• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI Demo (non-crappy Gamescom camera edition)

Dibbz

If you watch Yoshida playing it definitely looks live as his shots are all over the place.

Hopefully every game allows you to skip the menus and load right into the match/race/MP, not just KZ4.

In case anyone is wondering KZ3 let you do this on the PS3 straight from the XMB. Looks like it's system wide this time with PS4.

I'm skeptical on it booting up the game and joining a server that fast though. Seems impossible unless there is some sort of Cerny magic going on.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
XMB is straight up ugly. This is slightly better but still ugly and it lagged. I think I will prefer Xbone ui, since I like metro-style more, but if jumping into games is really that quick (I assume he was previously playing the game) then it's impressive.

Just curious, does Xbox have anything in regards to what Sony is doing here?

I am pretty sure they do, but I dont hear much of it

In case anyone is wondering KZ3 let you do this on the PS3 straight from the XMB. Looks like it's system wide this time with PS4.

I'm skeptical on it booting up the game and joining a server that fast though. Seems impossible unless there is some sort of Cerny magic going on.

Maybe this is an effect of splitting up multiplayer and single player.

Well, it is just a very limited number of people using that service currently. Come actual launch and all that traffic though...that will be the tell.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just curious, does Xbox have anything in regards to what Sony is doing here?

I am pretty sure they do, but I dont hear much of it

Their stuff isn't as advanced as Sony's. I just had a talk with a friend about this a few days back. They are a little behind in the SW as the rumors stated a while back.

This might be jumping ahead but I wonder if games that are from the back catalog through gaikai will be able to use this streaming/insta join technology.

All this looks cool but then I remembered I don't play online much. What does it mean for me? I could be playing an rpg and have an online friend suddenly say "omg how do you play so slow, more plot plz"?

Their stuff isn't as advanced as Sony's. I just had a talk with a friend about this a few days back. They are a little behind in the SW as the rumors stated a while back.

That can't be right... MS is the king of OS for consoles :O

But, they are going to get similar features right? It'd baffle me if Sony actually has an edge here

fbBECgY.jpg

Thankfully here's some better footage of the opening of the Gamescom conference that showcases the UI demo. I don't have to squint to see the postage stamp sized screen anymore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM&sns=tw

U13VhHi.gif

Dibbz

Maybe this is an effect of splitting up multiplayer and single player.

Well, it is just a very limited number of people using that service currently. Come actual launch and all that traffic though...that will be the tell.

I have no idea.

Maybe KZ was already booted on the console and Yoshida was just browsing the "XMB" in game. That way all that it is doing when he clicks join is it connects to the server and closes the XMB and brings him back to the game. Just a guess.

ckohler

And some people was actually worried about the UI and the performance. Base on that live video, you guys can stop now. that was fucking impressive. And the BEST PART....NO FUCKING ADS.

I liked everything except the brief moments of lag. Opening tiles was smooth but closing them caused the UI to choke briefly. Also, the kerning on the names of the game in detail view was weird. They butt right up against the left edge. They still have two months to refine it, though.

Good stuff but the time for teases is past. We want to see more. Show us the party system. Show us friends interface. Show us the system settings. I know this stuff isn't sexy, but we really want to know!

TheHater

I liked everything except the brief moments of lag. Opening tiles was smooth but closing them caused the UI to choke briefly. They still have two months to refine it, though.

Also, I want to see more. Show us the party system. Show us friends interface. Show us the system settings. I know this stuff isn't sexy, but we really want to know!
I would like to see all that also. However, do think that the UI is clean and simple. No fucking ADS.

USC-fan

Banned
Didnt look that good. But i am a fan on XMB or whatever it called.

Like to see how the apps work. Hope since is x86 we get a lot more third party apps. I would love the app to work as good as youtube on ps3 does.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
XBONE UI will probably be quicker due to Kinect Voice Commands. That's one of its perks, though.

Can't the PS4 Eye recognize voice commands? I'm probably mistaken, but if it's capable, they ought to try offering a similar system.

wmlk

Can't the PS4 Eye recognize voice commands? I'm probably mistaken, but if it's capable, they ought to try offering a similar system.

Hope so. I could just say: "XBOX, join Bob Johnson's online match on BATTLEFIELD 4." That would be extremely easy.

Mik_Pad

Banned
how can a voice command be faster than a button press?

On Topic, PS4 seems fast and responsive which is all I asked for.
Too be fair you could jump steps with voice commands, I think voice commands is useful but in my personal case it isn't for various reasons.

WillyFive

I LOVE that the UI has ambient sound. I really disliked how the PS3 OS was as silent as a tomb, and the only way to add sound was to manually play music, which wasn't worth it.

XBONE UI will probably be quicker due to Kinect Voice Commands. That's one of its perks, though.

It's vanilla design will probably look better too, the default (?) PS4 UI ain't a looker. Even the layout of OS is inconsistent with itself.

You can skip through several menus & scrolling by simply saying the name of a game, app, or feature.

I hope they utilize the touchpad to act as quick-access.

Completely programmable by you, the gamer.

For example, if you swipe:

Left -> Friends
Right -> Browser
Down and Hold -> Instantly Launch Disc
Down -> Main Menu
Up -> Messages
Up and Hold -> Live from PlayStation

Satchel

Banned
Ok, so I had no idea that the XMB backbone was still there.

So close Sony, so close.

Is it an improvement on PS3?
Yup. Does it still look like a mess? Yup.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ok, so I had no idea that the XMB backbone was still there.

So close Sony, so close.

Is it an improvement on PS3?
Yup. Does it still look like a mess? Yup.

How is it a mess? It looks quiet a bit like XBO's interface with the XMB being the Guide blades.

Satchel

Banned
How is it a mess? It looks quiet a bit like XBO's interface with the XMB being the Guide blades.

Doesn't look like Metro at all. Unless you're wearing some special glasses I haven't heard of yet.

Having squares doesn't mean they're similar. Does a Porsche look like a Lexus because they both have 4 wheels and headlights?

kris.

Banned
I kinda freaked out a little when he used the touch pad for the keyboard. The number one gripe I have with the PS3 is entering text. So fucking time-consuming. I was kinda skeptical about how they were gonna use the touch pad at first but they're being smart about this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Doesn't look like Metro at all. Unless you're wearing some special glasses I haven't heard of yet.

Having squares doesn't mean they're similar. Does a Porsche look like a Lexus because they both have 4 wheels and headlights?

What I meant by looking similar is that it looks easy to navigate with a lot of information presented on screen.

It is actually nice that all the information/button prompts are in the same place each time unlike Metro.

I also don't understand what's so messy about it. The colour scheme is fucking awful but that's it. It looks intuitive and it seems to use the touchpad really well.

Hope so. I could just say: "XBOX, join Bob Johnson's online match on BATTLEFIELD 4." That would be extremely easy.

"Xbox, join xxDEATHCLOCKZxx online match"

Given the creativity people put in their names, from simple changes of letters to full-on retard, I don't think that will ever happen.

Satchel

Banned
What I meant by looking similar is that it looks easy to navigate with a lot of information presented on screen.

Then we're not talking about the same thing.

I'm talking design. Its still a messy looking disjointed UI. You can bag the Xbox dash for its ads, or the difficulty you have finding stuff, but at least it looks great from a design point of view and there's a consistent theme.

This is frankenUI

Top Bottom