• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Doom - Every Console Port Tested!

DOOM GBA fared much better than I expected; I had figured my memory was more kind to that port than it deserved.

Back in 2001 I was super impressed that you could toggle lighting and other things in the GBA port, sometimes I would turn everything on just so it looked nicer in the early levels and then turn them off when framerate tanked later on.

D.Lo

The off-screen TV shots were distracting and thoroughly unhelpful (it's not like filming a TV is representative of how it looks on a TV)
I disagree, they weren't filmed perfectly, but even from what was there it was great to see the Jaguar version on a CRT, it clearly looked better there than in captured footage. The off screen stuff, including the GBA screen, was very good IMO.

Am I crazy or wasn't Doom ported to the original Xbox by the homebrew scene of the console at the time? I have the vaguest memory of grabbing it from FlashFXP alongside other homebrew games such as Super Mario Bros. Wars.

Khaz

I disagree, they weren't filmed perfectly, but even from what was there it was great to see the Jaguar version on a CRT, it clearly looked better there than in captured footage. The off screen stuff, including the GBA screen, was very good IMO.

It looked weird, the screen appeared too bright and its colours washed out. It's good to include such footage, and it should happen more often in the future, but tweaks are needed.

The GBA off-footage was excellent however. I suppose filming an LCD is easier than a CRT.

My first ever play of Doom was on the PS1 and it truely was a top conversion - I much prefer the moody music and lighting to the original.

I also had the pleasure of experiencing the game in 2 player via the system link cable that worked brilliantly; my guess is not too many got to experience the game that way what with needing 2 PS1's, 2 TV's and the cable itself. But it was great in co-op and 1-1 deathmatch.

N64 Doom was a great game too though I remember it being a lot more challenging.

Great to know the Saturn JP version isn't better than the US release or PAL - no one seemed to know about that definitively.

Also didn't know how the Jaguar did it's colors - really interesting for that, it looks great I think. Wouldn't mind having a Jaguar actually.

mieumieu

Am I crazy or wasn't Doom ported to the original Xbox by the homebrew scene of the console at the time? I have the vaguest memory of grabbing it from FlashFXP alongside other homebrew games such as Super Mario Bros. Wars.

John said in the video that source ports was not included cos that would mean another video

Anyone tried Doom64EX? Interested in giving Doom 64 a go, I kind of ignored it back in the day because I'd played plenty of doom and 64 carts were hella expensive.

EmiPrime

We were tougher and less oversensitive back in those days.

It depends a lot on what your points of comparison were: my first experience of Doom was on a 486 at a friend's house and then my family got a Pentium computer a couple years later. I'm sure I would have been reaching for a sick bag had I been confronted by the 3DO or SNES version back then.

Good to see the 32X prototypes get some coverage, they provide a fascinating insight into the development of that version and by looking at the dates attached to them it's possible to see just how rushed it was and why the 32X was a stupid idea in the first place.

Valtýr

I kinda love the look of the Jaguar version. I'd love the color and style of that version ported to the PC version.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Anyone tried Doom64EX? Interested in giving Doom 64 a go, I kind of ignored it back in the day because I'd played plenty of doom and 64 carts were hella expensive.

It's great and the ideal way to play the game.

The guy who made Doom64EX also made the recent Turok ports and the Strife re-release. (I haven't watched the video, so sorry if this was already covered.)

Atolm

Yeah, the low and uneven framerates of the first ports shown are headache-inducing. It's incredible the things we used to tolerate. Until the PSX version I focused mostly on what John was saying rather than on the videos displayed. They were that bad.

Keinning

We were tougher and less oversensitive back in those days.

Same here
I was watching the 3DO footage thinking "hell i would probably have played a lot of that even like that back in the day"

in fact i probably played games running worse than that in my first shitty computer, or the beginning of PSX/N64 emulation

Great video John! You can make 56 minutes go like a breeze because your content is very interesting and paced brilliantly.

-Please please keep the CRT shots, they provide brilliant context as to how the pixels and polygons looked on the TVs of the time. Seeing them immediately took me back to the era in a way that complimented the full-screen video content.

-Your research as always, is brilliant. I remember the disappointent at the Sega Saturn port - not to mention confusion, when Exhumed (Powerslave), Duke Nukem and Quake proved what the system was really capable of. Its fascinating to learn more about the background to this.

-I really like how you played with the structure of your video in an unexpected way, going for quality-of-release order rather than chronological, and also taking time to include Doom 64 while making it specificially clear why it doesn't exactly fit in. Your structure worked brilliantly here - it avoided repetition, provided a clear sequence of advancement, and allowed us to see the gradual increase in quality of each port. Great stuff!

-I know your time investment for this videos is probably already huge, but if there were attached companion videos covering linked content, such as the really obscure ports and fan projects you mentioned at the end, I would have immediately clicked on them to watch. Again, this is more of a wishlist thing, as I know the main video would have taken you long enough to make and was absolutely brimming with content in of itself.

Great work!

Damn I didn't know about the never-released Saturn version. It could have been the best port :(

It would have been the best version in Jim own worlds

Given the time and freedom, yes, I'd have done a better version of Doom than the PlayStation version, and it would have looked better than the PC version too. I know for a fact, as it did look better.

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=393:rvg-interviews-jim-bagley&catid=91&Itemid=160

Xater

Great video.

Also glad Doom 64 gets the proper respect it deserves. I lived that game on the N64 and at that point I had already played both Doom games on PC.

jvm

Gamasutra.
There is a really, really unfortunate auto-caption right at the beginning. Replayed it using incognito mode...
lESEcVY.png
Would appreciate if someone else could try it just to be sure. How can I suggest a fix to the auto-caption?

There is a really, really unfortunate auto-caption right at the beginning. Replayed it using incognito mode...

Would appreciate if someone else could try it just to be sure. How can I suggest a fix to the auto-caption?

Oh snap, it looks like PewDiePie messed with the auto-caption system

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't usually watch the Retro stuff but that was super interesting.

scitek

It's funny because I've been playing Resurrection of Evil on the Xbox and had no idea about the original games being part of it. I just checked and there they are!

I have the Xbox 360 versions, though, so I don't really need them, but still pretty interesting.

Very well-made video, and like others said, it flew by. As someone who makes videos myself (usually 5 minutes or less), I can't imagine how you made an hour-long piece in three days. I assume you must've worked sun-up, to sundown and be exhausted lol

Great work, regardless. And thanks for getting DOOM 64 in there!

Top Bottom