• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here gaming for less than 5 hours a week?

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I used to play games 24/7 until I started a 50 hour a week night shift job a few months ago so now I just play csgo a couple of nights a week with my friends.

Weeks I can game more than five hours are becoming rarer and rarer. A job, kids and other hobbies really can put you down.. It's sad to know I will never get around to finishing all these wonderful RPGs released in the last few years like Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity. I feel sad knowing Torment will release soon. My gaming has been reduced to indie titles I can enjoy in short bursts..

The times I've had limited time to play games, I'd usually just go with a binge session once a week or once every few weeks.

Just have say, one night a week where I can play something for 2-4 hours in one sitting.
I couldn't get into games if I could only play them for 30 minutes at a time like some of you. Especially multiplayer games, I'd never be able to "git gud" at them

Im definitely in the 1-2hr range. I have a 10mo baby and im a husband. House duties and the baby keep me very occupied. These days, it seems like a chore to turn on my PS4. Most of the time when I play games, i have the baby in my lap and that is super distracting cuz he want to squirm and grab the controller, I might as well not even bother to play.

When I get home, Im exhausted. I change from my work clothes, get the baby fed and prep/cook dinner if there aren't any leftovers to eat, then clean the kitchen and anything else so my wife doesnt complain when she gets home.

When i go to my 'man cave', i end up getting on my PC going to GiantBomb and watching videos.
It sucks b/c i built out my room just for the purpose of playing games. TV is on the wall, i have my speaker cables in the wall and ceiling, my AV gear is in the closet all hidden away and i have a decent 5.1 setup and...it just sits there. So depressing. All I do is go to work, pick up my baby from the in-laws (they babysit), go home, cook/clean, sleep, repeat.

My wife tells me that i can have "Me time", but I dont want to be selfish.

With that said, I hope the Switch can get me back into gaming more. I have a daily train ride to and from work, and i have a pretty chill workplace. I have a pretty private and spacious work area and i keep the lights dim. Perfect for playing some games if i want to.

If I'm playing on handhelds I manage more, console/PC is around 5 hours, yeah.
I play a lot of rpgs too, Cold Steel took me half a year to beat...

Pretty much yeah. It takes a great game to pull me in these days, and this gen has been very poor so far imo. Plus I spend a lot of my spare home time either playing poker or working on my own game in Unity.

The main game I play is Virtual Pool 4, a few things on the ipad and then whenever a great AAA game releases, which isn't often.

Also I have a demanding Mrs which takes up a lot of my free time!

geardo

I manage to put in around 5-10 during the weekends. Sometimes I'm too busy, or just taking a break from gaming. That's life.

MaDKaT

Over the year, less than an hour a week. Been that way for several years now. Some weeks or months I wont play anything and sometimes a game really grabs me and Ill play/beat it in a short amount of time. This year I have actually played more than past years due to VR. Many of the VR games are excellent, even for just a few minutes. Makes it easy to get 10-15 minutes here and there and feels pretty awesome.

J-Roderton

Eh. Maybe right at 4-5 hours. Depends if I have any weekend plans. Usually Gears, Halo or doing random stuff in Sleeping Dogs.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
An hour a night a couple days during the week sounds about right for me. Weekends are my time to get some more serious gaming time in.

I would say so - mostly because my desire to play is at rock bottom nowadays; and has been for a while.

I still get hyped over games, but when I actually sit down to play them, I find myself rolling my eyes at how tired everything seems.

I also just don't have the patience/mental stamina to throw myself into a game and learn its systems anymore. That's why most of my recent gaming has been quick bursts of mindless shooting in BF1.

