• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Raonak

Banned
This will be the first new generation im gonna be witnessing on gaf. so excite :D

Specs sound saucy, exclusives are gonna be mad crazy. when sony's first party studios puilled out stuff like uncharted, killzone and gow with only 512mb memory, makes me really excited to see what'll happen with 4gb GDDR5.

Do you really think that's accidental?...
It's the perfect marketing phrase to hide behind for EVERYTHING and anything that happens.

Hardware for both looks dissapointing on paper? Both have special sauce relax mang and fill out this preorder form.

Ports or games turn out dissapointing on either of the two? Devs not making use of special sauce yet it'll get better, pinky swear.

Early bullshots and target renders? Surely people won't be fooled again after e3 2005 and 15 years of EA lies : Special sauce, believe!

Price ends up seeming way too high for what's inside either console? Special sauce doesn't come cheap mang, also newegg LOL

It's the new cell, the new emotion engine the new 64 bit. You get to make people hyped without ever needing anything to back it up. + you get a good dose of placebo effect , people want to believe.
Damn son.
Bravo.

It's the perfect marketing phrase to hide behind for EVERYTHING and anything that happens.
(...)
It's the new cell, the new emotion engine the new 64 bit. You get to make people hyped without ever needing anything to back it up. + you get a good dose of placebo effect , people want to believe.

Not true at all. We are at a stage where we don't know everything, we don't know the pieces inside the hardware.

Without knowing specifics or parts that are similar, people tend to come up with their own "branding".

When final specs and full information about what's inside these machines and how they work is released, special sauce will disappear.

If something close to what you said happens, it will be the good old "untapped potential" and "lazy devs" from the previous generations, that has successfully transited from one generation to another and I would be surprised if it wasn't around this generation.

http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/sony-corporation-sne-hunkers-down-before-ps4-arrives-39584/2/ said:
Where Sony will have to move is, like everyone else, towards an integrated content delivery system that has some form of comparative advantage over the competition to draw in consumers and keep them there. Even Microsoft, as late as they are to the party, is farther along than Sony. Sony will have to use its music and film content to drive this and tie it all back into the Playstation 4, which literally has to be superior in every way to the next Xbox in terms of content available, technology and the ever elusive, fun factor. It’s a tall order.

The question is does Sony know this? Maybe, from the early 2012 Sony CTO and Charlie at SemiAccurate articles, they do know.... Sony "Taking no prisoners".

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/02/sony-playstation-4-will-be-an-x86-cpu-with-an-amd-gpu/#.UP7gDB3WIw4 said:
In the end, it looks like Sony is going to go for the take no prisoners option on the PS4. If you don’t push fab limits that hard, but do push advanced packaging to the limit, you could very well end up with a monster that is simply not manufacturable as a single die. the Playstation 4 is almost undoubtedly an x86 part with AMD graphics too. That is only the very beginning though. If Sony can back up the boasting with real silicon, and the packaging elves can make it in quantity, it should be a game changer, pun intended. Sony is aiming for the moon just like they did for the PS3.

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp...ine&q=NYSE:SNE&&fct=big&ei=fN_-UPDCI6aIlgOhHQ

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The question is does Sony know this? Maybe, from the early 2012 Sony CTO and Charlie at SemiAccurate articles, they do know.... Sony "Taking no prisoners".
I'm sure Sony will be pushing at least BDXL support and their Digital 4k store on Orbis.

Man, this thread is far more reasonable at this point than the Durango thread. That has to be the messiest thread I've seen in a long time.

Man, this thread is far more reasonable at this point than the Durango thread. That has to be the messiest thread I've seen in a long time.

Well I'd say it got messy last night after we stopped with the analogies jokes. Before that we were only having harmless fun, and people were civil. You can find some comments proclaiming just that. And then another group of people arrived, mostly juniors, I believe, and derailed the thread.

Let's hope this does not happen in the upcoming VGleaks PS4 thread.

Well I'd say it got messy last night after we stopped with the analogies jokes. Before that we were only having harmless fun, and people were civil. You can find some comments proclaiming just that. And then another group of people arrived, mostly juniors, I believe, and derailed the thread.

Let's hope this does not happen in the upcoming VGleaks PS4 thread.

