• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Realyst

Just received my third 4K Blu Ray today, The Revenant. So far I have bought and watched Mad Max: Fury Road and Goodfellas. Excited to watch this one tonight. Mad Max was mighty impressive.

The Revenant is an excellent transfer. You're in for a treat!

F34R

E02zvC3.jpg

Mine. :)

rothgar

Fry's has the LG UP970 player for $140. I want to jump on it, but I'm reading a lot complaints of it's drive being very noisy. Any body want to give their two cents on this player?

-griffy-

Banned
Fry's has the LG UP970 player for $140. I want to jump on it, but I'm reading a lot complaints of it's drive being very noisy. Any body want to give their two cents on this player?

I just got one last week from Amazon, it is a May build and I haven't noticed the drive being noisy. People seem to think if you get a May or later build it's better. You can see the build month right on the outside of the box by the UPC.

J_Viper

Best Buy is listing the Spider-man Legacy Collection 4K steelbook for 10/17. 12 discs in total. Looks like the 7 disc Blu-ray steelbook release with the five UHD discs added in.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/spider...ray-blu-ray-steelbook/6036306.p?skuId=6036306

Guessing we'll see Homecoming release around then.

Hopefully they release these individually so I can grab the Raimi films on their own.

Not really feeling that Steel covert art either. Thankfully, the Homecoming one is gorgeous.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I just got one last week from Amazon, it is a May build and I haven't noticed the drive being noisy. People seem to think if you get a May or later build it's better. You can see the build month right on the outside of the box by the UPC.

yup, get a newer build and you should be ok

mm04

Did you order from best buy too? I got mine Sat I was surprised.

I just realized I had my pre-order set for in store pickup. I guess that means I can't actually go get it until tomorrow?

Good news! Your item is ready to pick up from EASTVALE CA

Hmmm...

Any of you guys have 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 Atmos setups? Worth it?

I have a 5.1.2 and it made a pretty nice difference. The upmixing for 5.1 content is nice in some things, too (Overwatch announcer is everywhere!) but it shines on true Atmos mixed stuff. I know opinions on the movie are varied, but Terminator Genisys has a damned good mix for it.

Cake Boss

Banned
Any good 5.1 set ups you guys recommend for a guy looking to upgrade over the crappy sound coming from the TV? I was looking at the Vizio 5.1 soundbar system and the Monoprice 5.1 system.

Any decent budget options that will be somewhat future proof with Atmos or anything coming up?

Any good 5.1 set ups you guys recommend for a guy looking to upgrade over the crappy sound coming from the TV? I was looking at the Vizio 5.1 soundbar system and the Monoprice 5.1 system.

Any decent budget options that will be somewhat future proof with Atmos or anything coming up?

I use the Sony STRDH550 5.2 receiver. You'll need to get separate speakers for it. I got mine back in March for $115 open box at a local Best Buy. Original retail price was $250.

I've been using the same old speakers from some 15+ year old Sony sound system with it, but the audio difference using this new system is significant and immediately noticeable. I love it! I've used a bunch of stuff from Demo World and The Digital Theater to try it out, and it always puts a huge smile on my face, and I just feel like a little kid on Christmas morning!

It doesn't support Dolby Atmos, but as far as I know, that requires more speakers (ceiling ones, or ones aimed to bounce off the ceiling), so it would make no difference from what I've read. Dolby Atmos tracks will play like regular Dolby TrueHD tracks, which still sound phenomenal.

Don't get a soundbar. If you want to stay inexpensive, take a look at Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. If you have a Fry's Electronics near you, they go on sale frequently. Then figure out how much you want to spend on a receiver and people can recommend based on that.

How is gits? As a movie (love the original film, never seen the show that followed)) and as a uhd film? Good use of hdr id hope?

Westonian

Don't get a soundbar. If you want to stay inexpensive, take a look at Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. If you have a Fry's Electronics near you, they go on sale frequently. Then figure out how much you want to spend on a receiver and people can recommend based on that.
I'd actually go with the Jones Elac series over the Pioneer. They are a tremendous value, especially the floor standing models, which I always recommend if you have the space and a cool wife/girlfriend.

Definitely get a receiver and separates instead of a sound bar. Even cheap ass speakers will sound amazing after just your tv, and you can piecemeal your upgrading after that.

Westonian

$140 for the Pioneer floorstanding (if you can find them any more) or about $280 for the Elac F5. So yeah, twice the price but still an amazing value for a pair ($560) of full range speakers. Hell, you could throw them with a decent receiver even without the center channel as a stereo setup it will blow any soundbar or of the water. You can then add additional speakers when you can afford it to create a killer surround setup.

