got a top gun in a loss at the least.

antonz

Got my T95 tonight. Can already tell its so much better than the T28. Only have the 120 on it but the T95 still intimidates the shit out of people.

Last game in fishermans bay I held off 7 Heavies afraid to push for 4 minutes until one of them finally realized they could go around on the map and they used the number game to overwhelm me.

Hellix

I always wanted the T95, but I think I am gonna stop at T25/2. I will just stick to the Russian TD line. I got the ISU-152 researched but I am waiting until I get the credits to buy it and free exp the BL-10 right away.

antonz

I always wanted the T95, but I think I am gonna stop at T25/2. I will just stick to the Russian TD line. I got the ISU-152 researched but I am waiting until I get the credits to buy it and free exp the BL-10 right away.

Yeah I really wanted to go for the lolcannon British Tier X TD but god that line is so painful go through like 4 T28 speed TDs to get to the 183mm. The amount of crying from that thing 1 shotting is hilarious though

Hellix

I went through the Churchill GC to research the AT-7, but I would have to research 3 guns on it because I didn't go through the TD line normally. So... yeah, think I gave up on that too. The Tortoise looks neat though.

Anton668

8.7 Update Arrives Monday July 29

The 8.7 Update is nearly here! North American players will be able to enjoy all of the latest vehicles and features on Monday, July 29th. Maintenance and server downtimes will be posted on Sunday. In addition, thank you to everyone who took the time to participate in the 8.7 Public Test!

Update 8.7 introduces a new branch of British self-propelled guns, including the iconic Sexton, Bishop, and the Crusader just to name a few. A number of post-World War II prototypes take their place in the middle tiers, while the intimidating Conqueror Gun Carriage becomes the tier X arty.

This update also introduces the tier VI MT-25; it's strengths are in its horse power and armor for its tier and classification. An insightful review of the tank can be found in the table of contents.

Scirrocco

The T-50 is pretty useless now. A tank with great speed and acceleration nerfed to merely okay, which considering its gun and armor are terrible, makes the tank pretty bad. And after the 8.6 accuracy buff made it harder to miss, its pretty much a free kill now unless you're passive scouting.

Hellix

The T-50 is pretty useless now. A tank with great speed and acceleration nerfed to merely okay, which considering its gun and armor are terrible, makes the tank pretty bad. And after the 8.6 accuracy buff made it harder to miss, its pretty much a free kill now unless you're passive scouting.

Well they nerfed the VK2801 and the lights that came before it, so it was only a matter of time that the T-50 would get nerfed. I don't recall if the Chaffee did yet, but it would be next if it didn't.

I went through the Churchill GC to research the AT-7, but I would have to research 3 guns on it because I didn't go through the TD line normally. So... yeah, think I gave up on that too. The Tortoise looks neat though.

I had quite a bit of fun in the Churchull GC. Typical glass cannon, the 32-pdr is a beast of a gun. It really depends on the team though, if you get spotted without support you don't last long.

zugzug

yeah so with 8.7 I had both the t-50 and t-50-2 before right and sold them both. With 8.7 they moved where the t-50-2 use to be in the tech tree and replaced with with that m24 ok, but then they put another tank that comes after the t-50 and did not give me the EXP of owning it already. They want me to rebuy the t-50 and gain 14,000exp so I can buy that next tank after the t-50 I forget its name atm. Or use my already earned saved xp.

yeah not going to happen.

Anton668

Month long Anniversary Missions

Mission Number 1
Objective: Destroy 30 enemy vehicles over the course of one day using a tier IV or higher vehicle

Once Per Day Reward: 300,000

Mission Number 2
Objective: Obtain any of the following medals during a match

Tamada Yoshio
Nikols
Lehveslaiho
Radley-Walters

Repeatable Reward: x5 Crew XP for the match

Mission Number 3
Objective: Earn 50,000 XP over the course of one day

Once Per Day Reward: One day of Premium

should be rich by end of month! lol

if6Wal1zgZaqY.png

PBalfredo

vEZctrR.jpg

The 30 kills daily mission + LTPs everywhere + my beloved B2 Bis = easy money

Edit: Just realized it says Premium applies to the 300,000 bonus. Wow! I might go gets a few days of premium to really cash in.

Anton668

yeah, really wasnt all that difficult, especially if you stay in that "sweet spot". Pretty much stayed Tier 5 with a few tier 4 & 6 to mix it up.

had a interesting game in my KV-1S while doing it. Got taken down to 2 HP early. And then proceeded to get 5 kills and do over 2000 damage. lol

ibnNQUifR0fpf4.png

PBalfredo

Finally bought my M26 Pershing with my bonus money.

A few questions about training.

lnD42tx.png

If I take this commander and select to Drop the Jack of All Trades skill he's learning, then select to have him learn Sixth Sense, does Sixth Sense pick up where Jack of All Trades left off, or does it start again from zero?

When I have crew from a previous vehicle put on a new one without retraining, they get that crew skill penalty. Does that penalty eventually go away by with experience, or do I have to retrain to get them back up to 100%?

Anton668

when you drop a crew skill and select a new one, new new one picks up where you were minus whatever % penalty depending on how much you spent. 80% - Free/90% - 20000cr/100% - 200 Gold of prior skill %

you untrained crew will learn NOTHING until you either pick free crew training or pay for the higher tiers training

except you can move a crew from a non prem to a prem without retraining. and then move them back to their original tank with no problems

ETA: also, I think untrained crew operates at -20% of their listed percentage or just straight 50% crew. Id have to look it up.....

Lack of Competence
A crew member is always trained for a specific vehicle. Should a crewman operate a vehicle that he is not trained for, he may receive a penalty to his training level. This is indicated by the training level being colored red in the garage screen. A penalty received for the following situations:
If a crew member is in a vehicle of the same class, and the vehicle is a premium vehicle, there is no penalty.
If a crew member is in a vehicle of the same class, and the vehicle is not a premium vehicle, he will take a 25% penalty to his current training level. So, for example, 80% base training level will be reduced to 60%, or 100% base training level will be reduced to 75%.
If a crew member is in a vehicle of a different class, and the vehicle is a premium vehicle, he will also take a 25% penalty to his current training level.
If a crew member is in a vehicle of a different class, and the vehicle is not a premium vehicle, he will take a 50% penalty to his current training level. So, for example, an 80% crew will be reduced to 40% base training level, while a 100% crew will reduced to 50% base training level.
Experience gain for each crew member is also reduced under these conditions.

also found this...

Dropping Skills and Perks
You can reset all of a crewman's learned skills and perks. This allows you to change your crew member's skills or perks without having to start all over with a new recruit. There are three options available:
If done for free, it results in the loss of 20% of the crewman's total skill/perk experience points.
If done for credits, it results in the loss of 10% of the crewman's total skill/perk experience points.
For 200 Gold, it results in no loss of experience.
Since the first two options are based on total skill/perk experience points, the more skills/perks a crewman has, the more expensive (in terms of experience points) they become.
However, these options only reduce a crewman's skill/perk experience points, and don't take his role experience points into consideration. For example, if you have a crewman who just reached 100% in his role, and you choose a skill (which has 0% training level), and then immediately decide to change it, then choosing the free option won't actually cost you any experience.
Since each additional percentage point requires more experience than the one before, you can't simply take 10/20% off of the displayed training level percentage. Instead you have to determine the crewman's skill/perk experience points (calculated from the chart below), and take 10/20% off of that. Then you can use the number of skill/perk experience points remaining to determine what the skill/perk's training level will be after the reduction.
For example, if you have a crewman with a 50% training level in his first skill/perk, and drop his skill/perk with the free option (a 20% reduction), you don't take 20% off of 50%. If you did, you'd get 40%, which would be wrong. You actually get 45%. It takes 19,097 experience points to reach a 50% training level. Reduce that by 20% and you have 15,227 experience points remaining. 15,227 experience points are enough for a 45% training level. Likewise a crewman with 100% in his first skill/perk and 80% training level in his second skill/perk (which comes to 374,765 experience points) will end up at 100% and 67% with the 298,662 experience points remaining, not 100% and 44%.
Given the high cost (in experience, credits, or gold) it's clearly in your best interest to choose skills and perks carefully in the first place.
If retraining a crew member from another vehicle resulted in his training level dropping below 100% for his role, then subsequently resetting his Skills and Perks will automatically assign all free experience to the role's training level until it reaches 100% again. Any experience left over can then be reassigned to Skills or Perks of your choice.

Hellix

I don't play that much daily as I use to, so destroying 30 enemy tanks may be a bit hard for me. Though I could just use SU-100Y exclusively to one shot a bunch of tanks and get that money fast.

Anton668

oh, one more thing about dropping skills and picking new...

when you click drop, it brings you to a window with your choices on how much it costs. each selection will show you what you end up with if you chose it.

example - my PZ 1 C commander has 100% role and 15% cammo. if I select the 90% option, I would end up wit 100% role and 14% in whatever skill I chose to relpace cammo with.

In my AT 7, if I took my loader - 100% role/100% repair/39% BIA and selected the 90% option, id be left with 100% role and 99% whichever skill I choose

Anton668

between 300000 per day for 30 kills, 75000 for killing 10 TDs multiple times a day, the credit increase for select TD's, and the 3 days premium.... should be a hella profitable weekend!

vCd1ima.jpg

Anton668

yeah, damage gets you the most exp/cash. kills only net you a slight bonus.

http://wiki.worldoftanks.eu/Battle_Mechanics#Experience_and_Credits

Damaging enemies you are spotting yourself/Damaging enemies that are not lit up at all - Per point of damage, modified by victim's tank type and tank tier compared to your own (damaging higher tiers pays more).
All damage counts, whether caused by direct hits, splash damage, ramming, fire or ammo-rack explosion.

Damaging enemies that your team is spotting, but not yourself - 50% of the above

Killing shot - Small bonus modified by the tier of the killed enemy compared to yours

PBalfredo

wmRE6Sj.jpg

Got the Radley-Walters Medal, in an arty of all tanks!

Recently got the SU-100 and well on my way to the more derpy Soviet TD guns.

Also bought back a T18 just for kicks, which is pretty fun how broken its howitzer and armor is for its class.

Anton668

8.8 Video

New Branch of Soviet Medium Tanks
A-43 (tier VI)
A-44 (tier VII)
Object 416 (tier VIII)
Object 140 (tier X)

New Additions to the German Tech Tree
Durchbruchswagen 2 (tier IV heavy tank)
VK 30.02 (M) (tier VI medium tank)

Changes in the German Tech Tree:
VK 30.01 H will be rebalanced and moved to tier V, reclassified as a heavy tank
VK 36.01 H will be rebalanced and reclassified as a heavy tank
Two New Chinese Premium Tanks
T-34-3, tier VIII medium tank
112, tier VIII heavy tank

New Map: Tundra

Super Persh is coming back and if you dont like it you have a chance to sell it for gold

Anton668

8.8 tomorrow

also..

Following maps were reworked and reintroduced to the game:

“Serene Coast” (significant map changes).
“Komarin” (significant map changes).
“Swamp“ (insignificant map changes).

JoeMartin

All set to get into the Obj410 (4 tier 10s what's wrong with me /o\), fully expecting it to be no different/worse than T-62a, what with its two fucking nipples sticking off the turret.

PBalfredo

Japanese tech tree announced! Finally.

Just two lines so far. A light tank line to Tier V, and a medium line to tier X. It'll be interesting to see how the Japanese tanks hang with the other nations, given that Japan's tanks of WWII have a poor reputation and the Chi-Ha in the Chinese tree can be charitably described as hot garbage.

PBalfredo

Tier V is a lot of fun. It's the tier where heavies appear in earnest and mediums distinguish themselves as more than just lights with more HP, as they are in the earlier tiers. Lots of fun tanks too. I like the StuG III and the S35 CA with their accurate and powerful guns, respectively. The BDR is a lot of fun with it's 90mm top gun, and the Excelsior is a good balance of speed, armor and DPM. I love how zippy the M7 and the T49 are. And remember when the PzIV could mount the L/70 in tier V? Good times.

Though I think I prefer tier VI just a bit over tier V as my favorite. Mostly because the mediums of that tier feel like the fully realized versions of their tier V counterparts. Whereas the T-34 was a jack-of-all trades that seemed just under par in all categories, the T-35-85 feels well above par in everything. The Sherman specializes to great success with flanking or hull-down tactics with the Easy Eight or the Jumbo. And the Cromwell. Oh how I love you, you speedy devil. Granted you sometime run into tier VIII tanks with tier VI, but it's worth it for these tanks.

Tier VII has proved to be a bit of a stumbling block for me though. Some of the tier VII vehicles don't see enough of an improvement over their tier VI brothers, and knowing they are going to be seeing tier VIII regularly and some tier IX, plus the long grind is a bit of a turn off. The T-43 is pretty much just a T-34-85 kicked up a tier level with a mean stock grind to boot. The Comet is slower than the Cromwell with basically the same stats on everything else. German tanks see either a damage boost with the 8.8 or a pen increase with the L/100, but not both. In fact the 8.8 has less pen than the L/70. On the edge whether I want to keep going forward with the VK 30.02 (D).

The only tier VII tanks I've enjoyed so far are the American ones. As everyone know, the T29 is a beast and I really like the T20's combination of manuverability and firepower. Got the T25 AT recently and it's top gun looks rad.

Anton668

long story short...

last year they bribed the playerbase to vote for them in the awards. they won
this year, they asked and were responded to with "wheres my bribe" and alot of users calling them out on how the game hasnt improved since then, or has gotten worse

both threads about it have been locked

and not sure if it was a AMA or where the quote is from, but when asked about it, this is what SevB had to say....

- Q: “SerB, last year (the idea of winning Golden Joystick) caused enthusiasm amongst players (unlike this year), what do you think about such a fundamental change in player attitude?” A: “I don’t care"

as far as problems in game, I think this post is pretty well written...
WARNING- wall of text ahead!
reply to [[Feedback] Golden Joystick Award]

What was the bribe last year? I don't even remember.

I wonder how much of a difference winning it really makes, especially with all that Russian money flowing in regardless.

Bought a Dicker Max on sale today to beef up some TD crew for the new line. It's ok, don't like the slow reload though. I knew exactly what I was getting into too, I dunno why I keep doing it to myself.

Scirrocco

ok, in preparation of 8.9 im working on my marder crew.. and these ppl ARE NOT HELPING!!!! lol

84Djb5S.jpg

Platooooooooon.

The amount of difference even one non window licker on your team makes is astounding. Even when you lose you do much better.

Also what.garage is.that?

Top Bottom