• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Doom - Every Console Port Tested!

Lettuce

I'm curious. Why?

Lets just say he say reputation in the console modding scene for using hot glue on EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!.

There are some right horror story's of proper modders having to redo his work for customers, im sure you'll be able to find some on YouTube

Dont give Drakon any views for goodness sake!!!

Ha, had no idea about drama in the SNES overclocking scene, I just remember seeing videos of SNES Doom running slightly faster and thinking "oh, that's neat."

I feel there's a lot worth covering w.r.t. Doom fandom, modding and source ports. There's demos, early WADs and multiplayer (i.e. DWANGO, XBand, ZDaemon/Skulltag), the source code release of evolution of ports, followed by how much people have expanded the game through popular modding platforms (mainly (G)ZDoom) + total conversions. Meanwhile, an episode for OG Quake console ports, followed by info on the SP/MP community, would turn out much smaller.

Please don't focus on Brutal Doom if and when you start working on such an episode. It's gotten way too much exposure at the expense of other mods already, and it changes how regular Doom plays enough to give new players a false impression. I feel like this kind of episode fits DF Retro well, but it's definitely not a huge concern since there's some YTers/streamer already doing a good job of introducing people to modern Doom-ing.

Yeah, Brutal Doom has a... mixed reputation in the classic Doom community these days. It very quickly went from "wow, this a great fun way to give Doom another playthrough... and it's getting people interested and aware of Doom modding again!" to modders and classic Doom fans becoming very sick of how ubiquitous it became (with people always recommending it even over vanilla, or demanding mod makers to make theirs compatible with BD no matter how difficult or nonsensical that would be), how much fame went to SgtMarkIV's head, the jerk stuff he became notorious for, people attributing the years of hard work and added features by source port coders to Brutal Doom itself (or stuff like how many of its new effects and animations were originally taken from Beautiful Doom), the "it's the best/true way to play Doom now!" refrain, etc.

Justinh

Lets just say he say reputation in the console modding scene for using hot glue on EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!.

There are some right horror story's of proper modders having to redo his work for customers, im sure you'll be able to find some on YouTube

Here are some videos showcasing his work.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gametechus+drakon

(and no, I don't think Brutal Doom replaces or is the "true" way to play Doom, that's ridiculous).

Personally, I thought Brutal Doom was pretty cool at first, but then I realized that the thing I liked about it was just that at the core it was still Doom and don't mess with Brutal Doom anymore. I think Brutal Doom is pretty overrated around here, especially the newer versions which add in reload without a way to remove that "feature" (unless things have changed, I stopped caring to check a long time ago).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Don't play the Classic Doom that's on the BFG edition of Doom 3, it has framerate issues but I don't expect DF to have done research on the downloadable doom and the doom that's inside the BFG edition.
I've tested them both and have never encountered this. I just played through nearly every Doom 2 map using the BFG version on Ultra Violence without a hiccup. Where did you run into slowdown? It was perfect across all versions.

horkrux

Great episode as usual, but I think I still would have preferred a chronological look at the ports. Rankings always feel so.. idk cheap, because everyone and their mother use them on youtube.

hahaha :D

nsfw
7wkchxl.jpg

jvm

Gamasutra.
Don't play the Classic Doom that's on the BFG edition of Doom 3, it has framerate issues but I don't expect DF to have done research on the downloadable doom and the doom that's inside the BFG edition.
Thanks. I have BFG version. :(

Someone should get Bethesda to give us Doom on PS4 or via PS Now.

Really? I've got both and haven't felt like the BFG version has any glaring issues.

RAIDEN1

Goes to show for all of the Atari Jaguar's "64 bit" claim to fame, it's version couldn't hold a candle up against the N64- Doom 64! And the irony that the Saturn version of Doom isn't that much better than the 32x version despite being the more poweful console...(saying that though we never did get to see the REAL doom on the saturn either..)

I'd love to get Doom 1 and 2 on the GBA, but I'm paranoid about getting bootleg carts. Apparently that's a bad problem for GBA games right now.

Does anyone know what to look for why buying them to make sure you get a legit copy?

Daffy Duck

So on the PC what's the definitive way to play these today?

I have the games on steam (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Master Levels) and despite owning the game on the PlayStation I've never actually played though the games fully, so how best to experience it?

So on the PC what's the definitive way to play these today?

I have the games on steam (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Master Levels) and despite owning the game on the PlayStation I've never actually played though the games fully, so how best to experience it?
Since you have the .iwad game files now, download them off Steam, extract/move to a new folder, then download a source port like:

• GZDoom (OpenGL renderer + optional software rendering)
  • Chocolate Doom (virtually 100% accurate rendition of Doom on DOS)
  • Zandronum (based on GZDoom, but designed for multiplayer)

Definitely play through Ultimate Doom episodes 1 through 3, then Doom II, and then at least try Plutonia Experiment for a taste of mid-1990s fan mapping (TNT Devilution's much easier if you can't handle Plutonia, but not as polished). After that, research the Master Levels since those were submitted to id by fan mappers of varying ability.

Daffy Duck

Since you have the .iwad game files now, download them off Steam, extract/move to a new folder, then download a source port like:

• GZDoom (OpenGL renderer + optional software rendering)
  • Chocolate Doom (virtually 100% accurate rendition of Doom on DOS)
  • Zandronum (based on GZDoom, but designed for multiplayer)

Definitely play through Ultimate Doom episodes 1 through 3, then Doom II, and then at least try Plutonia Experiment for a taste of mid-1990s fan mapping (TNT Devilution's much easier if you can't handle Plutonia, but not as polished). After that, research the Master Levels since those were submitted to id by fan mappers of varying ability.

Excellent, thanks I'll check all that out.

Loved this episode, cant even imagine how long it took to make.

And thanks to this thread I will be playing Doom 64 on my PC soon, very curious, tho I still want to see it running in Nintendo 64 hardware in a CRT at some point.

Something noone has mentioned either is the awesome SNES cart:

33510-Doom_(USA)-1497230109.jpg

Hasney

Well, there is Brutal Doom footage in there at the end where I hinted that a second Doom episode covering that side of things may appear in the future.

Yeah, I think DOOMDC (continued as nxDOOM) for the Dreamcast was the first console port that truely captured the PC version. I was a regular over at the DCEmulation forums back in the day and ended up adminning for a while and once people had worked out how to boot any CD we like they were exciting times.

Oddly, Quake was actually ported first. Titanium Studios got it working well in a week and a half to get used to working with the WinCE libraries and it was apparently just that easy. But when DOOM came along, it was just as exciting.

Then to cap off the Doom connection, Rand Linden started posting on the forums. He actually ended up sending me the Tekken 3 and MGS BleemCast discs for free which was awesome.

Rand Lindens talent is insane though. He ported an improved version of the Quake engine to the GBA with dynamic lighting and was making a game called Cyboid 3D. I think the S60 version for Nokia phones made it out, but here it is running on a goddamn iPod Video of all things:

https://youtu.be/GFKwXyhDr7U

Justinh

Yikes, I knew he was an asshole, but I never thought he was THAT big of an asshole.

I had heard about those things, but I didn't see them explained except for the real gore stuff. The thing I did see was a screencap of a post of him talking to another guy who was apparently depressed and he was giving him explicit instructions on how to commit suicide (mentioned in one of those threads).

notacat

Wish I could get high-res widescreen Doom 1/2 on PS4.

Got it on 360 though, I was happy. I'd just love it again. Also Katamari damacy for the trillionth time i've said it.

Awesome work Dark.

I must say, you brought back some DOOM thirst. I would love to replay DOOM 64.

Port it to the Switch Bethesda. Port all the DOOM games to the Switch!

Grief.exe

I'd love to get Doom 1 and 2 on the GBA, but I'm paranoid about getting bootleg carts. Apparently that's a bad problem for GBA games right now.

Does anyone know what to look for why buying them to make sure you get a legit copy?

They're probably not bootlegging Doom games.

somedevil

I would love to have a updated doom 64 port to switch but with it being in limbo no one will get a port.

Funny thing is still have the n64 cartridge of the game.

snap

Banned
Maybe not exactly in the vein for DF Retro but it'd be awesome if DF took a look at TI Doom and the other stuff that people have ported to TI calculators.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Awesome video, and I too got slightly nauseous watching it. Some of the ports are brutal!

Very surprised about the GBA version, I had no idea it was that good. Now have to hunt that down and play on my GBA micro.

psychotron

And thanks to this thread I will be playing Doom 64 on my PC soon, very curious, tho I still want to see it running in Nintendo 64 hardware in a CRT at some point.

I had this version!! This and the black Killer Instinct cart were my treasures, lol.

Skar

I really enjoyed that video. Personally I ha do issues with any of the technical aspects like editing or anything.

I'm. Surprised there isn't a port on PS4.. Seeing how good the ps3 port is made me really itch to play this game again.

I do have doom 3 on og Xbox though.. Could play that one.

Awesome video, and I too got slightly nauseous watching it. Some of the ports are brutal!

Very surprised about the GBA version, I had no idea it was that good. Now have to hunt that down and play on my GBA micro.

Funny you say that about the GBA version. I actually really wanted to buy Doom and Doom II on GBA back then, and I remember both being on sale for $10 or $20 each at the end of their shelf life, but I cheapened out (I was kinda poor) and didn't buy them. Only later when I wanted them again they were sold out and out of print and the price had gone up. I regretted not buying them for years. Until recently when I learned more about the details of the GBA ports, and this DF video relieved me from that regret since it showed me that it's not a good enough port for me to experience Doom as.

I actually never played Doom or its sequels for any considerable length of time, even though I've always wanted to. And I'd like my first experience beating the game to be with the PC version. And if I feel like checking out any of the ports I would probably go for the PS1 version, not only because it's so awesome, but also because I still have the hardware (and I adore it).

Doom 64 is the only one I played fully. Loved it. And it looks fantastic in this DF video.

I still remember Richard Leadbetter's review of Saturn Doom vividly, he wasn't pleased.
I feel sorry for Jon for having to endure those ports running at 10fps.
Great video, still remember playing Doom for the first time on a 486 like it was yesterday.

Doom for Switch better come on a red game card.

dogen

Yeah, I think DOOMDC (continued as nxDOOM) for the Dreamcast was the first console port that truely captured the PC version. I was a regular over at the DCEmulation forums back in the day and ended up adminning for a while and once people had worked out how to boot any CD we like they were exciting times.

Oddly, Quake was actually ported first. Titanium Studios got it working well in a week and a half to get used to working with the WinCE libraries and it was apparently just that easy. But when DOOM came along, it was just as exciting.

Then to cap off the Doom connection, Rand Linden started posting on the forums. He actually ended up sending me the Tekken 3 and MGS BleemCast discs for free which was awesome.

Rand Lindens talent is insane though. He ported an improved version of the Quake engine to the GBA with dynamic lighting and was making a game called Cyboid 3D. I think the S60 version for Nokia phones made it out, but here it is running on a goddamn iPod Video of all things:

https://youtu.be/GFKwXyhDr7U

That ipod video is way more powerful than a GBA though.

lazygecko

It depends a lot on what your points of comparison were: my first experience of Doom was on a 486 at a friend's house and then my family got a Pentium computer a couple years later. I'm sure I would have been reaching for a sick bag had I been confronted by the 3DO or SNES version back then.

There's another video series on YouTube with two guys playing every console port of Doom on real hardware. It's the most thorough work out there apart from DF Retro. I think it might even have been GAF's own Chubzdoomer? Anyway, one of them actually got so sick he had to use a barf bag offscreen from the framerate in some of the ports.

Top Bottom