• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

LiK

Yeah comp has been poor this season. I don't see the next one being any better either, unless Blizz make some changes to greater penalise throwers/leavers. Also some sort of balancing to make help ensure people are playing in games that aren't too high above their actual skill level.

Jeff mentioned that there's a harsher penalty system coming but it's taking too long. Hoping it drops when Doomfist goes live.

MCD

Yeah comp has been poor this season. I don't see the next one being any better either, unless Blizz make some changes to greater penalise throwers/leavers. Also some sort of balancing to make help ensure people are playing in games that aren't too high above their actual skill level.

It's amazing when the system puts me and a friend with 4 no stars gold players against diamonds and 300+ levels.

GG Blizzard

This introduces two new potential problems, depending on how you handle the other team.

If you still give the winning team their normal SR, you've created a situation where the sum of the SR changes for the game is significantly greater than 0. This isn't a problem every once in awhile, but because leavers aren't really all that rare this will inevitably cause fairly quick elo creep -- in other words, as the season goes on, SR will become more and more inflated. Yes, you could just deflate SR at the end of every season by placing people lower than they would have been, but it already makes people mad when Blizzard does this and we don't even have an elo creep problem now.

If you don't give the winning team SR, then you introduce the possibility of a team being punished for winning so much that they convinced a player on the other team to leave. Limiting their gains would have the same effect, although obviously the less you limit it the less severe it gets.

I think the current system of handling leavers is not as bad as its reputation seems to suggest it is but it could be better. I wouldn't mind seeing them:
- Reduce the gains and losses for winners and losers of games with uneven teams, maybe by a third or a half (as if you'd lost/won a game that the SR system had predicted you were likely to lose/win anyway).
- Reduce the SR penalty for extremely occasional leavers -- 50 SR is frankly ridiculous for a disconnect when I gain less than 20 for a game and have disconnected maybe five times since the game came out -- but increase it for people who leave multiple times in the same season

I think the reduced SR gain/loss for uneven teams is a great idea. I've been punished hard by leavers this season and the end of last season as well.

I also agree about the occasional disconnect leavers, I've dc'd like 4 or 5 times this season and was only able to get back in once.

The other times I got stuck in the rejoin loop, I started at season 2 and this is the only season where I've had disconnects.

PatjuhR

I'm not one to brag and say I'm better than everyone (I'm at 2500 so no reason to), but I had this really awesome game as Tracer. It was the best game I think I ever played. Was having a lot of fun aswell.

We are playing that new map Horizon and we attack first. We blitz the enemy team on both capture points. Then it's our turn to defend and mostly when you are so much better in attack, defense is easypeasy.

But then we had a disconnector. It was obviously internet problems. He constantly came back but basically it was 6 vs 5 from that moment on. So obviously we had a hard time defending 6 vs 5. But I was on fire. I think mainly because of me we stalled the shit out of them for both Point A and point B, but eventually lost them both. But they lost a huge ammount of time.

So since we had more time left we were up for the next round of defense. But then somebody of our team decided my time as Tracer was done and decided to pick her. I was already frustrated, but I thought okay, everybody is allowed to play Tracer not only me. But then the enemy captured point A in the blink of the eye. Then my teammate switched away from Tracer and we easily held point B.

On attack we never got to capture point A so we lost.

I was so frustrated I almost lost my manner and became one of those toxic players to send a PM.

i hope they push doomfist and the other updates today to live server. but then again i don't need people who want to try out doomfist in comp just for the sake of trying him out.

LiK

i hope they push doomfist and the other updates today to live server. but then again i don't need people who want to try out doomfist in comp just for the sake of trying him out.

I don't believe a new hero will go live in Comp at launch. They'll suspend his Comp usage for a week just like with Orisa.

_Legacy_

Jeff mentioned that there's a harsher penalty system coming but it's taking too long. Hoping it drops when Doomfist goes live.

Yeah taking way too long, it's actually put me off this season a bit in honesty. I've got less than half the hours I've put into previous seasons in comp.

It's amazing when the system puts me and a friend with 4 no stars gold players against diamonds and 300+ levels.

GG Blizzard

Or you get a Mercy who doesn't know what she's doing. It's bad enough being 5v6 in teamfights sometimes but when you consistently don't get rezzed after a wipe, you're looking at a loss.

Probably the best way of handling this situation is to rate the heroes you play. If you play a lot of Mercy, maybe try and flex pick the Lucio when you see it is fit. If not just only play Mercy through your placements. Focus on surviving and not dying often. The less that you die as Mercy, especially when you have res, the increased chance of your team winning.

What I can handle, from best to worst is:

1) Mercy: While I am careful to watch out for snipers, shot junkrat's wheel on time (I wonder if 5.1 would help), remember to stay covered and never run to the point alone after getting killed (sometimes the whole team gets obliterated as soon as I arrive and I have to run from 50% of the team, I can do it. My mercy deaths are usually due to being unable to flee.

2) D'Va: I can handle her better than Bastion, although I tend to forget that sometimes the barrier is more important than the guns. Some issues launching the ult on time, that maybe I should activate on 0 HP, or when we need to clean the point.

3) Lucio: Sometimes I feel that his healing is not enough when we are under heavy fire, plus teammates not paying attention to the range. I use him mostly on maps where I can push people. Basic wall crawling skills. If a mercy does the healing and I keep speeding up the team, results can be really good.

4) Soldier 76: Very mediocre, and depends a lot on the day. I started arm aiming very recently and I can't track well skilled fast enemies (like tracer, which is my absolute nightmare). Still better than using Tracer, too fast and tricky for me.

I have never used Mc Cree or Reaper for DPS, though. Or Snipers. One problem with mercy is that most of the time too much time passes between deaths and I can't get it to two revivals on an ult. Sometimes I find hard to decide if I want to revive the deceased asap (maybe if we are talking about the only tank), or if things are still not critical and it's ok to spare it.

This introduces two new potential problems, depending on how you handle the other team.

If you still give the winning team their normal SR, you've created a situation where the sum of the SR changes for the game is significantly greater than 0. This isn't a problem every once in awhile, but because leavers aren't really all that rare this will inevitably cause fairly quick elo creep -- in other words, as the season goes on, SR will become more and more inflated. Yes, you could just deflate SR at the end of every season by placing people lower than they would have been, but it already makes people mad when Blizzard does this and we don't even have an elo creep problem now.

Huh, I never considered that. That's a good reason.
I had always heard the reason was that they never wanted to put someone in a position where the team could gang up on them in chat and bully them into leaving to save the team's SR.

LiK

Leave team chat asap if you can't stand dealing with assholes. There is absolutely no reason for you to deal with garbage comms.

MCD

I can't believe it but gaming side are actually suggesting kb/m is totally ok on console OW.

Jesus Christ.

Gorillaz

I usually stay i voice chat but won't be on mid and instead just turn the music up. The trick to throwing young breh is to do it subconsciously with a character you usually don't play but are decent with so when you lose it won't hit you till 5 mins later that it was your fault

#FreeOWTips
I can't believe it but gaming side are actually suggesting kb/m is totally ok on console OW.

Jesus Christ.
Yea it's honestly gotten bad how many people have started to use and be ok with keyboard on console

Guys... Was it okay for me to throw this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_sDhxxU7s

I don't usually throw, I do my best. But these guys were just insufferable. Constantly ranting and shitting on me.

I wouldn't have thrown, that just means you are letting them get to you. From what I see you had two healers and a D.Va in your team and it was a close game, I'd rather have assholes that pick decent characters and talk shit about me (I'd just get out of team chat if it bothered me) instead of someone that instalocks widow/hanzo/attack junkrat/etc.

It's very frequent to have people blaming the ones that aren't on team chat to defend themselves. Let them talk.

MCD

I don't usually throw, I do my best. But these guys were just insufferable. Constantly ranting and shitting on me.

They were complete assholes but you let them get to you.

I'd stick to the very end and prove that I am better than them. You had gold eliminations so your gamer card would have proved that easily at the end.

Shame you thrown the game but remember: what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

Veelk

Banned
I hope this doesn't meant we don't get some kind of update today though. Real curious to hear about that Roadhog buff and Mercy nerf.

LiK

Remember that if you're playing with a team of assholes, just mute them or leave team chat and play well. Your own performance will dictate how much SR you lose anyway if you lose. Play well even if you hate the team.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
First game back in Diamond and it's fucking 4 DPS 1 tank 1 heals on Route 66 Defense and we lose. Swear to fucking god.

MCD

Remember that if you're playing with a team of assholes, just mute them or leave team chat and play well. Your own performance will dictate how much SR you lose anyway if you lose. Play well even if you hate the team.

Plus he had gold eliminations and gold hero damage. I would honestly stfu if I see that at the end of the match even if we lost.

LiK

Plus he had gold eliminations and gold hero damage. I would honestly stfu if I see that at the end of the match even if we lost.

Yea, some people are just dicks. Some random who was with one of our GAF stacks was complaining about me but I ended up being the only guy with a card at the end. What a doofus.

finalflame

Gold Member

It's never ok to throw any game whatsoever. Mute them and leave chat, play the game to the best of your ability. Throwing is just stooping down to their level.

That means nothing, really.

MCD

It's never ok to throw any game whatsoever. Mute them and leave chat, play the game to the best of your ability. Throwing is just stooping down to their level.

That means nothing, really.

I wouldn't say it's nothing. Sometimes I have more kills than dps mains on our team as a tank and people still complain.

Bro, don't throw.

I personally woulda got on mic and blasted those dudes but I understand people are different.

Mute or leave chat and just play the game next time, don't worry about what some randoms in your game say...they ain't shit to you and you'll prolly never see them again anyway so fuck em.

Frester

First time posting in the OT but would love to play with the GAF PS4 crowd. I am but a lowly 2300 gold, but solo queue is gonna be the death of me this season. Mostly play Zen/Mercy, Tracer or Mei if I'm not healing.

antitrop

New Mercy buff on PTR, her gun is now duct-taped to the staff.

aDmJrC4.png

just kidding, it's a bug

Veelk

Banned
New Mercy buff on PTR, her gun is now duct-taped to the staff.

aDmJrC4.png

just kidding, it's a bug

If Mercy could hold her staff in her left hand and her gun in her right so that she could defend herself while she heals/buffs, she could probably be given some significant nerfs.

Top Bottom