Least funny jokes, ever.

vgleaks needs to hurry up.. i need to read the same thing over again on a diff site ;)

only 5 more months till e3 tho.... that's all. 5 agonizing months

Ashes

Banned

Hardware for both looks dissapointing on paper? Both have special sauce relax mang and fill out this preorder form.

Ports or games turn out dissapointing on either of the two? Devs not making use of special sauce yet it'll get better, pinky swear.

Early bullshots and target renders? Surely people won't be fooled again after e3 2005 and 15 years of EA lies : Special sauce, believe!

Price ends up seeming way too high for what's inside either console? Special sauce doesn't come cheap mang, also newegg LOL

Would be funny if next gen Xbox is the first place to see directx 12.

Sulik2

OS only using 512MB on PS4 is actually worrying to me. I hope the system isn't going to be saddled with a minor update to the current OS just so they can skimp on the memory and doesn't offer the vast UI improvement PlayStation needs. 3GB seems very wasteful but 512 seems limited. I hope I am wrong though.

Will 3.5GB hamper texture sizes on the PS4? Correct me if I am wrong but don't textures have to stay loaded in memory? My modded sky rim takes 3.5GB of memory on PC. I hope in three years PS isn't getting down sampled textures so they can hold them all in memory.

davious88

Banned
OS only using 512MB on PS4 is actually worrying to me. I hope the system isn't going to be saddled with a minor update to the current OS just so they can skimp on the memory and doesn't offer the vast UI improvement PlayStation needs. 3GB seems very wasteful but 512 seems limited. I hope I am wrong though.

Will 3.5GB hamper texture sizes on the PS4? Correct me if I am wrong but don't textures have to stay loaded in memory? My modded sky rim takes 3.5GB of memory on PC. I hope in three years PS isn't getting down sampled textures so they can hold them all in memory.

You know PS3's OS utilises 50MB...

Its double the amount the Vita is utilizing. Trust me 512 is going to be a lot of room to work with.

lanoire_gameplayseriesq7nk.gif

doesn't seem that far off, the animation capability is there, only the visuals need to catch up some.

Well to be fair that's nothing more than a texture over simplistic polygons...which is why it looks like hot ass juice at high resolutions.

Hey folks. Just got approved and this is my first post!

I hate to be that "guy" that brings more "insider information" to the table(especially since it's my first post and nobody knows if I'm trustworthy), but I will be for right now. I have a friend who is very, very close with Sony. I won't say what he does or who he is, but I can relay what he has told me.

I haven't kept up on this page completely so hopefully I'm bringing some new information. I showed him the rumored leaks from yesterday and he said the only thing they really got right was the RAM. According to him(I don't know tech talk very well so you might understand this better than I) the APU has 4 steamroller cores in it, bandwidth to the GDDR5 is high. Cell runs the show(OS, security, IO, etc.) and also acts as a satellite/accelerator processor for the steamroller cores. APU has access to the XDR in a similar way that RSX does. There is an SCC(Super Companion Chip) inside as well.

The ram is only 3.5gb and is in 3 pools. 2GB GDDR5 for the APU(which is not an A10), 1GB DDR3 for the SCC, and 512mb XDR(for Cell). He said the APU has 256GB/s to the GDDR5, devkits though. There is no cell in the devkit yet, maybe 1st party ones, cell integration needs final silicon.

It will be backwards compatible with PS3 AND PS2. As far as the new controller rumor, he doesn't know much as far as design goes but did say that there is no screen on the controller, however, you can use another device to have that. I assume he's hinting at the vita?

Anyways, that's the info I received. No need to believe it and I'm not saying it is 100% accurate, just going by what I've been told.

I hope this is true.

backwards compatible with ps3 and ps2. Thank you sony. Thank you for having a all in one playstation machine!!

Although i am concerned with low memory. 512 XDR is too low. Too low for a console that is designed to last for 10 years. It should 2-3gb minimum

Its double the amount the Vita is utilizing. Trust me 512 is going to be a lot of room to work with.
But half the Wii U ;p

I'm amazed theres no clarification on which side of the controller the touch is on, it can't be that hard to find out.

