• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Gamefly Members on GAF?

Are you happy with your membership? I've heard the ship times tend to be long and it can be hard to get the most popular games for a very long time after release? Have things improved?

I did a trial month, which was slow as hell on shipping. I got a subscription month later. I rented one game, and they sent me ones that were cracked in half two times in a row. Receiving and sending back took up a lot of the time for the subscription month. They wouldnt reimburse me with time added to my subscription. Cancelled so damn fast

Chucker

I did $5 for 2 months. It takes about 3 days for a game to get to them, and another 3 for it to get to me and it's only an hour drive from the nearest shipping location.

Also! I had Doom, then Uncharted, then Turtles, then Devil's Third on my Q.

They sent Devils Third. I returned it right away because I forgot I had it on there, 6 days wasted.

agc

I usually get my games within 2 days of them mailing it out, unless it's from a different distribution center. Then I have a 50/50 chance of Fast Return being activated when I mail it back (I guess the USPS doesn't always scan it? I'm not sure)

As for big releases, I usually just empty my queue and only leave that release in there and about 90% of the time I get them right away. I added DOOM after the fact though and still had that shipped to me a few days after release.

I did a trial month, which was slow as hell on shipping. I got a subscription month later. I rented one game, and they sent me ones that were cracked in half two times in a row. Receiving and sending back took up a lot of the time for the subscription month. They wouldnt reimburse me with time added to my subscription. Cancelled so damn fast

Same thing happened to me on two separate titles! I swear they just sent me back the exact same broken game I reported to them. Was definitely disappointed with the service. Chalked it up to random bad luck on my part, but it seems like they make a habit out of it.

Buying a "new" game for $40-45 bucks was awesome back before Gamer's Club existed.

Nowadays, I never feel like I was getting my money's worth with GameFly, if I wanted to play a new game, I was going to just buy it because I didn't want to wait a few days. Still buy stuff from their sales though.

If I went back to renting I would probably just use Redbox

kennyamr

I did $5 for 2 months. It takes about 3 days for a game to get to them, and another 3 for it to get to me and it's only an hour drive from the nearest shipping location.

They sent Devils Third. I returned it right away because I forgot I had it on there, 6 days wasted.

pretty much this. i tried subscribing a few times to them... and it's always the same result.

For a while there was a 3 day shipping time for every game. Awesome. Got a PS3 late in the life cycle so there were a ton of games I wanted to try. I moved and the 3 day shipping stayed the same. Moved again, and it turned into 5-6 days waiting. Same sending back. That extra 2-3 days makes a big difference for a monthly service. Once all you have is new or highly desired games, you can wait a week and a half for a new game from them. Wish the shipping didn't change.

Membership Start Date: Jun 4, 2007

Wait times can be long if you don't manage your Q to get a game shipped at release but overall the amount of money i've saved just renting games is worth it to me.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's perfect if you are one of those people who can play through a game in a week and don't mind getting games a few days after release.

Swass

Just cancelled after 4 years of service.. I have too much backlog now and tired of feeling stress to play the rentals over the games I have on my shelf.. I may join back up again in a year or 2..

Pro tip, buy the 3 month gift card for yourself.. it's $36.50 for 3 months and 2 out where the regular price is $22.95 for 1 month. Basically saving you over $30.

Akainu

New releases are almost impossible to get. Devils 3rd? That's all on you.

I've got like 3 accounts that i used for free membership. Then i cancel them and get back on for those dollar renewals.

I used it for like 4-5 years, but recently quit because having kids means I couldn't ever find time to play through a game fast enough for it to be worth it.

That said, using the 3-month gift card to yourself trick makes it only like 9 bucks for 1 game out a month and they give you a $5 gift card to use in their store quarterly and 10% off used games if you are a member for a year... It can actually be a pretty good deal.

You have to actually take advantage of that stuff though for it to work. If you do though, even just renting one game a month will come out to a pretty good savings.

I have had GF for a 3-4 years now and I love it. I rarely have issues with shipping (A few lost games here and there, but they resolved it quickly once I reported it). I think I GF'd over 20 games last year and most were in the first week of availability.

I have the 2 disc monthly package and I typically get singleplayer only games or games that I want to play but don't necessarily want to buy. Usually it is a 5 day turn around IF it is available (Send it in Monday have new game by Friday/Saturday. Obviously it sucks when a game you want isn't available so it better for games that are a few months older.

Also clearing your queue and only having the game you want on there will help raise your chances of getting them at launch (I got Dark Souls 3 and Overwatch on launch week for instance, but missed out on Quantum Break...which lead to getting DS3 so it wasn't too bad ;) )

Anyway, I really love GF and have had a great experience with it. would definitely recommend it to anyone. Especially people who don't replay games often (Or want to play tons of games but not spend so much money on them per month)

Ship times are long but 40$ total for 2 games out at a time for 3 months (gift card deal on their website) is a steal. I save so much money renting single player games. Redbox library is crazy limited.

I'm glad I was able to use it to try out some games without that $40-60 outlay, but... Given the amount of downtime wasted with shipping, I'd much rather just play what I already own and wait for these games to get cheap. Even if it means less active multiplayer.

DigtialT

I used to be, plan to reup my membership once I got the funds in line. I loved it, it was perfect for someone like me who rarely replayed games and mainly only played single player, so I rent 2 of the newest games, play them in a week, return them for less then $25 a month. Great value, and typically the shipping time was only about 3-4 days for me, though it dependent on how close you are to one of their shipping centers.

Edit: Getting new releases also was easy as pie, all you had to do was put the game you want on your queue BEFORE it comes out, like as soon as you possibly can (basically the moment gamefly has it in it's system, make sure the game is somewhere on your queue)

Swass

New releases are almost impossible to get. Devils 3rd? That's all on you.

I've got like 3 accounts that i used for free membership. Then i cancel them and get back on for those dollar renewals.

New releases are easy to get if you game the system. Basically return a game a week before release to free up your rental slot and clear your queue except for the new release so nothing else gets sent out.. you will get a new release 100% of the time.

I've used it on and off for years. Nothing has ever taken longer than 3 days max to ship to me when it's available and I am totally satisfied with their communication. The one time something got lost in the mail they sent another one my way with no issues.

Their prices when you decide to buy something you've rented are great and so are the coupons you get. As far as new games are concerned I think your mileage will vary but they sent me Uncharted 4 as soon as it released.

Just cancelled after 4 years of service.. I have too much backlog now and tired of feeling stress to play the rentals over the games I have on my shelf.. I may join back up again in a year or 2..

Pro tip, buy the 3 month gift card for yourself.. it's $36.50 for 3 months and 2 out where the regular price is $22.95 for 1 month. Basically saving you over $30.

Yep, same for me. Cancelled it about 2 months ago after being with them for years. I realized I did a bit more gaming on pc than console and console games I wanted were few and far between. They were good for me when I used them. Always managed to get new releases in a timely manner and never really a problem with shipping times.

DigtialT

New releases are easy to get if you game the system. Basically return a game a week before release to free up your rental slot and clear your queue except for the new release so nothing else gets sent out.. you will get a new release 100% of the time.

Don't even need to do all that, just add games you are interested in to your queue before their release date. I would typically have games on my queue that wouldn't come out for months, cause the longer you have it in there the farther up the list you are when it eventually gets shipped.

atomsk

Party Pooper
member since 2009, ship times used to be better (used to be 2 days from PA to NJ, now it's 3, sometimes 4)

as long as you manage your queue with unreleased games, they're good about shipping out the new stuff, I've only had that fail a handful of times in 7 years.

been on the 2 game plan for about a year now since I mostly use it for my youtube channel, otherwise I would have gone bankrupt trying to cover all the hot new releases years ago.

literally my only complaint is that on super rare occasions games don't show up for a week, but I have the feeling that's more my local USPS in my housing development than anything else.

FaintDeftone

I've tried subscribing twice and it wasn't a good experience each time. The long shipping times suck up most of your time each month. Plus you basically have to trick the system into giving you new releases by removing everything from your queue but that one game you want and you'll get it if you're lucky. The only thing I really liked was the solid preowned purchase deals they had.

Not a fan.

Akainu

I've had nothing in my q save new releases and still get jack.

Anyone ever have a game come in from gamefly without the disc in the envelope? The envelope was open from the side and only the protector was inside (no disc or sleeve). Just wondering if this has happened to any gamefly member.

Anyone ever have a game come in from gamefly without the disc in the envelope? The envelope was open from the side and only the protector was inside (no disc or sleeve). Just wondering if this has happened to any gamefly member.

Across my subscription with GF I probably rented 30 games. At least 7 of them never made it to me or back to them.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Just don't get Wii U games. They sent two Bayonetta 2 that didn't work and then the third finally did. Then I tried to play Captain Toad and both copies I got were broken as well.

Atlas157

I used to be very happy with the service, now I'm pissed off.

I added Tokyo Mirage Sessions to my Q, they shipped it last Friday, and it still hasn't arrived. I don't know if I should be mad at Gamefly or USPS, so I'm mad at both right now.

holtlegna

Banned
I enjoyed their service but since i hardly had time to play the games i stopped my sub. But overall good experience

Vengal

I used it to try to rent Tales of Legendia but it kept getting stolen somewhere between the post office and my house. After three attempts my house was flagged as dangerous and I couldn't use the service anymore. Silly stuff really no idea who wanted three copies of that game but they got it.

This was years ago though so I don't know what the service is like now.

I used it to try to rent Tales of Legendia but it kept getting stolen somewhere between the post office and my house. After three attempts my house was flagged as dangerous and I couldn't use the service anymore. Silly stuff really no idea who wanted three copies of that game but they got it.

This was years ago though so I don't know what the service is like now.

Oh man that sucks! So they sent you 2 more after you asked for replacements? (New member that's why I'm asking so many questions)

Gator86

Still the best value in gaming if you go through the gift certificate option. With that and PS Plus/Games with Gold, you could comfortably go years without buying a game, if so inclined.

DiscoJer

I belonged to it for a few years back during the PSP-360 days. Liked it a lot and would often end up buying the games I rented. I rarely wanted to play the latest AAA games though.

I never had a game go missing, but I did have a broken one once.

Been using the service off and on since it was fairly new.

The shipping times gotten longer and have waited few weeks even a month or 2 for new release to ship.
Before i receive games in two days and several games on release date.

Overall for $15 a month( for 1 game ) its a great service.

Meier

I've been subbed mostly all the time for 9 years now apparently. Definitely cuts down on the number of games I buy which I appreciate.

I use them a couple a times every year when I want to really try out a game before buying.

Takes 3-4 days to ship, takes me 3-4 days to beat game. Repeat. Depending on how long the game takes, I can take out about 5 games a month, which is not bad for $15.

The most positive experience I've had with them is buying their used games at low prices, and the case and disc come LIKE NEW. Everytime I've done this, I really recommend their used game sales.

Member since 2010.
Love it, I played almost all new/old games thanks to it. Usually 2-4 days wait time in LA. Really depends from where they send the games.
Recent Example, I got Lego SW Force Awakens in Wedns from an LA site but I got Zero Time Dilemma in Friday from a Philadelphia site.

-MD-

I've used Gamefly on and off since like 2004.

Once a game ships it takes like 3 days to get to me, the problem is the downtime between shipping a game back and receiving a new one which is usually 6-7 days total. A 2 game plan fixes that issue though as you can send one game back while you play the other, though it's only really worth it if you think you can finish 3+ games a month.

I recently re-subbed and got to play through Uncharted 4 and Ratchet for $15, can't really beat that.

when I first got gamefly I would literally, not exaggerating, get the next game the next day. 1 day wait time. Sometimes 2. In my summer break I had beaten every game i had even a passing interest in, in 3 months. It was great.

I got it again last year for 2 months and it was about a 4 day wait between each game! And im only an hour from their shipping center! Wouldve kept longer since i make money now but not at those speeds.

TripOpt55

Been using it for a couple of years now. I love it and wish I'd have joined sooner. I play way more games than I used to now and don't spend as much on the habit (I still buy some, but overall the cost is lower now). I use the gift certificate thing, so it is about $13 per month for two games out at a time. Pretty much only keep unreleased games in my queue. I'd say I get maybe 90 percent of the new game releases I try to get at launch because of that. Just need to make sure you have a slot open. I do miss the two-day ship times I had at first. Things have moved to three (sometimes four) for me, but with two games out at a time I almost always have something around to play while waiting for the other game to ship/arrive.

Past year or so, I got all of these games at launch (or within a few days because of ship times):

Kirby Planet Robobot
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan
Doom
Twilight Princess HD
Far Cry Primal
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
WWE 2K16
Yoshi's Woolly World
Super Mario Maker
Tearaway Unfolded
Until Dawn
Batman: Arkham Knight

Plus some blu-rays. Only release I remember trying to get within the past year and not getting right away was Quantum Break. If you miss out on that initial release rental, you do have to wait a bit sometimes. Anyway, my point is it is very possible to get lots of new releases, you just need to handle your queue right. Then of course, I just fill gaps between new releases I want to rent with older games I missed.

Anyone experiencing weird wait times with GF? I resubbed a couple days ago, and no games have shipped, despite a couple of high availability titles being in my queue, like Uncharted 4 and No Man's Sky.

Anyone experiencing weird wait times with GF? I resubbed a couple days ago, and no games have shipped, despite a couple of high availability titles being in my queue, like Uncharted 4 and No Man's Sky.

They have different warehouses around the country, so not everyone is going to have the same problems.

Mine have been consistently arriving 2-3 days after shipping.

blakep267

Seems fine to me. I resubbed on Monday since it was $1. They shipped battle born on tuesday( there wasn't a ton that I wanted to play)

Warablo

If I am lucky it gets here in 3 days. Being if it ships Monday morning it will be here Wednesday. Lately the shipping and receiving has been iffy and inconsistent, but overall is a great service.

Also some mail carriers scan your Gamefly package which in-turn lets Gamefly to send a new game right away, but I think most of the mail carriers don't scan them or don't have the equipment. It rarely happens for me.

Just gotta make sure you got a spot open if you want a new release on release day.

Had it awhile back and thought it was ok. Pretty slow. But it works out since I'm not actually going to finish the game in a day or two.

Just signed up again as they had a $1 first month promo (2 discs out at one time). Gonna use it mainly for blu rays as I can get those in and out within a day. Might throw a game or two on there as well.

I will be cancelling once the month is over however.

Persona7

Banned
The shipping was very quick and they ship your next game before they get the one you sent back because of the system they use where they can see when USPS scans the bar code to return it.

Game availability is the only issue, with new titles but I guess that is expected.

Top Bottom