• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just give me more Japanese style titles, especially RPGs (the good ones), and it will represent a major improvement for the lineup.

I think you're looking to the wrong console if that's the type of games you want to play. There's no shame in owning multiple platforms, you know?

Leflus

I really only care for Halo and Fable as far as first party games. FH3 was amazing though, so I'd definitely be up for 4. I want a Fable reboot though, it feels like a gaping hole in the Xbox stable. A action adventure/RPG rounds things out. Fable also has tons of innate charm and potential, which is why I'd prefer that over a new IP.
Plus, the previous Fable RPG came out over 6 years ago. It's been long enough for it to feel fresh again.

wapplew

Playground's next game might be multiplatform, and won't be out for a while. Double Helix is Amazon first-party and is working on Breakaway. Supermassive's next game is very likely to be multiplatform (if not Sony exclusive).

I mean MS might contact unknown dev team to make games for them, which have a chance to become the next Playground/Double Helix.

Hey Rex of the following which do you think are most likely:

Tales of Berseria
Nioh
Nier 2
Persona 5
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Ni No Kuni 2
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Thanks in Advance!
Whichever game helps the xbone gets over 90k LTD sold in Japan,
so all of them bundled into a $100 package

giphy-downsized-large.gif

OP nails it, ha ha. Microsoft has to come with games, because while confidence is nice, it's nothing without results.

Man the board has really turned on Spencer. I remember when he first took over if he had said something like this the first page would be filled with praise. I guess if you do talk to much without actual results really tarnishes your credibility.

I'll give him and the xbox division until e3. They actually need to wow everyone there. If they fuck that one up, that has to be the end.

Not just this board. Over at /r/XboxOne you'll find the same sentiment when they discuss Phil Spencer and his many tweets.

blakep267

Hey Rex of the following which do you think are most likely:

Tales of Berseria
Nioh
Nier 2
Persona 5
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Ni No Kuni 2
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Thanks in Advance!
I'd say nioh for sure, unless Sony has some kind of deal. That one is an easy sell in comparison to the others. And maybe KH remastered just because 3 is also coming and it has brand recognition

I don't see the reason for bringing the rest because they have zero selling potential

wapplew

They need something big, gameswise. Forza 7, Halo 6 or Gears 5 isn't gonna cut it anymore.

They need something on the level of Death Stranding. Something that gamers can see and go "That's different, cool and beatiful".

They have something big, Sea of theives, Crackdown, State of Decay 2 might be their next 3 new pillars.
Co-op, MMO lite, service games are very very popular. It might not get many GAF excited, like Ghostrecon Wildland predicted bomb here.
Single player games get lots of love here, but service games get lots of money everywhere.

As much as I like and respect Phil, he's too nice and always says what people want him to say. I'd really like to see him put more focus on diverse 1st party titles, but a quote from him isn't anything we haven't seen before.

Nzyme32

For MS to "catch up", first party titles need to be more inspired than what I've seen the past several years. Lots of new IPs would certainly be useful. I can only think of Crackdown as a franchise that I still want to see something of so far. Indeed, "talk is cheap" as far as this stuff goes. They've made the statement before, probably better to talk when they have something to show.

Shock32

Shit that board seems alot more positive toward xbox one than this one does. Granted it is dedicated to x1 .

I think Phil is still getting the benefit of the doubt, he's been there 3 years. This year has been plenty of time to develop something. So this E3 has got to be something special or it's game over man.

spannicus

I think Phil is still getting the benefit of the doubt, he's been there 3 years. This year has been plenty of time to develop something. So this E3 has got to be something special or it's game over man.
I agree it has to be something special but i wont give up just yet.

Chris1

They have something big, Sea of theives, Crackdown, State of Decay 2 might be their next 3 new pillars.
Co-op, MMO lite, service games are very very popular. It might not get many GAF excited, like Ghostrecon Wildland predicted bomb in GAF.
Single player games get lots of love here, but service games get lots of money everywhere.
I still have a feeling SOT is gonna be massive

People underestimate twitch massively on neogaf, SOT is twitch bait game if there ever was one. If it lives up to its potential I reckon it'll be the win10 stores first big seller aswell.

Look at the other twitch bait games like h1z1 and ark etc, they all sell huge amounts and they're still in early access phase with a shit ton of bugs etc. Then with SOT you've got an AAA with huge amounts of polish aiming for the exact same market. If it lives up to it's potential I think it's gonna surprise a lot of people sales wise.

Need to see more of it and see how the market reacts to it on a wider scale to be certain but the potential is there at least

Yea the past few E3's it's easy to give him a pass for because a lot of it will still be mattrick era (even though I liked most games). But this is his first proper E3 that's all him, he's got a lot to prove here.

Shit that board seems alot more positive toward xbox one than this one does. Granted it is dedicated to x1 .

That's why it's hilarious when hardcore fanboys claim gaf is some sort of echo chamber. If they took the time to visit other sites they would find that gamers from all over the place think the same thing most of the time.

Crayon

If they took the time to visit other sites they would find that gamers from all over the place think the same thing most of the time.

Partially because they read it here first then go back to their board to talk it over. We are a fish bowl.

jelly

He said basically the same thing about first-party 2 years ago: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-interview-phil-spencer-on-microsofts-firs/1100-6429471/

Nothing of note has come to fruition. If anything, they've taken steps back since then by closing studios and cancelling projects.

As others have said, it's all about playing it safe with Forza, Gears and Halo for Microsoft. They aren't willing to risk it on new IP. Their lineup has been so weak.

I would say 2 years isn't enough time to show new fruit but it's getting very close so let's wait and see. They still haven't released a bunch of games they announced.

I do think Scorpio will lean on best place to play 3rd party than pushing exclusives, at least initially before any new fruits appearing. Time will tell if they have reinvested in more exclusives.

yunbuns

Well they killed the studio that made the one first party game of theirs that I liked, Fable, so unless they give the IP to another studio, I don't know what they could do to make me interested in their games.

_Ryo_

How would Fable fans feel if MS contracted FROM to Soulsify a new Fable game?

Kinda like MS's own version of Bloodborne but set in the Fable universe?

I think you're looking to the wrong console if that's the type of games you want to play. There's no shame in owning multiple platforms, you know?

Funny, because I first came to Xbox as a platform because they were doing a pretty fantastic fucking job in this regard. I bought Xbox 360 (didn't own the original) for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. The 360 is also where I played Tales of Vesperia, as well as a number of other fantastic japanese titles. So clearly that mindset is just not at all accurate.

Also, I've always been a multi-console owner, so what you just said really doesn't apply to a gamer such as myself. Now a lack of japanese style titles and rpg may be a legitimate criticism of the Xbox One's lineup so far, as it has honestly failed to match the type of japanese support the 360 received, but it is in no way, shape or form an impossibility that this can, and will, change. I'm sure you're well aware of this yourself.

So whenever people say something like this, it gives me much less of an impression that they are honestly advocating for true multi-console ownership, and are instead saying something else entirely.

How would Fable fans feel if MS contracted FROM to Soulsify a new Fable game?

Kinda like MS's own version of Bloodborne but set in the Fable universe?

I would question their judgment, because that would be absolute shit. On both fronts. That's simply just not Fable.

Let Fable be Fable.

Please. I fucking shudder at Fable being turned into a souls or bloodborne style game. Those games are fucking boring. Yes, I know other people like them, and they're a huge hit with some. They're not my idea of fun from what I've seen.

David___

Banned
I dont understand the "he was only head of xbox gor only 3 years" comments. He's been head of first party since 09.

Funny, because I first came to Xbox as a platform because they were doing a pretty fantastic fucking job in this regard. I bought Xbox 360 (didn't own the original) for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. The 360 is also where I played Tales of Vesperia, as well as a number of other fantastic japanese titles. So clearly that mindset is just not at all accurate.

Also, I've always been a multi-console owner, so what you just said really doesn't apply to a gamer such as myself. Now a lack of japanese style titles and rpg may be a legitimate criticism of the Xbox One's lineup so far, as it has honestly failed to match the type of japanese support the 360 received, but it is in no way, shape or form an impossibility that this can, and will, change. I'm sure you're well aware of this yourself.

So whenever people say something like this, it gives me much less of an impression that they are honestly advocating for true multi-console ownership, and are instead saying something else entirely.

I would question their judgment, because that would be absolute shit. On both fronts. That's simply just not Fable.

I'm not particularly sure as to why that post elicits a reaction like yours, but those games came out relatively early in the 360's life. When MS was still actively trying to squeeze into the Japanese market (and dumping a lot of money in the process to achieve that).

Those days are long gone though, and that was even pretty clear with the latter output of the 360. So it's great that Microsoft's efforts worked to bring you in with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but that's almost certainly not going to happen with the xbone (or any MS software output down the road). So it's pretty reasonable to conclude that if one is into Japanese games, then one should probably expand their horizon beyond the Xbox One.

This attitude always sounds nonsensical to me. I rather just get a different IP / franchise that is unique than subvert another one in the hope x publisher / developer spins it like x game they made.

So take more time and money making a new open world RPG? Sounds like a very loooong dev process for a company that has had a hard time making money in that genre.

Wagram

Please. I fucking shudder at Fable being turned into a souls or bloodborne style game. Those games are fucking boring. Yes, I know other people like them, and they're a huge hit with some. They're not my idea of fun from what I've seen.

I don't want FROM being wasted on a franchise like Fable. Good thing it's never a possibility.

Xumbrega

Banned
One thing is for sure..

This E3 will be either a massive clusterfuck for them or a memorable one, and the Xbox Division will regain good will.. no middle ground here.

I do think they have 2 or 3 AAA (including Forza) to launch this year with Scorpio.

Forza Motorsport 7
Perfect Dark
Ryse 2

One man can dream..

One thing is for sure..

This E3 will be either a massive clusterfuck for them or a memorable one, and the Xbox Division will regain good will.. no middle ground here.

I do think they have 2 or 3 AAA (including Forza) to launch this year with Scorpio.

Forza Motorsport 7
Perfect Dark
Ryse 2

One man can dream..

I can see them eventually doing another Perfect Dark. Ryse 2? Probably not as Crytek is having issues lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom