• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Looking to build a new PC. Took what Hazaro recommended and changed the GPU and SSD. Will a 1000w PSU be enough?

Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-V LE
CPU - 3770K
GPU – GTX690
RAM - 4x4GB 1.5V 1866Mhz - $97
SSD – 512GB, Samsung 830 just jumped like 300 in price to over a grand. Looking to spend 600-700. Maybe I will just go with 2 smaller SSDs.

scogoth

Looking to build a new PC. Took what Hazaro recommended and changed the GPU and SSD. Will a 1000w PSU be enough?

Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-V LE
CPU - 3770K
GPU – GTX690
RAM - 4x4GB 1.5V 1866Mhz - $97
SSD – 512GB, Samsung 830 just jumped like 300 in price to over a grand. Looking to spend 600-700. Maybe I will just go with 2 smaller SSDs.

Absolutely. 1000W is enough for everything but the most ludicrous of builds. You have to remember that 1000W PSU is pulling the near full capacity of a 120v 10amp socket.

Man, I was sad to put mine back in the box. How is the sound quality for onboard audio? I've been wanting to ditch my DX for a long time, but I just can't seem to do it. Heard good things about the Supreme X-Fi on the MVGene.

Really nice to be honest. It helps a lot because I don't have space for an internal card and I'm kind of sick of using USB headsets due to not having decent integrated sound to begin with (I have a BUNCH of headsets/headphones, and switch around constantly).

Also, wanted to mention that this build has a Killer NIC 1700 inside it. It may sound like a waste of money at $74~, but I am getting slightly better pings and am able to max my bandwidth better on certain programs like Steam and Origin. Not worth it for everyone, but if you game a lot it's worth looking into.

Damn the people selling all their used stuff. Is the Maximus V worth the 60 bucks more compared to a Maximux IV (not the GEN3 version) for 105?

I just bought mine because I wanted some of the smaller changes they made from the IV, even if I ended up with another SB build. If you're okay with a used board just get the old one though, it probably won't make a huge difference.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
New egg just had the 3770k in stock. Added to cart, looked at a PSU for 2minutes and they took it out of my cart. Now it is sold out again. So mad.

mkenyon

Banned
Damn the people selling all their used stuff. Is the Maximus V worth the 60 bucks more compared to a Maximux IV (not the GEN3 version) for 105?
Extreme? Gene? Formula?
I don't know for sure since I'm also trying to make the same decision but from everything I've read.

The 3570k will be cooler than the 2500k as long as it is clocked under 4.7.
Not necessarily 4.7. Depends on the chip and the motherboard where the wall is at. Seems to be more around volts than it does clocks, which is 1.3 for the wall seemingly.
Also, wanted to mention that this build has a Killer NIC 1700 inside it. It may sound like a waste of money at $74~, but I am getting slightly better pings and am able to max my bandwidth better on certain programs like Steam and Origin. Not worth it for everyone, but if you game a lot it's worth looking into.
If you really want to optimize that, you can actually install a linux router server to it all configured for ultimate ping.

maks

I'm loving my system. Thanks to all for the advice. I am now thinking about installing an mini-pcie wireless card into my desktop since my Asus Maximus V supports it. The Intel 6230 wifi/bluetooth combo adapter seems good. It looks like i have to buy an internal laptop antenna as well...but i'm not sure if an internal antenna will work well. Anyone do a similar project? Advice?

Intel 6230 802.11n (draft) Bluetooth 3.0 - Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Combo $25.70
Tyco Wifi & Bluetooth Antenna $8.49

SYSTEM SPECS
Intel 2600k
Asus Maximus V Gene z77
Radeon 5850
Hyper 212+ Evo
16gb Corsair Vengeance LP
120gb Sandisk Extreme SSD
Silverstone TJ08B

If you really want to optimize that, you can actually install a linux router server to it all configured for ultimate ping.

For now I'm content because my pings in TF2 on IAD (MD/VA) servers are roughly 9ms, down from about 16ms. There are a lot of things I could do differently, but since I'm using FiOS I can't swap out my Actiontec unless I end up cancelling my TV sub. Either way the Killer is interesting in how it bypasses the Windows stack and gets results, and you can find a lot of reviews online that show at least some improvement.

I'm loving my system. Thanks to all for the advice. I am now thinking about installing an mini-pcie wireless card into my desktop since my Asus Maximus V supports it. The Intel 6230 wifi/bluetooth combo adapter seems good. It looks like i have to buy an internal laptop antenna as well...but i'm not sure if an internal antenna will work well. Anyone do a similar project? Advice?

Also, no I don't work for Bigfoot, but they DO have an mPCI-E WiFi version of the Killer NIC that will fit into the Maximus GENE V. I've heard it's pretty good but I'm sure the Intel board is pretty much the same. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, so I'm really interested in seeing what kind of results you get. Otherwise, you could also just stick with a a USB dongle and put an mSATA drive in there to keep your Sandisk free for other stuff.

ZetaEpyon

SADzkh.jpg

Did you sleeve the PSU cables yourself or buy them somewhere? I'd like to do something with the cables on my X750; preferably without having to do it all myself.

mkenyon

Banned
Did you sleeve the PSU cables yourself or buy them somewhere? I'd like to do something with the cables on my X750; preferably without having to do it all myself.
http://www.psychosleeve.com/gallery.html

The MDPC sleeving, while really pretty is *very* inflexible. For instance, my motherboard 24 pin is more or less permanently bent in a U. There's some folks on overclock.net in the 'artisan' sub forum that also do an equally as good of a job, and you can get paracord which is a lot more flexible. In either instance, it's going to be like $300+ for just the EPS 8pin, motherboard 24pin, and both PCI-E cables.

It's actually cheaper to just get the Corsair AX PSU and the kits from their website than it would be to have a sleeving service done. You are limited in color options though.

ParityBit

General question when building your rig.

So, I have built rigs many times over the years, but this time I decided I wanted to take it slow, wire manage, etc. Any advice as far as must have utilities/software?

I have seen mention of Rivatuner. Anything else? I plan on building snd setting up the machine, then overclocking (i7 3770k) some with using my motherboards facilities (P8Z77-V DELUXE)

Hawk269

http://www.psychosleeve.com/gallery.html

The MDPC sleeving, while really pretty is *very* inflexible. For instance, my motherboard 24 pin is more or less permanently bent in a U. There's some folks on overclock.net in the 'artisan' sub forum that also do an equally as good of a job, and you can get paracord which is a lot more flexible. In either instance, it's going to be like $300+ for just the EPS 8pin, motherboard 24pin, and both PCI-E cables.

It's actually cheaper to just get the Corsair AX PSU and the kits from their website than it would be to have a sleeving service done. You are limited in color options though.

I decided to go with blue cables from my PSU and just ordered them from Corsair. $99.99 for a complete set of power cables. I beleive they have Red, Blue, Black, White available.

Hawk269

So, I have built rigs many times over the years, but this time I decided I wanted to take it slow, wire manage, etc. Any advice as far as must have utilities/software?

I have seen mention of Rivatuner. Anything else? I plan on building snd setting up the machine, then overclocking (i7 3770k) some with using my motherboards facilities (P8Z77-V DELUXE)

1st page of the thread has links to some good software like CPUZ, Prime95 etc. If you plan to OC your GPU there is Heaven Unigine, 3dMark11 etc. For cable management, just buy alot of Zip Ties. Also depending on your case, home improvement stores sell these adhesive tie down things (cant remember the name of them) that you apply to the case to run zip ties through..again that is if you case does not have enough tie down points on it.

mkenyon

Banned

My standard install is: CPU/GPU-Z, HWMonitor, Prime95, MSI Afterburner (nvidia) or Sapphire Trixx (AMD), and 3D Mark 11. Some people use Furmark or Uniengine for GPU testing, but I'd strongly recommend against the former. I like 3D Mark because it both A) stress tests the GPU enough for stability and, B) easy for me to compare to similar systems via Race Your PC thread.

There's a link to a cable management guide in the OP.

Alright, I'm upgrading from a

Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz
Gigabyte P35-DS3
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Lian Li PC-71B w/watercooling

to

i7 2600K@ hopefully 4.5 GHz
Asus Maximus V Gene
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Powermac G5 w/uncertain, probably air for now

On one hand I can't wait for it, on the other hand I wish I didn't buy the stuff, because it's going to be so much work. :lol

Hawk269

My standard install is: CPU/GPU-Z, HWMonitor, Prime95, MSI Afterburner (nvidia) or Sapphire Trixx (AMD), and 3D Mark 11. Some people use Furmark or Uniengine for GPU testing, but I'd strongly recommend against the former. I like 3D Mark because it both A) stress tests the GPU enough for stability and, B) easy for me to compare to similar systems via Race Your PC thread.

There's a link to a cable management guide in the OP.

Mkenyon is correct/wise/etc...lol

I use Unigine/3dmark11 for the same reason to compare with others on this forum and other forums to ensure that my rig is hitting within the same ball park as others with similar systems. There will always be some stuff off, but if my scores, FPS come in within 5 fps of others that have the same exact set up then I know it is running fine..again this is on the GPU side.

For the CPU I generally use Prime95 and also RealTemp so monitor my temps. My general CPU Overclocking testing is havine Prime95, Real Temp, CPU -Z all up on the screen so I can monitor speed, voltages and temps as Prime does it's thing. I mainly look for temps to ensure that they dont go beyond what I prefer and if it does I dial back a bit and of course if it fails you will know it...lol

Hawk269

Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz
Gigabyte P35-DS3
4 GB DDR2 RAM

to

Asus Maximus V Gene
8 GB DDR3 RAM

On one hand I can't wait for it, on the other hand I wish I didn't buy the stuff, because it's going to be so much work. :lol

It's alot of work but in the end worth it. and you should easily hit 4.5 on the 2600k.

Mr Swine

Banned

Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz
Gigabyte P35-DS3
4 GB DDR2 RAM

to

Asus Maximus V Gene
8 GB DDR3 RAM

You do know that going with Sandy Bridge you don't get USB3 and PCI-E 3.0 like you get with an Ivy Bridge CPU

Sethos

Banned
You do know that going with Sandy Bridge you don't get USB3 and PCI-E 3.0 like you get with an Ivy Bridge CPU

Can we stop this nonsense? You CAN get USB 3.0 AND PCI-E Gen 3 without IB.

Yes it's not "native" but USB 3.0 just requires a small controller driver and PCI-E Gen 3 just requires the GPU drivers to certify the board in question, something AMD seems to do and Nvidia just lacking a bit behind ( Their first 300.xx were all certified, then their subsequent releases they suddenly need to certify right and left, yeah right. ) afaik, they need to do the same with Z77 boards.

Yoritomo

Step 1: Build a setup to kill my current machine

Step 2: Build a machine that can actually power 3x 120Hz monitors.

Where did you find the Asus monitors?

I can't find them anywhere.

Well I guess that's incorrect, I can't find them anywhere without the 3d vision kit included. I think the VG236HE was discontinued (this was the sku without the vision kit).

It's alot of work but in the end worth it. and you should easily hit 4.5 on the 2600k.
Building a rig isn't hard for me, it was Part of my job few years ago. I'm mostly talking about getting everything into the PowerMac G5 case.
See, this is still confusing. Intel and Asus say USB 3.0 is part of the Z77 chipset and doesn't require IB like PCIe 3.0 does.

Expansion Slots:

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8, red) *2
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4 (black)
1 x mini-PCIe 2.0 x1 *3

Note: *2: PCIe3.0 speed is supported by Intel® 3rd generation Core™ Processors.

USB Ports Intel® Z77 chipset :

4 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z77 chipset :
8 x USB 2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, black+white, 4 at mid-board)
ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
2 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue)

nOaET.jpg

ParityBit

Mkenyon is correct/wise/etc...lol

I use Unigine/3dmark11 for the same reason to compare with others on this forum and other forums to ensure that my rig is hitting within the same ball park as others with similar systems. There will always be some stuff off, but if my scores, FPS come in within 5 fps of others that have the same exact set up then I know it is running fine..again this is on the GPU side.

For the CPU I generally use Prime95 and also RealTemp so monitor my temps. My general CPU Overclocking testing is havine Prime95, Real Temp, CPU -Z all up on the screen so I can monitor speed, voltages and temps as Prime does it's thing. I mainly look for temps to ensure that they dont go beyond what I prefer and if it does I dial back a bit and of course if it fails you will know it...lol

Thanks guys! I am really looking forward to building this rig. Last one I built was 2006 right before I started grad school. Heck, that was before I met and married my wife! Haha. Ow, now I feel old.

Yoritomo

I had one and had to drive to 2 different stores to get them. They were in store only, not available online so i guess nobody wanted to buy them.

I have 3 but I'm worried that the panel that drives all the 120 hz monitors is no longer being manufactured, which means if I lose a single monitor I'll no longer be able to play 3 x 120hz.

Why should I be worried? I have small children. The 1 year old has discovered that she can reach a monitor and likes to try and hit it with toys...

scogoth

I have 3 but I'm worried that the panel that drives all the 120 hz monitors is no longer being manufactured, which means if I lose a single monitor I'll no longer be able to play 3 x 120hz.

Why should I be worried? I have small children. The 1 year old has discovered that she can reach a monitor and likes to try and hit it with toys...

Re-purpose them to dual monitor for work setup and buy 3 new ones? Yes its expensive but thats triple monitor gaming I guess

I've upgraded the rest of my system, but the 6950 I'm using is still a reference design. The thing gets loud when the temperature passes 90 C. Is it worth my time to replace the heatsink/blower fan with a third party option?

MrBig

So fraps doesn't like Nvidia Surround, 3D and especially not 3D surround. Any recommendations on other programs to try?

A guy who was working on recording stuff on the korean 1440p monitors put out this tutorial, the system may work better than fraps in any scenario, if cumbersome to set up.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Due to a change in living situation I also need a wifi adapter for my main gaming rig, currently looking at either the
ASUS USB-N53
or
Rosewill RNX-N600UBE

leaning toward the rosewill one atm since it has larger antennas, my reception sucks in the part of the house I'm going to use it in. any thoughts/recommendations?

th3dude

Due to a change in living situation I also need a wifi adapter for my main gaming rig, currently looking at either the
ASUS USB-N53
or
Rosewill RNX-N600UBE

leaning toward the rosewill one atm since it has larger antennas, my reception sucks in the part of the house I'm going to use it in. any thoughts/recommendations?

Do you have an expansion slot open for a PCI card? I have a wifi card in a PCI-Ex1 slot and have no issues gaming on it.

Edit: I have one of these or similar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074

mkenyon

Banned
So fraps doesn't like Nvidia Surround, 3D and especially not 3D surround. Any recommendations on other programs to try?
Dxtory is the only recording program worth a damn. Going to be *huge* files though.
See, this is still confusing. Intel and Asus say USB 3.0 is part of the Z77 chipset and doesn't require IB like PCIe 3.0 does.
This is correct. You need IB for PCI-E 3.0, but not for USB 3.0.
Hate do this, but I'm really clueless when it comes to Motherboards and I would appreciate any suggestions.
ASUS Z77, pick a price point acceptable to you. The stuff that is more expensive than the xxxx-V can give you higher OC headroom, has better onboard sound, more SATA ports, stuff like that.

Ok so my requirements have totally changed with my new knowledge of streaming etc.

I just want Diablo 3 to run perfectly. I never want to experience lag no matter how many players/what is going on in the game. If I can achieve that, then the build is fine for me. Diablo 3 is the most important factor for me.

Tribes: Ascend performance comes purely secondary. On my current machine it is playable but a little laggy..and I enjoy it, so it can only get better, even if I don't reach 120fps. I plan on playing in 4:3 mode at a low res like 800x600 anyway. Don't like widescreen for FPS games.

So with that in mind, will my original build idea work (nice and cheap and the brands I trust is why I'm askin' again, with the new reqs)? Quoting it:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
RAM: 4gb Corsair
MOBO: ASUS AMD M5A97 AM3+
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 560 ti
PSU: CORSAIR HX650 650w

Total around $600. Can also up to 8gb ram if it will help.

Or is it just stupid to buy AMD at the moment period? If so, how does this look:

Total around $750. Fair bit more, but worth it if necessary.

I know my AMD loyalty is weird, just kinda 'scary' after buying nothing but AMD systems and not once having a problem with a build. :p

I guess either one is somewhat future proof and I can always change only mobo+cpu in the future if I desire, since the rest of my parts should be good (for the games I want to play) for a long time.

I had the same loyalty to AMD as you do. Mostly due to Intels criminal behavior during the Athlon 64 days.They couldn't make a better chip so they used money and influence to keep the better chip out of the market and prevent AMD from stealing mindshare.

But you've got to face the facts, Intels CPU's are far better now while AMD's R&D cant keep up. Maybe Intel killing AMD's profitability when they had the better chip hurt AMD's ability to finance better R&D. Maybe not. But the plain truth is that Intels chips are far better now.

mkenyon

Banned
Go with the second build, but with Hazaro's 6950. You're looking at a 15-20% performance boost with his over that 560Ti, plus you have more wiggle room with more VRAM. I was a pretty devout AMD guy before sandybridge too, but there's just no reason in sticking with AMD. With the 965, you're looking at a architecture that is 4-5 years old at this point. AMD has moved to low power and on-die GPU's for non-enthusiasts and have good products in that market. For pure performance, there's really no other choice.

ASUS Z77, pick a price point acceptable to you. The stuff that is more expensive than the xxxx-V can give you higher OC headroom, has better onboard sound, more SATA ports, stuff like that.

Looking for something in the $150ish range and looking at newegg I think I'll take the P8Z77-V LK over the P8Z77-V LX due to more USB 3.0 slots and it's only $5 more.

How much OCing headroom am I losing compared to the $200+ boards ?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I've upgraded the rest of my system, but the 6950 I'm using is still a reference design. The thing gets loud when the temperature passes 90 C. Is it worth my time to replace the heatsink/blower fan with a third party option?

That is not good at all friend. Up the fan speed manually when playing and make sure it never gets that high otherwise kiss your 6950 goodbye.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking for something in the $150ish range and looking at newegg I think I'll take the P8Z77-V LK over the P8Z77-V LX due to more USB 3.0 slots and it's only $5 more.

How much OCing headroom am I losing compared to the $200+ boards ?
It really depends on a combination of chip and motherboard lottery, and it's impossible to say for certain. Depending on your cooler, it's a variable between 4.3-4.8ghz. Buying a better board helps you control that variable a bit better, but it's always a crapshoot.

maks

My advice is to not go wireless.

I debated it for a while and decided that although I do play games, i don't do it competitively online. I think i'll be ok without the wire :)

Also, no I don't work for Bigfoot, but they DO have an mPCI-E WiFi version of the Killer NIC that will fit into the Maximus GENE V. I've heard it's pretty good but I'm sure the Intel board is pretty much the same. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, so I'm really interested in seeing what kind of results you get. Otherwise, you could also just stick with a a USB dongle and put an mSATA drive in there to keep your Sandisk free for other stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't seen that one yet but it does sound like it has great reception. Laptop wireless cards seem to really perform very well

Intel 6230 - 2 antennas with 300mb/s with bluetooth.
Intel 6300 - 3 antennas with 450mb/s no bluetooth.
Bigfoot 1102 - 2 antennas with 300mb/s no bluetooth.
Bigfoot 1103 - 3 antennas with 450mb/s no bluetooth.