Cake Boss

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely look at doing that type of set up. Will start with the Pioneer floor standing ones. Those look sexy as hell.

gsrjedi

I was able to order GOTG 4K steelbook for store pick up this morning at my local BB.

Anyone know why GOTG Vol 2 4K isn't available on Amazon Canada?

Disney & Amazon are having a feud. Amazon hasn't had new Disney movies for preorder for a while now. You may have to wait a day or two before Amazon starts selling them.

I just realized I had my pre-order set for in store pickup. I guess that means I can't actually go get it until tomorrow?

Good news! Your item is ready to pick up from EASTVALE CA

Hmmm...

I ordered mine from Best buy and it was supposed to be delivered today. Got a delay text last night. Gonna go pick up a copy from the same store you are getting yours from

I was able to order GOTG 4K steelbook for store pick up this morning at my local BB.

Disney & Amazon are having a feud. Amazon hasn't had new Disney movies for preorder for a while now. You may have to wait a day or two before Amazon starts selling them.

Did you ever have the same issues doing in store pickup for preorders as I have? It's probably my local BBs but I can never preorder anything for store pickup until the day of because the site refuses to show any availability at the store. I managed to get mine in at 12:30 last night before going to bed, but jeez.

Stanng243

In case anyone cares, Flixster US is shutting down on the 28th. That will render certain UHD codes from Lionsgate and Warner Brothers unable to redeem in UHD anywhere currently.

gsrjedi

Did you ever have the same issues doing in store pickup for preorders as I have? It's probably my local BBs but I can never preorder anything for store pickup until the day of because the site refuses to show any availability at the store. I managed to get mine in at 12:30 last night before going to bed, but jeez.

Yep, seems to be a problem with the BB exclusives. Right now I can pickup the regular Wonder Woman UHD, but not the steelbook. I can pickup the steel for POTC 5. I guess it's possible if you order far enough ahead, then they maybe wait to see store allocations.

If you'd bought the 4K you'd be future-proofed as it comes with a regular Blu.
I know. I thought about it. My younger brother was the one that picked it up for us from his store, though. I don't even know if they had the 4K version. He'd probably want to save money, anyway.

I might pick up the Terminator 2 4K combo pack, but it'll depend on how it turns out. I already own the movie twice (Ultimate Edition DVD and the last Blu-ray release), so if I'm picking it up a third time, might as well get a new format.

Also been debating which version of Wonder Woman to get...4K combo pack, or the Target digibook Blu-ray.

Westonian

I was able to order the 4K/3D steelbook from Best Buy for in store pickup at 6 AM this morning. It's a good thing I did because I got there right when it opened and they were already sold.

I also got my three B&N 50% off Criterion discs in the mail at work today:
Fantastic Mr. Fox
To Be or Not to Be
Moonrise Kingdom

Side question: Does anyone here have experience with SVS Prime Elevation speakers in an Atmos setup? I can't install ceiling height speakers, so these would have to do.

Yep, seems to be a problem with the BB exclusives. Right now I can pickup the regular Wonder Woman UHD, but not the steelbook. I can pickup the steel for POTC 5. I guess it's possible if you order far enough ahead, then they maybe wait to see store allocations.

Yeah, it's made it dicey to get steelbooks lately because after a few of them had REALLY large print runs and didn't sell a whole lot of them by comparison (Force Awakens), it feels like they've been cutting back on some studios' releases. I know I missed out on the Logan 4K steelbook because I tried to preorder it when I got up that morning and it was already not available at any of the 6+ Best Buy stores in town.

thankfully my store has my GOTG2 4k Steelbook on hold for me to pick up after work.

Got the regular 4K GotG2 today.. totally forgot to preorder the steelbook, and then totally forgot to get there early today to try for some.. they said there was a line around the corner for them..

Really?

What was so special about the steelbook anyway? I quasi-wanted the 3D version, but I honestly don't watch 3D stuff ever anymore.

Either way, looking forward to seeing the movie, as I skipped it in theaters.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How is gits? As a movie (love the original film, never seen the show that followed)) and as a uhd film? Good use of hdr id hope?

I thought the movie was kinda blah and unfortunately the UHD didn't blow me away either. I was expecting great use of HDR but the movie was pretty muted looking to me for the most part. There were a few great looking scenes but overall it's not an especially impressive 4K disc.

Top Bottom