• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madonna's MDNA |OT| Her exquisite oyster display and reductive garnishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
madonna2-532_1476109a.jpg

Guy should be flattered with this record. His influence is all over the place.

Wouldn't mind his influence all over my face.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Definitely. I'm addicted and to a lesser extent Love Spent are far and away the best tracks on this album. I'm imagining the Girl Gone Wild video, but made to fit I'm addicted. Would've been an epic combo, and - I think - a hit.

Also, the more I hear it, the more I think it's a shame how Gang Bang seems to go no where. Everything before the dubstep breakdown seems to building up to some awesome climax, but near the end it starts to disintegrate. Real shame, cause it had to potential to be an awesomely dark rave track.

I like Gang Bang a lot, it's different and tongue-in-cheek.

Not sure it will get the single treatment, but sure it will get remixed anyway and there is a lot there to work with.

Nemesis_

Beautiful Killer is still not impressing me.

Superstar is doing really well on my own personal chart though. It's just such a simple and uplifting track. For some reason I draw comparisons to Miles Away from Hard Candy though overall Superstar is a better produced track. Much better.

even though everyone is gushing over how amazing the second half of Love Spent is, I personally think that the chorus playing at 1m35 is pretty damn awesome. the first half of the song definitely deserved to be a song on itself.

Love spent is basically two amazing songs clumsily pasted together.

even though everyone is gushing over how amazing the second half of Love Spent is, I personally think that the chorus playing at 1m35 is pretty damn awesome. the first half of the song definitely deserved to be a song on itself.

Love spent is basically two amazing songs clumsily pasted together.
Yeah, I prefer the first half too. :x

I'm Addicted has a similar problem too where the second half of the song is seriously superior

The second chorus in Love Spent is EUPHORIC. I hope the live version sounds like that :( I wouldn't mind the acoustic version, however.

Koodo

Banned
I love both parts of Love Spent equally. The song was a bit jarring at first, mostly because the structure is so unusual. It's like getting two songs for the price of one, and it's amazing.

Nemesis_

Eurgh, Girl Gone Wild is about to re-enter my MDNA TOP 5.

My feelings about this album are notably schizophrenic

One thing is absolute though - MIA and Minaj can fuck right off. I don't know why anyone thought they needed to collaborate. It's not like Madonna needs to stay relevant by getting these people on board =/

I like the second half of Love Spent. I hate the first half. =/

Nemesis_

I've thrown out all the crap. This is my final listing for MDNA. =(

Girl Gone Wild
Gang Bang
I'm Addicted
Superstar
Love Spent
Masterpiece

Nothing else has or will grab me, unfortunately.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i just watched the girl gone wild video and it's so bloody awful

i mean i know that alejandro was about 80% 'tribute' to madonna

but that doesn't make it a good idea for madonna to just shamelessly and reductively rip it off

and the cinematography is fucking dire to boot

WHAT ARE YOU DOING MADGE

Nemesis_

i just watched the girl gone wild video and it's so bloody awful

i mean i know that alejandro was about 80% 'tribute' to madonna

but that doesn't make it a good idea for madonna to just shamelessly and reductively rip it off

and the cinematography is fucking dire to boot

WHAT ARE YOU DOING MADGE

She's released MDNA and toured just to take the spotlight away from Gaga. That's my theory at least with all the LACK OF PROMOTION.

>_>

She's released MDNA and toured just to take the spotlight away from Gaga. That's my theory at least with all the LACK OF PROMOTION.

>_>

Pretty sure The Madonna Tour was announced before ITS latest outing, or at least we already knew about it.

I don't think anyone else was pimping their singles on twitter and facebook ("Written by X") on the day Madonna released the GMAYL video, other than YOU KNOW WHO.

Also the recent tweets about #thenextalbumisthebestalbum on the day MDNA is released in the US.

How embarrassing. I wonder if it still cries at interviewers when compared to MADONNA.

I'm looking forward to hearing this album tomorrow but also nervous because I feel it's going to be weak based on what I've heard

lyrics aren't something that isn't usually too important in pop songs, but when they stand out as being so terribly cliche (even by pop song standards) then it's a problem

The lyrics are better than those found in Hard Candy, then again, the only way is up.

Some of her best lyrics since Music, imo, but I think at this point she has covered most bases and may be running out of things to sing about. I think she should move on to things we want to hear about; room service at the Four Seasons and abusing the makeup girls.

However, I'm ON THE FENCE about whether or not Love Spent is a better DIVORCE SONG than Till Death Do Us Part from Like a Prayer.

I feel like most of Madonna's songs would resonate with me more if a better vocalist was singing them. Girl Gone Wild is pretty decent but her voice is so painfully second-rate that it takes away from the heat of the song. Hell, even Britney could have done cooler things with the sound of the track with her "my-hymen-just-busted" groan of a voice.

Confessions was a wonderfully produced album but the only thing that held me back was her boringly monotone voice. Just doesn't sound good in my ears. Well that and some of the lyrics. I can't listen to that New York song without feeling awkward. That said, her voice sounds great in Masterpiece, which is why it's the only song on the album I might be listening to a week or two down the road.

The wait for Gaga's next album will be long :(

How can you rip off what you introduce yourself earlier in your career? It just goes to show how shamelessly other acts have appropriated her style to have young people believing Madonna wasn't the originator of these ideas on video 20 years ago. And really for someone who's literally done everything before, is it even possible not to reference yourself at some point?

The GGW video is from beginning to end Madonna referencing herself from the act of contrition intro to the fake "forgive me". It's an FU to critics who are saying she can't do this anymore because she's old. It's also a re-education to new audiences on who did what first and who copied from whom.

The video just like the entire new album is Madonna tracing back to her entire career in sound and image. It's also an interesting commentary on how something that caused a great amount of controversy just years ago is now seen as standard fare for current musical expression. Music is where it is today because she did it first. She's the true mother originator of modern pop musical expression.

It's funny her motives which are quite obvious still escape some people.

EDIT: That Facebook chat with Jimmy Fallon was awful. They only had like 8 dumb questions. Poor showing. Madonna looks great in those Party Rock pants tho.

I'm sure Madge's team feels the same way.

They probably don't give a shit. Unlike Lady Xerox, who is obviously keeping a close eye on what Madonna is doing in a desperate attempt to (unsuccessfully) foil everything she does.

I do feel for the ugly little thing though, only her 3rd (well second, really) album in and it can't clear 10 million, 6 if you don't buy into the shipment numbers.

Adele: *laughs*

They probably don't give a shit. Unlike Lady Xerox, who is obviously keeping a close eye on what Madonna is doing in a desperate attempt to (unsuccessfully) foil everything she does.

I do feel for the ugly little thing though, only her 3rd (well second, really) album in and it can't clear 10 million, 6 if you don't buy into the shipment numbers.

Adele: *laughs*

"Ugly little thing"? Really? smh

The way Madonna fans react to the Gaga name drop is hilarious. You don't need to shit on someone current and popular (and effin' rad) to convince yourself that Madonna can bring something to the table. She can do that on her own. She's done it for years.

But I'll make sure to remember your post when we end up seeing MDNA's modest sales numbers.

Could you guys take this bitch fight to the GAP POP thread, so that all this idiocy stays quarantined?

Mr. Burns is a CUNT.

Sorry, it's 6am and I've been up all night trying to get this concept art finished for uni, I'm going to be in a foul mood ALL DAY LONG :D

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Also the recent tweets about #thenextalbumisthebestalbum on the day MDNA is released in the US.

How embarrassing. I wonder if it still cries at interviewers when compared to MADONNA.

