• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mareg

Hmmm, ok where is my Baldur's Gate fully win7 64bit compatible ?

all will be forgiven GoG. I could still love you xoxoxo.
Twinsen odyssey (little big planet 2) would make my year.

notworksafe

water_wendi said:
The message didnt say they were totally shutting down.
It said the service was shutting down. Sounds like it to me. Not that I care too much, I suppose. I got most of the games I wanted from them before all of this.

Kifimbo

BobsRevenge said:
While the PR was purposefully misleading, it never actually said they were totally shutting down.

It wasn't only the messag on the website. The Twitter message was clearly misleading.

Snow

mantidor said:
It actually enphasizes their strong point, if this happens to Steam you are screwed. With GOG you would've lost nothing.

I'm not saying it was a clever move, but I can see where they are coming from.
It emphasizes the fact that DRM-free is awesome, sure. But one of the things I like about these services, and what makes me pay for them, is that I always have access to a copy 'in the cloud' of all the games I've bought. That, at least for me, is part of their value proposition. And judging by all the people who mentioned buying stuff only to download it much later, I'm not the only one who relies on that part of their service. Sure they said they would provide someway to get our stuff out in a week when they announced the fake closing, but they still pulled an integral part of their service offline to get some press.

Vorador

Banned
So we were pranked?
2gsioeb.jpg

notworksafe

Snow said:
It emphasizes that the fact that DRM-free is awesome, sure. But one of things I like about these services, and what makes me pay for them, is that I always have access to a copy 'in the cloud' of all the games I've bought. That, at least for me, is part of their value proposition. And judging by all the people who mentioned buying stuff only to download it much later, I'm not the only one who relies on that part of their service. Sure they said they would provide someway to get our stuff out in a week when they announced the fake closing, but the still pulled an integral part of their service offline to get some press.
Yeah, I guess I'll download all the games I got from them now. I hadn't done it before because I'd assumed they'd always be around somewhere. Now I know to at least keep a backup.
And I should have known that before this too.

hamchan

water_wendi said:
Umm.. they did give fair warning? They said you would be able to download your games later this week in the original message.
Fair warning before they pulled this stunt. What about a consumer who wanted to download and play Fallout in the week they were "shut down"?

All this tells me is that GOG doesn't respect their userbase.

androvsky

duckroll said:
Maybe the Polish have a different sense of humor? Could be cultural? I really have no idea.

Well, I could see how an eastern European company would need the business equivalent of gallows humor.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Holy shit Baldur's Gate is exciting. I wonder what other big hitters are coming. Tomb Raider 1-5 would be to die for as would System Shock 2/Thief.

Chrange

Banned
Terrible decision, PR-wise. There are bound to be people who think the site is closed for good and moved on to another site, or other people who have just now heard about it and that fleeting impression is that it's closing or closed. I wonder if the expanded coverage will bring in more potential customers than it turned away.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Shogun said:
This is like the time Merrill Lynch said they lost all the money in my 401K then threw a pie at my face. Totally awesome.
That would actually be hilarious and a great story to tell at parties. :lol :lol

firehawk12 said:
Maybe I'm naive to trust "big companies", but I just assume MS and Sony will be around in the long term.

I'm sure the companies Microsoft and Sony won't go anywhere, but what on Earth makes you think they'll keep supporting the downloads and services they're supporting now? I don't think it's a stretch at all to imagine the current version of XBLA being shut down forever, and unlike GOG that would mean no more playing your XBLA games.

duckroll said:
So when was the last stunt you saw involving a retailer/service provider pretending to shut down due to problems, and then having a joke press conference later telling everyone it was just a prank?

Not quite the same thing, but White Wolf pulled a very similar stunt for about a week in like 2002 or something, which generated a ton of heat but not much light (in terms of people actually quitting being customers.) It doesn't surprise me particularly that the people at CD Projekt have the same arrested sense of "humor."

GOG.com said:
First of all we would like to apologize everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts!

Now it's time we put an end to all the speculations once and for all. It’s true that we decided that we couldn't keep GOG.com the way it was… so we won’t. As you probably know by now, GOG.com is entering its new era with an end of the two-years beta stage and we're launching a brand new GOG.com with new, huge releases.

The new GOG.com will launch at 8.00 a.m. EDT (2 p.m. CET). Later today we'll provide you here 4 videos where you'll find all needed information on current events, as well as news on the new GOG.com, the upcoming big releases and the summary of the last two years.

now on site

Polk

duckroll said:
Maybe the Polish have a different sense of humor? Could be cultural? I really have no idea.
No, we don't have different sense of humor. It wast stupid prank and cheap publicity stunt.

Munin

Chrange said:
Terrible decision, PR-wise. There are bound to be people who think the site is closed for good and moved on to another site, or other people who have just now heard about it and that fleeting impression is that it's closing or closed. I wonder if the expanded coverage will bring in more potential customers than it turned away.

There were 700+ people on the conference stream alone. I'd argue that the people actually interested in GOG games will have heard about this stunt at this point one way or another.

Fuck you, GOG. Seriously. As a supporter since launch and a fan of their web technologies I gotta say this was the most tasteless way to handle this.

I'm done with these clowns. Not supporting this type of shenanigans at all.

Minsc

Gold Member
notworksafe said:
Yeah, I guess I'll download all the games I got from them now. I hadn't done it before because I'd assumed they'd always be around somewhere. Now I know to at least keep a backup.
And I should have known that before this too.

As inconceivable as it sounds, I think their dumb point was if another service were to go down, you'd be SoL, however all your GoG games continued to work.

The PROBLEM is, another service would definitely not just drop out of the sky like GoG did, they'd tell their userbase like a normal company... look we're selling/closing our doors in a few weeks and stuff is going to change. At least, I'd think that's how a normal company would handle it.

GoG chose the most stupid way possible to make this point, but at the end of the day, hopefully they continue to acquire DRM-free unreleased old games, and this never happens again.

Glad I wasn't able to get Shadow Magic from Impulse, I'd much rather have it from GoG, and soon it looks like I will. Now for them announce releasing BG2, IWD, IWD2, and Planescape Torment, and all the rest of the great games they can get their hands on.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well, at least this was interesting. Everybody making assumptions, crazy rumours flying everywhere, I even made a stupid thread, but in the end it was fun.... I guess :lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Ironically it's cheaper for me just to get the discs. Then again with them I have a chance it's going to work in Win 7 64bit and no install time.
The discs already work in Win 7 64-bit. The install is still a bitch though, ill give you that :lol

Shogun said:
This is like the time Merrill Lynch said they lost all the money in my 401K then threw a pie at my face. Totally awesome.

I know some people who got wiped out from top to bottom by the whole Madoff thing. I think any of them would've been happy in retrospect if it'd been a prank instead. :lol

hamchan

I'd still buy games from these guys if it's worth it. It's just that my respect for CDprojeckt was super high before this stunt and now it's super low. Like, way to go, your PR sucks balls.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
firehawk12 said:
Honestly, I'm assuming that my games won't work on the Xbox 720 or the PS4. But if it comes down to that, I expect that they'll do something to at least give me confidence in buying their next console. Of course, maybe they'll screw us in 5-10 years and at that point we can bitch about it then but I just believe that companies aren't going to alienate their core userbase.
Do you think you will be able to play your 360 Live Arcade games on the next console?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
charlequin said:
I'm sorry... I can't read that sentence with a straight face. :lol
Naive, I know. :p

water_wendi said:
Do you think you will be able to play your 360 Live Arcade games on the next console?

The first sentence of my quote says that I don't expect that to be the case. I'm just assuming that I'll either be able to still use my Xbox 360/PS3 and the old servers will still be up or that MS and Sony will be smart and offer some kind of reimbursement for spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on their services.

Drek

notworksafe said:
I said "could be screwed". What if they actually shut down and people were unable to download games? I don't know...just seems stupid to say "we're shutting down!" instead of "we're upgrading our site!".

Doesn't that underscore a major selling point for GOG over Steam, Impulse, etc. though?

GOG lets you download the full installable of the game and store it however you see fit. On a disc drive, flash, burn it to disc, whatever. If you take literally 5 minutes or less after completing the initial download of a new GOG purchase you can have it backed up permanently.

To this point I believe they're the only digital distro games platform that offers that feature.

Sounds like a joke that didn't go over well, nothing more. It would've been a damn shame if GOG really did go under. I look forward to the servers coming back up, at which time I'll be dropping more dollars on more great old games.

notworksafe

Polk said:
Actually they always were using something like "in current form".

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.
Granted, they did say the idea wasn't gone. But a statement like this doesn't say to me "We'll be back in a couple of days with a redesigned site".

Drek said:
Doesn't that underscore a major selling point for GOG over Steam, Impulse, etc. though?

GOG lets you download the full installable of the game and store it however you see fit. On a disc drive, flash, burn it to disc, whatever. If you take literally 5 minutes or less after completing the initial download of a new GOG purchase you can have it backed up permanently.

To this point I believe they're the only digital distro games platform that offers that feature.

Sounds like a joke that didn't go over well, nothing more. It would've been a damn shame if GOG really did go under. I look forward to the servers coming back up, at which time I'll be dropping more dollars on more great old games.
Steam lets you backup your games and gives you the related CD keys for the games as well.

mantidor

subversus said:
I struggled to make them work properly on my system, so yes, looking forward to possible announcements

I'm on the same boat. This would have been an amazing announcement, but I'll guess Baldur's Gate will do. I assume the game is good if they thought it would be a great comeback after a fake shutting down.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
notworksafe said:
Granted, they did say the idea wasn't gone. But a statement like this doesn't say to me "We'll be back in a couple of days with a redesigned site".
You forgot the four sentences before that that say Gog is going away "in its current form."

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
EVILORE: IM CLOSING GAF THIS WEEK, BYE LOLZ

Two weeks later:

EVILORE: Lolz,joking doods! Check the new Search feature!!

notworksafe

water_wendi said:
You forgot the four sentences before that that say Gog is going away "in its current form."
But what does that mean? Will they be selling Good Old Icecream? Or Grumpy Old Grannies? Saying things like "going away" and "shutting down" is a bad PR call, no matter what. I love that people can defend it, however.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fersis said:
EVILORE: IM CLOSING GAF THIS WEEK, BYE LOLZ

Two weeks later:

EVILORE: Lolz,joking doods! Check the new Search feature!!
:lol

i miss search/user look-ups :(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
notworksafe said:
But what does that mean? Will they be selling Good Old Icecream? Or Grumpy Old Grannies? Saying things like "going away" and "shutting down" is a bad PR call, no matter what. I love that people can defend it, however.
If you thought they were going to start selling ice-cream that explains a lot :lol

Thomper

water_wendi said:
... still, though. Why play around with it like that? You're a business, with paying customers, some who have invested hundreds of dollars in the products on your site. Shutting down, unexpectedly, with no clear indication of what's happening, for an entire week: it's shitty. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom