• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
That nunchuk + Wii U pad is terrible. The pad is way too big for that without making the whole thing look like an abomination.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

I really hope they just give the Wiimote and Nunchuk a redesign. It would work with all the previous Wii games, but would be equipped with Analog triggers as well as a clicky stick for the new games. I think I'm going to do a mock up now.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
A week ago the day before the video leaked he told us about Rayman legends coming to wii u.

One of my favorite leaks from him was his comment on how much RAM the OS might take up.

A few months ago he also told us that with a bit of extra effects the wiiu can display competent 360 graphics on both the drc and main screen at the same time.

First one was information from an already posted survey/kotaku article with leaked pics, and the same day it was leaked he said "what if Legends came to Wii-U". Once Madden is leaked i'll make sure to say "what if Madden comes to Wii-U" to make sure I get credited with inside info during the inevitable reveal.

Other two have yet to be proven, and are extremely vague when it comes to concrete data. None of those are Wii-U WILL have clickable triggers.

Haha I remember you. I was gullible at the time and hung by your every word. Talked to you over IM many times trying to get info. At the time I was RE_master72 at gfaqs.

Sounds familiar. So many people I IM'd with, it's hard to remember though. Sorry for the false hopes, I was too young to fully understand how stupid and selfish what I was doing really was.

who was that one person that had a bunch of supposed "insider info" on Revolution before it was Wii? Was it like princess something or other? I can't remember the name.

First one was information from an already posted survey/kotaku article with leaked pics, and the same day it was leaked he said "what if Legends came to Wii-U". Once Madden is leaked i'll make sure to say "what if Madden comes to Wii-U" to make sure I get credited with inside info during the inevitable reveal.

Other two have yet to be proven, and are extremely vague when it comes to concrete data. None of those are Wii-U WILL have clickable triggers.

One kind of nice thing is that he presumably sent a giant private message to HylianTom containing the bulk of his secret information. Tom swore an oath on his dearly departed dog not to look at it until after the N-conf, at which point he will be able to verify which people had actual info and which were blowing smoke.

So basically Tom has access to all there is to know about the Wii U but isn't peeking. Big balls there.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Sounds familiar. So many people I IM'd with, it's hard to remember though. Sorry for the false hopes, I was too young to fully understand how stupid and selfish what I was doing really was.
we shall see in the coming month(s) if harker is correct just as we will see if idea man is correct. Ideaman has given us many different bits of information and while you may not believe them to be as concrete as clicky sticks which may I remind you has yet to be confirmed as well, I personally believe that he is more of an asset and valued insider than hit and run developers/industry employees who do nothing more than to just hype us up.

One kind of nice thing is that he presumably sent a giant private message to HylianTom containing the bulk of his secret information. Tom swore an oath on his dearly departed dog not to look at it until after the N-conf, at which point he will be able to verify which people had actual info and which were blowing smoke.

So basically Tom has access to all there is to know about the Wii U but isn't peeking. Big balls there.
I thought Tom wouldn't confirm nor deny who sent him the PM

Glass Joe

1) Price?
Depends on their route:
$299 barebones (unit, tablet, and 8gig SD card) - or -
$349 with above, Wii Motion + and digital pack-in casual game (Brain Training, Wii Fit*) - or -
$399 with above, 80 gig external drive, and free VC game(s). (UNLIKELY)
* scale would be sold separately

2) Release date?
Sunday, November 18th (though I do think they should launch sooner)

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?
1.5x or 2x.

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)?
Retro's game - Starfox, F-zero, DK sequel or Smash Bros. (if a collaboration like Mario Kart 7).

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.
Nothing outlandish. Just there to help present and show off Pikmin.

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions?
MS: Halo 4, hints of their new console
Sony: Vita focus

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite?
Not enough time to port, hard to port, Wii U tablet requires too much thought. Underpowered CPU.

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Skipping a final exam?
Nope, asked for the day off but not heart breaking if I don't get it. Checking in during the evening will be a shock, I'm sure.

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?
Third party games look like PS360, no innovations with the new screen.

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?
Didn't work hard enough to get third party ports / exclusives. Launch day line-up, despite promises, may be weak due to game delays.

test_account

XP-39C²
I do suppose if a Wii Verson is going to be made, its also going to be ported also to the 3DS.
I'm curious what Treyarch will do about this. If they will make both a Wii and a WiiU version, or if they will get the guys who worked on the previous Wii versions to work on the WiiU version (in other words, skipping the Wii version and making a WiiU version instead).

lednerg

Clicky circle pads makes me think of the NES Max and how much I hated it. Hopefully they've gotten better at making controllers in the past few decades.

Taker666

That nunchuk + Wii U pad is terrible. The pad is way too big for that without making the whole thing look like an abomination.

It doesn't look great visually ...but it's what it does that counts. It's probably the closest we'll get to mass market VR anytime soon.

A first person Resident Evil game would be quite fun using just the Zapper/screen combo ....having to physically aim up in the air to shoot crows, down at the ground to take out snakes/crawling zombies/tentacles wrapped around your ankles etc.

The combination of player 1 using the tv screen and player 2 using the zapper could prove for some interesting co-op game design as well. For instance player 1 could be driving a jeep from a first person perspective on the tv screen....

.....while player 2 is in effect in the back of the jeep.. using the Zapper "VR style" to aim all around the virtual world to take out snipers on rooftops or even turning 180 so he's back to back with player 1 so he can shoot tires out of enemy vehicles that are in chase. ...all the while the quality of player 1's driving effects how easy it is for player 2 to take out his targets.

1) Price?
$350

2) Release date?
Sunday, November 18th

2.5x.

Retro game, SSB trailer, deep online infrastructure with focus on social gaming.

Captain Olimar.

Nah

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite?
If they can't do something special with the Wii U tablet they won't do anything at all.

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Skipping a final exam?
Yep, took off Monday and Tuesday. I was taking off Monday anyway though. I don't really care about Microsoft's or Sony's conferences though I'll probably watch them. I took off Tuesday solely to watch Nintendo's conference though and witness the hype on GAF.

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?
They should have announced a price and release date.

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?
They should have announced a price and release date.

Kandinsky

Man I remember these kinds of thread over IGN boards in 2k2 or so.. you know the threads that only served for people to rise their post count, I also remember when these were prohibited on gaf, good times.

Edit
the thumb sticks are clickable
Shit nevermind, actual news in this one!.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Didn't know that. But what if Tom is IdeaMan? :p

we shall see in the coming month(s) if harker is correct just as we will see if idea man is correct. Ideaman has given us many different bits of information and while you may not believe them to be as concrete as clicky sticks which may I remind you has yet to be confirmed as well, I personally believe that he is more of an asset and valued insider than hit and run developers/industry employees who do nothing more than to just hype us up.

I thought Tom wouldn't confirm nor deny who sent him the PM

The problem is that Harker, Lherre, Shocking Alberto, Shikamura Ninja, Hal_Labatory, etc. Have all said stuff before that has come true, therefore proving (as much as you can) that they have some sort of inside info. So if they come in here and drop a "bomb" I'm more willing to listen. The same can't be said for Ideaman (yet).

Not to mention his extremely annoying teasing and "information" withholding.

Kard8p3

No worries it was good fun. You even got us to email Matt from IGN which then lead to him talking about you in a mailbag. It got me so hyped at the time.

Anth0ny

This brings me to my next question: why not just put in analog sticks? I cry myself to sleep every night knowing they had it PERFECT with that prototype Wii U controller.

I like the non-leaky things he does, like trying occasionally to get people to speculate (the "Hey, what interesting things can with do with two screens?" chats that we had last thread, for instance).