It really depends on a combination of chip and motherboard lottery, and it's impossible to say for certain. Depending on your cooler, it's a variable between 4.3-4.8ghz. Buying a better board helps you control that variable a bit better, but it's always a crapshoot.

Well I was never going to do anything crazy with OCing since I haven't done it before, so I will probably stay on the moderate side for now.

When it comes to RAM, are 2 8GB sticks better than 4 4GB sticks ? and is there any preferred brand or just find the best deal and get it ?

maks

Intel 6230 802.11n (draft) Bluetooth 3.0 - Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Combo $25.70
Tyco Wifi & Bluetooth Antenna $8.49 NOT GOING TO WORK

SYSTEM SPECS
Intel 2600k
Asus Maximus V Gene z77
Radeon 5850
Hyper 212+ Evo
16gb Corsair Vengeance LP
120gb Sandisk Extreme SSD
Silverstone TJ08B

So i learned that an internal antenna won't work in this setup. I will need the following instead.

*Two IPX to SMA antenna cables
*Two external antennas

The maximus V gene kinda has two circular slots for me to mount my external antennas. This will be fun :)

Anustart

Any hope of HDD prices returning to normal in the fall, say around late september? I'm planning on building a new system in July, but don't want to be bent over on another 2tb HDD, so I'm planning on just getting a 120gb SSD to start with then hopefully get a new HDD in september if prices have returned to normal.

1-D_FTW

Any hope of HDD prices returning to normal in the fall, say around late september? I'm planning on building a new system in July, but don't want to be bent over on another 2tb HDD, so I'm planning on just getting a 120gb SSD to start with then hopefully get a new HDD in september if prices have returned to normal.

What do you mean by normal? I bought the Samsung 7200 RPM 1TB for 44.99. Are those the prices you want? Because I'm skeptical we'll ever see those again. Not with only Seagate and Western Digital as the only manufacturers left in the market.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Honestly, would have been really, really pissed if it was the 256-bit version. Pretty sure Amazon hasn't had that in stock for months, though.
It seemed to me from poking around the v2 is about the same even if based off the other chipset.
Dxtory?
Returning to how low they were? Doubtful.
What do you mean by normal? I bought the Samsung 7200 RPM 1TB for 44.99. Are those the prices you want? Because I'm skeptical we'll ever see those again. Not with only Seagate and Western Digital as the only manufacturers left in the market.
Yeah margins were so razor thing everyone dropped out and now we had to deal with this. Sucks because even the cheaper old HDDs are expensive.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So, I've finally decided to upgrade my MOBO, CPU, GPU and RAM. For the GPU I think I'll get the GTX680 (if I can find one) and for RAM, I'll get 16 GB DDR3 1600 (haven't decided on a brand yet or if to get a 2x8GB sticks or 4x4GB sticks)

CPU though, I think I'm getting the IB 3570K, as far as I've read the IB's heat&power problems compared to the SB don't start until you reach 4.8GHz and above, and while I'll be losing my OC virginity with this build I don't think I'll try to reach those high numbers, so unless the 2500K got other advantages over the 3570K, I think I'll get the Ivy Bridge.

When it comes to MOBOs though I really have no clue, so I'm hoping some of the fine folks here will help me choose one.

so in summary I'll be getting:

GPU: GTX680
CPU: 3570K (unless the SB has something better that I don't know about besides better OCing)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 (don't know which brand yet)
Motherboard: Don't know yet

As for my PSU it's a Gigabyte GE-P610A-C2, 610W with 720W peak wattage (don't know what that means), so I hope it will be enough for now.
No one rates PSU's at peak anymore. That's a 610W supply.

IB problems imo start at 4.5Ghz area, but depends on your chip. It's going past 1.10/1.15V that hurts you.

Mobo depends on your budget, but from looking at your parts I'd say look at the Asus P8Z77-V as a baseline then decide if you need more or less features. Just running the hardware you are running and wanting a steady OC I'm a fan of more power regs, which they gimp on their lower models as you go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom