• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I kinda remember having to unlock it on my copy, but I might be wrong.

Anyways, just beat Return of the Double Dragon on Super Famicom, and was kinda underwhelmed with it actually. The music and graphics are great, and the blocking and new mechanics are also cool, but the enemy variety is bad, there are virtually no bosses, and the levels go on forever. Sad, as I really enjoy the first two Nes-games.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

I just got to play the legendary Nintendo PlayStation prototype at the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo. I've been reading about this since Nintendo and Sony actually parted ways in the early 90s. Feels like I closed a loop on a childhood dream.

We just played Street Fighter II on cartridge, of course.

First takeaway: It's bigger than I thought it would be.

You could also play music CDs instead of game audio if you wanted. The media control buttons on the top would have been very useful in the 90s. It's kind of a shame the actual PS1 made you use a controller to control music.

eXistor

^ Holy shit, that's awesome! I'd love to be able to get my hands on that thing, my respectful hands of course :)

Excuse the famicom/nes games. Got 2 cheapo super famicom games: Thunder Spirits and Mario's Super Picross. The picross was a buck so I figured why not.

6NeAm6P.jpg

Mr. Virus

^ Holy shit, that's awesome! I'd love to be able to get my hands on that thing, my respectful hands of course :)

Excuse the famicom/nes games. Got 2 cheapo super famicom games: Thunder Spirits and Mario's Super Picross. The picross was a buck so I figured why not.

6NeAm6P.jpg

Mario's Super Picross is great. Don't sleep on that. Ended up getting really into Picross games after the free Zelda one on the 3DS and never looked back.

I'm trying to remember whether there was any precedent for certain kinds of games on the SNES.

Was there ever a well-known sidescroller/platformer with a robust upgrade/skill system?

And was there ever a plot-heavy sidescroller/platformer? As in, interspersed with story scenes like you'd have in an RPG.

I'm trying to remember whether there was any precedent for certain kinds of games on the SNES.

Was there ever a well-known sidescroller/platformer with a robust upgrade/skill system?
The first Metroid? Wonder Boy games past the first one? Zeliard? Sort of depends on what "robust" here means, I guess.

And was there ever a plot-heavy sidescroller/platformer? As in, interspersed with story scenes like you'd have in an RPG.
Ninja Gaiden? Probably some film adaptations, too, although Ninja Gaiden probably had the most involved cutscenes, considering.

Morfeo

Would Skyblazer count? I'm trying to remember how plot heavy it was.

There were a lot of text, but i remember it being extremely uninteresting.

Blackthorne, Flashback and Another World were a slightly different genre, but all had decently interesting plots I guess.

The first Metroid? Wonder Boy games past the first one? Zeliard? Sort of depends on what "robust" here means, I guess.

Ninja Gaiden? Probably some film adaptations, too, although Ninja Gaiden probably had the most involved cutscenes, considering.

I guess, as I figured, it's kind of hard to think of games that fit. ...And none of these are SNES games, are they?

In terms of "robust" I'm thinking of being able to equip or swap out a selection of skills to change how you can play. Ninja Gaiden was indeed involved in terms of story, although it's so unique that it's hard to use it as a reference point.

Not having any real examples on the platform is also a useful thing to know - thanks.

Any hype for the SNES mini announcement? Neat to see an official Star Fox 2 release. I wonder if it can be extracted and made playable on SNES hardware in that form.

dubc35

I didn't care too much for the NES classic, but wow I do want a SNES one! I know I won't get one though due to scalpers and Nintendo discontinuing it after 3 days.

Laws00

Any hype for the SNES mini announcement? Neat to see an official Star Fox 2 release. I wonder if it can be extracted and made playable on SNES hardware in that form.

For me I'm semi hype. It all depends on if I can find one. I got lucky getting one at wal mart at like 6 am waiting in line.

When they come out with a Super Famicom mini imma order one from amazon Japan. That I know I'm going to be able to get

The nes mini did nothing for me however the Snes mini might due to the chip emulation. Smrpg, Yoshi's Island and starfox 2 have all remained unplayable on flash carts and emulation is quite spotty. The Snes mini being the price of a loose Smrpg puts it in a real great spot.

Kalnos

Banned
I own all of that except Star Fox 2 (obviously) as expected.
/snob

I will still try to get one because they will be worth a fortune one day. Picked up an NES Classic for that reason.

I own all of that except Star Fox 2 (obviously) as expected.
/snob

I will still try to get one because they will be worth a fortune one day. Picked up an NES Classic for that reason.
NES mini is already worth a grip now. I wonder how high it'll go, lol.

dubc35

Hahaha, they're only shipping it for 3 months?! So good. More units but gtfo Nintendo.

