• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and Worst Anime Revivals

Wow, have anything to back up that opinion mate?
Nothing gets worse than this man...
RecklessSourAfricanjacana.gif

giphy.webp

Gulz1992

This killed me man. Just awful!

I haven't watched any of it.

So like did the original flop in japan? How could this not get a decent budget.

Budget wasn't the problem. It presumably had about the same budget as One Punch Man à la an average anime budget. The problem is that it was made by people completely inexperienced and unqualified for the project.

Budget wasn't the problem. It presumably had about the same budget as One Punch Man à la an average anime budget. The problem is that it was made by people completely inexperienced and unqualified for the project.
I don't even know why people assume it was a budget problem. They lacked talent. They had a higher budget than Inferno Cop and still managed to make something worse.

Fj0823

I'm still disappointed in the latest DBSuper battles (like the last 10 episodes) but here's hoping they're saving the best choreography for the end.

Still sucks I have to constantly remind myself to completely forget power levels because their opponents seem weaker than Super Saiyan 1.

With the exception of the entire universe 9 team (mostly to overkill them), Dyspo and Kale who are strong opponent's, he hasn't used his God Powers or Super Saiyan on anyone, he's just having the time of his life while everyone else's is in danger lol.

KoopaTheCasual

Wait hold up, they remade Yamato 2199...?

My one hang up about trying to watch it (despite incredibly high praise) was that it was really really old and hard to find.

When did it come out? Where the fuck have I been?

FnordChan

I'd like to nominate Musekinin Galaxy Tylor as a truly awful remake. Admittedly, it's sort of an apples to bullshit comparison, since Irresponsible Captain Tylor is a stone cold classic series in the 26 episodes (plus OVA) vein, whereas Musekinin Galaxy Tylor is a three minute gag show, but it still sucks uncontrollably. But, don't take my word for it: Watch Episode 5 and judge for yourselves.

On a more positive note, while not as awesome as, say, the recent Yamato shows or various Gundam UC series, I'd like to give Trigun: Badlands Rumble a shout-out. I had lots of fun revisiting the series with that flick.

FnordChan

tuffy

My one hang up about trying to watch it (despite incredibly high praise) was that it was really really old and hard to find.

It came out in 2012-2013 across 7 Blu Rays in Japan with English subtitles. There's now a complete Blu Ray box.

A company publishing it North America under the "Star Blazers 2199" title eventually just stopped releasing them - probably because their audience would rather import expensive sub-only discs from Japan than wait for expensive sub-only discs to release domestically months later.

Yamato 2199/2202/etc is the best, probably. JoJo didn't have much in the way of anime before DP so I don't know if I'd call it a revival, but if we are, then that's right up there as well. Berserk is unequivocally the worst. For a while, Fridays consisted of both Diamond is Unbreakable and Berserk, and I would always watch Berserk to reach new lows, before watching DiU, for the ultimate high.

Yamato 2199/2202/etc is the best, probably. JoJo didn't have much in the way of anime before DP so I don't know if I'd call it a revival, but if we are, then that's right up there as well. Berserk is unequivocally the worst. For a while, Fridays consisted of both Diamond is Unbreakable and Berserk, and I would always watch Berserk to reach new lows, before watching DiU, for the ultimate high.
This is exactly what I did. No way in fuck was I going to watch DiU first and have Berserk drain my high to the depths of suicide.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

It came out in 2012-2013 across 7 Blu Rays in Japan with English subtitles. There's now a complete Blu Ray box.

A company publishing it North America under the "Star Blazers 2199" title eventually just stopped releasing them - probably because their audience would rather import expensive sub-only discs from Japan than wait for expensive sub-only discs to release domestically months later.

There is also a sequel to Yamato 2199 running at the moment (movies) which is called Yamato 2202.

Ushay

Worst - BERSERK by a country mile. Not even a competition. They are literally writing the handbook on how not to adapt a beloved franchise/manga.

Utter pile of shite, makes me furious just thinking about it.

Loona

I only became aware of it upon playing Super Robot Wars V, which features it - I got to see the old show, so it was surprising seeing how they bumped the female cast, for example - I wonder what other major differences and improvements were applied, beyond technical stuff.

LayLa

As others have said Yamato 2199 remake was excellent, a textbook example of how to revitalise a long dormant anime. The US Blu Ray release by a company seemingly still living in the 90s was disastrous however, one facepalm decision after another.
Mushishi coming back for a second season after 9 years in the wilderness was a welcome surprise, here's hoping the Kino revival coming next season does a similar good job.
I'm a bit nervous about the LOGH remake coming next year, Production IG usually do good work though so hopefully they can stick the landing.

theclaw135

Banned
Urusei Yatsura Always My Darling isn't unwatchable or anything, but a pointless cash in that backfired. Releasing AFTER the final chapter with an awkward art style change did it no favors.

kewlmyc

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Hunxer x Hunter 2011 are probably the most consistently good revivals.

Super has been spotty in some spots and I wasn't a fan of Resurrection F, yet Battle of the Gods is probably my favorite DBZ related piece of media.

Berserk 2016-17 deserves do burn in a fire for potentially burning the bridge on any good adaption of that material for at least a decade.

-In manly baritone voice-
Saraba chikyuu yo tabidatsu fune wa
Uchuu senkan.................YAMATO!

Go Watch Starblazers/Yamato 2199. Absolutely fantastic retelling of the original.

Berserk is shockingly awful. I knew it was bad, but I hadn't seen so much evidence of it before. What a shit show, especially when you compare it to the manga.

Berserk 2017 I doubt anything will ever be as bad if they even tried which shattered my mind that it even got a season 2 . Has the author said anything about it how awful it is?

Gulz1992

Berserk 2017 I doubt anything will ever be as bad if they even tried which shattered my mind that it even got a season 2 . Has the author said anything about it how awful it is?

The only thing he's said about it is that he was watching it every week as it aired. That's it. He made no mention on the quality or said if he likes it. The fact that he did not praise it tells me that he has no praise give it. Keep in mind that Japanese culture places great value on being respectful to others and it's uncommon to hear an author say anything negative about an adaptation of their work. Miura (the author) is also a very modest, polite guy. The closest we've gotten to his reaction on the adaptations of Berserk are through his friend and fellow mangaka Chika Umino's Twitter, in which she said Miura had "a strange look" on his face while watching the first movie.

Fj0823

The only thing he's said about it is that he was watching it every week as it aired. That's it. He made no mention on the quality or said if he likes it. The fact that he did not praise it tells me that he has no praise give it. Keep in mind that Japanese culture places great value on being respectful to others and it's uncommon to hear an author say anything negative about an adaptation of their work. Miura (the author) is also a very modest, polite guy. The closest we've gotten to his reaction on the adaptations of Berserk are through his friend and fellow mangaka Chika Umino's Twitter, in which she said Miura had "a strange look" on his face while watching the first movie.

Huh, guess Toriyama is an exception. He was quite unhappy with the Dragon Ball Super movie retellings

Best: FMA Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter 2011, Yamato.

The worst is definitely Berserk 2016/2017. The Rurouni Kenshin New Kyoto Arc OVAs are also pretty bad.

Nuu

Banned
The Rebuild Eva movies were just "okay" until the 3.0 which is actually really good and ballsy.

BLrF25N.gif

In case the comment wasn't sarcasm.

I thought the point of using 3D instead of 2D was that it's cheaper and thus will lead to more animated scenes?

JC Lately

Crystal opened my eyes to the truth. I think Sailor Moon was never really good, not until the original TV adaptation that added all that character to the scouts. Yes, the filler is what made Sailor Moon.

Came to post this. Crystal is so hollow. You never once believe these girls even like each other, let alone willing to fight and die for Usagi. They're barely even characters, just saucer-eyed automotons that occasionally shoot energy at the equally hollow villains.

At least they made Usagi's relationship with Mamoru less statutory rape-y.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

He actually wrote one of the episodes and I believe had a bit more of a hand in the 2016 anime but all in all it seems like he had little to do with it. He mentioned watching week to week but who know's what that means. Honestly its hard to tell much of anything about Miura considering what a recluse he tends to be.

We can throw Gundam Unicorn on that pyre as well.
Unicorn being bad is an opinion pretty much solely held in the Toonami thread.
He actually wrote one of the episodes and I believe had a bit more of a hand in the 2016 anime but all in all it seems like he had little to do with it. He mentioned watching week to week but who know's what that means. Honestly its hard to tell much of anything about Miura considering what a recluse he tends to be.
He probably just had it on as background noise while he was cooking.

Daingurse

Hunter x Hunter

The original 1999 anime, and Greed Island OVAs were among my favorite shonen anime series back in the day. The 2011 adaptation which was able to cover more of the story, is my favorite anime series of all time, bar none. It's the only anime series that has been able to match and exceed my love for DBZ, a show that I will always be EXTREMELY biased towards.

Came to post this. Crystal is so hollow. You never once believe these girls even like each other, let alone willing to fight and die for Usagi. They're barely even characters, just saucer-eyed automotons that occasionally shoot energy at the equally hollow villains.

At least they made Usagi's relationship with Mamoru less statutory rape-y.

I distinctly remember there's a moment in Crystal where they finally have enough of the girls together to discuss who should be leader.

Luna pretty much just goes ¯_(ツ)_/¯ well Usagi joined first so I guess she's leader.

So flaccid and lame.

Wood Man

Yatterman Night was a good revival of a kids show with a very dark turn. Shame the final episode was poorly done, but as a whole I enjoyed it.

tumblr_ni1b0sbZza1rmc8dco7_500.gif

labx

Banned
....weird selecion of gold cloths

and LOL at the boobs and butt pose for shun xD

Why? those gold cloths are the ones that they used to fight Thanatos and Hypnos.

edit:

Best

Dragon Ball Super
Saint Seiya Omega

Worst

With pain in my soul: Berserk.
Evangelion.

GunBR

As a huge Evangelion fan, the Rebuild is the best for me

If you already watched the show, the first one is an amazing resume of the story. The second one has everything I loved about the show and it really looks a new story and not a abridged version of the anime like 1.0
3.0 has a bunch of stupid things in the plot and it builds up to a climax that never happens, but I enjoy the fact that it's 100% original story (even if it was way better if instead of this they just remade End of Evangelion)

And Berserk is the worst, easy
I just can hope that 10 years from now (after the manga gets another 2 tankobon) the series can get a good adaptation

Top Bottom