My living and breathing of vidya takes form in the shape of Gaf browsing and just generally being around what's going on in terms releases and trends, rather than actual playing. I'm jaded af, yo.

spuckthew

When I first moved in with my girlfriend I was able get like 2-3 hours of gaming per night because she was working nights (Night Manager at a hotel). Then she moved to a day shift but a mixed schedule of either early shifts (6-3) or late shifts (2-11), and I still got a lot of gaming done when she was doing a late shift. Now she's in sales and does a 9-5. Initially my gaming time took a big hit because it was such a novelty having her in the apartment every evening, but I've come to realise that couples need space (we never had this before because we only ever lived together with her weird work patterns). And while I still don't game every day (it's obviously nice and healthy to have multiple successive days together), I probably get about 8-12 hours per week.

G-Bus

Banned
Started a crushing run in uncharted 4. No regrets yet....

I was playing paragon for a while. Squeeze in a match when I had an hour to myself.

Would like to play the last guardian.

Been thinking about getting overcooked. Just not sure if it's something the wife would play and ie read the solo experience just isn't the same.

hampig

Generally I'd say it's around 5 during the school year. I exclusively play Heroes of the Storm or Siege with my time.

Mathieran

Banned
I do probably about 5-10 on an average week. Depends on when I wake up. I don't normally play in the evenings, I do most of my gaming in the morning. I wake up between 5-6:30 in the morning and have to start getting ready for the day at 7. So my time varies a lot. Also I work early Sunday mornings so I don't usually play at all on Sunday.

Sometimes I'll bring a laptop to game when I travel and I just never actually play any games on it. I'd say my normal average, vacation or not, is about 5 hours or less per week. Try to play an hour or so weekdays coming home from work. Weekends usually a good two hour or three hour block but often busy with other stuff. That said, I do spend a good amount of time watching/listening to giant bomb while cooking, cleaning up etc.

matmanx1

Some weeks yes, others no. On a busy week then I might go several days without touching any game at all and then sit down for an hour or two on a weekend night for a Diablo 3 or Heroes of the Storm session.

I've done a couple of 45 min - 1 hour Gravity Rush Remaster sessions here lately and am slowly working my way through it.

Sometimes I am just tired and want to chillout with my headphones on to music and sometimes I just want to watch Netflix. Past 40 and with RL responsibilities, my energy for gaming just isn't what it used to be.

Joei

Right now, I can get an hour or two in a night, but not every night and only after my son goes to sleep. When I take classes (currently working on a degree for work) I can't game at all since it is too demanding to balance work, school and family. Next year I'm taking 25-weeks worth of courses :(

teddymeow

I play around 6 hours a week.

I work in a field based role so lots of driving so when I get in I tend to just want to sit and chill out.

Also married with an 18 month old son so spend more time entertaining the little one.

SpartanN92

Banned
Job, School, Soon to be Fiancé...

Yeah I get less than 5 hours a week nowadays.
There was a point in my life where I'd play Halo 2/3 average 5-8 per DAY!

God times have changed

5taquitos

Wife, 6 mo. son, and a full-time job.

I have precious little gaming time these days, but I wouldn't trade my current situation for anything.

My biggest problem is that I have a growing backlog of singleplayer games, but every time I sit down to get an hour of gaming in, I just boot up whichever multiplayer FPS I'm currently addicted to.

Not that I'm complaining, but if I had a week to myself I'd blow through so much of my backlog.
No I wouldn't, I'd just play a week of Titanfall 2 MP

lt519

Nah, I binge game (3 hours play sessions) twice a week at a minimum when there aren't new releases. When there are new releases it can go up to 3-4 nights and for longer sessions. After 4 years of living with my she wife still doesn't seem to care as long as I keep the late nights to a minimum during the week.

Myriadis

I often have other stuff that interests me, plus I hate it if I spend my entire free time after work just playing games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably in the 10-15 hour a week range most weeks, with some way less and some way more depending on work and social schedules and how much I'm sucked into whatever game I'm focused on at the time (or if I'm burnt out on gaming and taking a break).

Honestly, during the times of my life that I was limited to 5 hours a week or less I mostly just took a break from gaming until I was less busy. I'm not much for short pick up and play gaming sessions and like to binge for a few hours each session. Most of the time even when I was way busier I just set aside a day or evening to binge 5+ hours with a game a week when I wasn't just taking a break all together.

