• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

hotcyder

This thread has some pretty trash opinions.

The fact that this game runs at all on a mobile device is a miracle - I don't think they could of got settings any lower without rebuilding meshes and textures, at which point they may as well made it a totally new game.

Be glad it's getting ports.

FinalAres

I went from KH Remastered to A fragmentary passage recently, and the switch from 60FPS to 30FPS was a massive shock to the system.

For all of 10 minutes.

So they've played the game at a hands-on event in portable mode, weren't given any specifics, didn't record any footage, "analyzed" the footage from the Direct instead and built a "Switch PC" to test the PC version with it

..while I don't expect DOOM to be the ultimate DOOM experience on Switch, I feel like they jumped the gun here?
wtzgU.gif
Maybe wait for the actual version instead of trying to give us the "feel of DOOM Switch"?

Thank you, this is the type of message I wanted to say, but couldn't figure out how to form.

So did they like, spend the embargo week to build a Switch spec PC to tell us how hard it is to get good performance on it and not actually tell us how they felt playing the game undocked?

I shouldn't be, but I'm a teensy bit surprised id/Bethesda would release this game in particular at 30 fps.

I hope the people that want this are happy with it in the end since that's what matters.

Trup1aya

What kind of performance did you people expect on a freaking tablet?

Like seriously, it bottoms out at 540p now, so imagine how shitty it souls have had to look to get to 60fps.

High framerate is cool, but it's also important to be able to see the screen clearly.

I dont even have a switch and I'm excited for this port. I'm wondering if it'll have Splatoons motion controls - if it does, then I'll have to find a switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So they've played the game at a hands-on event in portable mode, weren't given any specifics, didn't record any footage, "analyzed" the footage from the Direct instead and built a "Switch PC" to test the PC version with it

..while I don't expect DOOM to be the ultimate DOOM experience on Switch, I feel like they jumped the gun here?
wtzgU.gif
Maybe wait for the actual version instead of trying to give us the "feel of DOOM Switch"?

I agree with this. It's not very clear how they did this analysis going by their own words.

Wamb0wneD

wtzgU.gif

Lol... Okay then. Guess we will have to wait a bit longer for actual news. I'll laugh if this ends up 60 fps and the guy in here already sold his Switch.

Really expected 60fps from this - Wolfenstein hit that on PS3/360 back in 2014, I guess id Tech 6 is just that more demanding or Machinegames can just code like nobody else.

Rellik

I shouldn't be, but I'm a teensy bit surprised id/Bethesda would release this game in particular at 30 fps.

I hope the people that want this are happy with it in the end since that's what matters.

Why? It's dropping below 540p and using lower than low settings to get that. What resolution is it going to have to drop to for 60?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The game has been out on PC and console for over a year... So there is a +60fps version for anyone interested. Overreacting for every Switch 3rdParty release seems weird to me, those are devs not magicians lol.

Not too long ago people where doubting if such games would be able to run on Switch at all. You gotta start somewhere.

PS. Can't wait to see the footage.

The ๖ۜBronx;249530736 said:
What gets me is when people act smug about essentially not being able to enjoy as many games as others.

This is not that sort of scenario and let's not pretend it is. The game is available, at 60 FPS, on other platforms. Lots of Switch owners likely have another platform.

So for some, portable Doom at 60FPS is enticing, 30 is not.

TheYanger

I haven't yet watched this but is it really 540p?

720/30 is fine but 540/30 and i'm out.

Not sure what you're expecting. As much as the doom announcement had people going "LOL SEE CURRENT GEN CAN BE ON SWITCH"....the reality is the switch is VERY VERY weak compared to what these games are built for.

Really expected 60fps from this - Wolfenstein hit that on PS3/360 back in 2014, I guess id Tech 6 is just that more demanding or Machinegames can just code like nobody else.

Not really relevant. I mean, NES games are 60 fps, it's all about how much you have to sacrifice to get it there. There is a point where even downscaling assets they are effectively rebuilding the game, for example to get 60 fps they probably have to drop the model complexity by so much that they're remaking them completely, let alone the resolution and texture resolution sacrifices they have to make. Once you're going that far it's not scaling that is an issue.

OCD Guy

I'm not what people want or are expecting. Getting a next gen title like Doom on a portable device is absolutely superb, even at the level it's currently, a level DF thought was impressive just to confirm.

Switch isn't powerful enough to run high end PS4 games without compromise.

When Switch doesn't get the third party games, people say 'Switch isn't getting supported', 'Nintendo's third party support is poor' etc.

Then when Switch does get the games, people are now upset they don't look or run as well as on the PS4.

It's impossible for Switch to have games which look or run as well as on PS4.

Hopefully this isn't too shocking to read, but if Final Fantasy XV does come to Switch, then that won't look or run as well as on PS4 either. Shocking, I know.

The thing is, I don't think anyone was expecting the game to look like it does on PS4, I also don't think people are disappointed that it doesn't.

The issue is the framerate, in a game like doom it's going to be pretty jarring to play it at an unstable 30fps at less than 540p.

I'd personally have been happy with really reduced graphics and 60fps. But it seems we're getting really reduced graphics, unstable frame rate and 30fps cap.

If Activison ported call of duty it would be the same reaction if it was 30fps.

The reality for me now is the Switch will be a Nintendo Exclusive machine the way the Wii and Wii U were, and that's ok as Nintendo will release enough exclusive games that make the console worth owning.

Irminsul

wtzgU.gif
Lmao, really? Just asking because the video is gone.

Yes, the trailer from the Direct is indeed 30fps, that's not really hard to analyse. But so is Super Meat Boy Forever's trailer. Anyone wanna guess whether that will run at 30fps as well?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not too long ago people where doubting if such games would be able to run on Switch at all. You gotta start somewhere.

If it's indeed unstable 30 fps and resolution going under 540p at lower than lowest settings then that's practically the definition of not being able to run decently on Switch more or less.

Not Drake

People expecting 60FPS have been setting themselves up for a disappointment. I'm glad it's coming over and I'll grab it eventually at a lower price. Same goes for Wolfenstein.

No, in many cases it isn't. It's definitely not fine in FPS, racing and fighting games.
I mean, two of the biggest shooter franchises in recent memory in Halo and Destiny were 30 FPS throughout. Halo only recently transitioned to 60 FPS and was 30 FPS at its height. Destiny has a ~20 million strong playerbase and is 30 FPS on the majority of platforms it's available on. While I tend to prefer 60 FPS myself it's not like the larger majority of the market does, judging on consumption habits.

Turrican3

wtzgU.gif
Wait, they really did this?

What's the point, I don't get it. :-\

ianpm31

Why are switch owners on gaf so interested in performance? You would think that's the last thing to worry about when you buy this console.

OCD Guy

People expecting 60FPS have been setting themselves up for a disappointment. I'm glad it's coming over and I'll grab it eventually at a lower price. Same goes for Wolfenstein.

I don't think so.

You could argue the same for NBA 2K18 too, but I believe they could have got 60fps, but it would just have meant more sacrifices to the graphics.

My concern is that the game looks terrible right now (given less than 540p, and not even stable 30fps) and they literally couldn't have scaled the graphics back anymore as it would really have looked like shit.

Why? It's dropping below 540p and using lower than low settings to get that. What resolution is it going to have to drop to for 60?
I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not saying they need to get this version at 60, I'm saying I'm surprised (but not surprised) they'd release it at all if it is potentially this compromised. Doom is one of the few games I feel needs that FPS to deliver the experience it intends to.

Also, this isn't really an authentic test so people should probably cool their jets.

c0de

They were impressed that DOOM was running at almost 30fps on the lowest of settings on a tablet. Which is the definition of a bad port when you say it out loud.

How is that a bad port if the hardware isn't able to deliver more performance? Or are you saying they shouldn't even bother porting the game at all?

Looking at all those folks dissapointed withe the framerate... What they even expected lol.

The game looks like a miracle.

Also Panic Button is such a great name for a dev team who does third party to switch ports lol

Kinda makes me wonder why they started with New Colossus instead of also porting New Order.

New Colossus and Doom are iDTech 6 games. New Order is iDTech 5. iDTech6 is probably better suited for hardware like the Switch, given the Vulkan renderer that is already set in place and is very similar to the Graphics API that the Switch uses.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How is that a bad port if the hardware isn't able to deliver more performance? Or are you saying they shouldn't even bother porting the game at all?

Yes, they shouldn't bother with a port if they can't reach some minimum quality of the port.

Otnopolit

I'm not what people want or are expecting. Getting a next gen title like Doom on a portable device is absolutely superb, even at the level it's currently, a level DF thought was impressive just to confirm.

Switch isn't powerful enough to run high end PS4 games without compromise.

When Switch doesn't get the third party games, people say 'Switch isn't getting supported', 'Nintendo's third party support is poor' etc.

Then when Switch does get the games, people are now upset they don't look or run as well as on the PS4.

It's impossible for Switch to have games which look or run as well as on PS4.

Hopefully this isn't too shocking to read, but if Final Fantasy XV does come to Switch, then that won't look or run as well as on PS4 either. Shocking, I know.

I think you raise a really valid point about the dual expectations that people have for 3rd party with Nintendo. The Switch opens a lot of doors, and if we're being realistic, you do have other platforms to play this game on and you most likely have. The average consumer sees a Doom game for their shiny new console, they've never bought or played Doom 2016 before this, it looks good enough and the game has good reviews, and then they buy it.

You can buy it too, of course. Nintendo isn't going to collapse if Gaf doesn't buy its ports. But as consumers, if you want to draw a line on an expectation of retaining quality that does the game justice when it does arrive on the little handheld that could, then that is your choice as a buyer to show that with you wallet.

But again, I think the FPS jury is still out until outlets get their facts straight and we see some actual new footage for proof.

Oddish1

I'm actually a little unclear on what analysis was from what he played on the switch and what he played on the computer. He also spent a lot of time analyzing footage from the direct trailer to determine resolution, which seems a little questionable to me. Regardless, if it's 30fps in undocked then I don't expect docked to take it to 60fps, probably just bump up the resolution a bit.

unrealist

Although most of GAF will take a dump on 30fps.. the majority of gamers don't post or read here. Sure some sales will be affected but I think lots will still buy it.

Kikorin

I still can't belive this is working on Switch to be honest, 30fps seems an inevitable compromise, but I'm fine with It for portability.

Top Bottom