• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cavaliers have traded Kyrie Irving for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Žiži, & pick

Sandfox

Because they're comparable offensive players and playmakers, with Kyrie still young enough where he has the potential to get even better, and even if he's not a good defender himself, a below average defender at PG is still better than the worst defensive player in the NBA.

Both are horrendous defensively and Thomas blew Irving away offensively this past season. The reason to swap them is because Irving is under contract longer, but Thomas was the better player last season.

Sanjuro

The pick means this trade favors the Cavs overall, but Kyrie is a better player than Thomas and I don't think Crowder is good enough to balance that out. I've never liked Crowder.

I also don't think the Celtics would've been willing to give Thomas a max deal after this season.

It's a short term move for a guy we had already short term. We get an extra year of a guy with a lesser skill set. We could have drafted a PG, or loaner, or continued to improve the team.

Horford needs to step the fuck up, he's got two seasons to make the finals

Horford isn't the problem.

Nameless

I guess this is what happens when Kelly Olynyk delivers your best Playoff performance.

Kyrie/Hayward/Tatum should be fun to watch, though. They're going to get BUCKETS. Plus I'm curious to see what Irving looks like with a real NBA head coach for once.

Dragun619

These Cavs v Celtics games gon be lit.

Thinking about it, Crazy how the #1 Pick gets traded for the last Pick in the same 2011 draft class. How often does that happen in sports?

Boston didn't want to re-sign IT, and I doubt Cleveland signs him long term. This was about the pick while still giving them a chance this year to go back to the finals

Why wouldn't they want to resign him though? I was under the impression that he was a huge fan favorite in Boston.

Sanjuro

Why wouldn't they want to resign him though? I was under the impression that he was a huge fan favorite in Boston.

It would have depended on how the team performed.

IT changed everything around Celtics culture. We basically went back to jerking off to whites only once Pierce was traded.

Both are horrendous defensively and Thomas blew Irving away offensively this past season. The reason to swap them is because Irving is under contract longer, but Thomas was the better player last season.

Only one year longer, which is why the inclusion of the BKN pick is puzzling.

Is it though? I don't see Kyrie leaving Boston

1) He demanded a trade and gave 4 teams he would be okay with going to...Boston was not one of them.

2) If being on a winning team is all it took to keep him, he wouldn't be asking to be traded from the team that won the title last year and went to the Finals this year.

Jarmel

Banned
1) He demanded a trade and gave 4 teams he would be okay with going to...Boston was not one of them.

2) If being on a winning team is all it took to keep him, he wouldn't be asking to be traded from the team that won the title last year and went to the Finals this year.

He might not have thought Celtics were an option.

Farsi

Maybe he didn't ask for Boston because of the likelihood of it not happening since Boston is a direct competitor. Who knows though you could be right

Zukkoyaki

Boston got fleeced. Unless Brown steps up big time and/or Tatum is a legit starter out of the gate, they may have actually gotten worse.

Dynomutt

What are the chances that this happens while watching the ESPN IT and IT special. Has their been a better off season? This summer has been poppin' for the NBA. Cannot wait until the season starts.

He might not have thought Celtics were an option.

maybe, maybe not. Apparently he thought the Spurs were an option. Maybe he'll love it in Boston. All im saying is that those are all unknowns that can't really be factored into the value of the trade. The trade was essentially one year of IT (28 ppg, 27 PER last season), 3 years of Jae Crowder (at about $7 million per season) and the Brooklyn Nets 2018 1st round draft pick for 2 years of Kyrie Irving (25 PPG, 23 PER last season). Just seems steep. The price to upgrade from IT to Kyrie and add a year is the Brooklyn pick and Crowder? That's an overpay.

Top Bottom