• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For February 2017 [Up1: For Honor highest LTD game of 2017 so far]

legend166

If we're only looking at those two, it's not even close to turning in favor of last gen. Since Microsoft launched a year earlier last time, but they came out in the same month this time, there's two ways we could compare:

1. Launch-aligned, so Nov 2005-Jan 2009 for 360, and Nov 2006-Jan 2010 for PS3
2. First three years with both on market, Nov 2006-Jan 2010 for both

But why bother choosing? Let's add option 3, cumulative sales of both machines from Nov 2005-Jan 2010: the first four years of 360 and the first three years of PS3. That total is 30.4m. By contrast, the combined sales for the Nov 2013-Jan 2017 of Xbox One/PS4 are 33.8m. So even with adding an extra year of sales to last gen, current gen still has a lead of ~3.4m units.

That gap will shrink in the next year, but not disappear. Last gen sold 11.1m units in that period, and I'd project current gen to hit ~9.8m. In 2011/2018, the numbers should be something like 11.8m/9.1m. So last gen takes over in January 2019...except all this is option 3, including that extra year of 360. Remove that, and you get option 2: last gen's HD twins don't pass this gen's until the end of 2019. Make the comparison launch-aligned as in option 1, and it'd be near the end of 2020 before last gen passes this.

Your guess is years too early. Whether almost two, three, or four years too early depends how you compare.

Total hardware sales will go down, yes. But that's mostly not due to Sony and Microsoft, but Nintendo. (And even that would be mitigated if you count WiiU and Switch as both being this generation.)

Oh yeah sorry, my comment wasn't worded correctly. I'm wondering if this is the year we start to see the gap close again, not that last gen will take over this year.

Hyun Sai

The "Marketing" argument to justify For Honor and Wildlands numbers is hilarious when we know those 2 games had Open Beta for everyone to test the product before jumping in.

Seems like many players liked what they played after all.

RexNovis

Banned
"All of our new IP's are successful"

Monkey's Paw

"The sequels shall falter."

^^^^^
There is always a cost.

So, Ghost Recon, Zelda and Horizon will be top 3 next month and they'll probably be in that order in terms of placement, yeah?

Mass Effect will likely be up there off brand recognition alone. I doubt it will have much in the way of legs though if the first 10 hours is anything to go by.

Opinions, how do they work?

Just because For Honor and Wildlands aren't your cup of tea doesn't mean they're not good. They are good, and they appeal to a wider user base.

Do you have any idea how good it is that a niche game (samurai dark souls, come on) charted top 10?

Perspective.

Edit: also, a critically acclaimed female-led robot dinosaur game is likely to be #1 or 2 next month.

Seriously, SP gaming isn't dead. RE7, Horizon, and Zelda all seem to be doing well, as mentioned above DS3 (and its cousin Bloodborne) is doing well, Nioh and Nier are beating expectations everywhere, Mass Effect (which isn't really sold on its MP) and Yuka Laylee are coming out soon too. The Last Guardian is only a few months old. We just got high quality sequels to Doom and Hitman last year.

Sure, Deus Ex and Dishonored flopped, but these things happen.

Relax people.

Mass Effect will likely be up there off brand recognition alone. I doubt it will have much in the way of legs though if the first 10 hours is anything to go by.
Forgot about Mass Effect.

Mass Effect > Ghost > Horizon > Zelda?
Mass Effect > Ghost > Zelda > Horizon?
Ghost > Mass Effect > Horizon > Zelda?

I see Zelda below Horizon and Ghost Recon.

Ghost Recon first, Horizon second because they have a bigger install base
Makes sense.

RexNovis

Banned
Forgot about Mass Effect.

Mass Effect > Ghost > Horizon > Zelda?

Makes sense.

GR:W has been selling unbelievably well in other markets. I mean it even sold extremely well in Japan for crying out loud. so I think it has the number 1 spot locked up. I think Mass Effect will take number 2. Horizon and Zelda will be fairly close. I keep changing my mind about which I see selling more. I could see it going either way. ALso worth mentioning that ME and GR:W will both include digital revenue where as Horizon and Zelda will not so they are almost guaranteed to rank higher in the NPD revenue chart.

packy34

Rainbow Six, over a year later, cracks the top 10. What an unbelievable turnaround for the dev team. Game still has some really annoying issues, but they've done an amazing job fostering the community and breathing life into the game.

Unrivaled

Banned
I'm guessing..

Ghost Recon
Mass Effect
Horizon
Zelda

im guessing

Zelda> Horizon> Ghost R> Mass Effect

i just have a feeling
dont think this ME will sell very well
edit:
Worldwide is a different story but in the States i feel like GR and ME will bomb not bomb but just not sell the numbers ppl are expecting

Welfare

Ubisoft.

Something something insert game here "deserves" more

Salt
It is always funny to see the Ubisoft hate, as if they make shit games. The games they produce are better than most of the stuff put out there but for some reason some here on GAF don't like that.

wapplew

Any other shoot-bang multiplayer took 1st place I would roll my eyes, not For Honor.
For Honor is fresh and bold, deserve all the sales, no complaint aside from P2P connection choice.
Great job Ubi.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well, I've been saying FH opened huge and here we are. That digital share like 56% too, damn

RexNovis

Banned
Zelda is on the WiiU as welll dont forget..
i just get this feeling Zelda is gonna sell all month long

This does not mean what you seem to think it does... The chances of Zelda outselling Ghost Recon are essentially 0. Its not happening.

Well, I've been saying FH opened huge and here we are. That digital share like 56% too, damn

Wow! That is massive! Is this total revenue (including in game transactions) or specifically revenue from SW copies sold at retail vs digital?

burgerdog

GTA V still as high as ever, we're not getting another GTA for a very long time are we ?

Don't be silly, it's not like Rockstar is just twiddling their thumbs waiting for V to stop selling and then get to work on VI. A new game is most likely being worked on and it wouldn't be out for a long time whether V was selling great or not.

Welfare

It is actually great NPD was able to get digital data. Without that we would be thinking digital would still be ~30% but now For Honor is majority digital?

Retail only is becoming even less of an indicator of success. Wonder it is like worldwide.

RootCause

Didn't Ubi say that Ghost was selling like crazy? I'm guessing that takes the crown.

A large chunk of GAF has a hate-boner for Ubisoft.
Nah! I'm willing to bet it's related to it being an online only game. Plenty of people were gushing over FH until the news hit.

It is actually kind of great NPD was able to get digital data. Without that we would be thinking digital would still be ~30% but now For Honor is majority digital?

Retail only is becoming even less of an indicator of success. Wonder it is like worldwide.

It indeed becoming increasingly difficult to really get an idea how games are performing from the few reported numbers we get. Digital share just keeps increasing and I suspect on these online Games as a Service titles especially. People want quick and easy access to them.

Retail really doesn't tell the full story anymore

Wagram

The For Honor sales surprise me. I always expected something like Wildlands to succeed, but no one in any of the circles i'm in is talking about For Honor. There's usually something there. Good for them!

Ubisoft has been the one doing overly sell on open worlds or pushing games that are collecting heavy. It has become more common for them over the years (even steep....) and it has been a more than obvious change in sony's development as well IMO even though some will disagree with me for sure but I do feel like any time I watch new AAA game trailers it seems to be all about open world at least half the time. (views, likes etc)

So, I am hoping for games like Nioh, Re7 to do even better so more games like that come out instead of getting pushed to the side or completely not made at all.

I feel the mindset that an open world has is more strong than the actual product being good/better than what it actually is. I feel it's more marketing and impressionism than anything at this point. That is my main concern and where I feel it isn't just being salty. I feel a lot of those titles are a bit objectively bad and not just subjectively.

I can see that, but I'm not sure how I would say it isn't either

I'm not sure how I could want or see all games selling well though as it isn't possible. Not sure what logical idea I could go with actually. Cause in one way, I would want all employees to keep their work and what they like to do unless there were reasons they didnt like what they were doing blah blah blah...

So, it isn't my intention to be against the people's work and jobs at least. I do feel a lot of them are off course on what they are making but that is a different idea.

You are completely wrong and yes, are salty that the games you don't like are selling well to gigantic masses of other people.

Its cool, just own it.

RexNovis

Banned
It indeed becoming increasingly difficult to really get an idea how games are performing from the few reported numbers we get. Digital share just keeps increasing and I suspect on these online Games as a Service titles especially. People want quick and easy access to them.

Retail really doesn't tell the full story anymore

Yea 56% is just absolutely nuts. Makes you wonder what sort of share games like Destiny 2 are going to have. Surely its gonna be high especially with that userbase already conditioned to buying digital content via expansions.

Yea 56% is just absolutely nuts. Makes you wonder what sort of share games like Destiny 2 are going to have. Surely its gonna be high especially with that userbase already conditioned to buying digital content via expansions.

Yeah good point. I almost wonder if at retail Destiny 2 opens lower than Destiny 1. But actual launch will be much bigger. That game will likely skew VERY heavily digital. It will also have PC for the first time and that's going to be essentially 95+% digital sales

sense

It is always funny to see the Ubisoft hate, as if they make shit games. The games they produce are better than most of the stuff put out there but for some reason some here on GAF don't like that.

Assassin's creed unity and watch dogs 1 shenanigans really pushed people to start hating on them. Some of their games follow a similar template as well (open world, tower climbing, map filled with side quests, etc...) their games do provide good value if you are into these type of games. With the crew, division, rainbow six siege, watch dogs 2, and now for honor, they are starting to turn around the negative sentiment I think.

Rymuth

Good for NiOh

Nice For Honor. Looking to trade in my physical copy as soon as there's a digital sale as it needs to join Siege on my HDD.

If Ghost Recon opens big but falters, I think this proves Ubisoft Closed World >>>> Ubisoft Open World.

RexNovis

Banned
Yeah good point. I almost wonder if at retail Destiny 2 opens lower than Destiny 1. But actual launch will be much bigger. That game will likely skew VERY heavily digital. It will also have PC for the first time and that's going to be essentially 95+% digital sales

Oh yea I forgot it was supposed to come to PC too. Yea I can see that having a very heavy digital skew for sure. That said I could see bundles selling really well as well seeing as this one is not available on PS3/360. DO we know if bundled games are counted towards the NPD revenue ranking or if it is separate? I would assume it is separate.

Welfare

Oh yea I forgot it was supposed to come to PC too. Yea I can see that having a very heavy digital skew for sure. That said I could see bundles selling really well as well seeing as this one is not available on PS3/360. DO we know if bundled games are counted towards the NPD revenue ranking or if it is separate? I would assume it is separate.
Bundled software is always separate.

Top Bottom