• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Oldest Save File You Still Have?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I think I have an Earthbound save from when I first got the game in 1999, but I'd have to check as I haven't played in a long time. That was back in the second millenium, man.

My Earthbound cart was one of the first games I can remember owning and playing enough that I noticed when the battery died.

Oreoleo

Okay, so this thread made me dig out my old GameBoy games. Donkey Kong was one of the first games I had for it. Probably got it when I was 6 or so, around 1994. Still has the save file I worked on for years. Got to the final boss but was never able to beat it. UNTIL NOW. That's right! It took me 17 years but I finally beat this damn game. Thank you, thread :D

PS having to turn off my GameBoy and blow in the cartridges multiple times to get them to work is making me nostalgia hard.

hiro4

XmWBF.jpg

QszqV.jpg

Kinda impressive the battery isn't dead after all these years.

Probably mine too :D.
I think it is around 1992 or so?
My older games don't have a save file slot so.

Riposte

Pokemon Red... somewhere.

EDIT: My Earthbound saves died, I guess, at the time I didn't understand why it happened.

Probably Super Mario World. Kirby's Adventure too, I think. Though some of my games have had save problems over the years. The oldest I know as a fact is Waverace 64 from 1996.

My Zelda 1 cartridge battery works, but the battery is loose, and when you hit the cartridge, the battery shakes or something, making an awesome spring noise (but erasing everything)...

The first game of mine whose battery died completely was Pokémon Gold. Miss that game. Should have used 2 batteries lol

orion434

Super Metroid, checked the file the other day and it still works. I had bought a copy of Final Fantasy for the NES in 1993 and it died this year :(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mine is probably Super Mario Land 2's, but I haven't plugged that cartridge for a while now, so it may already be gone.

Tain

The oldest that I'm sure about are some 1996 Saturn saves backed up onto my Pro Action Replay 4-in-1. Daytona, VF2, Virtua Cop.

I might have some crazy old floppy discs with saves on them, though. Maybe a save for the Mac version of Secret of the Silver Blades. I never got very far.

Gintoki

Probably Zelda: LTTP and Donkey kong country 2 on the SNES, which I've given to my brother. Thats about it.. I don't have my other systems (N64, Gameboy, PS1) dunno where they ended up. :/

Yeah unfortunately battery tech has killed many of my older saves. With the move to cloud saves, I hope this won't be much of an issue in the future.

very good question. hmm..

i still have some PS1 memory cards somewhere, im guessing my Wipeout save is the oldest. but damn, this thread reminds me of how i stupidly sold all my NES/SNES stuff :(((((

jcm

Last time I moved (2 years ago) I found a 5 1/4" floppy with saves for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I threw it away though. No way to read it, so I'm not sure whether it still worked.

Apoc87

Banned
So, what's GAFs consensus on buying used cartridge games (SNES, gameboy)?

Are the batteries most likely to die nowadays?

Requeim

I don't think i have ever backed up any PC saves (which was pretty much all i played back in the day), so by default it has to be a Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 save from July 2004 when i got my PS2

edit: scratch that, it's Pokemon Silver or Crystal. I know the crystal battery still lives, not so sure about the silver one.

Haven't checked the cartridge in a very long time, but if it's still on there it would be the original save file from The Legend of Zelda that my Dad and I used to play when I was about 4 years old.

Bazza

Think i still have my FF7 saves on a PS1 memory card if time hasn't corrupted or damaged them in some way.

Azure J

Still have my first save file in Startropics on the NES (stuck in Chapter 3 no less :lol). That's at least 1992. I think that's my absolute oldest one on a hard copy of a game I possess.

Saroyan

If the battery is still working in my Dragon Warrior cart then it would be that, I haven't tested it in years though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My FF2US cartridge still has its savegames on there from when I played back in the day...

I'd wager a guess at Super Mairo Land 2 or Metroid 2. I can check tomorrow. To think those saves will be nearly 20 years old.

Pokemon Gold from 2000. I preserved the save file in this gameboy memory card cartridge I've bought on ebay a while ago. :)
The cart is probably dead though :(

EGG

Neo Member
I'll go with my A Link to the Past save back when I beat it as a 7 year old I believe. So that would be 1999.

Magnus

Probably just some PS1 saves files that have since moved to a PS2 memory card, and now, to my PS3 Virtual (PS2) memory card.

Anteater

Probably FF9 on my psx memory card, I think that's the last time I used that ps1 memory card and the last game I played on the ps1, I probably formatted that card before for room.

Other than that I guess those snes games like super mario world if they still work.

Top Bottom