The nes mini did nothing for me however the Snes mini might due to the chip emulation. Smrpg, Yoshi's Island and starfox 2 have all remained unplayable on flash carts and emulation is quite spotty. The Snes mini being the price of a loose Smrpg puts it in a real great spot.
Wow has Smrpg gone up that much? I bought a loose cart from a gaffer for $45 a couple months ago.

Peltz

I'm only hyped for an official rom release. I'm not too enthusiased about the overall product though. Of course, if it were easy to find that would be another story. But I'm not going to make myself crazy to try to acquire an emulator + some roms that will only be available in limited quantities when I still play on OG hardware.

I'm only hyped for an official rom release. I'm not too enthusiased about the overall product though. Of course, if it were easy to find that would be another story. But I'm not going to make myself crazy to try to acquire an emulator + some roms that will only be available in limited quantities when I still play on OG hardware.

Yeah, I suppose that's more where I'm at hypewise. Nothin' beats OG hardware!

Morfeo

Its a great value proposition for sure, but i already own all the games except star fox 2. Might get one for that!

Same, but I would still buy one, because I'm a sucker.

Potential List:

Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Star Fox(I'm really hoping they work out the rights situation)
Final Fantasy III
Super Mario RPG
ActRasier
Super Castlevania IV
Contra III
Super Tecmo Bowl
Mega Man X
Kirbys Dreamland 3
Ms. Pac man
Super Punch Out(maybe)
Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Bomberman
Super Street Fighter II
SImCity(maybe)
One of the Final Fights
I doubt Chrono Trigger would be included, maybe Secret of Mana.

I could see them only putting twenty or twenty five games on it, rather than 30.

I would be shocked if at least two-thirds of that list isn't on the actual SNES mini.

I was pretty close, though quite a few were obvious haha.

Still disappointed that DKC2 didn't make the list. Final Fight 2 or 3 would have been nice too. The SNES mini is lacking simultaneous multiplayer games, where as the NES mini had a solid amount. Still though, awesome selection and including Star Fox 2 is kinda mindblowing.

Danielsan

So I just ordered a boxed Super Famicom with a couple of games on Ebay. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. I mostly wanted to get one in order to play a bunch of non-text heavy games that are way cheaper on SFC. However, I was also wondering if there are any converters to play NTSC (American) SNES games on the Super Famicom? It would save me the hassle (and cash) of buying an American SNES in order to play English SNES carts in 60hz.
I own a Fire FX converter for my PAL system, but I doubt that will fit / work with the PAL SNES. Any recommendations?

So I just ordered a boxed Super Famicom with a couple of games on Ebay. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. I mostly wanted to get one in order to play a bunch of non-text heavy games that are way cheaper on SFC. However, I was also wondering if there are any converters to play NTSC (American) SNES games on the Super Famicom? It would save me the hassle (and cash) of buying an American SNES in order to play English SNES carts in 60hz.
I own a Fire FX converter for my PAL system, but I doubt that will fit / work with the PAL SNES. Any recommendations?

It's just a physical barrier keeping you from playing NA SNES games on Super Famicom. There's no software lockout to speak of. Any sort of pass through adapter should work, or if you don't mind physically mutilating your system you can expand the cart flat to accommodate the NA carts.

-KRS-

Yeah the PAL converter you have will be fine. I use a similar converter myself to play US games on my SFC. You won't even need to have a game in the back like you do on PAL systems.

It will also work for playing your PAL games on your SFC. Just put an NTSC game in the back of the converter instead.

Danielsan

Yeah the PAL converter you have will be fine. I use a similar converter myself to play US games on my SFC. You won't even need to have a game in the back like you do on PAL systems.

It will also work for playing your PAL games on your SFC. Just put an NTSC game in the back of the converter instead.
Man that's great news! I wanted a 60hz solution and getting a US SNES in Europe is a pain in the butt / more expensive than getting a Super Famicom. Thanks guys!

Peagles

Is it possible to reverse dump the Star Fox 2 ROM out of the Super NES Mini and put it into a gutted Winter Gold cart?

What if it's just a downloaded ROM off the internet though? Lol

Impossible to answer confidently until we have it in hand I think, but I'd say so.

Morfeo

Had an old friend over this evening, and we had a real Snes-night. Played Wild Guns, Sunset Riders, Contra 3 and Turtles in Time. Konami was golden those days! Managed to beat Sunset Riders and TiT (on easy though). Four awesome games for sure!

Cogwheels

Neo Member
The SNES Classic announcement totally reinvigorated my SNES purchasing urges...so I've just managed to pick up Ogre Battle, Lemmings, Equinox, Aero The Acrobat, Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury 2 & Toy Story for a good price

Morfeo

Ogre Battle? That must have cost you. Anyways, how are the Lemmings-games for Snes? Playable without the mouse?

Cogwheels

Neo Member
It was £60 for a loose cart. Nice label too. I think that's about the going rate?

Lemmings plays pretty well. Controls are not as responsive as a mouse, but it compensates nicely

Top Bottom