Although i am concerned with low memory. 512 XDR is too low. Too low for a console that is designed to last for 10 years. It should 2-3gb minimum

What

nOoblet16

All of them...all the time ?
No...that's why we have streaming.

Jack_AG

Banned
I really can't fathom what they'll do with 512MB, and for that matter what Durango will do with 1-3GB.

The 360 uses 32MB; the PS3 uses 50MB.
More background apps running. 512 is fine for a gaming OS. I also wouldn't stick on 3gb for Durango OS - at least from what my friends tell me.

I really can't fathom what they'll do with 512MB, and for that matter what Durango will do with 1-3GB.

Doing more than one single thing at a time I hope.
Just spent 4 hours downloading infamous 2 off PSN (it paused while I was playing a game with a friend) then a full hour installing it (during which time you can't do anything else).

You know what I do on my pc when a game is installing? I play a different game (while I can leave my browser and skype open and whatever else I damn well please)

I wanted to see a trailer for some games on psn + earlier, I had to download them to watch them then close the browser to watch them... No streaming option for a HQ video in sight on the psn store.

Having a bunch of ram set aside should fix all the above bullcrap.
I hadn't used my ps3 in 6 months and hadn't used PSN or installed a game in over a year, I totally forgot how primitive and worthless current gen consoles are when it comes to basic multitasking capabilities that pcs have.

i-Lo

Doing more than one single thing at a time I hope.
Just spent 4 hours downloading infamous 2 off PSN (it paused while I was playing a game with a friend) then a full hour installing it (during which time you can't do anything else).

You know what I do on my pc when a game is installing? I play a different game (while I can leave my browser and skype open and whatever else I damn well please)

I wanted to see a trailer for some games on psn + earlier, I had to download them to watch them then close the browser to watch them... No streaming option for a HQ video in sight on the psn store.

Having a bunch of ram set aside should fix all the above bullcrap.
I hadn't used my ps3 in 6 months and hadn't used PSN or installed a game in over a year, I totally forgot how primitive and worthless current gen consoles are when it comes to basic multitasking capabilities that pcs have.

Two features I'm in favour of:

• Lack of separate installation for demos after they have been downloaded. It should be one step only (like it is with 360)
  • Intelligent discrimination/Ability to voluntarily pause/unpause active downloads

Karak

Meh 60 pages and this is all they posted.... hmmmm

New controller seems stupid and sound like something sony would do.

I don't know. It is only really stupid if its there and isn't used correctly or in ways to add to games or adjust how games are played. I can see it being really useful for some things.

USC-fan

Banned
I don't know. It is only really stupid if its there and isn't used correctly or in ways to add to games or adjust how games are played. I can see it being really useful for some things.

Like sixaxis?

Anyway this seem to be one of the worst feature of the psvita.

CLEEK

Conversely, I can't fathom what the WiiU does with 1GB. And why it takes so god damn long to load up the non-gaming apps like MiiVerse and Settings.

So just because the new consoles will have loads more RAM dedicated to the OS doesn't mean it will magically fix all the issue of this gen.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I just hope it isn't a repeat of what Eurogamer revealed and dives deeper into components we don't know anything about.

Would also be interesting if vgleaks contradicts eurogamer.

he said "check back tomorrow"...don't know who Mr.X is though.
Commenter over at VGLeaks:

I have no idea if he actually has any ties to the site.

i-Lo

I just hope it isn't a repeat of what Eurogamer revealed and dives deeper into components we don't know anything about.

Would also be interesting if vgleaks contradicts eurogamer.

he said "check back tomorrow"...don't know who Mr.X is though.

I saw a link to where one of their editors said there was a new Orbis article coming tomorrow in the Kotaku dev kit thread.

Aye, thank you both.

Commenter over at VGLeaks:

I have no idea if he actually has any ties to the site.

Unless otherwise proven, I am going to assume he is a nobody.

SgtCobra

Ehm yeah, it's not really any important information what I'm going to give you guys here, but I've heard that the marketing team of Sony BeNeLux has started working on the "next PlayStation device"
Don't know if that person was talking about the Vita or the PS4 (but I guess PS4 as it can be referred as "next" right?)
I don't know anything more, don't kill me.

Sorry for going Off Topic btw.

Top Bottom