• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderful 101 first Review: "ample justification for Nintendo's eccentric hardware"

Mdk7

Yeah it's shockingly good from what i've played (the first 4 missions).
In case you feel like reading my preview - in Italian, sorry! - click here!

it.ign.com/anteprima/7670/anteprima-wiiu-the-wonderful-101-puro-platino-all-orizzonte-

Huh? Didn't you mean those attack/defense buff items? They're really important on higher difficulties

bayonetta is not that hard on higher difficulties

and consumable items are labeled as cheats by the scoring system, they aren't really meant to be used (which is counter intuitive, I know)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Kind of misleading thread title, he was referring to Platinum's work in general not just this game.
You're right I always take a quote when I post a review and I didn't read this one correctly. The quote still applies to this game though - and Platinum work before that.

hal9001

Banned
There does seem to be great initial impressions of this game from many people. So far from what I have seen it does look like another hit from Platinum games.

noobasuar

Banned
Most anticipated game for me. Can't believe I'm going to have to balance playing this and GTA on the same day. Can't freaking wait.

Satchel

Banned
A part of me doesn't want this game to be worth buying. I like being able to concentrate on one game at a time on my WiiU.

First was ZombiU, now I'm almost done with NSMBU. I'm not ready for this game yet.

Randdalf

What's with the comment about the stiff analogue sticks in the review? They feel just like the ones on my 360 to me, if anything, a bit looser.

Soren01

I NEED A WIIU

NEED

iul1Bdu6Rybop.jpg

EulaCapra

An alchemy system allows you to create new items from collected pieces of fruit, although its workings are left unexplained; each of the 101 you collect can be levelled up individually, although its unclear what benefits this brings to the whole.
Bwah? Are they talking about the alchemy system or is there really 101 playable characters indeed?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Mmm. "Scrappiness of the action" sounds like exactly what I was worried about. Also a lot of talk about minigame setpieces.

Looking forward to playing it down the line though, the spaceship section sounding like the first "only on WiiU" moment for the console.

Anura

Uh, what? I was simply commenting on the quality of the review itself.

Might want to make it more clear that you are referring to the writers writing skills.

It really sounded like you were complaining about it being a bribed reveiw

Darryl

Banned
If Pikmin 3 is the Gardener's World of ponderous strategy games, The Wonderful 101 is police helicopter footage of a sweltering Los Angeles riot.

that analogy is fresh. game sounds great.

thefro

Mmm. "Scrappiness of the action" sounds like exactly what I was worried about. Also a lot of talk about minigame setpieces.

Kamiya says in Famitsu this week

When asked what sort of depth is behind The Wonderful 101, Kamiya got a little coy with the interviewer. "I'm not gonna say that you can button-mash the whole way," he replied, "but you can also take more of a sheer force-oriented approach. It's easy enough to just finish the game, but if you try to work out better strategies and play a better, more stylish game, then it just gets deeper and deeper. I'd like people to just play the way they want, and hopefully they'll get addicted once they see all the things they're able to do. In that way, the entire first playthrough is something like a tutorial. I think the real game begins the second time through."

It's a philosophy that's plain when you look at most of Platinum's previous releases, most of which feature multiple skill levels that reward deeper exploration of how the gameplay system works. "With action games I'm involved with," Kamiya said, "I don't want people to just play them one time through. Ideally I'd like them to play their whole lifetime. There are certain action games that I'm still playing to this day, after all. It's not because I want to see the ending, but because the gameplay itself is fun; it feels good to control. That's the kind of game I try to make, and while I don't like to say things like 'There's X amount of content until the ending,' I will say that there's more volume to this game than Bayonetta."

Oh shit, I didn't realise this was out so soon!?

Don't own a Wii U, hoping my brother picks this up so I can have a go, though. Definitely looking forward to it.

Really kicking myself for not preordering this at e3. FUCK (small discount for canadians)

I notice first reviews always seems overly positive

Looking forward to playing it down the line though, the spaceship section sounding like the first "only on WiiU" moment for the console.

Aside from all those other only on Wii U moments that came before, sure.

Come on.

Well I understand, I never do that, but this is the first review to Platinum's new baby, I thought fans would want to read it fully.

Yeah but it's probably best to just highlight the important parts and link the review. The site should get it's deserved traffic.

Deadstar

Can someone sell me on this game in video form? I keep hearing about it and have seen it but every time I look at it, there's just a lot of stuff going on that I don't understand.

Wii U(nite). This game is like honey in hot milk to the mouth of nintendo fans. Platinum is the only developer that goes and create awesome games to each console they work with. Day one Kamiya san same as Bayonetta 1, Madworld, Rising, Anarchy Reign and future Bayonetta 2. The only game that I bought second day was Vanquish.

Hopefully the upcoming Direct has a Stylish Combo segment. It seems plenty mashy right now with rare combo moments of nuance but I have to believe some of that Kamiya magic lies within.

One preview ive read mentions this is a hardcore game, in terms of gameplay. I agree, it can look simple at the surface.

The graphics look pretty awesome and Kamiya passed up working on Bayonetta 2 to do this instead. No surprise that it's godly imo.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It seems The Guardian mistakenly broke the embargo. The review is now no longer there.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You're right I always take a quote when I post a review and I didn't read this one correctly. The quote still applies to this game though - and Platinum work before that.
... but that still makes it misleading.

Top Bottom