• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive EDGE info blowout, with more coming tomorrow

Awesome... Edge magazine has just hit the Windows Store too, think it's fairly new - only one review. Good for those of us without iDevices.

Sounds good just need to see it now.

Microsoft told Insomniac “We want Insomniac to be Insomniac” and allowed the developer to own the intellectual property, which is very important for the developer.
Wouldn't be surprised if Platinum got something similar.

It's going to be so god damn glorious. Yessssss.

I never stopped believing.

Man, I really need some gameplay footage to confirm if it really does look as good in motion as the screens.

Anyway, the gameplay sounds pretty damn great. MS could have a huge hit on their hands if they market this properly.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You mean the game that looks like Battlefield 2?

ww3vwbyyge67.gif

What's with this condescending trend of putting "son" at the end of things? It's almost as bad as junior IMO.

edit: unless you actually are his dad.

bro, brah, bruh, breh, brosef

After reading the summary I'm super excited to see this. I don't and likely won't own an XB1 but this would be a day 1 purchase if i did.

I didn't really like Resistance but loved the Rachet and Clank series and this seems inspired by that same blend of crazy OTT weaponry and fun platforming. It also has the same cartoony, colourful visual style. The fact the team are drawing inspiration from Jet Set Radio is also a massive draw. Oh and of course the fact it looks like a more humorous, next gen Crackdown is pretty exciting too!

Looking forward to the video footage!

On the east its coast its 7. Since Insomniac is located on the west coast I would say we still have up to 8 frickin hours before additional media hits.

Christ that actually does look like a PS2 game.

But seriously you can't take a picture of the game at its worse and use that to condemn the graphics as a whole.
That's a very selectively chosen shot. I played it and it looked nothing like that. I played it on the Xbox One too and that's supposed to look worse than the PS4 one.

Of course it is. It's one that actually looks like a 9 year old game which is terrible whichever way you cut it. It's at odds with the absolutely stunning statement. Even the better shots don't look much better.

-----------

End of derail.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I seem to be missing the actual blowout.

Give me deets. What's the actual gameplay like, what kind of multiplayer, maps, campaign details, story focus, mission structure, variety, etcetera.

I can appreciate reading their "vision" over and over, but let's get down into the nitty gritty.
Hell, i'm not even sure whether it's a first-person or a third-person shooter.

Give me deets. What's the actual gameplay like, what kind of multiplayer, maps, campaign details, story focus, mission structure, variety, etcetera.

I can appreciate reading their "vision" over and over, but let's get down into the nitty gritty.

I believe it is supposed to happen later today. I'm really hoping we get to see it in action before E3.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Clearly I'm not street enough to keep up with the lingo >> laughing smiley goes here <<

Same here, i learned it all from the interwebz.

What part of that is "absolutely stunning"?

What these fine gentlemen said:

Christ that actually does look like a PS2 game.

But seriously you can't take a picture of the game at its worse and use that to condemn the graphics as a whole.

That's a very selectively chosen shot. I played it and it looked nothing like that. I played it on the Xbox One too and that's supposed to look worse than the PS4 one.

Seriously, the game looks amazing on PS4.

Edit: but let's not derail this thread guys...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598106

There was also a CGI trailer which is supposed to representative of actual gameplay.

V_Ben

Banned
Bought my issue, game look amazing.

One thing for people to read and hopefully get over... Game is, in EDGE's words, 'for now, another sub-1080p game.' - They're still optimizing it of course.

But to me it doesn't honestly matter. The screenshots look astoundingly colorful and pretty.

Hoo-doo

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598106

There was also a CGI trailer which is supposed to representative of actual gameplay.

Representative =/= actual gameplay.

All i'm reading is that "SO is evoking styles of XYZ", the world "makes you feel like XYZ", "the gameplay is reminiscent of era XYZ", "we're aiming for XYZ", "We want to bring elements of franchise XYZ". And so on.

A few concrete details would be nice, but apparently these are not coming from the EDGE article. Interested to see what Giantbomb has to write about it as well.

derFeef

I think you can get a pretty good idea how it might play with those infos. And more are coming soon with the digital version out now.

Also get Snake out of this topic :p

One thing for people to read and hopefully get over... Game is, in EDGE's words, 'for now, another sub-1080p game.' - They're still optimizing it of course.

But to me it doesn't honestly matter. The screenshots look astoundingly colorful and pretty.

Any info on frame rate ? 30 or 60 fps ?

nbraun80

All i'm reading is that "SO is evoking styles of XYZ", the world "makes you feel like XYZ", "the gameplay is reminiscent of era XYZ", "we're aiming for XYZ", "We want to bring elements of franchise XYZ". And so on.

A few concrete details would be nice, but apparently these are not coming from the EDGE article. Interested to see what Giantbomb has to write about it as well.
edge has the first reveal others like IGN will be talking about it later today. Also they said we should see video within a week.

**edit link to where he mentions gameplay in a weekish

Same here, i'm seeing lots of hype, hope and inference but little else.

1080P of not, I have a feeling this game is going to look incredible in motion. I really hope they have the excellent animations of the Ratchet series present. That cartoony look and feel is important.

"Not enough pixels!"

JK, I don't mind this as long as the game looks good and is a lot of fun. For me fun over all, I can deal with bad graphics, crap story/acting and terrible music as long as the gameplay is on point. (not saying SO will have those things)

UrbanRats

I think i just saw a (very blurry) screen of this .
Looks cool, but more akin to JSRF than JSR, in terms of colors (secondary over primary, basically).
Waiting to see more though..

EDIT: removing the source, since it most likely quilifies as a scan.

LTWheels

1080P of not, I have a feeling this game is going to look incredible in motion. I really hope they have the excellent animations of the Ratchet series present. That cartoony look and feel is important.

The edge article confirms that it is sub 1080 (at the moment). Doesn't say what resolution.

nbraun80

I will also just say that from what I've read so far it sounds somewhat like Dead Rising 3 will the making of weapons and streets full of enemies, but obviously mixed with parkour and a brighter world.

I liked this quote in the article:
"Never mind the hows of Sunset Overdrive's limitless grinds or wall runs, or why every car is spring-loaded. There is, says Murray, no story explanation for either, beyond this being a videogame set in a videogame land. 'it's a game that revels in being a game,' he says. 'One of our first mottos was, 'Fun trumps realism.' We don't need an explanation if it's fun; that's good enough."

Just looked at the reddit stuff...my god. Hypeeeeeeee, and confirmed again in the magazine to be launching in 2014.

Please, for the love of everything JS, give us a gameplay trailer today!

Top Bottom