• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some long-running gaming fansites that are still alive and well?

ScOULaris

I have a nostalgic soft-spot for the nascent days of the Internet when we didn't have one-stop hubs for all of our online gaming coverage. Over time we've moved toward aggregate sites like GAF and Reddit, which then link to bigger catch-all gaming websites like Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, Polygon, etc. As a result of this shift most of the old gaming fansites that used to be maintained by individuals or small groups of enthusiasts for their respective games, series, or genres have mostly faded away.

But in this thread I'd like to give people a chance to call attention to those fansites that are still up and running today. The purpose is twofold: give these enthusiast labors of love some much-needed exposure and help GAFers discover some cool websites that they might have otherwise never come across.

I'll start us off with a fantastic resource for fighting game fans that has been around as long as I can remember:

The Fighters Generation

tfg11-roy-droog6.png

It's a real miracle that this site is not only still around but apparently still very actively updated. The design is nostalgic in the best way, making use of HTML frames to separate the left-side navigation menu from the main content on the right. The site is chalk-full of interesting articles, fighting game reviews, and art galleries. Perhaps what it's best known for is its outstanding collection of animated character sprites. Check out these random samples that I plucked from TFG for the purpose of this thread:

Ultimadrago

somebody get joe in here

His constant need to defend everything Nintendo and Pokemon is annoying, but I will never not give the man mad props for maintaining a Pokemon fansite and community like he has.
How long has Serebii been around again?

DK Vine goes back to 1999 and have a pretty good podcast. It's sort of amazing because DK had some lean years late in the GC/GBA days.

Wow, just looking at the website layout takes me back to early 2000's fansites. Fan Art tab and all! Good times.

ScOULaris

DK Vine goes back to 1999 and have a pretty good podcast. It's sort of amazing because DK had some lean years late in the GC/GBA days.

Haha. I started poking around the site just now and came across this gem from one of their DKC2 reviews:

I love this game. I truly love this game. If it were physically possible, I would have sex with this game. Not really, though. Stop looking at me like that! I said not really! HWARF!!!

Word up

You clearly don't follow me if you think that's what I do, especially lately :p

It's almost 18 years old

Oh wow, I've seen your name and that avatar in various posts but I had assumed it was just an avatar used. I had absolutely no idea that a GAF member was the creator of serebii. Thanks for keeping the site up and running, I've spent many hours on there.

RPGfan still seems to be cranking out the reviews for RPGs and RPG soundtracks as well as steady flow of news. They've been around since 1998.

RPGamer as well. And they've also been around since 98'.

Edit: I guess this isn't exactly what you mean.

Serebii and Hardcore Gaming 101 are my favorites. Still just as great to visit today as they were years ago. Joe and Kurt and their respective helpers put in some real work and I greatly appreciate it.

Ultimadrago

You clearly don't follow me if you think that's what I do, especially lately :p

It's almost 18 years old

Hah, true that I'm likely working on outdated skimming. Great job on the website, in any case! I've used it many times for news and information with upcoming titles.

Dunan

Not really a fan site, but GaneFAQs must be 20 years old by now. (I have a 5-digit UID there; by now they must be pushing 10 million users.)

Forkball

Pojo.com is still kicking. And like many other fansites that have been around for over 15 years, it still looks like it's stuck in the 90s. While it was originally a Pokemon fansite, it now focuses mostly on TCGs, notably Yu Gi Oh. The Yu Gi Oh section of its message board has 24 MILLION POSTS.

chronocompendium.com for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross fans.

Well, it doesn't look like it will be active much longer, sadly.

JoeM86

It really seems that dedicated fan sites have become a dying thing. Most sites now are blogs and modern layouts are designed around sites like that which have very little content, just mostly historical. Alternatively, you have wikis.

About as old as it looks, then. :p

Pfft, as if websites looked like that in '99 :p

The North Castle. One of the oldest Zelda fansites out there. Only covers the pre-Ocarina of Time games, too.

Wouldn't say it's 'alive,' persay, but it's still running. The webmistress, Lady Juliet, is a very nice person.

Somewhere on there is a fanfic I wrote when I was in 5th grade. lollerskates

Theodran

DiabloII.net has been up since 1997.

I used to read it religiously from around 1998 or 1999 up until after the release of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. I was actually unsure whether or not it was still alive until I saw this thread and decided to look it up...

Also serebii. I think serebii was the first useful fan site I ever found in fact, more useful than Nintendo's official websites for Pokemon stuff at the time. Those step by step information walkthrough things he used to do for the Japanese Pokemon games when there was a huge gap in release dates were amazing.

KHlover

Banned
It really seems that dedicated fan sites have become a dying thing. Most sites now are blogs and modern layouts are designed around sites like that which have very little content, just mostly historical. Alternatively, you have wikis.

Pfft, as if websites looked like that in '99 :p
Didn't you want to modernise the design a bit? Think you mentioned that in one of the many SSB4 Pre release OT. What happened to that :p

JoeM86

Didn't you want to modernise the design a bit? Think you mentioned that in one of the many SSB4 Pre release OT. What happened to that :p

It's in progress. Mostly it's to make the site more mobile compliant. It's pretty much done, but I have an issue with how it's working on desktop that I need to resolve but every developer I have spoken to have said what I need it to do is impossible in CSS, so I'm exploring other avenues

I've tried many modern styles of layouts, but they really don't fit sites that have more than 10 pages of content that isn't just a blog with archives and a search

Wikia pretty much killed fansites.

themushroomkingdom.net
I don't think the design has changed since 2000. There's even a downloads tab where you can download Winamp skins, MOD- and MIDI-files.

Speaking of MIDI-files:
vgmusic.com

Mad Man's Cafe (mmcafe.com) tends to be active mainly when there's SNK news, but they're still around after who knows how long.

Oh right, 1994. That's... A long time.

Top Bottom