#MyFavoriteGagaAlbumIs was trending worldwide and she just responded to it, I didnt see no shade

Thats all I am going to say in this thread
Seacrest out

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I feel like most of Madonna's songs would resonate with me more if a better vocalist was singing them. Girl Gone Wild is pretty decent but her voice is so painfully second-rate that it takes away from the heat of the song. Hell, even Britney could have done cooler things with the sound of the track with her "my-hymen-just-busted" groan of a voice.

Confessions was a wonderfully produced album but the only thing that held me back was her boringly monotone voice. Just doesn't sound good in my ears. Well that and some of the lyrics. I can't listen to that New York song without feeling awkward. That said, her voice sounds great in Masterpiece, which is why it's the only song on the album I might be listening to a week or two down the road.

The wait for Gaga's next album will be long :(
IMO some of the strongest moments on this Madonna album are the quieter ones - like parts of 'I Fucked Up' or 'Falling Free'. And her voice sounds really nice. The production on "Love Spent" makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. SO FUCKING AWESOME. I'm actually really enjoying the album, for the most part, after being ready to write it off after the horrible first single.

I really like Gaga but she really needs to learn some subtlety - she has no idea how to turn down the volume and dial it back. At all. Phonomezer's weird fixation on her career is kinda scary. But fucking LOL at Lady Xerox. Dying.

I really like Gaga but she really needs to learn some subtlety - she has no idea how to turn down the volume and dial it back.

I heartily agree on this. Gaga knows how to belt out a gay anthem to next year but she has only one volume. Eleven. Even on ballads she doesn't know how to bring it down a notch. BTW can be exhausting to listen to in a single sitting. When I listen to it I can only take 4 or 5 of her songs at a time before I reach for sedatives.

But fucking LOL at Lady Xerox. Dying.

tumblr_lvc9j9gOll1r5um8jo1_500.png

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I heartily agree on this. Gaga knows how to belt out a gay anthem to next year but she has only one volume. Eleven. Even on ballads she doesn't know how to bring it down a notch. BTW can be exhausting to listen to in a single sitting. When I listen to it I can only take 4 or 5 of her songs at a time before I reach for sedatives.

BAHAHA. Was just doing my own. I obviously have far too much time this morning.
YGOWV.jpg

Koodo

Banned
Album is out on iTunes now.
The peasant version is currently highest at #17. How... tepid.

I will find it amusing but not surprising if The Hunger Games soundtrack ends up snatching the #1 spot away. Everything related to that movie is blow-ing up.

SpiffyG

The peasant version is currently highest at #17. How... tepid.

I will find it amusing but not surprising if The Hunger Games soundtrack ends up snatching the #1 spot away. Everything related to that movie is blow-ing up.
Pre-orders for MDNA hit #1 though, didn't they? Does that count for anything?

Uh oh

tumblr_m1gc0hGnMO1qls92lo1_1280.png

tumblr_m0uv8dSNcD1r3dgb0o1_500.gif

Shirley Manson had some nice things to say about Madonna today

“I feel like the tiger in the jungle who’s allowed to keep doing business because the younger tigers allow her to operate, and I feel grateful. But I don’t want to pretend I’m young. I’m not going to play that game. I’m not going to freeze my face to sell a record. That’s a trap set for women.”

Madonna, she says, is the most obvious example: “The tabloids complain about her looking old, and people laugh at her for that. Then Madonna goes and fixes her face, and they laugh at her for that. Even thought they begrudgingly say she looks amazing, they’ll still laugh at her for trying to look young. Then she steps out, looking amazing, and the tabloids go and blow up a picture of her aging hand. Nobody’s doing that to George Clooney, blowing up pictures of his hands! I look at these magazines, and I want to say to them, What’s your point? That she’s aged? Does that surprise you? Or is your ‘point’ an attempt to undercut what she’s achieved? I think it is, even if it’s on a subconscious level. And you probably wouldn’t turn down those hands if they were grabbing you under the table, you fucking idiots.”

Take note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom