• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5: Will I get bored of it after 30 hours?

Cyframe

I liked to finish dungeons asap in Persona 3 and 4 so I would have time to do the school stuff. That's a core of the game. I love the series, but it isn't for everyone and that's okay.

Szadek

The school stuff is main point of the persona games after 2, so if you don't like that, the game isn't for you.

If you want something with a good story and no school life, play 1 and 2( IS, EP).

cireza

OP should give Tokyo Mirage a try.

It is pretty much the exact opposite of Persona.

Less focus on the story, but much better dungeons and battles. Still the story manages to be fun (and a even bit stupid), and character side-quests are also pretty decent.

It's the same, outside the dungeons not being randomly generated... and a few other tweaks.

So if you couldn't finish 3 or 4 doubt 5 will for you.

Not randomly generated? Oh damn, now I'm hyped. I loved P4G but found the dungeons boring. Not to even talk about P3P's dungeons.... made the game drag on for me.

Love the stuff outside the dungeons though, particularly in P4G.

Not randomly generated? Oh damn, now I'm hyped. I loved P4G but found the dungeons boring. Not to even talk about P3P's dungeons.... made the game drag on for me.

Love the stuff outside the dungeons though, particularly in P4G.

I'm at the first one, its unique and no more bs surprises so you can learn the layout and such.

Jawmuncher

I played both Persona 3 and 4 on easy. Which I felt was just the right difficulty. The battles still needed some work. But I didn't have to overly out-stay my welcome in dungeons to make sure I was at a good level for what lied ahead. It worked really well it streamlining the game in a sense, and letting me focus on the story and social links. Plan to do it with Person 5 as well.

Squire

Banned
I have to disagree with Noctis here. If I'm not careful, I could sink multiple 10+ hour long play session with Persona games. But they also work exceptionally well to just pick up and play in short bursts if you wanted to.

If you played Breath of the Wild, that's another game that works really well both in short bursts and in long sessions. I think what helps is the amount of different activities you can do.

Yeah, for sure. P4G I played for an hour or two every night and the majority of those nights wasn't even in a dungeon. It's all about how much you enjoy what you're doing.

Moofers

The real question is will the game end abruptly because you didn't talk to a specific character at a certain time, thus chopping a few hours off your game?

GSR

I burned out on P3P around December but played P5 to the end without any significant gaps.

P5's improved QOL and presentation make it a lot easier to stick with imo. Overall structure of school->plot->dungeon is still there though, and the story can be painfully slow at times.

The real question is will the game end abruptly because you didn't talk to a specific character at a certain time, thus chopping a few hours off your game?

No, P5 doesn't pull that.

Moofers

I burned out on P3P around December but played P5 to the end without any significant gaps.

P5's improved QOL and presentation make it a lot easier to stick with imo. Overall structure of school->plot->dungeon is still there though, and the story can be painfully slow at times.

No, P5 doesn't pull that.

Great, then we're looking good. Man I loved P4G but I was so pissed when that happened in my game. I didn't understand what happened and why I didn't experience Christmas or Valentine's Day or anything so I looked it up and was like are you kidding me?

The school stuff is main point of the persona games after 2, so if you don't like that, the game isn't for you.

If you want something with a good story and no school life, play 1 and 2( IS, EP).

this, try them OP, they don't have stellar combat, it hasnt aged that well, but the dungeons have an interesting theming and the most important point characters and story are simply amazing!

Deft Beck

I didn't beat Persona 3 FES because I was underleveled at one of the bosses and I didn't have enough time to get back up there due to the stamina system.

I didn't beat Persona 4 Golden because the RPG dungeon is tedious and I'm underleveled again.

I hope this doesn't happen with P5. I just want to beat at least one of these games.

When did that happen?

I didn't beat Persona 3 FES because I was underleveled at one of the bosses and I didn't have enough time to get back up there due to the stamina system.

I didn't beat Persona 4 Golden because the RPG dungeon is tedious and I'm underleveled again.

I hope this doesn't happen with P5. I just want to beat at least one of these games.

When did that happen?

I don't know if P3 and P4 has this option, but in P5 you can change the difficulty at any time, so getting permanently stuck is not an issue with the easier difficulties. Also, dungeons are so much more fun. I think you can do it!

Deft Beck

I don't know if P3 and P4 has this option, but in P5 you can change the difficulty at any time, so getting permanently stuck is not an issue with the easier difficulties. Also, dungeons are so much more fun. I think you can do it!

I wanted to beat 3 or 4 by the time the new one came out.

Now what's going to happen is that I'll get the game and it'll sit in the shrinkwrap.

In P4G, I think there are some rules about when you need to interact with that horrible character so you can unlock the ski trip + her dungeon. Maybe.

I wish you could just skip everything involving Marie. She felt like a self-insert tsundere who didn't add anything meaningful to the story or setting.

In P4G, I think there are some rules about when you need to interact with that horrible character so you can unlock the ski trip + her dungeon. Maybe.

I know not doing the Marie stuff makes it so you won't get her dungeon and the added epilogue but pretty sure you still get the ski trip(though not the extra scene) and the Christmas and Valentine's events will still occur so I'm not sure what he's referring to.

Well, I have to admit Tokyo Mirage Sessions had boob's, and I managed to crush that game in a week. I finished P4 during barracks transitioning on an emulator when I had no car and a hole in my roof, lol. I still haven't finished 3, I tried playing it on PSP and that got stolen, and then my PS3 DIED ON ME :(. EXTREME SADNESS!

I'm pretty sure the only way I finished 4 over 3 is cause I emulated it instead of on the shitty console systems.

Thinking of picking both up for PlayStation TV though, probably my favorite console since Super Nintendo. I step on it everyday and it doesn't care, and that's quality in my lifestyle.

I mean it's a JRPG, not many of those don't have slow-burn stories. I think it's just not a series that speaks to you. The P5 dungeons are hand-crafted, but it's still set in a school, so if you hate that aspect and you just want to play something for 25 hours and be done with it, you should take a pass. This game is supposed to take even longer than the last two.

I love JRPGs and rpgs in general, but persona games are different. For example in a traditional JRPGs, you go to different cities/town and explore different looking regions/dungeons. In P3 and P4, it's about the social link stuff and dungeons that looks samey. That's my problem with the previous games.

Less focus on the story, but much better dungeons and battles. Still the story manages to be fun (and a even bit stupid), and character side-quests are also pretty decent.

I played Tokyo Mirage (35 hours) and it's better paced than P3 and P4 (no daily routine stuff and you can do side quests anytime you want) and the combat is more enjoyable. But I stopped playing it because of other games, I will return to it in the near future.

Dominator

I did get bored of the combat in P4G as I just wanted the story and nothing else, but that didn't stop me. I played on Very Easy so I just steamrolled the entire game with no issues so battles went fast.

Jimm

Wheather you finish a game or not, 30 hours is a damn good amount of time for the asking price.
The game seems to be doing great, give it a go!

I love JRPGs and rpgs in general, but persona games are different. For example in a traditional JRPGs, you go to different cities/town and explore different looking regions/dungeons. In P3 and P4, it's about the social link stuff and dungeons that looks samey. That's my problem with the previous games.

Yeah, Persona is definitely not a travel-the-world, hero's tale kind of JRPG. It's set in one city, in one school, but that single city setting is far more fleshed out than cities/towns in more expansive JRPGs. From what I've heard, the dungeons in P5 are more unique than past entries both in aesthetic and content, so that may interest you more. But the social links are just a fundamental mechanic of the series, so if you find that boring, you'll find all of them boring.

Opa-Pa

It sounds like it may not be your thing either OP, but that's fine. I've seen so many people end up hating this series because they force themselves to endure parts of the games in order to enjoy the rest... I don't think it's worth it.

Personally I enjoy every part of these games so I'm never doing dull stuff and have fun all the way through... I do wonder if I'm not too old for the high school stuff now, though. We'll see.

Moofers

When did that happen?

I know not doing the Marie stuff makes it so you won't get her dungeon and the added epilogue but pretty sure you still get the ski trip(though not the extra scene) and the Christmas and Valentine's events will still occur so I'm not sure what he's referring to.

If you don't talk to
Adachi
at a certain time, they opportunity passes and your game ends on December 5th instead of in February. The time when you need to talk to him is pretty early on so if you miss it, you can spend hours and hours and hours playing like I did, only to have the game flip you the bird. My oldest save only took me back to July and that still wasn't early enough to fix the problem. A complete restart was my only option. I got about 2 weeks in and haven't touched the game since.

robotrock

Banned
If you don't talk to
Adachi
at a certain time, they opportunity passes and your game ends on December 5th instead of in February. The time when you need to talk to him is pretty early on so if you miss it, you can spend hours and hours and hours playing like I did, only to have the game flip you the bird. My oldest save only took me back to July and that still wasn't early enough to fix the problem. A complete restart was my only option. I got about 2 weeks in and haven't touched the game since.

Ahhh man, yeah that's sounding familar. That sucks.

Hope Persona 5 has nothing like that. Persona 4 also had something where the game could end like 60 hours in based on a few dialogue choices, but if you get it right there was like another 20-30 hours there.

Hope that's out too

artsi

Does it have the same menu based over world?

I'd love a Persona game that was slightly more like Yakuza in its over world design

It's more connected now. You don't need to use the menu that much.

But it's much faster tho and subway commute gets old just like in real life, lol.

If you don't talk to
Adachi

Do you have a source for this? This is the first I've heard of anything like that and I can't find any info on the internet about this.

Do you have a source for this? This is the first I've heard of anything like that and I can't find any info on the internet about this.

Because it's not accurate. The route locks are a series of choices presented to the player at two points. It's also not possible to save after getting locked into a bad ending, so you can always reload your latest save.

It is possible to miss out on a dungeon by not maxing a certain character's social link by a certain date however if you're playing Golden, as the other posters were saying.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Modern Persona games might not be for you then.

If you enjoy the type of gameplay without the "padding", play the Shin Megami Tensai games.

Are the high school bits essentially just a visual novel, or is it a bit more interactive, e.g. do you actually walk around the school and stuff, or does it just jump from dialogue scene to dialogue scene?

I'm glad to hear that the real focus of the game is the school and social stuff rather than the dungeon crawling.

Still makes my eyes water to think that this is a 100+ hour long game and it isn't portable, though. Will have to think very hard before buying it.

Makonero

Op that's my fear as well. Never finished one Persona...

Yeah, I want to play this but I just got burnt out in both P3 and P4. The "daily life" and such just became too obviously meters to fill and the dungeons were too repetitive and boring for me to keep going even though I liked the characters and story.

I did finish TMS#FE and loved it. My favorite game of last year.

Ken

Are the high school bits essentially just a visual novel, or is it a bit more interactive, e.g. do you actually walk around the school and stuff, or does it just jump from dialogue scene to dialogue scene?

I'm glad to hear that the real focus of the game is the school and social stuff rather than the dungeon crawling.

Still makes my eyes water to think that this is a 100+ hour long game and it isn't portable, though. Will have to think very hard before buying it.

you can walk around the school but you only need to like...two or three times for story stuff. otherwise you can just shortcut to where you want to go.

bluethree

The basic structure of the game is the same, but the dungeons are a LOT more interesting this time around, the story is so much better and more varied, and the life sim stuff has a ton more content.

If you just don't like the idea of the game though, you should pass.

Ken

If those are native English speakers giving the estimates, they could be over-inflated due to slower Japanese reading speeds. But I have heard that P5 is longer than P3 & P4 so maybe not.

seems accurate enough

CosLkZB.png

I loved p3 and p4... But those games seriously need to be about half or even a third as long and take that content and make the games have more replay value.

Ken

How long did it take you to finish P3 and/or 4? I'd like to know if it really is longer than those. I think P3FES' The Journey took me like 105 hours back in the day haha.

i...couldn't finish either of those lol

p3 i stopped early. p4g i stopped at
nanako's dungeon

sorry!

Squire

Banned
Modern Persona games might not be for you then.

If you enjoy the type of gameplay without the "padding", play the Shin Megami Tensai games.

Ehhh, people loved Apocalypse to death, but most still readily admit it's probably two dungeons and 15 hours too long. Let's not oversell it.

Top Bottom