• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

sora87

I absolutely despise these hunting grounds, they're the only thing i need for the plat and it's just impossible for me. The stealth one i just cannot do no matter what i try. Shoot striders with fire arrows i've done about 6 times and it never registered once. What a shame I've ended my time with this game that i truly loved like this, on such a sour note.

Just curious. Many say HDR isn't that bright fpr this game. Did anyone have the newest Sony X930E which has 1442 nits to check if the HDR is better now?

platocplx

Is anyone playing after doing everything and getting platinum? What do you do? I would like to go back to it, but can't think of any reasons. Few times I went just to mess with enemies, but that's it...

Probably try and perfect the hunting times in the hunting challenges. Some of those are so fun.

platocplx

I absolutely despise these hunting grounds, they're the only thing i need for the plat and it's just impossible for me. The stealth one i just cannot do no matter what i try. Shoot striders with fire arrows i've done about 6 times and it never registered once. What a shame I've ended my time with this game that i truly loved like this, on such a sour note.

Which ones are you having trouble with? I can def help. I beat all of them. Toughest for me was the Ravager one with the Thunderjaw, Some others you need certain upgrades to make it a bit easier, like the stealth ones.

Footos22

You are shooting the green canisters on their back right. that's all you need to do. Its easy. They all are.

MaKTaiL

Buy the stealth heavy armor and install a couple of stealth purple mods and that Hunting Ground will be a cake walk.

Wootball

Lower the difficulty to easy for the hunting grounds. I hated them too.

sora87

Which ones are you having trouble with? I can def help. I beat all of them. Toughest for me was the Ravager one with the Thunderjaw, Some others you need certain upgrades to make it a bit easier, like the stealth ones.

I appreciate it but I just can't do the stealth one, i'm terrible at stealth and the timer is far too short. It's so frustrating that one stupid thing is stopping me from getting the plat.

You are shooting the green canisters on their back right. that's all you need to do. Its easy. They all are.

Yes, it's incredibly hard when they're all freaking out and running off though, they dodge even when you slow down time and traps are useless cause they just run around them usually.

Paganmoon

I appreciate it but I just can't do the stealth one, i'm terrible at stealth and the timer is far too short. It's so frustrating that one stupid thing is stopping me from getting the plat.

Yes, it's incredibly hard when they're all freaking out and running off though, they dodge even when you slow down time and traps are useless cause they just run around them usually.

The ones with the watchers? Nora Silent hunter armor with Stealth mods, and tag the watchers before you take the rope down, and you can pretty much just run between them.

Newboi

I finally got around to beating the game. I enjoyed every minute of it. I still need to do two more corrupted zones and find the rest of the metal flours, cups, and Banuk figures though.

Honestly though, I was surprised at how intense yet anticlimactic the final encounters were. I was completely surprised at how easy and fast
Helis
was to take down. Also, the last boss fight just being another
DeathBringer
was kind of a bummer. The fight was still fun though.

I definitely wouldn't mind going back and 100 percenting the game, or fighting a bunch of robots for fun, but I think I'll move on to Yakuza Zero. Horizon was one heck of a ride. Hopefully, The next title will design fun post-game quests and activities. It would also be cool to have optional and post-game super bosses to fight that reward you with broken weapons and modifiers to make the game more wacky. That would be cool as well.

sora87

The ones with the watchers? Nora Silent hunter armor with Stealth mods, and tag the watchers before you take the rope down, and you can pretty much just run between them.

I just always get discovered by a stalker no matter what I do. Ah well, my horizon will be forever stuck on 90%

Lingitiz

I really wish the main story had more secondary characters to develop or spend time with. The only really two you have are a guy who talks to you through your focus, and Erend, for a short while.

MaKTaiL

I just always get discovered by a stalker no matter what I do. Ah well, my horizon will be forever stuck on 90%
Well, if you really don't want to try anymore you can share play it with someone else who finished the hunting trials so they can do it for you. I would gladly help but I'm from Brazil so there would be a huge lag input for me.

platocplx

\
As someone mentioned if you have all the stealth mods, then its easy to run through and do. Just Use Fire Arrows to quickly down birds and loot each one.

or are you talking about the jungle stealth one?

Edit: Just saw you talking about the stalkers.

Okay so that challenge. You def need stealth armor and all stealth mods.

To beat that one Start at top dont drop down until you tag and find where there is a cluster of the crab bots.

Then crouch behind the three cans. Then you just need to run and loot one other group of them and then you are all set to go.

Toni

Lower the difficulty to easy for the hunting grounds. I hated them too.

Buy the stealth heavy armor and install a couple of stealth purple mods and that Hunting Ground will be a cake walk.

These are phenomenal recomendations for folks stuck in those blaspbemous hunting grounds. I'm on the same boat as well and I'll keep these in mind for the Platinum trophy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On Very Hard the Aim Assist is disabled completely and you do less damage to the enemies (and you take more too). Aim Assist can make your life a lot easier. That's why you feel Very Hard isn't for you. With it off its a LOT harder to hit the critical spots you are aiming for. It takes a little bit of practice and overall familiarity with aiming with analog stick.

Haha, holy crap there's aim assist

I agree, the hunting grounds are something I just don't have the patience for. I generally hate timed activities in almost all games. Luckily I don't care about trophies so I can just ignore them and enjoy the rest of the game.

MaKTaiL

Haha, holy crap there's aim assist
Aim assist on Horizon works a bit different though. It does not help you aim on the literal sense of the word but instead it helps you hit the critical spots you were aiming for. Let's say you are aiming at the corner of a watcher's eye. With aim assist ON the arrow will slightly curve to the center of it's eye after you you shoot it, instantly killing him. With aim assist OFF you will hit exactly what you were aiming at (the corner of his eye) thus only taking off its armor.

Long story short, with aim assist on you do not have to worry about being precise because the game will always curve the arrow to the spot you were trying to hit in the first place.

Beat this over the weekend. I'm three trophies away from the Platinum Trophy, which I should be able to get tonight I just need to finish the
Best time on two more hunt locations, knocking over the test dummies, and finishing the game with all optional NPCs. I've finished every single quest in the game so I should be able to get that after beating it again
Also that special
armor is great even with no upgrade slots

What a great game, what a great story. Taking control of enemies and watching them fight each other has easily become my favorite thing about the game.

Sethista

Yep, get the purple stealth armor and put good stealth mods on it. It makes that hunter challenge a piece of cake.

I feel the 3 armours you really need are the nora wone where you can put 3 mods, thus making you resist anything specially with the skill to take out mods and not destroy them

The hunter stealth nora one, with 2 purplpe stealth mods. I was having to go around the plaes where the animals were to save on health and ammo, after this armour I just ran everywhere. You become a ghost.

And the ultrweave one. I did the final mission with it, with
al allies
on hard. It was very easy.

Great title. I beat the game last week... Simultaneously the perfect length and not nearly long enough. Easily my favorite ps4 game I've played so far.
Well, except maybe for Bloodborne. My favorite open world game on any console this gen.

BraXzy

Freeze bombs.

tenor.gif

BraXzy

I really wish the main story had more secondary characters to develop or spend time with. The only really two you have are a guy who talks to you through your focus, and Erend, for a short while.

If there's one thing that disappointed me with the story aspect of this game, it's the side quests and characters when compared to the main questline. Agreed.

sora87

Yeah these ravager ones are absolute bullshit too, nowhere near enough time to do what it asks of you.

So what is the best tactic to take down stormbirds?

Step by step:
Tear arrows to the chest to get rid of the lightning attack, then ropecaster to pin it down. Once down, freeze arrows to blow its freeze canisters and freeze it (and increase damage output), followed by blowing its blaze canister. That's usually their demise.

Corum

After the mission at the (mid-to-late game spoiler)
Grave-Hoard
does anyone else want a prequel based on
Operation: Enduring Victory? Guerilla really captured the desperation and hopelessness of the operation and I would love a game with multiple protagonists around the world participating in it and fighting various swarms.

Horohoro

Normally I'd agree with you,
I think California is the most overdone US setting, (when it was announced that GTAV would take place there I was super disappointed, for instance) but you should read the glyph that describes tales from people that have ventured to the Forbidden West. It doesn't sound like California and the surrounding regions remained at all unchanged, some descriptions make it sound barely earth-like. There are mentions of sprawling blue sand dunes, prairies with razor-sharp grasses with shivering black flowers, and an ancient city buried underneath "sour" water. I think I'm ok with them setting it in California if it gets that crazy.

I want
Tennessee its the perfect setting flat to mountains left to right. Lots of wildlife areas. Decade Memphis, Nashville, Gatlinburg, Chattanooga areas... It has potential...

I thought I would be able to finish this up this past weekend, but I'm not quite done. Made it to the point of no return warning, then decided to finish up a couple of side missions that turned out to be more in depth than I expected.

I'm still enjoying the ride. Setting the difficulty on hard seems just right to test my skills, strategy, and understanding of weapons and enemies.

MaKTaiL

I thought I would be able to finish this up this past weekend, but I'm not quite done. Made it to the point of no return warning, then decided to finish up a couple of side missions that turned out to be more in depth than I expected.

I'm still enjoying the ride. Setting the difficulty on hard seems just right to test my skills, strategy, and understanding of weapons and enemies.
The first point of no return is actually fake. There are still a few story missions left after that.

platocplx

Yeah these ravager ones are absolute bullshit too, nowhere near enough time to do what it asks of you.

Here are two I did and got blazing suns on.

This one was the sleight of hand with full stealth mods and the stealth. https://youtu.be/5e7x-Xkiqfs

This thunder jaw vs ravager I HAVE NO IDEA. How I managed to do it in under a min lmao.
https://youtu.be/SEq1Kd4OaSc

This one is parts alone. But you pretty much can do all three blazing suns using the same method.
https://youtu.be/uGIV4O5hYow

platocplx

I'm surprised that people are finding the hunting challenges difficult. Are you guys going in way underleveled?

I think some people could be trying to use arrows for everything. I realized while doingthe trials is way easier when your leveled up or use the whole arsenal at your disposal.

The Hunting Grounds are actually pretty easy even on Very Hard after you unlock everything.
Yeah pretty much. I've been playing on hard and getting the lodge rope caster >>>>

Then mods maxed etc. it's simple.

Zackat

There was only one hunting ground I had problems with. And only one of the suns in particular. The dumb sawtooths just don't wanna be hacked.

Stealth armor made it not too bad though.

lt519

Played a bunch this weekend. It's a gorgeous looking game, the enemies are fun, and it controls great but I've got zero desire to actually explore the world. Only the lure of the loot boxes from trading collectibles is pushing me out there. The main story is certainly interesting but it's a lot different than I expected and I'm not really sold on it yet, I've already started skipping most optional dialogue for non main quest parts.

I think I'm also having trouble getting into the combat as it was meant to be played, I'm at level 22 and I mostly just use a bow with fire arrows for machines and hard point for humans without problem.

And for the love of God why does she have to have an animation for everything she picks up. HUD is way too busy to.

Still great fun though.

Played a bunch this weekend. It's a gorgeous looking game, the enemies are fun, and it controls great but I've got zero desire to actually explore the world. Only the lure of the loot boxes from trading collectibles is pushing me out there. The main story is certainly interesting but it's a lot different than I expected and I'm not really sold on it yet, I've already started skipping most optional dialogue for non main quest parts.

I think I'm also having trouble getting into the combat as it was meant to be played, I'm at level 22 and I mostly just use a bow with fire arrows for machines and hard point for humans without problem.

And for the love of God why does she have to have an animation for everything she picks up. HUD is way too busy to.

Still great fun though.

Anxiety is killing you. :p

Don't know if you did but you can customize most of the hud.

Lingitiz

If there's one thing that disappointed me with the story aspect of this game, it's the side quests and characters when compared to the main questline. Agreed.

It's weird because I think the story is pretty great, but it sucks to see that it could be so much more. If there were more companions for Aloy, that would create more stakes and feel like there's something to fight for. They could use close NPCs to help flesh out the world more. We're looking at a sequel but aside from Sylens and Aloy there's no one I really have much attachment to or would be thrilled to see come back.

They've got this great political background and don't really use it to it's advantage outside of a few missions. I thought it was kind of lame how Aloy immediately inserted herself into an audience with the Sun King instead of having to work her way up and earn her way to a position of importance. Those little things help to flesh out the universe a bit more, but the game seems more intent of dumping most of that info and world building in dialogue trees. Think of how in TW3 when you get to Novigrad, you spend a ton of time with Triss figuring out the struggle magic users have had to go through just by running a few menial errands around the city. There's the quest line where you work with Dijkstra and get a sense for the structure of the underbelly of the city. Stuff like that is what Horizon could sorely use. Again, all because the universe they've made is ripe for it.

The storytelling itself was a little sloppy in parts. The exposition dump stuff just stands out as the most egregious, and I kind of found myself rushing through the smaller audio and data logs because I was so enthralled by the overall main story and the big revelations. There should have been a better way to pace that all out.

It's just very odd overall. It's rare to have such a compelling and cool main story that I feel succeeds in-spite of itself.

Top Bottom