Say whatttt...

How do you do it?

I mean its not that hard. Work 8 hours a day. Sleep for 7. I don't watch much TV at all except for Super Hero stuff and Game of Thrones. That pretty much leaves 9 hours a day every day to do whatever I want, which usually a big chunk of consists of gaming. I play at least 3 hours per day

Sometimes I game more but some weeks I just get in a few hours, sometimes no gaming at all depending on work or if I'm going out with the girlfriend and friends.

lt519

I mean its not that hard. Work 8 hours a day. Sleep for 7. I don't watch much TV at all except for Super Hero stuff and Game of Thrones. That pretty much leaves 9 hours a day every day to do whatever I want, which usually a big chunk of consists of gaming. I play at least 3 hours per day

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, maybe only 7 hours of free time though due to commute and more like 9 hour work days. Sometimes I sub gaming for a movie or reading a book. But when you have 7 hours of leisure time not including weekends it is pretty easy to do if that is how you want to spend some of your time.

There's a big fluctuation in life with your free time. Tons of free time in grade school, less in college and as a young professional due to studies/career and social life, back to lots of free time when you have an established career and significant other, then back to no time if you have kids. At least that is how its gone for me, still holding out on the last part.

_SAKY_

Also, congrats on the job, s.o., or kid.
All of these above.

Yep, I stick to games that can be played in small yet satisfying chucks. Stories, crafting, item management, open world/vast level design, and long periods between save points are now prohibited.

MrBlonde

Job, kids, fiancée so yeah down to an hour or two a day 5-6 days a week.

I need to stop buying I have so many unfinished games!

Xbox has been in storage since August, haven't done any gaming whatsoever since then. With just 1gb of mobile data to last a month I cannot watch videos and browse with images turned off.

spekkeh

Banned
All of these above.

Yep, I stick to games that can be played in small yet satisfying chucks. Stories, crafting, item management, open world/vast level design, and long periods between save points are now prohibited.
Same here. Full time job, three hour commute a day, gaming is off limits until 8 o clock anyway, because my two year old keeps trying to pull the controller out of my hands and I want to limit the screen time of him and my 7 month old anyway. Then at night my wife would rather watch the news and some Netflix. I have two hours max for the weekdays, and two hours somewhere in the weekends.
When a game only has a five hour campaign it's a huge plus for me. I skip practically all RPGs, especially Japanese ones.
I'm hoping Switch can change some of my gaming time, though Netflix download function has my commute on lock currently.

You are crazy. Less than 5 hours a week!?

This GAF. It would be suprising if Gaffers play anything at all. Too busy complaining about resolution and FPS.

Good joke, buddy.

I think what's been most fascinating to me in reading this thread in relation to all of the other threads I read is the apparent divide between "busy with life" GAF and "video games are my sole reason for living" GAF. It's like those of us with little time to play apparently have our own subgroup.

alexbull_uk

I don't play anything during the week. Work tires me too much and pretty much the last thing on my mind is staring at a screen for any more time.
I do try and get a bit of time in over the weekend though. I probably average 2-3hrs total a week at the moment.

Crazy that just a couple of years ago I'd be playing upwards of 40hrs a week. It's the one thing that I actually miss about not being in employment.

Moyospeed

Neo Member
I'd say right around 5 sometimes none. But being a truck driver I don't exactly have a set schedule and have to balance family time.

borges

Banned
Being a father and with two jobs at the same time, yeah! I dont recall last time I played more than 2 or 3 hours in a week.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yes, currently. Working too many hours and have been buried at work. Working 60-70 hours a week doesn't leave much time for anything, :/

If anything, I'm more likely to play a game on my iPhone these days, while I'm on lunch or for a few minutes before bed -- meanwhile my amazing 4k TV and PS4 Pro collect dust.

Cabal

I'm married with a kid and a job. I found time to play through a number of games this year but most weeks about 5 hours is my average.

I'm probably lurking GAF more, because it's on my phone.

Top Bottom