• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: "Nintendo Direct - promises, promises"

just woke up, saw a few of whats coming and it looks good, didn't see any mention of release dates or windows did i miss that part?

szaromir

Banned
I have no proof to back it up, but I'm betting after the success of the Wii they thought they could do whatever they want and it would sell. I'm just surprised that the 3DS fiasco didn't wake them up before essentially repeating the same disaster with the Wii U.
3DS still made some decent numbers, especially after the price cut. WiiU still seems beyond redemption for me, its really weak CPU makes it difficult to port PS360 games which seems so counterintuitive. Hopefully those who bought WiiU will get a decent selection of games eventually.

teiresias

Edge said:
When Nintendo finally delivers the games its fanbase wants, will they still be interested?

I'm surprised Edge doesn't realize they're talking about the fanbase that's been fed the same Nintendo IPs over and over again with minimal to non-existant gameplay changes and they still salivate for them everytime they're announced and take the web to declare them the "bastion of gaming." Of course, this group of people will still be interested.

Nope, other than Windwaker HD. Mario U, Yoshi U, Mario Kart U, Bayonetta 2 and Monolith Soft all have no release date. Who knows when they'll come out ?

Talk about missing the mark! Here's my working assumption - everything Nintendo showed today will be released this year, except Smash. I think Nintendo could even hit Smash for December 2013. (That'd be the triumvirate of 3d Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash for Holiday 2013). I also expect Nintendo to show Retro's title at E3, for release this year.

fans are certainly hopeful for 2013 :)

teiresias

Metroid Other M tells me that fanbase doesn't eat up everything.

Metroid Other M does nothing but demonstrate how depressingly god awful things have to get before Nintendo fans actually admit something Nintendo puts out isn't the pinnacle of gaming.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I don't know if you want a response, but I can't until you clean up the English in your post. I sadly have no idea what you're trying to say.

He's clearly referencing Space World 2000 (or was it 2001?) when Nintendo did demonstrate their road map for GCN. I would also reference E3 2006 when they went balls deep with Wii. Or the crazy 3DS E3 where they showed a ton of stuff. This is not new to Nintendo, but rare.

He's also stating "since when have they not shown their future road map?" He's right... they have for almost every console I can remember. It's just later now than it has been.

He then says "the hell?" Which would mean "what the hell are you thinking?"

Then he states in clear english, "Are we attacking everything now?" This references your clear inane desire to critique this conference for anything you find as a demonstration of Nintendo's 'weakness', when there is no REAL proof of this.

You didn't have to be rude.

Oersted

I don't know if you want a response, but I can't until you clean up the English in your post. I sadly have no idea what you're trying to say.

You are right. Corrected my post before you tried to be helpful, but you are right. And while we are at it, what are you trying to say? Not really getting your point to be honest.

Sandfox

People wont give diddly squat about that controller when they see the games on the PS4 and Xbox.

People would easily accept playing real,next gen looking Mario,Zelda,Metroid with a standard design controller, instead of having their games look like 2005 level gfx for the next 5yrs.

Blowing the development budget on that Ipad wannbe was just dumb...

They obviously wanted to find a way to innovate rather than compete so closely to Sony and Microsoft and according to them they had been working on the controller before the tablet boom so in that aspect things just didn't work out too well.

Buy a PS4.

After what Sony pulled with the PS3 I'm going to take anything they say at E3 with a grain of salt.

Akey

Banned
I'm not sure how everyone expects sony and ms 5 months from now to come out and show off next gen games that will make it out by the end of the year. When what they will end up with is a bunch of games(mountain compared to wii u) that will also be found on pc and last gen machines with promises just like this for future games. I think people have focused too much on specs and not the reality of what they will be playing day one or even day 90.

teiresias

Again, this was Nintendo telling its public to wait. - BAD NINTENDO

Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. THEY'RE TELLING US TO WAIT WOOOHOOOO

Microsoft and Sony haven't told anyone anything, so that's a pretty specious argument.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Post-launch draught is not something completely unprecedented.

Exactly. I think Nintendo's post launch output is pretty dreadful, but I think people are setting themselves up for massive disappointment if they are expecting super HD masterpieces month after month after PS4/720 releases.

TriGen

I found it funny how Edge and IGN had totally different responses. I would usually prefer Edge, but I have to side with IGN on this one. This day was definitetly a positive one for Nintendo.

Gummb

When was I rude? You're looking for fights where there aren't any.

Definitely not looking to fight, that would be silly.

I just didn't find his post to be difficult to read (before he edited it), and so your post sounded incredibly rude... like you didn't want to be bothered to even try and read his post because he switched around a word. I'm sorry for my misinterpretation of events.

Care to respond to him now, though? He has a good point.

Definitely not looking to fight, that would be silly.

I just didn't find his post to be difficult to read (before he edited it), and so your post sounded incredibly rude... like you didn't want to be bothered to even try and read his post because he switched around a word. I'm sorry for my misinterpretation of events.

Care to respond to him now, though? He has a good point.

No, I actually wanted him to say exactly what he thought so I could respond. Otherwise I'd be responding to something I could only guess that the meaning of. My response is I disagree with the assertion that Nintendo always lays out the future of their consoles like this. They don't. This is a knee-jerk reaction to a bad launch, bad press, and fan backlash.

Nintendo doesn't show games: "Where the fuck are the games, let us see them!"

Nintendo shows games: "Why do you show us games which don't get released soon?"

What?

I'm surprised Edge doesn't realize they're talking about the fanbase that's been fed the same Nintendo IPs over and over again with minimal to non-existant gameplay changes and they still salivate for them everytime they're announced and take the web to declare them the "bastion of gaming." Of course, this group of people will still be interested.

Woo, you are a mighty console warrior. You should save it until the real fight this fall though.

kinggroin

Banned
I have no proof to back it up, but I'm betting after the success of the Wii they thought they could do whatever they want and it would sell. I'm just surprised that the 3DS fiasco didn't wake them up before essentially repeating the same disaster with the Wii U.

You don't believe 3DS and Wii U development was somewhat concurrent? That the fucked up 3DS launch ended up needing more resources than expected to fix, which takes focus from getting the Wii U where it needed to for its launch?

I think its clear that the system was rushed and probably needed another 6 months to bake. The only thing they thought they could get away with, was letting the platform sell on a samey Mario game, a party game and a shitload of old third party core software that too, mostly needed more time.

The company isn't big enough, or talented enough to fix the 3DS situation on a hardware and software standpoint WHILE also giving their first HD capable platform, a competent launch.

beast786

Maybe you (generally speaking) shouldn't be an early adopter then? I don't think I've ever bought a console on day 1 that had tons of quality titles every month after launch.

Yes its my fault. That not just lack of early 1st party but also non existence 3rd party. Yes, its my fault as a consumer.

But dont worry, I will NEVER EVER say anything about being disappointing. Because its my fault.

Nintendo doesn't show games: "Where the fuck are the games, let us see them!"

Nintendo shows games: "Why do you show us games which don't get released soon?"

What?

I must have missed seeing the Smash, Mario Kart and Zelda games.

There is difference between showing game and only talking about promises.

Allard

Article is a bit sensationalist but the underlying intent is correct. Nintendo gave us a console, its for sale and its buyers/potential buyers don't have a clue what is on the horizon if there was even anything on the horizon worth looking forward to, especially in the near future. The new nintendo direct did alleviate some of that concern for the far future but they are just promises, promises without even a hint when they will be fulfilled. We don't know when most these games are coming out and Nintendo has been notorious in the past to not ship a game till its 'ready' which in the case of Zelda and even some other core titles could be years after they are announced. Most thought Pikmin was a 'launch window' game and look how long its been delayed. They may do well in fulfilling the eventual promise but this conference didn't alleviate the primary concern, what the hell are we getting in the NEAR future, this year etc. I suppose E3 is another shot to do that but Nintendo's E3 offerings have been... truly horrendous/disappointing in most recent times, I truly hope that is remedied this year.

Technically Sony/MS haven't promised anything because they had been trying their hardest for months/years to downplay the next-generation of their machines was even coming in the near future so it wouldn't cannibalize their current generation hardware/software sells. Furthermore unlike Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft don't have to worry as much about how ready their 1st party studios are at launch and beyond because there will likely be a pretty high quality multiplatform games announced and launched within a year with the systems if they are as close in power as it appears to be. Basically the seemingly lack of proper third party support for the Wii U and the underlying lack of visible defining games coming out through Nintendo first party in the near future, that is what should be a concern and although I was happy with what I saw at Nintendo Direct, it did not even remotely alleviate this concern.

Sandfox

Exactly. I think Nintendo's post launch output is pretty dreadful, but I think people are setting themselves up for massive disappointment if they are expecting super HD masterpieces month after month after PS4/720 releases.

I don't see how those consoles are going to affect exclusives. Most people didn't buy their Wii U to play multiplat games.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This exactly. Nintendo's haters are growing in number. Nintendo, on the other hand, will continue to please its fans.

Get out of here with this shit. Pleasing their "fans" is the last thing they want. They want the casuals and the money they bring. Nobody is hating on Nintendo but you can be damned sure people will call them out for fucking up.

Levyne

Banned
Seems like a reasonable and understandable viewpoint to me. I will say 'x' is the first must have game for the system for me. One more and I will pick up a wii u once the titles are released.

You don't believe 3DS and Wii U development was somewhat concurrent? That the fucked up 3DS launch ended up needing more resources than expected to fix, which takes focus from getting the Wii U where it needed to for its launch?

I think its clear that the system was rushed and probably needed another 6 months to bake. The only thing they thought they could get away with, was letting the platform sell on a samey Mario game, a party game and a shitload of old third party core software that too, mostly needed more time.

The company isn't big enough, or talented enough to fix the 3DS situation on a hardware and software standpoint WHILE also giving their first HD capable platform, a competent launch.

It's more than their own development. Third party relations clearly are something they're continuing to fail abysmally at. If they were competent in that regard, their own failings at launch would be less apparent.

This exactly. Nintendo's haters are growing in number. Nintendo, on the other hand, will continue to please its fans.

Is there no end to this kind of garbage?

I don't see how those consoles are going to affect exclusives. Most people didn't buy their Wii U to play multiplat games.
Wasn't that kind of a mission statement though? We're going to have Batman, and Call of Duty and Need for Speed. All the games will be on Nintendo.

DGRE

Banned
It's more than their own development. Third party relations clearly are something they're continuing to fail abysmally at. If they were competent in that regard, their own failings at launch would be less apparent.

3rd party is something everyone should still be genuinely concerned about. I loved everything that was shown. It was comforting and surprising in all the right ways. But meaningful 3rd-party support still isn't being announced. Every 360/PS3 title announced in 2013 should also include Wii U as a platform, and it should (no brainer) release day and date with those titles, with the Wii U version having platform specific enhancements.

Beyond that, 3rd parties should be announcing exclusive titles for the Wii U that aren't party or fitness games. If Nintendo doesn't wok to foster these kinds of 3rd party relations, I fear this gen might be even worse than Wii in terms of 3rd party, and they really couldn't afford to repeat that mistake.

kinggroin

Banned

Right, that's obvious.

My point was that the botched Wii U launch had less to do (if it all) with any arrogance they may have gained coming from the Wii; which had been dead for over two years as far as mindshare is concerned, and more to do with incompetence.

They probably felt they couldn't afford to go another year or half, with no console platform to keep their audience invested in the brand. The Wii U was launched, quality be damned.

Their third party relationship just meant we weren't going to get much promised passed these launch ports

teiresias

Woo, you are a mighty console warrior. You should save it until the real fight this fall though.

Hardly, there's a reason Metroid remains my favorite Nintendo franchise and that's because it's one of the few that's gone through positive gameplay changes as it has aged. Mainline Mario games are the other, everything else, meh . . . particularly Zelda.

Pikma

Banned
I was right when I guessed that the inexperience with HD assets had taken it's toll for Nintendo, Iwata kinda admitted this, I'm sure they expected to have Pikmin 3, Game & Wario Wii Fit U and maybe one more title ready by now, it's apparent that most, if not all, of their projects have had their dates stretched already, but it's nothing worry about imo, Nintendo always take their time but they never have problems finishing their projects so it's all about being patient, it's not as if I won't have games to play in the meantime, and I doubt many of you are in the exact same place.

Gummb

No, I actually wanted him to say exactly what he thought so I could respond. Otherwise I'd be responding to something I could only guess that the meaning of. My response is I disagree with the assertion that Nintendo always lays out the future of their consoles like this. They don't. This is a knee-jerk reaction to a bad launch, bad press, and fan backlash.

It's probably a mix, but I refuse to give ground to the argument that Nintendo has never shown a road map before. Their last two console launches each demonstrated games that would not come out more than a year after release:

GCN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qUavULj4Bo
Wii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hx07coihqA

Gamecube Space World 2000 - Not only did Nintendo demonstrate Metroid Prime, a title that would not see finalization until 2002, but they also showed a tech demo that was supposedly representative of their next Zelda game (a zelda game that was completely transformed and released in December 2002). They also showed Mario 128, and we know how that turned out (Mario Galaxy).

Nintendo E3 2006 - Nintendo demonstrated Wii Music as their first game. Wii..... Music. They also showed off Mario Galaxy, which was a year and a half away, and Metroid Prime 3, which was delayed a full year.

I would also like to site that we knew about Skyward Sword about 3-4 years before release as well as a concept.

Nintendo treated the Wii U launch differently, demonstrating only titles that would be out within the launch window (through March as they stated). They obviously felt the need to push back their software to Spring and Summer for what I assume to be because they didn't meet "Nintendo" quality (like Iwata said). They are now going about showing their road map. It could be reactionary, or they could have planned this event way before. We don't know, not even you.

King_Moc

Banned
Article is a bit sensationalist but the underlying intent is correct. Nintendo gave us a console, its for sale and its buyers/potential buyers don't have a clue what is on the horizon if there was even anything on the horizon worth looking forward to, especially in the near future. The new nintendo direct did alleviate some of that concern for the far future but they are just promises, promises without even a hint when they will be fulfilled. We don't know when most these games are coming out and Nintendo has been notorious in the past to not ship a game till its 'ready' which in the case of Zelda and even some other core titles could be years after they are announced. Most thought Pikmin was a 'launch window' game and look how long its been delayed. They may do well in fulfilling the eventual promise but this conference didn't alleviate the primary concern, what the hell are we getting in the NEAR future, this year etc. I suppose E3 is another shot to do that but Nintendo's E3 offerings have been... truly horrendous/disappointing in most recent times, I truly hope that is remedied this year.

I don't get how this is different to any new console launch, ever.

beast786

I don't get how this is different to any new console launch, ever.

Because the gap is usually filled with 3rd party support. Which WiiU doesnt have. That is a big sign.

No question 1st party will be and is awesome. But if the 3rd party doesn't come in then you will continue to see these drought.

Top Bottom