• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Eye tech demos (pretty awesome stuff!)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dizzle24 said:
It would be awesome to scan some real items you have laying around and use them to build levels... ::drools::

It'd only work obviously for '2D' things - backdrops, stickers, cut-out things to hang in levels etc. versus 'scanning in 3D objects'. The latter would be very difficult to do robustly with a regular camera and a single view.

Firewire

Banned
gofreak said:
It'd only work obviously for '2D' things - backdrops, stickers, cut-out things to hang in levels etc. versus 'scanning in 3D objects'. The latter would be very difficult to do robustly with a regular camera and a single view.

But I think 3D is possible if the right software was built for the Eye, it wouldn't happen with one scan or anything but I think it can be done??

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Firewire said:
But I think 3D is possible if the right software was built for the Eye, it wouldn't happen with one scan or anything but I think it can be done??

Anything more than one scan, orientating an object in a particular, precise way for the camera etc. and you're in "not very user-friendly ville", unfortunately.

But I think it would be worth it for the 2D stuff alone. It would make it a lot easier for some people to embue their designs with their own style and visions.

Pimpwerx

Am I the only one that can't view the flash videos (I get a black screen while audio plays) on the PS blog? I'm using the PS3 browser (laptop is dead). WTF is this browser so shitty? PEACE.

this would be great for a create your own platform engine. people could make games starting anything in their room. want master chief, mario, and ratchet in the same game? just find some pictures of all of them and there you go.

dfyb

Banned
lots of potential here. hope they explore it with products.

for 3D objects, they could do something similar to existing face mapping systems. add on some spore-like geometry manipulation and you could put practically anything in the game with ease.

Novid

Banned
This is amazing...

Somebody a while back on said on a blog that Youtube "Democrotised" Live Action production, well give 5 people with a few made drawings, and they will "democrotise" animation just as easy with this "software"

Its the 3D thing that needs work, but i susepect that it's closer than we think.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
gofreak said:
Anything more than one scan, orientating an object in a particular, precise way for the camera etc. and you're in "not very user-friendly ville", unfortunately.

But I think it would be worth it for the 2D stuff alone. It would make it a lot easier for some people to embue their designs with their own style and visions.

Yeah you are right but they could simplify and make a lot of guesstimates that would satisfy the public for basic 3D object recognition. Especially a single object against white paper. Great strides have been made in this area.

Or they could at least give you options like "extrude" to extrude your 2D drawings into 3D, or even revolve/lathe so you could create glasses, baseball bats etc. That would be easy enough.

Fun to see what they are doing, hopefully some good PSN products will come out of this.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maggot9 said:
It's standalone as well. I got mine standalone.

I can't remember if the "stand-alone" (ha) comes with a stand.

Do it? Do it really? Or Does I have to buys the Eyes?

<cough> Sorry, I have a code.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm seriously impressed by the ability of the system to see which shape is bigger than another in the first "lunar lander" video. That was seriously awesome.

Also, is fast as hell. And Anton Mikhailov is a genius.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I say stick to the 2d for now. Attempts to extrapolate 3d would just be a bear for a relatively little return at this point.

But building a simple 2D game 'SDK' that's based solely around drawing things seems quite possible here. You would shift the Eye between different modes so you could draw different types of things and have them recognized as building blocks for 2d models, behaviors, actions, joins, etc. Build a character in character mode for example by drawing body, head, legs, arms and so forth as separate pieces, then pin them together in 'join' mode to create a ragdoll character, then give it simple animation in 'behavior' mode by drawing lines to indicate path of travel...etc, etc, etc.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Firewire said:
It looks cool & everything, but I'm just not into card games & the booster packs and stuff. I only want it because I had a video chat with Queeg500 a few days back & was really impressed with the picture quality it gave.

I'm pretty sure Queegs is using the PS2 eyetoy. The Eye looks even better than that.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
If they include some "soft dynamics" I would love to draw myself a Loco Roco level! How awesome would that be.

Firewire

Banned
Beatbox said:
I'm pretty sure Queegs is using the PS2 eyetoy. The Eye looks even better than that.

Shit I didn't know that. So the "Eye" is even better then! Thats it I have to pick one up.

Kittonwy

Banned
That's innovation right there rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Wherever u r
Whatever u do
I wuv u Richard Marks

Indifferent2.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
i don't get why it's not getting more recognition, this one of the more amaizng things I've seen this generation. I've been reading the comments I believe they said they are working hard right now on hand tracking. I really want a game that could track movements perfectly, than the eye could be what sony has been claiming for it.

edit- He talked about how if you drew a floorplan of a house it would be 3d, that sounds so unbelievable. I wonder how they could implement this more into games, or even HOME, maybe convert some of my belongings to on screen stuff for home. If the eye/ps3 combo is that good at recognizing stuff like bananas and tanks and drawings imagine face mapping.

Banned
decon said:
Looks amazing. Pen=controller of the future.

Sony DS?

I can't view these at work, but from what you're all saying it sounds pretty amazing! At least Sony would allow you the right to use it without as much worry about penisising your games, Nintendo would NEVER allow such action.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
The 2d scans are orienting the object in a particular way (flat on the surface), 3d would technically only require repeating the same process 3x per object, no more precise requirement about it (though camera should be pointed a bit tilted, not straight down).

For something like LBP or Home, that'd be plenty easy enough I think.

Pretty damn cool stuff.

Sony should really put even more resources into this, get it into more households, et cetera. It has such superb potential.

Obaid

Banned
wow. The PS-Eye is wired, right? Damn i would love to play with all that stuff. Does anyone know how long the wire from ps-eye is?

Top Bottom