• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Neoxon

It still completely blows my mind that they didn't go Pascal for this too ensure better longevity.

Oh well. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
To be fair, not even Nvidia is using Pascal for their Shield right now.

Nice to hear that Miis are still around and that there will be more creation options for them
The Miis having more customization options was straight-up confirmed a few days after the Switch Presentation.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ok, yeah that actually makes more sense. Some things I still don't get though. Like the right column for the USB row says 'disabled.' How can that be true, hasn't Nintendo confirmed that Switch has USB ports?

That row means available to application, in other words games, it just means games can't access the USB directly.

LordOfChaos

It still completely blows my mind that they didn't go Pascal for this too ensure better longevity.

Using A57s instead of A72s probably also means 20nm rather than 14/16nm. I guess Pascal and A72 just aren't fabbed out on 20nm, which then pushes the question to if they could have waited for 16nm to take the extra jump of future proofing.

mario_O

Ok, yeah that actually makes more sense. Some things I still don't get though. Like the right column for the USB row says 'disabled.' How can that be true, hasn't Nintendo confirmed that Switch has USB ports?

It USB 2.0 and 3.0 disabled. I believe the Switch uses type-c.

Blizzard

Banned
Interesting stuff, here.

Of course the software developer in me gets pissed that whoever "leaked" this stuff is likely under an NDA and shat all over it anyways by putting this documentation out there.
Yep, and I'm annoyed because I would have loved to get into the program as an indie developer and NOT leak NDA'd documentation, but people doing stuff like this makes it harder on every other indie developer.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But, but, butt Foxconn fantasy leak!! /s

I already accepted inside the toaster hw specs, so that's that.

I like the predictive keyboard and that it has themes at a first glance.

Soroc

Bluetooth hardware spec: 4.0 + LE
Application Functionality: Disabled

Does that mean the Switch supports bluetooth 4.0 LE but that devs are restricted from using it within their applications?

nekomix

Maybe it was not ready for mass production when they started production at the end of last year. No car has it for now and even the new Shield has Maxwell.

polychron

Which is mostly ok. Most video content is 24 FPS, some is 30. 60 FPS is incredibly uncommon for video content, it only really exists on Youtube. I don't know if there's any 60fps content on Netflix at all.

Yeah there's 0 chance that hardware is pushing out 4K games, so I'm hardly concerned by the lack of HDMI 2.0 support here. I'd be curious, given the proliferation of HDMI 2.0 at this point, whether it's just a cost choice to go with 1.4? I've no idea what the relative pricing is at this point.

LordOfChaos

Rude!

NtXrk7p.png

"Friend Presence is a feature that uses the Internet to convey information in real time about the online status of friends and the applications they are playing. Among possibilities, we see this being used in the application to check whether friends are in the joinable state, and to use the Friend List system feature screen to show what applications friends are playing."

Does this mean you can invite friends right from the system?

lol I see it says friend invites right before it

Shiggy

I wonder if multiple user accounts can be logged in at once, like on PS4 and Xbox One, or if it'll be like the WiiU and only one user account is logged in at once.

Yes.
The NX system supports the simultaneous selection of multiple accounts. This means that scores can be recorded separately for each user when a number of people are playing together at the same time, like a sports game in doubles mode.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It says "shared VRAM" though, whatever that means i don't think it's that same pool.

I'm really trying to figure out how the console would be able to run MK8D and Fast at 1080p with that bandwidth though.

This just going by what we know spec wise and what's been announced.

I'm guessing there isn't going to be any achievements this time around, shame. Hopefully they'll double down on My Nintendo missions.

Great! Finally sounds like Nintendo is looking at what the other hardware is doing in terms of OS features. I couldn't believe that the two-player online mode in MK8 didn't allow the second player to use their own NNID. I imagine with this new system, MK8 deluxe should be able to do that.

mrback

So no achievement system, ugh.

what is so great about achievement systems? I've never been that enamoured with them myself. what is the attraction? This is a genuine question & not trolling. Never been that bothered with the xbox & psn systems.

kami_sama

If I'm reading this correctly.

Ts6Qt0C.png

1. You can have the same Nintendo Account on different Switch's.
2. You cannot have the same Nintendo Account on two different profile on the same Switch.
3. One profile on a Switch cannot have two different Nintendo Accounts.

The second option I don't like. I think having the local profiles separated from the online account is best.

Also, like I always thought, the dev kit image is real, too many similarities for it to be a shop.

Why? They're not gonna be making giant PS4 size games for this anyway.

I think cart size is the one thing Nintendo has been flexible about before, DS and 3DS got increasingly larger cart sizes throughout their lifespan. If Square, for example, came along asking for a 64 GB card for a new FF game or something, I imagine Nintendo would be willing to work with them on that.

z0m3le

Banned

We just don't know what process node and final clocks are for this device. This leak for instance says that the CPU is 2GHz and the GPU is 512GFLOPs, but we know it isn't, we just don't know what the final clocks are, but we have 2 potential candidates;

Eurogamer leak, At least somewhat connected to this document: A57 1ghz 4 core CPU with 768mhz 2SM Maxwell GPU (393gflops, or about 4 times Wii U in single precision and around 680gflops in mixed precision)

Foxconn leak: A72 1.78ghz 4 core CPU with 921mhz 2SM 16nm Nvidia GPU 472gflops (almost 5 times Wii U in single precision and around 800gflops in mixed precision)

Does this mean you can invite friends right from the system?

lol I see it says friend invites right before it

It's still confusing, why does it explicitly just say "see if they are joinable" and what game they are playing? Is it a separate feature form actually joining them? If so, why?

Man the Switch is really an enigma, this thing just needs to come out already so all these rumors and contradictions can be settled one way or another.

Kinsei

Banned
what is so great about achievement systems? I've never been that enamoured with them myself. what is the attraction? This is a genuine question & not trolling.

It's fun to see how many people that own a game actually beat it, where the biggest drop off points are, and so on.

I'm really excited for the Switch, it has a lot of potential to be really awesome!

The specs are okay and are pretty good for a handheld/home console hybrid.

Game card capacities up-to 32GB is very interesting, it should be okay for a lot of games.

Sounds like it, yeah.
Yeah I completely overlooked this lol

Friend requests and game invites CAN be sent from the console.

Lots we're assuming the app was the only way to invite friends and now we learn you can do that on the system. It doesn't help that Reggie said you'll use the app for it too I think.

I wonder where this leaves Voice Chat then

ultrazilla

Alright then tech NeoGAF, how much more powerful is this than a Wii U in docked mode as I don't plan on using portable mode much at all, if ever. Still safe to say 2-5x a Wii U in docked mode but still just missing Xbox One performance?

z0m3le

Banned

You're making a bigger deal out of this than it is, the foxconn info is legit and it is also newer. We don't know the final clocks, but a change of 20% performance is hardly worth the big deal you are making it out to be, I mean it would go completely unnoticed to the end user and is about the same difference in performance that XB1 and XB1S has.

LordOfChaos

We just don't know what process node and final clocks are for this device. This leak for instance says that the CPU is 2GHz and the GPU is 512GFLOPs, but we know it isn't, we just don't know what the final clocks are, but we have 2 potential candidates;

Eurogamer leak, At least somewhat connected to this document: A57 1ghz 4 core CPU with 768mhz 2SM Maxwell GPU (393gflops, or about 4 times Wii U in single precision and around 680gflops in mixed precision)

Foxconn leak: A72 1.78ghz 4 core CPU with 921mhz 2SM 16nm Nvidia GPU 472gflops (almost 5 times Wii U in single precision and around 800gflops in mixed precision)

472/176 = 5?
393/176 = 4?

Wii U = 160 shaders @ 550MHz * 2 ops per core per clock = 176Gflops, single precision.

Or are you adding a multiplier for Maxwells increased efficiency over R700? In which case I'd clear that up as only Gflops were mentioned before.

Alright then tech NeoGAF, how much more powerful is this than a Wii U in docked mode as I don't plan on using portable mode much at all, if ever. Still safe to say 2-5x a Wii U in docked mode but still just missing Xbox One performance?
it's the same as digital foundry leaked last year, here was their verdict:
But perhaps the biggest takeaway from this is that those hoping for Switch to bring Nintendo back into contention with Microsoft and Sony's hardware should temper expectations. While there will be multi-platform projects (a point Nintendo made in its reveal with the Skyrim footage), we should not expect to see Switch versions of cutting-edge blockbusters. That should be fairly obvious when we consider that Xbox One S uses 16nm FinFET technology with gaming power draw in the region of 75-80W. Nvidia's GPU technology is more power-efficient, but it stands to reason that a mobile device (which typically operate with a 5-10W power budget) won't be in the same league.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

Yeah I completely overlooked this lol

Lots we're assuming the app was the only way to invite friends and now we learn you can do that on the system. It doesn't help that Reggie said you'll use the app for it too I think.

I wonder where this leaves Voice Chat then

Lots of people like to jump to conclusions...We learned a while ago, when SF2 revealed you could do a bunch of things in game, and we had a separate thread about just the online info it had. Of course those threads got a fraction of the responses as the Reggie one

Sounds about right. I mean, for a portable device, you couldn't have expected much more

I'm not a technical guru, but it sounds like "Noticeably more powerful than WiiU, even in handheld mode, but not quite Xbox One" is the consensus that I've seen from those who understand this stuff better.

Eh keep in mind this is still info from July. It doesn't even have the clock rates reported by DF.

It's very strange to be completely dismissing the Foxconn leak, considering everything they got right.

Top Bottom