I thought Tom wouldn't confirm nor deny who sent him the PM[/QUOTE]

Hrm, I'll have to go back and look (or tom should be waking up from his micronap to post again and clarify by now). I figure that if he had permission from the guy, he could post a "Hey, Leaker_X was right about most of his stuff!" without actually saying anything incriminating. Perhaps I am optimistic.

test_account

XP-39C²
This brings me to my next question: why not just put in analog sticks? I cry myself to sleep every night knowing they had it PERFECT with that prototype Wii U controller.
I hope that someone asks Nintendo about this at E3. I'm curious to hear their reason for using sliders instead of sticks.

It doesn't look great visually ...but it's what it does that counts. It's probably the closest we'll get to mass market VR anytime soon.

A first person Resident Evil game would be quite fun using just the Zapper/screen combo ....having to physically aim up in the air to shoot crows, down at the ground to take out snakes/crawling zombies/tentacles wrapped around your ankles etc.

The combination of player 1 using the tv screen and player 2 using the zapper could prove for some interesting co-op game design as well. For instance player 1 could be driving a jeep from a first person perspective on the tv screen....

.....while player 2 is in effect in the back of the jeep.. using the Zapper "VR style" to aim all around the virtual world to take out snipers on rooftops or even turning 180 so he's back to back with player 1 so he can shoot tires out of enemy vehicles that are in chase. ...all the while the quality of player 1's driving effects how easy it is for player 2 to take out his targets.

Your idea is wonderful and all, but I would like roughly 100% fewer "Resident Evil: _______ Chronicles" this time around, thank you Capcom. ;P

Clicky "circle pads"? Can someone explain how that one works?

You push them down like a button. Because they're basically structured more like slideable buttons than, say, analog sticks are, no?

shnord

Neo Member

Why don't the people with insider info just:

1. put the info in a text file
2. add the file to an archive (ie zip) and give it a strong password (making sure the password protection used by the archiver is a good encryption method)
3. maybe add some other random files like images or whatever to pad the archive for extra security (does this make sense?)
4. release the encrypted archive now
5. after E3, release the password

To clarify: I just mean for those who would consider giving info to Tom to be verified but don't feel totally safe about it even despite his oath. This way would be much safer. I'm not saying OMG WHY DON'T ALL INSIDERS DO THIISSSSSss

Why do so many people think that the system is going to release on a Sunday? What is it about the 18th that everyone seems so sure about for the release?

snesfreak

Banned
I'm about ready to freeze myself Cartman style.
Didn't know that. But what if Tom is IdeaMan? :p
GAFPartyMNight.jpg

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ant, He said thumbsticks not circle pads.

Why do so many people think that the system is going to release on a Sunday? What is it about the 18th that everyone seems so sure about for the release?
Most Nintendo hardware and software releases on Sundays.

Yes, that other controller diagram is better in about three or four ways right off the bat, easily. And I can't think of any ways that the newer one is superior. Except for maybe "very slightly more iPhoney look".

Why don't the people with insider info just:

1. put the info in a text file
2. add the file to an archive (ie zip) and give it a strong password (making sure the password protection used by the archiver is a good encryption method)
3. maybe add some other random files like images or whatever to pad the archive for extra security (does this make sense?)
4. release the encrypted archive now
5. after E3, release the password

Because they don't have to. They're not getting any recompense for what they're doing. It's basically a pleasant and possibly illegal public service they're providing, so it's best not to prod too much at them. ;)

HylianTom

Banned
Hrm, I'll have to go back and look (or tom should be waking up from his micronap to post again and clarify by now). I figure that if he had permission from the guy, he could post a "Hey, Leaker_X was right about most of his stuff!" without actually saying anything incriminating. Perhaps I am optimistic.

Hey! I'll ask permission to reveal, just to see how people feel about being identified. Couldn't hurt, right?

(BTW - I'm not IdeaMan. And I'm getting killed by the emergency room right now. Every headache is a suspected stroke.. ugh..)

shnord

Neo Member
Because they don't have to. They're not getting any recompense for what they're doing. It's basically a pleasant and possibly illegal public service they're providing, so it's best not to prod too much at them. ;)
I just mean for the ones who would consider giving info to Tom to be verified but don't feel totally safe about it even despite his oath, my method would be much safer.

BurntPork

Banned
1) Price?
Depends on their route:
$299 barebones (unit, tablet, and 8gig SD card) - or -
$349 with above, Wii Motion + and digital pack-in casual game (Brain Training, Wii Fit*) - or -
$399 with above, 80 gig external drive, and free VC game(s). (UNLIKELY)
* scale would be sold separately

2) Release date?
Sunday, November 18th (though I do think they should launch sooner)

1.5x or 2x.

Retro's game - Starfox, F-zero, DK sequel or Smash Bros. (if a collaboration like Mario Kart 7).

Nothing outlandish. Just there to help present and show off Pikmin.

MS: Halo 4, hints of their new console
Sony: Vita focus

Not enough time to port, hard to port, Wii U tablet requires too much thought. Underpowered CPU.

Nope, asked for the day off but not heart breaking if I don't get it. Checking in during the evening will be a shock, I'm sure.

Third party games look like PS360, no innovations with the new screen.

Didn't work hard enough to get third party ports / exclusives. Launch day line-up, despite promises, may be weak due to game delays.
It would actually be cheaper to go with 120-160GB.

Glass Joe

Clicky "circle pads"? Can someone explain how that one works?

Put your hands on a 3DS and imagine being able to push the circle pad down like a button. Doesn't seem unreasonable that this could be added to Wii U.

Anth0ny said:

My guess is still that they feel analog sticks are ugly and stick out. They want the tablet to be flat and sleek, like a tablet. Plus, slider pads might feel just fine.

1)  Price?

2)  Release date?

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? [

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions?

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite?

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Skipping a final exam?

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? [

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?

No Launch Day questions this time around.. but in a future thread?  Yes!
199-249
Mid October
Steam
Conducting
Nope
Unhealthy ecosystem
Work off
720/ps4 will be better
Too awesome

Going into surgery very soon (UPPP for snoring and sleep apnea). In gown already. Wish me luck.

Woah, when did this party get started?

This may be the craziest thread yet.

Just to make your life easier:

#232: John Harker (vouched for in #284, #285, #286, #289, et al), "the thumb sticks are clickable" ← speculation follows regarding the possibility of it being analog-"click", whether the flat nature of the Wii U analogs would make it feel less awkward, etc..

#370: updated Wii U gun-shell design ← with bottom front trigger apparently moved to immediately below the analog stick

#467: GameStop internal computer system lists BLOps 2 for Wii U

But you should still go back and read the responses and survey answers and so forth. :)

ninjedit: Hey, guys, wossname was right, he did specifically say "sticks". I personally think he used the words out of convention, not out of a snipey "they're sticks now, not pads", but take out of it what you will.

You're grasping at straws here. Have you ever heard anyone call circle pads thumbsticks in the past? Furthermore, circle pads don't even have a stick like form factor. They are flush to the controller.

With sticks underneath.

They very well might be analog sticks but he didn't say that.

It could be implied I suppose.

Nilaul

Man I remember these kinds of thread over IGN boards in 2k2 or so.. you know the threads that only served for people to rise their post count, I also remember when these were prohibited on gaf, good times.

Edit

Shit nevermind, actual news in this one!.

Its like people have a feel good achievement for reaching a certain number of posts.

I think the time has come to take a 1 month break from the gaming side; deep hell's of offtopic brace me for the coming week

I sense leaks and spoilers in your fortune my friends, sayonara!

Nilaul

HylianTom Did you know that you have made 7,180 posts until current date? Most of these were probably made on Wii Speculation Topic. :p

EloquentM

aka Mannny

You don't have this archived? =O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom