• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop - Switch sales "Phenomenal", high attach rate, "Could eclipse Wii"

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Lock if old.

https://gamerant.com/nintendo-switch-sales-wii-gamestop/

”The Nintendo Switch is off to a start right now that it could possibly eclipse the Wii. Initial sales on this have been phenomenal. I can't give straight numbers, but I can say we're seeing one of the highest attach rates of software and accessories to a device that we've seen in a long time."

”We're seeing tremendous success with the power chargers for the Nintendo Switch, as well as people coming in and picking up extra Joy-Con so people can turn it into a four-player device. We will soon be going online with all-new bundles. Because of the popularity of Zelda, which is one of my top picks, we're putting together a Zelda bundle of hardware and accessories for customers to pick up online."

BY2K

Membero Americo
Geez, calm down with the Wii comparison, it's been 3 weeks...

EDIT: Wait, power chargers? Why are people buying extras?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
What does "highest attach rate of software and accessories" mean? That people are buying a Switch as well as a game at a higher rate than they bought a PS4, for example, and a game? I mean... wouldn't that be obvious when playing Zelda is the only thing the Switch does..? What am I missing? Not hating on N's success. Just seems like a "well duh" kinda comment.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a fantastic product. Nintendo has a winner on their hands. I love mine. But it'll be better with a lot more polish, so if you're willing to wait, wait.

The steady trickle of games and a soft launch is brilliant.

Neoxon

While I'm happy that the Switch is off to a great start, let's wait a few months before we say that Switch sales will eclipse the Wii, GameStop.

I do wish Nintendo nothing but success, though.

Beegeous

It's not gonna do Wii numbers as the price is against it, but is it unreasonable to expect it to surpass the 3DS? I don't think so.

Ninja edit: turns out DS sold FAR more than I expected/remember. I had the c.60m number in my head 😬

Good. Let the positive flow through your body.

Wii comparisons are tough because it's one of the best selling video game systems of all time, but they know the numbers. All they have to do is sustain it.

It's not gonna do Wii numbers as the price is against it, but is it unreasonable to expect it to surpass the 3DS/DS? I don't think so.

Bruh do you even know what you just said? 😂

The DS sold 150 million and the Wii sold 100 million.

TS-08

The context seems to me to mean it might eclipse the Wii's launch, but I'm not sure what timeframe that would be exactly. I don't think he's already predicting it to eclipse the system in total sales numbers.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This is a marketer, of course he's going to tell people that it'll be successful.

Vitacat

If by power charger you mean AC adapter -- to use the Switch in my bedroom without having to constantly unplug the one connected to the dock in my TV room.

How trustworthy are these statements? I mean, it's not like GameStop is going to be like "yeah this console we're selling right now isn't selling that well".

That said, as a Switch owner, I hope the console does well enough.

Loving the strong start. I'm really, really curious to see how well Mario Kart 8 Deluxe performs. If it's a huge hit, I think this system is going to be a massive success for Nintendo.

JordanN

Banned
They should start selling Disco records too.

Xtu9qVD.jpg

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

I bought one so I could charge it in bed / travelling without having to unplug my dock.

Flarin

"This could be like that one system you bought once, please buy games from us OH GOD PLEASE BUY SOMETHING."

Trace

Banned
It's not gonna do Wii numbers as the price is against it, but is it unreasonable to expect it to surpass the 3DS/DS? I don't think so.

There's a pretty big gap between the 3DS and the DS btw. 3DS is 65-70 million, DS is 150 million.

Switch will have done well if it hits 3DS, there's no chance it hits DS sales in this lifetime.

John. J Gamestop said:
Because of the popularity of Zelda, which is one of my top picks, we’re putting together a Zelda bundle of hardware and accessories for customers to pick up online

Well no shit, it's either that or 1,2 Switch.

I mean, any console could eclipse Wii.

The fact of the matter is the Switch wont unless it's more than Nintendo putting games on it.

As a Nintendo fan, I'm getting one as soon as they aren't stupid expensive on Amazon, but I do fear Wii U like issues with it once we're past the Honeymoon period.

It'd be great if it got some great exclusive 3rd party support, but man. I'm just not optimistic, due to the Wii U. Prove me wrong Nintendo.

The Nintendo Switch is off to a start right now that it could possibly eclipse the Wii.

Wii was lightning in a bottle at the absolute best time, eclipsed only by PS1 and PS2.

Outta here with that talk, GameStop.

What game are people getting in droves after Zelda?

The only retail titles are Zelda, 1,2 Switch, Just Dance, Bomberman and Skylanders.

I'm really interested in what is being bought.

I still haven't seen anyone else carrying these things around. I'm in New York so I play mine on the train everyday but maybe no one else is brave enough to.

Hey, don't read too deep into what Gamestop 'Says'. This message is simply for shareholders to feel comfortable that Gamestop physical is in a good place.

I'm NOT saying Switch won't do great numbers, before someone quotes me and misinterprets my above. It won't do Wii numbers, I will say that.

Now, back to Zelda and figuring out Death Mountain.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Good, this news could greenlight some projects. I'm sire 3rd parties regret missing the party.

renzolama

Gamestop seems to be heavily invested in helping to make the Switch a success so that it can sell a lot of hardware and accessories. I would guess that the average casual Nintendo customer is probably more likely to go to Gamestop to buy stuff than Amazon or other local retailers. It makes sense business-wise, but they could try to be a bit less desperate looking in their attempt.

to charge with on the go if your dock becomes entangled in a home entertainment setup. if you're carrying the thing around regularly, dozens or hundreds of instances of digging around behind your tv might be enough of a time savings to justify it.

other usb-c chargers are probably a better value, though.

It's a very appealing system launching with one of the best reviewed games of all time, I would be puzzled if it didn't sell well. Cool to hear everything seems to be going smoothly, this just means more games for us!

muu

You could easily find a Wii U on store shelves a day after launch. Literally the Monday after it released (it released on a Sunday).

I walked into a Toys R Us w/ no preorder and grabbed one of many Deluxe units they had. There was absolutely no stock shortage as far as I could tell.

TS-08

There's a pretty big gap between the 3DS and the DS btw. 3DS is 65-70 million, DS is 150 million.

Switch will have done well if it hits 3DS, there's no chance it hits DS sales in this lifetime.

The DS also sold way more than the Wii.

Top Bottom