• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Special Edition - Mods Thread: Thomas the Tank Engine Strikes Back

RK9039

They also said it could take months :(

I don't even know how I going to play this game without requiem.

Same, I'm not going to bother until things like SkyUI come out. It's unplayable for me like this. At least I got to Whiterun so I'll be able to pick up from there.

tumblr_o7ne10dB9w1r94kvzo1_500.gif

Aaaand subbed.

Thx y'all

The-Bean

Has there been any word about skyui? i'd rather it be ported to se instead of doing to 2.2 workaround

Need SKSE first:

We have officially started to investigate building SKSE64 for the Skyrim Special Edition. This will be a large effort and it will not be done quickly. This is not a simple update to a new build of Skyrim where we used to have things updated in a day or two. The effort will be on par (or greater than) the effort to get F4SE up and running.

We have only just started so we are not sure about exactly how much can be carried over (conceptually) from our SKSE and F4SE work. The game seems to be half-way between the two. Once we have a decent base to work from I hope that the papyrus functionality will come over very quickly (with perhaps few changes.)

Once we do have a base understanding we'll work first on porting functionality that is actively being used by popular mods. This will include the hooks needed by SkyUI and MCM and keyboard/input processing.

There is absolutely no timeframe for a release. It is simply too early in the process to know the level of effort this project will require. Keep an eye on skse.silverlock.org for updates.

We'll try and keep an eye on this thread along with threads on the bethsoft and nexus forums. But we're also going to be heads-down on investigating. So please have some patience.

It'll be a little less necessary when Sky UI comes out, but I'd recommend Item Sorting by Saige. Since your inventory is automatically sorted alphabetically in the vanilla game, this mod changes many names to sort together (e.g. Iron Arrow and Steel Arrow become Arrow : Iron and Arrow : Steel). Though it's not on the SE nexus site, the vanilla version does work.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9539/?

StereoVsn

It'll be a little less necessary when Sky UI comes out, but I'd recommend Item Sorting by Saige. Since your inventory is automatically sorted alphabetically in the vanilla game, this mod changes many names to sort together (e.g. Iron Arrow and Steel Arrow become Arrow : Iron and Arrow : Steel). Though it's not on the SE nexus site, the vanilla version does work.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9539/?

I am using Another Sorting Mod since it's been ported to SSE.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspec...ion/ajax/moddescription/?id=10&preview=&pUp=1

Not sure how much difference there is between the two. Lack of SkyUI is super annoying though. Does anyone have the 2.2 file they grabbed when someone ported over SkyUI couple days ago (got pulled)?

I am using Another Sorting Mod since it's been ported to SSE.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspec...ion/ajax/moddescription/?id=10&preview=&pUp=1

Not sure how much difference there is between the two. Lack of SkyUI is super annoying though. Does anyone have the 2.2 file they grabbed when someone ported over SkyUI couple days ago (got pulled)?

The difference between the two is Another is more comprehensive and changes more than just the consumables names. It also modifies the weight and value of certain items. The one I am currently using is merely out of habit and I don't like the spell name change but either way, we need SkyUI!

Shoogoo

Are you guys installing mods through the in game mod manager? I'm all new to this and pretty confused.

Should I go through nexusmods.com instead?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's been a while, but SkyUI affects controls right? I remember in vanilla the mouse and dialog selection can be a bitch.

SlickVic

FO4 for xbox One has over 7000 mods, how long will this take for Skyrim?

Hard to say, but I expect the number to go up pretty quickly once the Creation Kit (CK) for Skyrim SE is officially out next week.

The main issue is there's a bunch of mods already made for original Skyrim, and a good chunk of non-SKSE dependent mods can be brought in to Skyrim SE pretty easily on the PC side. Armor and clothing mods are pretty good examples of those. But porting those original Skyrim mods to consoles does require getting the blessing of the original mod author, many of whom may no longer be active in the modding scene. With Fallout 4, PC mod and Xbox mod support came out within months of each other, so authors who were interested in porting mods over to Xbox didn't have to wait too long to get them in.

But regardless, once Skyrim SE CK is available to the public, people will start bringing a lot of new mods over. The Skyrim modding scene remains very active, and I suspect that will lead to a lot of console mods.

Are you guys installing mods through the in game mod manager? I'm all new to this and pretty confused.

Should I go through nexusmods.com instead?

What I want to know is, can you do both? I've been using the in game manager but there are some mods that are only on the nexus atm like SMIM and character meshes. Will they all come to the in game manager eventually? Should I just be patient or is the nexus manager better to use anyway?

What I want to know is, can you do both? I've been using the in game manager but there are some mods that are only on the nexus atm like SMIM and character meshes. Will they all come to the in game manager eventually? Should I just be patient or is the nexus manager better to use anyway?

I've currently got mods through the bethesda thing, using nexus mod manager, and some that i have applied manually and it's been fine tbh

Nexus mod manager also picked up the mod that I have installed through bethesda so I could apply the correct load order. It seems to be all compatible

I've currently got mods through the bethesda thing, using nexus mod manager, and some that i have applied manually and it's been fine tbh

Nexus mod manager also picked up the mod that I have installed through bethesda so I could apply the correct load order. It seems to be all compatible

That is awesome, as I was typing my post I was wondering if it would work like that. Thanks! SMIM here I come!

Drazgul

I get so many CTDs on PC just by using a couple of the mods from the in-game browser...sheesh

Load order matters. Sometimes compatibility patches are needed as well for mods to work with each other - and some are just plain incompatible.

I have installed 13 mods already, no crashes so far. I exclusively use NMM though.

Welp, Nexus Mod Manager isn't letting me link Skyrimse. When it scans for games on my PC it doesn't show up, only the vanilla one does. :/

Have you updated your NMM? The latest version is required for SE.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I can't download the SMIM SE 2.0 manually nor via the NMM, seems the link is down. Anyone else in the same boat ?

Any ETA for SE ENB mod ?

Unlikely it will make the transition. Defintaly not anytime soon.

Mod for SSE will not have similar set of features as for original Skyrim, it's possible only at cost of many years of work. Testing everything is very time consuming, i have around 2000 hours of "gameplay" in Skyrim. Without source code porting from dx9 to dx11 of same engine is hard, but when it's so much different engine, it's absolutely different, no similarities of any kind. Basically, i see some object in game, trying to indentify it logically what type is it and then by it's shaders and properties look what can i do to it. And i must find all similar objects in various weather and time of the day, with various number of lights, because they have different parameters and shaders, so need changed too (otherwise someone coming with tourch closer to object and my code stops working). And i need to check if something else wrongly modified because of same properties and how to fix that, so running everywhere and looking. Not very funny task.

http://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/v...sid=32943df03407078aa0a97700f1b98f6c&start=40

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Also how the hell is that grass render distance so close even in this remaster ? After games like The Witcher 3, it's just... I can't. I just can't. I know it's still based on a much older enginer (which itself it old as all hell and always been tweaked and improved), but yet, I'd have thought that with the remaster, the 64bit change and all that they could have at least improved that easily. Especially on PC with the rigs we have today.

Can someone here explain how to push that to the max ? I've never really been into Skyrim modding, even on the vanilla version.

Noble's Skyrim Textures SSE update released: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...mods.com/skyrim/ajax/modfiles/?id=45807&pUp=1

Check under updates

XjWSpS1.jpg

Wow, looking good.

So, if I'm using SMIM, I have to apply the SE patch and the SMIM patch, right?

Any ETA for SE ENB mod ?

Unlikely it will make the transition. Defintaly not anytime soon.

http://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/v...sid=32943df03407078aa0a97700f1b98f6c&start=40

Someone's already made an ENB preset for Skyrim SE, using Fallout 4 ENB. I haven't tried it myself though.

ISee

I've got the SMIM, so how would I install this? Download the original, the update, and then the SMIM update, or the original, the SMIM update and then the NobleTextures update?

I'm downloading now so I have no idea, but the SMIM patch was posted on the 25 of October 2016 and patch for SE on the 30 of October 2016. So I'll install the original, then the SMIM patch and then the SE update...

Rellik

Also how the hell is that grass render distance so close even in this remaster ? After games like The Witcher 3, it's just... I can't. I just can't. I know it's still based on a much older enginer (which itself it old as all hell and always been tweaked and improved), but yet, I'd have thought that with the remaster, the 64bit change and all that they could have at least improved that easily. Especially on PC with the rigs we have today.

Can someone here explain how to push that to the max ? I've never really been into Skyrim modding, even on the vanilla version.

Isn't that an option in the view distance menu? If not it should be an ini tweak that someobe smarter than me will know about.

I was in GeForce Experience to update my drivers and noticed Grass distance was set to 7 and it was recommending 7000 so I changed it through that since it wasn't asking to change any other of my settings.

Edit: Yeah it's in your Skyrim installed folder as Skyrim_Default.ini and then look under [Grass] and change the value of fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance

I didn't know GeForce Experience also tweaked that stuff. I normally avoid it due to giving me too low settings.

Olli128

I'm downloading now so I have no idea, but the SMIM patch was posted on the 25 of October 2016 and patch for SE on the 30 of October 2016. So I'll install the original, then the SMIM patch and then the SE update...

The creator of the mod posted this about using SMIM with his work in Special Edtiion

"It should work, but I wouldn't recommend it. Since they're loose files, it will work out of the box, but it will hurt performance if they're not of the exact same format the SE is expecting. Files need to be converted to SE formats, ie meshes need to be converted to an updated version of the nif format, and textures need to be either DXT1 or DXT5."

So I'm just gonna use the textures and ignore the SMIM for now.

Truant

Any mods to keep the 3rd person camera to over-the-shoulder, even if you equip weapons? I really like to play in 3rd person, but the way they center the camera when in combat looks and feels weird.

RK9039

Someone's already made an ENB preset for Skyrim SE, using Fallout 4 ENB. I haven't tried it myself though.

Oh that's basically a reshade, it just slaps on effects on the existing game effects. ENB is different because it completely replaces the game effects, and is also waaay better.

Any ETA for SE ENB mod ?

Not happening anytime soon, if ever actually. The main ENB dev said SE will require more work because the game is different to original Skyrim, something like 8000+ shaders need to be touched manually. He also said if he does manage to crack it then the ENB mods will be more like Fallout 4 rather than original Skyrim, as in more limited I'm assuming.

What's the best lighting mod out there?

I'm using this Enhanced Lighting mod. While it's great in certain parts of cities with adequate light sources, it's too dark in some places where there's barely any light source. Realistic Lighting mod seems to have a similar problem as well.

Oh that's basically a reshade, it just slaps on effects on the existing game effects. ENB is different because it completely replaces the game effects, and is also waaay better.

I'm referring to this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1141/
From the installation description, it seems that it uses Fallout 4 ENB binary. I'm not really sure though as I haven't tried it.

Fitz

Having a little issue with the new Nexus Mod Manager for the SE. Afaik it's supposed to extract mods to the virtual install folder and run the mods from there, leaving the game install/data folder clean, however at the moment it's doing that, but also extracting the mod files to the game directory as with old versions/manual installation. The result is double the space being used on my drive for each mod, and this doesn't include the other folder when compressed mods are stored on download.

I've had a good amount of mods on since Friday without issue on xbox one. Started the game up today and added one New mod and it crashed my game while loading. Started the game back up and it kept crashing before it even got to the main menu. I had to delete the reserve space for mods from the xbox memory before it would load up again. Not sure if it was the mod I downloaded or my load order or what. The mod was Earn 20% extra perk points. Just a heads up to everyone.

How many nexus mods will eventually end up on the in-game mod shop? All of them?

Because compared to the nexus there are hardly any mods on the in-game shop and I'm seriously considering just going full nexus mods instead of waiting and seeing what makes it. Who curates the in-game shop anyway?

RK9039

How many nexus mods will eventually end up on the in-game mod shop? All of them?

Because compared to the nexus there are hardly any mods on the in-game shop and I'm seriously considering just going full nexus mods instead of waiting and seeing what makes it. Who curates the in-game shop anyway?

No idea, but if you're on PC you should be on nexus in general.

Vuze

If I had to guess: Bethesda. lol

Going Nexus/manual is better imo. Judging from some comments around here, if you fuck up your game with wrong load order or a bugged mod and the game crashes on startup, you will have a very hard time to get it sorted due to the menu being in-game.

I think it's a no brainer on PC to ignore Bethesdas mod approach.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't that an option in the view distance menu? If not it should be an ini tweak that someobe smarter than me will know about.

I was in GeForce Experience to update my drivers and noticed Grass distance was set to 7 and it was recommending 7000 so I changed it through that since it wasn't asking to change any other of my settings.

Edit: Yeah it's in your Skyrim installed folder as Skyrim_Default.ini and then look under [Grass] and change the value of fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance

I didn't know GeForce Experience also tweaked that stuff. I normally avoid it due to giving me too low settings.

It does absolutely nothing. They must have changed something with the SE, because even the old uGridsToLoad=7 and CellBuffer tweaks have no impact at all. That's frustrating.

Grabbed this one X1 for the heavier mod support, and even though my first playthrough is without mods, I forgot how much I love this game. Decided to go drastically different than them for a straight up Destruction Mage build with some Resto, really enjoying it so far but it can get rough sometimes due to mana management (I'm only level 8). So far I've done all points into Magicka except for 2 into HP but I plan to go full Magicka for a while going forward. I've been leveling enchanting so I can crested the destruction Magicka reduction Armour. Anybody done something similar to this? I'm playing on the default Adept and its for sure rough sometimes.

Top Bottom