• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Craft

First off, consider Cruis'n World (good conversion with some stuff added) but forget about Cruis'n USA (very very bad port).

Some titles that might be of interested but aren't in your list(s):
Shadowgate 64
Bust a Move 99
San Francisco Rush
Rush 2
San Francisco Rush 2048
Gauntlet Legends

Thanks for these, I have played Gauntlet and wasn't too impressed, but I'll look into the others. I did have a chance to buy Rush 2048 mint boxed for £15 last year, boy do I regret not picking that up now :D

RoadDogg

So I went through my game list above on pricecharting and came up with $2600 as the value. Is that a decent place to use for estimates? My thoughts are to sell them in bulk at 50% off, so $1300 (assuming I can find someone semi local and not have to deal with shipping). Any thoughts on if that is too high/low?

So I went through my game list above on pricecharting and came up with $2600 as the value. Is that a decent place to use for estimates? My thoughts are to sell them in bulk at 50% off, so $1300 (assuming I can find someone semi local and not have to deal with shipping). Any thoughts on if that is too high/low?
I'm not very familiar with Nin 64 pricing but pricecharting is a good ballpark figure. 50% off that should be reasonable.

WillyFive

Bought this off-brand N64 controller (albeit in Gold).

61Ri4xCRcPL._SL1000_.jpg

Don't.

It sucks. Buttons don't spring back fast enough, the analog stick is crusty and doesn't send signals correctly, and the edges of the controller feel awful, as if they weren't sanded correctly.

Bought this off-brand N64 controller (albeit in Gold).

[...]

Don't.

It sucks. Buttons don't spring back fast enough, the analog stick is crusty and doesn't send signals correctly, and the edges of the controller feel awful, as if they weren't sanded correctly.

Third party N64 controllers are really hit or miss. The best ones I find that won't break your bank is the Superpad/Makopad 64 and even then, they're becoming a bit difficult to find if online shopping isn't your cup of tea.

So I've come across a local ad that's selling the Hori Minipad and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to snatch one up even though I'm fine with my SuperPad 64+. Price is 80 dollars vs. eBay listings selling it for over 100.

-KRS-

So I've come across a local ad that's selling the Hori Minipad and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to snatch one up even though I'm fine with my SuperPad 64+. Price is 80 dollars vs. eBay listings selling it for over 100.

You could always buy it and try it, and if you don't like it you can flip it on ebay for a profit.

Lynd7

Having had my N64 connected to my PVM for awhile, I thought I'd give it a run on through the UltraHDMI, looking at the settings again it got me thinking.. Is it better to set the system to 720p and the integer+ mode than doing 1080p with the normal integer mode?

What's a good solution for displaying and protecting N64 cartridges?

I saw these from Rose Colored Gaming, but they're a bit pricier than I'd like and they don't protect the game. I'm considering just grabbing some small plastic boxes online, but I'm hoping for something a bit more premium.

edit: These acrylic cases are really nice, but shipping is ridiculous to Canada.

Lynd7

What's a good solution for displaying and protecting N64 cartridges?

I saw these from Rose Colored Gaming, but they're a bit pricier than I'd like and they don't protect the game. I'm considering just grabbing some small plastic boxes online, but I'm hoping for something a bit more premium.

Just looking around Rose Colored Gaming, they seem to be making actual cases now, I wonder how these compare to Stone Age Gamers BitBoxes..

https://rosecoloredgaming.glopal.com/en-CA/p-8625/nintendo-64-custom-game-cases.html

Just looking around Rose Colored Gaming, they seem to be making actual cases now, I wonder how these compare to Stone Age Gamers BitBoxes..

https://rosecoloredgaming.glopal.com/en-CA/p-8625/nintendo-64-custom-game-cases.html

The Rose Colored Gaming ones look a little more sturdy compared to the BitBoxes. Though I guess someone would have to do a side-by-side comparison.

I'm looking for something that will display the cartridge itself. I got a Super Mario 64 cartridge signed by Charles Martinet, and I want to finally get around to showing it off in all its glory.

Coreda

Have any N64 peeps bought Raphnet USB adapters? They come in single and dual port (pictured) versions and was hoping for some impressions and if there are any issues people have encountered. Also available is a plugin they made for Mupen/Project64 which allows for USB 'direct access' to the controllers for the emulators, with setup-free button and accessories support.

Came across them from a thread on another forum as the person also produces Dreamcast USB adapters.

600074atmyu5.jpg

The last adapter I bought was one of those cheapie PS1/N64 dual adapters many moons ago but it's picky with which controllers it supports so I've only ever utilized my Adaptoid (though it's been years since I last emulated the 64).

I posted a pickup in the SNES thread and mentioned I got it with a couple N64 games. Here are the 2 N64 games I got in that pickup. Was super happy to get these cheap and in the condition they are in.

This pickup reminded me that N64 boxes don't hold up as well as the SNES boxes. A lot of the N64 boxes crush since they don't have the inner tray but the material used is of a lesser quality overall as well.

Peltz

Have any N64 peeps bought Raphnet USB adapters? They come in single and dual port (pictured) versions and was hoping for some impressions and if there are any issues people have encountered. Also available is a plugin they made for Mupen/Project64 which allows for USB 'direct access' to the controllers for the emulators, with setup-free button and accessories support.

Came across them from a thread on another forum as the person also produces Dreamcast USB adapters.

600074atmyu5.jpg

The last adapter I bought was one of those cheapie PS1/N64 dual adapters many moons ago but it's picky with which controllers it supports so I've only ever utilized my Adaptoid (though it's been years since I last emulated the 64).

I haven't tried the USB adapters, but Raph makes really great stuff and stands by his products. I'd buy with confidence from him.

Everything I've bought from him has worked really well with no lag and I'm someone who definitely pays attention to that sort of thing.

Coreda

I haven't tried the USB adapters, but Raph makes really great stuff and stands by his products. I'd buy with confidence from him.

Everything I've bought from him has worked really well with no lag and I'm someone who definitely pays attention to that sort of thing.

Thanks for the rec.

IIRC rich! Uses that adapter with a wave bird and said it worked "flawlessly"

Kalnos

Banned
Nostalgia is truly a drug. I wonder if it'll get to the point where people will try shady things like repro carts that look nearly identical until you see its guts.

Speaking of that, does anyone have an example of what one of these repro carts looks like inside? I have seen GBA/SNES repro guts but never N64.

alf717

Does Mega Man 64 use the expansion pak? My box says no (no pak icon listed) but the internet says yes. If so, what does it enhance?

ephemeral

Can someone please explain to me what benefits there are to using an Everdrive v3? Is it possible to save the games to it instead of using a Memory Pak? Making the console region free doesn't matter since I play on an NTSC anyway.

Big thing is that it saves permanently automatically. With the 2.5 you need to hit reset for the saves to persist.

It also has an RTC so you can play Doubutsu no Mori and Pokemon Stadium 2.

Edit: Actually Krikzz has you covered:

Top Bottom