• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sega doesn't have any walled garden of their own and are happy to steamwork everything, which works fine for many people. CoH 2 is already a steamworks game, so we wouldn't see any delay/problem with Relic being forced to change it for Origin or whatever.

Sega has done a great job supporting Creative Assembly, which has grown a lot under their umbrella doing what they are good at. Same with Football Manager. Actually their western arm is mostly focused on strategy games, with some car game in between.

Sega already has a deal with Games Workshop for Warhammer Fantasy, so it would be reasonable they could reach an agreement for Relic to keep working on 40.000 games.

The big thing is, is that given CA and SE has operated as usual and made the games we were expecting from them, Sega is probably the best candidate to make sure Relic keeps doing what they do without big changes.

I like the sounds of this. They seem to be letting Creative Assembly do what they do best and everyone wins. I feel a little better now. Thanks for the info.

DAWN OF WAR: TOTAL WAR needs to happen.

I like the sounds of this even better....

Corto

Based on what Nirolak posted

They seem to have plenty of cash to make a serious effort at grabbing Relic and anything else they might want.

And from the lot I would think that Relic would be the least disputed and consequently less expensive to make a winning bid.

HoosTrax

If Sega saves Relic then I'll buy their stupid cart racing game as a thank you.
I already preordered their stupid cart racing game...I'll have to settle for preordering CoH2 instead, if it comes to pass.

Actually, I still haven't gotten around to buying Generations, so that works as well.

sflufan

Banned
If SEGA does acquire Relic, I guess I'll have to show my gratitude by purchasing Aliens: Colonial Marines for that 30% discount from GMG.

TaroYamada

Wait people on Gaf didn't know segasammy had massive cash on hand? The move to digital distribution outside of large retail franchises wasn't SEGA surrendering, it was SEGA recognizing the shifting tides and where the future of our industry lies.

Anyways, Relic + SEGA is a great fit. They've managed Creative Assembly fantastically.

Erethian

Wait people on Gaf didn't know segasammy had massive cash on hand? The move to digital distribution outside of large retail franchises wasn't SEGA surrendering, it was SEGA recognizing the shifting tides and where the future of our industry lies.

Anyways, Relic + SEGA is a great fit. They've managed Creative Assembly fantastically.

The reason they have so much cash isn't because of Sega, though, it's because of Sammy and their non-gaming divisions.

TaroYamada

The reason they have so much cash isn't because of Sega, though, it's because of Sammy and their non-gaming divisions.

Of course but regardless SEGASammy's business move was correct, even EA retracted from retail BIG TIME, they just didn't make some big slightly grave sounding announcement about it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

GAF tends to misunderstand a lot of things. Sega were never in any trouble due to the magical world of pachinko.

As for the Sega & PC thing, it probably helps that Sega have had their pie in the PC sphere since the mid-late 90s when shoddy ports of Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona were the norm. They obviously saw it as a different avenue for profit back then. With the advent of Steam it has only helped them.

Now I just want Yazkua on PC.

Almighty

And from the lot I would think that Relic would be the least disputed and consequently less expensive to make a winning bid.

I hope so. Based on rumors though I believe their two biggest competitors for Relic are Ubisoft and EA who both also have pretty deep pockets. I am really hoping that Sega who seems to really be focusing on the PC strategy market wants it more then the other two. I really don't want to stop playing Relic games do to their stupid new owner's walled garden.

TaroYamada

GAF tends to misunderstand a lot of things. Sega were never in any trouble due to the magical world of pachinko.

As for the Sega & PC thing, it probably helps that Sega have had their pie in the PC sphere since the mid-late 90s when shoddy ports of Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona were the norm. They obviously saw it as a different avenue for profit back then. With the advent of Steam it has only helped them.

They were doing a lot on PC back in the 90's, heat.net (via SegaSoft) chiefly. I also want Yakuza on PC! Do it SEGA!

Acosta

I knew Sega had no cash problem thanks to Sammy, but we come from a period where they have closed offices worldwide and refocus their videogames operation to go digital, so I had serious doubts they would have the green light to buy another studio after reporting 54 millions pounds of loss.

"SEGA is entering a new and exciting phase that will position the company as a content led organisation maximising sales with strong and balanced IP such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Total War, Football Manager and the Aliens franchise. The company will benefit from a clear focus and realigned strategy for our digital business and packaged goods and we are confident that this will lead to a successful future."

I knew Sega had no cash problem thanks to Sammy, but we come from a period where they have closed offices worldwide and refocus their videogames operation to go digital, so I had serious doubts they would have the green light to buy another studio after reporting 54 millions pounds of loss.

But the loss was entirely traditional retail, no?

Eusis

I also suspect they realize many of their choices for retail just weren't doing well most anywhere. Platinum's a critical darling (usually), but definitely not a sales one. MGR's probably the only possible exception, and that's part of the Metal Gear franchise and may mean nothing for their upcoming Wii U titles.

I do hope that means they'll still get stuff like Yakuza 5 out here, though if they don't I have myself to blame partially for waiting until Yakuza 3 and 4 were dirt cheap. Actually I should plow through the series if they do announce 5, just so I can rationally buy it day one.

markot

Banned
Im guessing with total war and football manager PC has been pretty profitable for Sega, so it seems natural they would try to get another top tier pc dev on board if they can.

Hell, Relic is still around because its been making money for THQ, otherwise it would have been canned like the other 99 studios they closed up.

DocSeuss

I'm more interested in what Turtle Rock was offering than Desilets or any of THQ's other stuff, in terms of new games.

Those dudes made Left 4 Dead. Even Valve couldn't make a better game, as demonstrated with Left 4 Dead 2.

REALLY want whatever they were doing.

DocSeuss

EA might remove it from steam and some really older titles might be fucked due to licensing.

I think as soon as the rights go to someone else, Valve has to remove them. They can't sell the games without giving the money to whoever owns it. If they can't ink a new deal, it's gone. It's likely that the games will be removed, at least temporarily, shortly after this is all resolved.

It's also highly unlikely that EA would remove any games from Steam. They try to put everything they can on the service, with the only exceptions being games that have Origin-specific DLC. No reason to remove, say, Saint's Row 2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm more interested in what Turtle Rock was offering than Desilets or any of THQ's other stuff, in terms of new games.

Those dudes made Left 4 Dead. Even Valve couldn't make a better game, as demonstrated with Left 4 Dead 2.

REALLY want whatever they were doing.

Dude, you have so many wrong opinions.

Eusis

I think as soon as the rights go to someone else, Valve has to remove them. They can't sell the games without giving the money to whoever owns it. If they can't ink a new deal, it's gone. It's likely that the games will be removed, at least temporarily, shortly after this is all resolved.

It's also highly unlikely that EA would remove any games from Steam. They try to put everything they can on the service, with the only exceptions being games that have Origin-specific DLC. No reason to remove, say, Saint's Row 2.
It'd honestly probably be too much effort for the likes of SR2. That's made to use Steam as its DRM, you'd have to go hire CD Projekt Red to scrub it out, may as well just get it on Steam and even provide a key on Origin.

If Relic does end up going to Sega I would be a happy man. It's probably the best case scenario for them. I'm still worried about Volition though. I have this terrible feeling that they will end up with EA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I wouldn't exactly call allowing only EA Partners titles to be published on Steam "trying to put everything they can on the service". When EA removed a few games from Steam in 2011, blaming Valve's new DLC policy -- a non-retroactive policy, meaning it didn't even apply to the games EA pulled -- the only titles to return were those published via EA Partners (Crysis 2 namely). Did Dragon Age 2, developed by BioWare and published by EA, make it back? Nope, and post-release content support has long ceased.

DocSeuss

It'd honestly probably be too much effort for the likes of SR2. That's made to use Steam as its DRM, you'd have to go hire CD Projekt Red to scrub it out, may as well just get it on Steam and even provide a key on Origin.

SR2 has Steam as the DRM? Didn't know that. I knew SR3 did.

I wouldn't exactly call allowing only EA Partners titles to be published on Steam "trying to put everything they can on the service". When EA removed a few games from Steam in 2011, blaming Valve's new DLC policy -- a non-retroactive policy, meaning it didn't even apply to the games EA pulled -- the only titles to return were those published via EA Partners (Crysis 2 namely). Did Dragon Age 2, developed by BioWare and published by EA, make it back? Nope.

Crysis 2 was returned only after the DLC for the game was included in the Maximum edition. Dragon Age 2's DLC has not been made available on Steam, so it has not returned. It's worth noting that Crysis 2 and DA2's DLC launched after Steam's policy change. I do not believe the same is true for Dirt 3's DLC, and so on and so forth.

Off the top of my head, the only EA game that could be on Steam (but isn't) is Syndicate.

I could be wrong on all this. It's been a long, exhausting day, and I'm not sure why I'm even still awake.

Sweet dreams, y'all.

TaroYamada

If Relic does end up going to Sega I would be a happy man. It's probably the best case scenario for them. I'm still worried about Volition though. I have this terrible feeling that they will end up with EA.

WB has bigger pockets than EA, and I am sure they want that franchise. I personally think they are more likely to win the bidding for Saints Row/Volition.

JaseC

Crysis 2 was returned only after the DLC for the game was included in the Maximum edition.

Yes, I know.

Dragon Age 2's DLC has not been made available on Steam, so it has not returned.

Yes, I know. I'm not seeing a point here -- the games shouldn't have been removed at all as the DLC policy EA blamed didn't even apply to them, meaning the DLC offered for the games could have been sold outside of Steam with EA reaping all of the revenue, as it so clearly desired.

So to sum up this thread...

Sega ==> Relic
Ubi Soft ==> South Park: Stick of Truth

Sega picking up Relic is not a bad thing... but Ubi Soft? Err... the thought of buying Stick of Truth of Uplay doesn't seem very appealing to me at all.

DocSeuss

The company that owns E1 Music? Holy low budget, Batman.

Deep Silver would be the publisher then?

Yes, I know.

Yes, I know. I'm not seeing a point here -- the games shouldn't have been removed at all as the DLC policy EA blamed didn't even apply to them, meaning the DLC offered for the games could have been sold outside of Steam with EA reaping all of the revenue, as it so clearly desired.

I believe you are mistaken, as I clarified in my above edit.

It absolutely would apply to them.

Wiktor

PC wise, WB and Activision are just way better than EA and Ubi,they release PC versions of their games most of the time unlike the other two and also they don't force a shitty client on your face like EA(Origin) or Ubi(uplay)

Ubisoft at least makes PC exclusives. Warner Bros and Activision would mean zero chances for new RTS from Relic. With Ubisoft there still would be a chance, even if not a big one.
Sega is by far the best choice though. They've been treating their PC devs extremely well, Relic under them would be a dream come true.

JaseC

I believe you are mistaken, as I clarified in my above edit.

It absolutely would apply to them.

It doesn't matter that the DLC launched after the DLC policy came into the effect; the games themselves released prior to it and so they're not affected by the change. I provided a case in point in my post but you've missed it so I'll reiterate here: EA pulled the games circa June 2011, and despite the hot air about Valve being the root cause, Dirt 3 has no DLC for sale via Steam even though virtually all of it released in June, July and August 2011.

WB has bigger pockets than EA, and I am sure they want that franchise. I personally think they are more likely to win the bidding for Saints Row/Volition.

I think WB would be a great fit for them and I personally hope that is where they end up. I guess I'm just feeling a bit pessimistic.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

What was the last game EA put on Steam? Alice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom