• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

So following an old posting on BGG I was able to join a meetup group of CT based board gamers who have meetings almost every day gonna go to my first game night Thursday am very excited :D

fenners

So following an old posting on BGG I was able to join a meetup group of CT based board gamers who have meetings almost every day gonna go to my first game night Thursday am very excited :D

Awesome!

I've met up with gamers in a few different places via BGG & I honestly can't remember a bad time. A little bit of awkwardness sometimes, just with being a new face in an established group, but I got over that each time.

And not totally shocked at Epic AF clearly failing. There's an audience for that tone of content for sure, but their tone as creators & how they interacted with people interested in their system just rubbed me up the wrong way. Their ask, 70k, is a heck of a lot of money too.

ultron87

Got to play Not Alone this evening, after picking it up at Origins. That's a nice twist on the hidden movement style of game, where instead of one person hiding from everyone it's everyone else hiding from the one. Trying to second guess what an entire other team of players is doing all at once is a super interesting decision to make! And playing on the team and trying to coordinate without just completing tipping your hand was very interesting too. Very fun half hour game!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Got to play Not Alone this evening, after picking it up at Origins. That's a nice twist on the hidden movement style of game, where instead of one person hiding from everyone it's everyone else hiding from the one. Trying to second guess what an entire other team of players is doing all at once is a super interesting decision to make! And playing on the team and trying to coordinate without just completing tipping your hand was very interesting too. Very fun half hour game!

I like Not Alone quite a lot. Playing both sides is great!

I sense nothing but failure AF from them
It was a poorly conceived campaign on multiple fronts. Sucks for people interested in it.

Also FFG can get fucked.
No, I mean we tried to make a case for continuing the system with another IP, but the system eventually reverted back to us. FFG/Asmodee has plenty of product in the queue so they typically aren't looking for proposals or submissions. Hence why we are doing what we can to continue the line on our own.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26157140#26157140

Karkador

Banned
The crazy thing about Epic AF is that they actually have a good, meaty game on their hands, even without the WH license. Meanwhile games that are garbage design-wise pass their goals with many dollars to spare.

The crazy thing about Epic AF is that they actually have a good, meaty game on their hands, even without the WH license. Meanwhile games that are garbage design-wise pass their goals with many dollars to spare.
You really can't underestimate how important theme is to a game. This past week I can't get any one beside my daughter to play Concordia with me. It's solid game with nice arts but when I tell them the theme of trading and they took one look at that box art it just get pass for something else.

Speaking of Epic AF, we played Warhammer Quest quite a few times this week and everyone that I taught the game really love it.

No mini's = no backers.

I don't understand this mindset.

It could be that my group and I are lazy alcoholics but we tend to go for games with less minis/huge amounts of parts. Scythe is OK because we have boxes for all the resources etc that make packing up easy. Inis is perfect. But games like Conan or Rum and Bones never get played anymore because it is just too much a pain to get everything out for a game or two.

It could be that my group and I are lazy alcoholics but we tend to go for games with less minis/huge amounts of parts. Scythe is OK because we have boxes for all the resources etc that make packing up easy. Inis is perfect. But games like Conan or Rum and Bones never get played anymore because it is just too much a pain to get everything out for a game or two.

For kickstarter projects, having cool miniatures is going to get more people to back your game. Double this if the ks has cool exclusive only for backers see the two biggest bg ks having miniatures (lords of hellas and zombicide).

For kickstarter projects, having cool miniatures is going to get more people to back your game. Double this if the ks has cool exclusive only for backers see the two biggest bg ks having miniatures (lords of hellas and zombicide).

I know that is how it always goes with KS, they always advertise just how many hundreds of components they will contain. I just don't get that being the draw in so many cases.

Saying that, it isn't a surprise Epic AF failed in any case.

I know that is how it always goes with KS, they always advertise just how many hundreds of components they will contain. I just don't get that being the draw in so many cases.

Saying that, it isn't a surprise Epic AF failed in any case.

People want to be ahead of the curve on the next big thing, and if the game sucks exclusive minis keeps the resale value a lot higher.

sneaky77

I think some of the responses from the creators in BGG probably soured a lot of people off, plus the name doesn't help. I don't think is necessarily the minis, although obviously that seems to be a thing too

You really can't underestimate how important theme is to a game. This past week I can't get any one beside my daughter to play Concordia with me. It's solid game with nice arts but when I tell them the theme of trading and they took one look at that box art it just get pass for something else.

Speaking of Epic AF, we played Warhammer Quest quite a few times this week and everyone that I taught the game really love it.

I wonder if they could have just gone with a more generic fantasy theme for the game, and essentially make a compatible product. Just changing the art and removing the Warhammer license, but keep it serious fantasy product, it technically should have been compatible as expansion material for the original Warhammer Adventure card game essentially.

It just seems to get worse, and so many of these games don't need any minis at all. Some of the games really I think would have been awesome but not willing to pay 100+ for a game just because it comes with a ton of minis and huge box. Cthulhu Wars, for example didn't need to be almost $200 or whatever the hell it costs now, but it's giant ridiculous minis are really what is selling that game.

People toss millions at these games just cause they see ton of cool looking minis as value, course they don't even know or get to see the rules of the actual game.

Put out a game without cool figs.... "I don't know about this game......". But "80 minis for 100 bucks! IM IN! OH SHIT LET ME BUY ALL THE ADD ONS. I wonder how the game plays? Oh look stretch goals, sweet increase pledge now!"

I think it says a lot when 25 out of the 32 top funded Kickstarter board games are miniature focused games or Kickstarter projects.

Miniatures are where the money is at, cause people are damn ready to throw a ton of it at you, even if your game is probably bad.

Even if the game is not very good, at least you have the miniatures left over. Painting and converting them is a hobby within a hobby and likely more popular than the games themselves with a lot of those games.

Keasar

Even if the game is not very good, at least you have the miniatures left over. Painting and converting them is a hobby within a hobby and likely more popular than the games themselves with a lot of those games.

That is true. I can imagine the miniatures being very popular with collectors (hence why they are so well funded).

zulux21

it's true in general though.

though I am at the point where

Minis = no way in hell I am backing.

I have enough minis that I can just use in stuff, I don't want to pay for minis that I don't care about especially since it's becoming increasingly rare for the kickstarted mini games to do anything interesting. the focus is all on the minis and not on gameplay.

I doubt a large portion of these sales are to miniature enthusiasts. Even when they look cool in renders, lot of these miniatures in these kickstarters are not that great of quality compared to what is out there in the miniature community. Dark Souls for example, the fig quality was nowhere what was shown, with tons of bendy and rubbery plastic bits on them.

And the games that did minis that require putting together have gotten lot of whining for having to be put together by backers, which is not the miniature collector market.

And with many of these huge miniature heavy boxes, if the game sucks, you still have stores with stacks of these minis and games unsold for slashed prices. Look at Robotech and how stores couldn't give them away practically.

If folks want tons of minis, they can buy cases of figs from defunct games left and right

Karkador

Banned
If folks want tons of minis, they can buy cases of figs from defunct games left and right

So they'll be sweeping up these KS messes in 5 years or so? :p

To your point though, yeah, I don't think most of these kickstarters would be nearly as successful if they were ONLY a box full of minis geared towards the mini enthusiasts.

Blizzard

Banned
7 wonders is the biggest spaghetti fest I've ever seen. It seemed like every 2 seconds someone was making a mistake.
How does that even work? My dad's 70+ years old and I think he managed 7 wonders a couple years ago, only making the mistake of building duplicate cards.

ultron87

The symbols and resource stuff can be a little confusing for first timers, but 7 Wonders goes so nice once everyone has played it before. So smooth and quick. Then no one cuts the science and whoever the science person was wins. But hey, that's the game.

I can't understand if I'm enjoying Elder Sign. I've played only one co-op game (2 players total) with my sister that had a fever so she wasn't really communicative. I've tried playing solo, and I think I enjoy it? I don't know, I feel lukewarm but I want to pick it and start playing it

Draxal

Ameritrash is Ameritrash (I like Ameritrash fwiw).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I can't understand if I'm enjoying Elder Sign. I've played only one co-op game (2 players total) with my sister that had a fever so she wasn't really communicative. I've tried playing solo, and I think I enjoy it? I don't know, I feel lukewarm but I want to pick it and start playing it

I dont really lioe Elder Sign at all. It commits the cardinal sin of being too easy, which just instantly makes coops uninteresting.

So Marvel Legendary has just been brought to my attention, as well as all the other Legendary series (ALIEN!? ALIENS?!). Has anyone played these before? Does it play like Boss Monster?

61FpTYnS-tL.jpg

zulux21

So Marvel Legendary has just been brought to my attention, as well as all the other Legendary series (ALIEN!? ALIENS?!). Has anyone played these before? Does it play like Boss Monster?

61FpTYnS-tL.jpg

I have played it a lot.
no clue if it plays like boss monster.

you start with a starting deck and use resources to buy new heroes to add to your deck.
meanwhile villain stuff is going on and you have to work to stop a scheme (which decides your lose condition aside from running out of deck) you also have a mastermind that you have to take down.

So my first game night at a game shop went extremely well. Met a lot of nice people and got to try 3 new for me games.

Plague Inc is essentially reverse pandemic where each player is a pathogen trying to infect as much of the world as possible. Played a 4 player game with 3 people who had just played it and got promptly thrashed because they themselves weren't comfortable on the rules and neglected to mention a penalty if you lost all your virus chips on the board. It killed me for 2 turns and I could never recover yet I still didn't come in last. It's got a pretty clever mechanic where you can spend victory points to upgrade your virus and at the end of the game you get those points refunded so when you run our of upgrade spots you have to decide if you want to lose victory points to upgrade to better abilities or continue with what you have. I got stupid luck where every time I rolled to kill a country I got it every time so I kept losing countries with sea and airports to spread my viruses other locations -.- it helped give me bonus points at the end of the game (and event cards during the game) but it limited my ability to go somewhere besides NA. Came in 3rd since I was able to nuke china and discard india so my starting country usa got me 7 bonus victory points for being the largest country a player had destroyed. Overall I liked the game not enough to buy it myself but I would play it again.

7 wonders I mentioned above with 7 players 4 new 2 not comfortable lead to the biggest amount of misplays and no idea what I'm doing syndrome. I was in a race for armies with another player since I thought it was my armies minus your armies is how many penalty points you lose, not 1 per age. I also wasn't told about the discard a card for money rule or how to get wonders so I spent several turns taking stuff that was completely worthless since I couldn't afford to buy the clay and wood I needed early on. Third age I got what I was doing, but I was too far behind to save myself. I want to play again now that I have a solid idea of what I'm doing. The game was a lot of fun once I got it though I do find it telling that the person who won had no idea what she was doing and the experienced and semi experienced players said "new players often win by chaos theory". Came in second to last which was the theme of the night 🤐

Terraforming Mars was a blast and even with 5 players the game moved at a crisp pace. Again it took me awhile to get what I was doing leaving me with crap cards I couldn't play most of the game. I was able to recover, but I hesitated on spending money to get an achievement and milestone and others sniped them where had I played better could have swung me 12 points which was the difference between me coming in second to last and winning the game :V . I really like how the game seems to widly change based upon what cards you and other players buy in each draft. In our game we had half the oceans out by the third generation and a few generations later our tempature meter was basically finished and our oxygen had barely moved. This for sure is a game I want in my collection and we lost track of time thankfully one of the guys in our game worked at the store so he just let us stay and finish.

Experien

So my first game night at a game shop went extremely well. Met a lot of nice people and got to try 3 new for me games.

Plague Inc is essentially reverse pandemic where each player is a pathogen trying to infect as much of the world as possible. Played a 4 player game with 3 people who had just played it and got promptly thrashed because they themselves weren't comfortable on the rules and neglected to mention a penalty if you lost all your virus chips on the board. It killed me for 2 turns and I could never recover yet I still didn't come in last. It's got a pretty clever mechanic where you can spend victory points to upgrade your virus and at the end of the game you get those points refunded so when you run our of upgrade spots you have to decide if you want to lose victory points to upgrade to better abilities or continue with what you have. I got stupid luck where every time I rolled to kill a country I got it every time so I kept losing countries with sea and airports to spread my viruses other locations -.- it helped give me bonus points at the end of the game (and event cards during the game) but it limited my ability to go somewhere besides NA. Came in 3rd since I was able to nuke china and discard india so my starting country usa got me 7 bonus victory points for being the largest country a player had destroyed. Overall I liked the game not enough to buy it myself but I would play it again.

7 wonders I mentioned above with 7 players 4 new 2 not comfortable lead to the biggest amount of misplays and no idea what I'm doing syndrome. I was in a race for armies with another player since I thought it was my armies minus your armies is how many penalty points you lose, not 1 per age. I also wasn't told about the discard a card for money rule or how to get wonders so I spent several turns taking stuff that was completely worthless since I couldn't afford to buy the clay and wood I needed early on. Third age I got what I was doing, but I was too far behind to save myself. I want to play again now that I have a solid idea of what I'm doing. The game was a lot of fun once I got it though I do find it telling that the person who won had no idea what she was doing and the experienced and semi experienced players said "new players often win by chaos theory". Came in second to last which was the theme of the night 🤐

Terraforming Mars was a blast and even with 5 players the game moved at a crisp pace. Again it took me awhile to get what I was doing leaving me with crap cards I couldn't play most of the game. I was able to recover, but I hesitated on spending money to get an achievement and milestone and others sniped them where had I played better could have swung me 12 points which was the difference between me coming in second to last and winning the game :V . I really like how the game seems to widly change based upon what cards you and other players buy in each draft. In our game we had half the oceans out by the third generation and a few generations later our tempature meter was basically finished and our oxygen had barely moved. This for sure is a game I want in my collection and we lost track of time thankfully one of the guys in our game worked at the store so he just let us stay and finish.

What's funny is that I said that is exactly what Plague Inc was and a bunch of people I know jumped down my throat saying it wasn't that.

What's funny is that I said that is exactly what Plague Inc was and a bunch of people I know jumped down my throat saying it wasn't that.

In all fairness plague inc is a competitive game where you attempt to score victory points, pandemic is a coop game where everyone wins or everyone loses. If you removed the themeing I doubt you'd make the comparison. At the same time this game could have easily been called Pandemic: Plague and I doubt anyone would have argued it wasn't a proper pandemic spin off.

Palmer_v1

61FpTYnS-tL.jpg

Not really anything like Boss Monster, IMO.

The Legendary Encounter games are better than the plain Legendary game. I.e. Alien, Predator, Firefly, Big Trouble in Little China. I've only played ALien and Predator though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I've been playing Imperial Assault with my buddy recently, and I asked him how many things he's bought in the game.

He said he has everything that's ever been released.

My question is then: how much has this dude spent on this game?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So I've been playing Imperial Assault with my buddy recently, and I asked him how many things he's bought in the game.

He said he has everything that's ever been released.

My question is then: how much has this dude spent on this game?

600-700 probably.

could be more or less depending on tax, sales, 2nd hand, etc

Re: Legenday vs Legendary Encounters...In case you were wondering, the main difference is Encounters is a pure Co-Op game where Legendary is semi-co-op. Now, you can play Legendary as a pure Co-Op but Encounters adds a few small mechanical changes that make it work better as a co-op. Besides that the main deck building system is the same. You buy cards with stars and defeat baddies with scratches.

I personally prefer the pure co-op of the Encounters line. I think making Marvel Legendary a semi co-op was a dumb move.

Not really anything like Boss Monster, IMO.

The Legendary Encounter games are better than the plain Legendary game. I.e. Alien, Predator, Firefly, Big Trouble in Little China. I've only played ALien and Predator though.
Technically, Big Trouble in Little China is not an Encounters game.

fenners

I personally prefer the pure co-op of the Encounters line. I think making Marvel Legendary a semi co-op was a dumb move.

I thoroughly enjoy Marvel Legendary for what it is, but you really need the first big box expansion to make it at all challenging & have some variety IMO. The main box on its own gets stale quickly.

Taborcarn

I'm just getting into Marvel Legendary and I'm finding it a lot of fun, but I'm mostly playing it solo (tried with both the Advanced Solo rules from Dark City and the Golden Solo variant on BGG).

I don't mind the semi-coop nature, but that's because I consider it mostly competitive. The closest other deck builder I can compare it to is Thunderstone, and that is fully competitive. You have to gain power to fight a conveyer belt of enemies that can have good or bad fight effects, a lot of which can screw over your opponents. You're trying to build the biggest pile of victory points for beating baddies before the endgame is triggered. The main additions of Legendary are the masterminds and the scheme twists, which introduce the cooperative elements. But really they're mostly objectives you'll achieve while trying to fight and gain VPs anyway. So it can really just be played as a competitive game that just happens to have a nuclear option where everyone can lose.

Top Bottom